Do you like getting quote notifications in your inbox?
Yes, bring on the debates baby!
54.9% (195)
54.9% (195)
Yeah, but only if the person is praising me for my awesome post.
19.7% (70)
19.7% (70)
Depends, is the person asking me for my number?
6.5% (23)
6.5% (23)
No, usually it's something negative bout my post if not downright insulting.
7% (25)
7% (25)
No Mass Effect 3 topic? Aw... okay.
3.1% (11)
3.1% (11)
Other (please explain).
7.3% (26)
7.3% (26)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Do You Like Being 'Quoted' on the Forums?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

This topic sounds pretty pointless, I apologize for that but I've gotten rather curious after quite some time being on here.

Anyhow, do you like being quoted? It's where you get a Quote Notification when someone quotes your post in order to reply to it. I for one love being quoted, because even if it's for debating purposes or someone questioning my post- the feedback and opinions of others are always nice to see. I'm just that type of person who likes to see what others think especially on my opinion of things.

I haven't been quoted on the forums here, but generally it's okay. I'd prefer being quoted because I wrote something useful though.

Caramel Frappe:
Anyhow, do you like being quoted? It's where you get a Quote Notification when someone quotes your post in order to reply to it.

You do know you can turn the Quote Notification off?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/forum_options -> 5th Option

OT: I keep the notification on, because I want to be aware when someone is directly responding to what I've said.
As for being quoted, in of itself, I'm mostly indifferent. As long as the response isn't completely asinine.

Mixed feelings really.

My favorite are the guys that will quote you and make an argument you just debunked. Just kidding, I hate those people.

Seriously though, I dunno. It depends on who is quoting me and what he is saying.

Do I like being talked to? Holy shit, I might have to think real hard about this.

Pssst. Of course I bloody do.

Every time someone quotes me my dad punches me in the groin. He has the notifications sent to his inbox and also has an app on his Android phone to track that sort of thing. When he is notified, he will read the thread, then my post and then the response to it and then calculate how severe the beating will be, which is modified by factors such as the number of replies and the general posting 'cred' of the people that have responded.

This is why I've had an account here for a few years now but don't post very often.

Yes. I like the fact someone read my post. It's always usually to debate my opinion, though.

OneBrokePony:
I haven't been quoted on the forums here, but generally it's okay. I'd prefer being quoted because I wrote something useful though.

You've just been quoted! Congrats :}

To add something with this post- I must say that I really like your Toasty Badge.. it's a very nice badge that reminds me how I felt when I first got it. Was an awesome feeling, but also noticed that it's right when stating that I am sort of a sucker XD

Jedamethis:
Do I like being talked to? Holy shit, I might have to think real hard about this.

Pssst. Of course I bloody do.

Oi, why don't you talk to me more often then? I see how high your post count is- Mr. Chatty, so hit me up now and then okay?

lol only if you want.

Jaga Jazzist:
Every time someone quotes me my dad punches me in the groin.

That has to suck.

Yeah, I generally like being quoted. I sometimes forget which threads I've been in, so the quote is the fastest way to remind me to go back and look at the thread.

Yeah I like being quoted. It means something I can reply to. I get disappointed to find no quotes sometimes. I'm a rather talkative person. Though if it's an argument that has just dragged on and on I start to dread it as I feel obliged to reply but I have nothing worthwhile to look forward.

Jaga Jazzist:
Every time someone quotes me my dad punches me in the groin. He has the notifications sent to his inbox and also has an app on his Android phone to track that sort of thing. When he is notified, he will read the thread, then my post and then the response to it and then calculate how severe the beating will be, which is modified by factors such as the number of replies and the general posting 'cred' of the people that have responded.

This is why I've had an account here for a few years now but don't post very often.

He what?! Whenever someone quotes you? Oh my, let's hope no one... oh.

OneBrokePony:

And now you are! You're welcome :)

OT: Meh. It's not a bad feature but I neither like nor hate quote notification. I only recently turned it on and it's not really that useful. Then again, it's not that bad either, so I intend to leave it on. The only annoying thing is the flashing envelope symbol at the top of the page - it really irritates me when I see it, so I have to go and check my PMs as soon as possible.

Yeah, I do.

Though on days where I post something unpopular it can get wearisome, I'll post an image in a sec as an example.

EDIT

Here

This isn't the only page of this.

Mortai Gravesend:
Yeah I like being quoted. It means something I can reply to. I get disappointed to find no quotes sometimes. I'm a rather talkative person. Though if it's an argument that has just dragged on and on I start to dread it as I feel obliged to reply but I have nothing worthwhile to look forward.

I think you've just summed up how the general community feels about being quoted lol. But specifics and particular reasons are always great to hear about which is why this thread was made- my curiosity demands to know *shrug* Although, I love being quoted no matter how good or bad it gets. I just love it, simple as that. :}

Caramel Frappe:

Mortai Gravesend:

I think you've just summed up how the general community feels about being quoted lol. But specifics and particular reasons are always great to hear about which is why this thread was made- my curiosity demands to know *shrug* Although, I love being quoted no matter how good or bad it gets. I just love it, simple as that. :}

Well my particular reason is I'm just really talkative when allowed free reign. Probably too much.

I usually like it but... it means I have to think up a reply to a post I might very well hate or find to be a headache. That's the point where I dread it instead of love it. D=

No, and I'll be very upset if anyone quotes this. /sarcasm

Yeah, I'm fine with it. The whole point of coming to a forum is to listen to the opinions of others & sometimes disagree with them. The quoting system here makes it a lot easier to keep track of than other websites.

Matthew94:
Yeah, I do.

Though on days where I post something unpopular it can get wearisome, I'll post an image in a sec as an example.

EDIT

Here

le snip

I've had those before, but never that bad....if you don't mind me asking what did you say? Or more accurately, what was your differing opinion?

Also, I don't mind being quoted, it's nice to see what people are saying to me directly without having to go and F5 constantly

Lionsfan:

Matthew94:
Yeah, I do.

EDIT

Here

le snip

I've had those before, but never that bad....if you don't mind me asking what did you say? Or more accurately, what was your differing opinion?

Also, I don't mind being quoted, it's nice to see what people are saying to me directly without having to go and F5 constantly

A girl discovered a particle by accident using a pieces of a model of a molecule in chemistry. She asked if it was real to her professor. He found out that it could be real and may have a use.

I said I didn't care as it was probably by accident, it turned out it was. I think I said it wasn't impressive as the teacher did the work and not her.

It was messy, I'll tell you that. God help you if you don't praise a child. You would think I was the devil in that thread.

I feel like I've been here before...

OT: But yeah, more often than not I generally like the idea of my opinion actually being noticed.

Definitely depends on what I've posted that day. If I know it's harmless, or conforming to the popular opinion, then I don't have a problem. When I'm going against the majority, I get a bit worried. I do like it when someone quotes me on one of my reviews to point out an error or something, so I can fix it ASAP.

I do, it goes to show people are actually paying attention to the thread.
A lot of the time it seems to be like this though:

Me:
I love cats :) they're so cute lolololol.

Random user:
Oh, so you're saying you hate all other animals? What scum!!!

I absolutely hate those who don't read what other people said to you and just regurgitate what others have said T_T

Marter:
Definitely depends on what I've posted that day. If I know it's harmless, or conforming to the popular opinion, then I don't have a problem. When I'm going against the majority, I get a bit worried. I do like it when someone quotes me on one of my reviews to point out an error or something, so I can fix it ASAP.

Why would you be worried?

You can just give a warning to the person for any reason and end the discussion that way.

I guess that way you would be... hammering home your point.

OmniscientOstrich:
I feel like I've been here before...

Oh? This is the first time I have ever made a thread about quotes though. Did someone else make something like this? :o

Matthew94:
Yeah, I do.

EDIT

Here

LMAO I remember that article and damn people were quoting you left and right XD

No, I really don't. Not lately at least, because it's almost always someone who just feels they need to tell me how I'm wrong or why it's stupid. Unfortunately there's pretty strict rules here, so I can't tell them to stfu.

I don't mind being quoted if it's something else, but it's just been the same thing lately.

Well, it always feels nice to be acknowledged, I guess. Not terribly important to me though.

Matthew94:

Lionsfan:

Matthew94:
Yeah, I do.

EDIT

Here

le snip

A girl discovered a particle by accident using a pieces of a model of a molecule in chemistry. She asked if it was real to her professor. He found out that it could be real and may have a use.

I said I didn't care as it was probably by accident, it turned out it was. I think I said it wasn't impressive as the teacher did the work and not her.

It was messy, I'll tell you that. God help you if you don't praise a child. You would think I was the devil in that thread.

Holy shit, I've been looking through that thread....and you're getting hammered for saying stuff you didn't even say. I guess it's the problem with the internet, if you say something contrary to Forum Opinion everyone else will try to beat you down

It depends what they are saying, but in general, unless they are attacking my point of view, I don't mind at all. It's nice to know people agree with you from time to time :) Also, it helps if you were trying to get a discussion going, to know they other person has answered.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Seriously though, I dunno. It depends on who is quoting me and what he is saying.

SmashLovesTitanQuest is a scholar, a gentleman, and God's gift to women.

I love being quoted regardless of what they have to say.No it's not because of that nice flashing 1 >.>.

BloatedGuppy:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

SmashLovesTitanQuest is a scholar, a gentleman, and God's gift to women.

Now thats what im talking about.

And if I may return a compliment, BloatedGuppy is a great judge of character ;)

i like it but when you get allot of people posting the same counter argument you just responded to (or just responding in the same way) it can get annoying

it probably happens to me more than others because i like to make controversial threads like gun legalisation and health care

Caramel Frappe:
Oh? This is the first time I have ever made a thread about quotes though. Did someone else make something like this? :o

Eh, it's happened a few times before, but I wouldn't about it.

Don't quote me on this, but I like being quoted. It shows someone is paying attention to you. The response is usually negative, but not always.

Nouw:
I love being quoted regardless of what they have to say.No it's not because of that nice flashing 1 >.>.

This is pretty much unrelated; but everytime I see your avatar, it's so hypnotizing.

I really enjoy it, though it can get a little irritating if I post something really popular or something really controversial. Though, if it's just about how great I am, or funny, then I'm perfectly fine! (Hint,hint)

It depends on what I was being quoted on.

I do enjoy someone acknowledging what I said and wants to talk about it, but it kinda sucks when you're being quoted and yelled at for having a differing opinion.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked