Mogworld

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So after thinking about it a lot, I decided to buy the book about a month ago. I like Yahtzee, so I figured his book was gonna be kinda like his reviews. I read the synopsis and I thought it was alright.

And then I started reading it.

And I can't freakin' put it down!

It's so well written, it's witty and interesting. It makes fun of all known videogame cliches and tries hard to avoid them. And so far, it's doing one heck of a job. I could go on praising the book but...well, I think you get the message. I've already read half of them. I think it has become one of my favorite books of all time, right there somewhere in the top 3 (I do like to read).

So I was wondering: Anyone else who's read the book?
Anyone interested in the book?
Anyone who likes/dislikes the book?
(Bonus) Anyone who recommends any other books similar to Mogworld?

PLEASE try to avoid spoilers. And...GO!

I remember hearing about it and wanted to read it. Then I forgot about it.
Will be going in the next few days to get a copy now that I've been reminded of it, thanks :)

Psykoma:
I remember hearing about it and wanted to read it. Then I forgot about it.
Will be going in the next few days to get a copy now that I've been reminded of it, thanks :)

YES. DO IT. GO TO IT!

In all seriousness, if you enjoy reading and you wanna try something different, try this one. it oozes Yahtzee's style (Obviously) so if you're into that, then you'll have fun. If not, it's still fun to read.

Yeah, I think Fun is the right word.

Yup I bought it (it was sheer luck that the Waterstone over here had it since it never have game related novels I want to read) and likwise I love. You can tell Yatzee wrote it for sure due to this written style (which can be abit hard to follow at first) and the humour inside it.

Also no, I don't really know about other book similar to Mogworld since I don't read alot of books.

Beautiful End:

That would be me. I have it on my Amazon wishlist just waiting to be purchased.

And I just did. I was a bit tight with the money when I wishlisted it and afterwards I sort of forgot about the book. So now I bought it along with John Dies At the End. Not bad, the books were about 12 in total, so that's all right with me.

Its on my list to buy when my last ever student loan comes in, want, want, want!

By then I may have finished Ciaphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium, which is fucking awesome.

DoPo:

Beautiful End:

And I just did. I was a bit tight with the money when I wishlisted it and afterwards I sort of forgot about the book. So now I bought it along with John Dies At the End. Not bad, the books were about 12 in total, so that's all right with me.

Oh, yeah! I was gonna buy John Dies at the End too, but I decided to go with Mogworld first. Oh, and You Might be a Zombie too. They're just books Amazon recommends if you're into Mogworld but...eh, why not?

Beautiful End:

DoPo:

Beautiful End:

Oh, yeah! I was gonna buy John Dies at the End too, but I decided to go with Mogworld first. Oh, and You Might be a Zombie too. They're just books Amazon recommends if you're into Mogworld but...eh, why not?

When I added John Dies at the End to the shopping basket, Amazon recommended me The Baby Jesus Butt Plug. I only noticed that book because I first saw the price was 6.66, so I was amused and read the title. I've got no idea what the book is about but it has a man with a gas mask on the cover. I'm still amused.

I read Mogworld a couple weeks ago - it was pretty good, worth buying and reading definitely, but I probably won't ever read it again.

As for similar titles, it reminded me very much of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books - fantasy with a very dry, British sense of humor.

ThaBenMan:
As for similar titles, it reminded me very much of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books - fantasy with a very dry, British sense of humor.

Thats how I felt about it. It was definately in the "Yahtzee style" (but Yahtzee has a sense of humour that a lot of Pratchett fans would appreciate - but filthier).

I enjoyed it and couldn't put it down either - I am now going to be ordering more copies online to give out as gifts.

It definately has Yahtzee's style all over it.

Very self deprecating, very sarcastic, very British.

Fun characters and a good plot. Well worth a read.

Yeah I really liked it. You can tell it's Yahtzee due to his name being on the fro- I mean because it sounds just ike him, I was often reading it in his voice. He uses some jokes that are in ZP too.

If I were to criticise it, it would be that the ending wasn't that great (it revealed a dramatic twist that most people can figure out way earlier in the book) and he repeats some of his jokes.

I bought it just so he would stop trying to hock it on Zero Punctuation. It isn't half-bad. Last line of the book kinda stuck with me. Made me pause ya' know.

I got it last year, It's acually really good!
I have read it about 4 times

I got it about a month ago now, too. Started reading it, read some of it to my friends and now it's being passed around to about 5-6 people. (on the pretense that they will buy a copy, that is).
I absolutely loved it. The ending, at least until the last 10 or so pages, I found to be pretty 'meh', and there were some parts that just felt like they were padded. But on the whole it goes easily as one of my favourite books, certainly my favourite comedy.

I thought it was a decent effort. A good key idea and some amusing writing. All in all promising should he decide to continue writing. I'd certainly read more of his work based upon this. However, Pratchett he is not.

For other gaming related literature I would recommend Dream Park by Larry Niven and Steven Barnes and Demons Don't Dream (my favourite Xanth novel) by Piers Anthony.

ThaBenMan:

If it's similar to Pratchett, then Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is close as well. And a must read for any sci-fi/humour lovers.

I want to read it, but my local bookstore apparently only has it to buy online, so I guess I'll try it...

I remember reading that chapter he put on here when it first came out and really enjoying it.
I always intended to purchase but forgot about it so thanks for reminding me!

I definitely enjoyed it and it's up there on my all time favourites. Unfortunately it come nowhere near my all time favourites,The Rangers Apprentice series and the Night Angel Trilogy.

As a pretty avid viewer of ZP, I was glad that this book had a lot of references to the show. This has been one of the only books to make me laugh out loud when a bunch of friends and I were watching a movie. I hope Yahtzee writes another book.

SirDeadly:
I definitely enjoyed it and it's up there on my all time favourites. Unfortunately it come nowhere near my all time favourites,The Rangers Apprentice series and the Night Angel Trilogy.

Those are two of my favorite series too, especially the night angel trilogy.

Read it a couple of months ago.It was fairly enjoyable even if it's not the style of book I normally go for.I'd agree with people that it's very Pratchett-esque

Put it this way: when I moved into my new house last September I was living alone for a few days until my housemates arrived and I was unwilling to use the electricity on my own(it felt selfish). So... the first full day I lived there alone, I read Mogworld straight from about midday to nine or ten at night.

I got it last year, read it through pretty quickly - considering that I rarely get more than a few hours to string together at any one time, it was an achievement on Ben's part to keep me gripped for so long.

It was funny and in places quite deep.

If you've not got it yet, you should.

I'm almost annoyed. First thought:
"Oooh, Yahtzee wirtten a book, It'll probably be quite good"
Second thought:
"It fucking better be or I shall take as much joy in dismantling it as he does in every game Ever"
Read the book, third thought:
"Cock. It was good."

I own it, I enjoy it immensely, and I have given it a position of pride in the front row of my bookshelf. It is excellent and I would recommend it to anyone, even non-gamers; I've never played a second of World of Warcraft and still love the book to pieces, so I can't imagine other people wouldn't.

The only complaint I have is...well, actually, it's not properly even a complaint. I'm not sure I think as much word count as was spent explaining the relationship of the game's developers to the world was necessary; I think most readers would have figured out they were reading about computer programs talking to computer programmers,* and it might have been funnier when the light bulb above the reader's head turned on. Otherwise, I have nothing but praise.

*I don't think I'm spoiling anything here, since Yahtzee flatly says in at least one review that it is a novel about World of Warcraft.

DoPo:

Beautiful End:

DoPo:

When I added John Dies at the End to the shopping basket, Amazon recommended me The Baby Jesus Butt Plug. I only noticed that book because I first saw the price was 6.66, so I was amused and read the title. I've got no idea what the book is about but it has a man with a gas mask on the cover. I'm still amused.

Huh, when I added John Dies at the End to my cart, Amazon recommended You Might be a Zombie Too. It seems to be about interesting, random and amusing facts about whatever...or so I gathered. But I am very tempted to get it.

I thought Mogworld was pretty charming, and it felt very Yahtzee-like. A good read overall.

Beautiful End:

DoPo:

Beautiful End:

Oh man, John Dies at the End is a fantastic book. Way above my expectations for this sort of thing (books written by people who write entertainment articles on the internet). Mogworld's fun, but John Dies at the End is, well, amazing. I love Yahtzee, but David Wong is a much better writer.

Beautiful End:

So I was wondering: Anyone else who's read the book?
Anyone who likes/dislikes the book?
(Bonus) Anyone who recommends any other books similar to Mogworld?

PLEASE try to avoid spoilers. And...GO!

Heya, I made my local bookstore pre-order it for me and got it at launch day.
Really like the book and as you said, witty!

Similar books might be The Hitch hikers Guide to the Galaxy books if you haven't read them.
5 or 6 book series (can't remember) which is really well written and has some of the most sick, absurd plot twists ever to probably be made in any medium.

Beautiful End:

DoPo:

Beautiful End:

Huh, when I added John Dies at the End to my cart, Amazon recommended You Might be a Zombie Too. It seems to be about interesting, random and amusing facts about whatever...or so I gathered. But I am very tempted to get it.

You Might Be a Zombie was one of the other recommendations, yes. I'll get it just not now. I don't even know why, probably because I have other stuff to read. It has really good reviews and it was written by the guys at Cracked, so I doubt I'll not like it.

Guffe:
[Similar books might be The Hitch hikers Guide to the Galaxy books if you haven't read them.
5 or 6 book series (can't remember) which is really well written and has some of the most sick, absurd plot twists ever to probably be made in any medium.

H2G2 is a trilogy, i.e., five books. But the last edition I bought had all five books plus a short story featuring Zaphod Beeblebrox at the end.

im waiting for it to be released on Kindle. the second it comes out, i'll buy it.

Although I think Yahtzee is awesome, I was skeptical of his ability to write decent fiction. Then I looked for the book in my local Waterstones on a whim, read the first few pages, and found it to be pretty damn amazing and hilarious. Therefore, it is now on my 'to read' list. However, I need to finish Halo Bloodlines, Halo Primordium, and then buy and read the entire Hunger Games Trilogy first (as my current 'to-read' list), then Mogworld will be the next in line :D.

dyre:
I thought Mogworld was pretty charming, and it felt very Yahtzee-like. A good read overall.

Beautiful End:

DoPo:

Oh man, John Dies at the End is a fantastic book. Way above my expectations for this sort of thing (books written by people who write entertainment articles on the internet). Mogworld's fun, but John Dies at the End is, well, amazing. I love Yahtzee, but David Wong is a much better writer.

Wow, is that so? I was a bit skeptical about buying a book I knew nothing about (John Dies at the End). But if it's that good, then I should reconsider. Hmm..

*Goes to Amazon's wish list*

Beautiful End:

dyre:

Beautiful End:

Wow, is that so? I was a bit skeptical about buying a book I knew nothing about (John Dies at the End). But if it's that good, then I should reconsider. Hmm..

*Goes to Amazon's wish list*

Yup! I went into it thinking "well, I think this guy is pretty decent on cracked.com, maybe this book will have a few nice laughs," and came out of it thinking "holy shit, this was not only funny, but engaging, genuinely well written, and even scary!"

It has a pretty weird cover though. A dismembered hand isn't the best thing to put on a book cover >_>

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked