Fixing Misconceptions: Pickup trucks, SUVs, and muscle cars

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

So, with all the talk of gas prices in the news again here in the states, I have seen may Euros on here talking, again, about how bad our Pickup trucks, SUVs, and sporty muscle cars are. Saying things like "They are too hard to handle.", and "They are road hogs.", and my favorite "They get such bad gas mileage." I am here to break those misconceptions, and other anyone brings up...

First, lets handle the easy ones:
1) Bad Handling: Handling for a vehicle is entirely subjective and depends on the drivers skill, not weather it is a certain class of vehicle (although, that certainly has some affect). I, personally, found it harder to drive my dads 2007 Chevy Silverado than to drive my 1972 Chevy Cheyenne, which had no power steering, no power brakes, no anti-lock brakes, no....anything really, while the Silverado did.

2) Road Hogs: They take up one lane of traffic.....just like every single other car on the road. EVERY...SINGLE...ONE. So I dont see the complaint there.

And now the big one:

3) Gas Mileage: Yes, they all have bad gas mileage. But people miss the point. They look at the gas mileage and write them off:

Pickup trucks....are for transporting heavy loads. And that is what most people that I have seen use them for. You will almost always see people with a toolbox in the back of thier truck. Or they will have a horse trailer hooked up and pulling livestock. They are just smaller versions of heavy-class tracter trailers, heck, they are even on the same scale as them. Same thing with SUVs. They are just bigger, more powerful (thus able to pull things) minivans. Plus, they are more durable. Most pickup trucks keep going...and going...and going. My Cheyenne, dispite being 40 years old, was still running on the engine that was put in it in the factory in 1972 (with afew new parts). They also have FAR superior abilities on rural roads that are poorly paved, if at all.

As for Muscle cars....excluding what I have already said, as far as I am concered, so long as you people across the pond keep building overpriced and obnoxis supercars[1] Then we should be allowed to keep building our beautiful, loud, easy to drive muscle cars.

Capchta: Get over it

Really people, you need to.

[1] I am just kidding. Just poking fun at the fact I only like American made cars

BOOM headshot65:
snip

That's not a ute.

That's a ute.
The R8 Maloo. Because Australian cars are best left in Australia, without Americans ruining them.

ResonanceSD:

BOOM headshot65:
snip

You call that a ute? This. Is a ute.

The R8 Maloo. Because Australian cars are best left in Australia, without Americans ruining them.

I am not going to say anything, because my bias toward anything made by Chevy, Ford, or Chrystler, or any companies they own (like Dodge, Cadillac, and Lincoln) will cancel any real info......

Something tells me the average pickup driver doesn't engage in logging, farming or the towing of diggers. I don't know why, just a feeling.

I would assume the average american would be fine in a smaller car, if they could fit in it.

Schwing!

Oh yes, I went there.

Matthew94:
Something tells me the average pickup driver doesn't engage in logging, farming or the towing of diggers. I don't know why, just a feeling.

Well maybe thats the thing. I live in the midwest. Almost every pickup truck I have seen is used for cargo purposes at some point in its life. When I went to Washington DC, where there are no farmers, I saw maybe 2 pickups the whole time I was there, and they both had company logos on them. The fact remains though, most people with pickups use them for hauling. Not all the time, but its still better to have one on hand than not when you need cargo moved.

BOOM headshot65:
snip

Um, did you get that I just hit you with this?

I live in Texas and I'm pretty confident in saying 9 out of 10 trucks I see have never seen so much as a winding rural road.

My car on the other hand...

NO MY CAR IS NOT A CHEVY SONIC SILLY CAPTCHA. And it never will be. D:<

ResonanceSD:

BOOM headshot65:
snip

Yes. Yes I do. As I said, my "Everything American Made" bias over-rules that.

I know people who have trucks exclusively to haul their boats.
I have a truck because I live off a dirt road but I live 5 minutes outside of a metropolis so people always give me shit for my truck. Not to mention it's damn handy for clearing brush, towing tools and everything that comes with maintaining a small acreage.
Real trucks have horns by the way.

BOOM headshot65:

ResonanceSD:

BOOM headshot65:
snip

Yes. Yes I do. As I said, my "Everything American Made" bias over-rules that.

Jeremy says otherwise.

All I have to say is: He makes a good point, american cars are bad because they are american.

Checkmate, yankies.

ace_of_something:

All vehicles have horns?

Did I read your comment wrong, I haven't ever been in a wehicle without one in the UK.

*shrug* I like my truck, though I don't like driving through towns with it, don't trust any one and the longbed means I've got bore to be hit with. As for how it's used, we moved a lot and trucks are good for hauling junk around. It's also a good place to put a bike if you have one and can get it into the bed. I will admit there are people who buy big trucks for... iunno, reasons that I can't be assed to described, but in my hometown if they don't get put to some work, they usually end up mudding in them.

And now I'm really sad, I can't watch Dundee on netflix /qq

I must say, there is a lot of weight put on the cars and not nearly as much put on the drivers. Drivers need to be aware of the economical concerns as their driving, including but not limited to their fuel efficiency. However, one of those economical concerns IS choosing the right car for the situation. Although there's nothing wrong with owning an SUV, if you're not using it for things an SUV is suited to you could probably get something cheaper to run for the same job.

BOOM headshot65:
First, lets handle the easy ones:
1) Bad Handling: Handling for a vehicle is entirely subjective and depends on the drivers skill, not weather it is a certain class of vehicle

Untrue. SUVs and large cars have crap turning circles and higher centres of gravity. The longer a car is, the slower the steering responds too and the harder they are to drift controllably.

BOOM headshot65:
Pickup trucks....are for transporting heavy loads. And that is what most people that I have seen use them for.

Oh come on, Americans are fat, but to class them as heavy loads, that's going too far. In the meantime, you can even fit a toolbox in a bloody Smart Car:

And that's as small as cars get. Even the smallest cheap cars like the Peugeot 100 series or the Renault Clio are much larger.

ace_of_something:

This, is a truck:

That little comment about handling being subjective and depends on the drivers skill. Yeah that's total trash. A cars handling depends on things such as its brakes, suspension, etc. If a car understeers, no matter who drives it you have to drop down to 10 mph to take a slight turn. Trucks have horrible handling by design; they have a high center of gravity, carry more weight, and the weight is placed all wrong. Also, something can hog the road while only taking up one lane; its harder to pass someone safely if they take up the entire lane.

Blablahb:

Oh come on, Americans are fat, but to class them as heavy loads, that's going too far. In the meantime, you can even fit a toolbox in a bloody Smart Car.

Hay Bales. Campers. Boat Trailers. What are those?? Again, A truck is a utility vehicle, it is in the same scale as 18-wheelers, just lighter.

Also, not the kind of tool boxes I am talking about. They are designed strictly for pickups:

Plus, I cant fit in those Smart cars. I am 6'1", the one time I tried, my knees where in my ears. They are also too low to the ground, but I have that problem with most cars, not just the smart car. And I hate having to load them when I am bagging at work because they are too short for me to get in.

By taking away trucks, you take away the working classes bread and butter vehicle. The construction worker, the farmer, the trucker, they would all be in deep trouble without pickup trucks.

Blablahb:

ace_of_something:

This, is a truck:

He ment like this:

Hey, I bought a truck so I can be "the guy with a truck" in my social circle. Need to move a couch/bed/dresser/riding lawn mower? You call me. Does it cost me more in gas to use on a daily basis? Yup, but oh well.

BOOM headshot65:
*snip*

Matthew94:
*snip*

Blablahb:

All vehicles have horns?

Did I read your comment wrong, I haven't ever been in a wehicle without one in the UK.

You all make me sad.

This is what i meant.

ace_of_something:

BOOM headshot65:
*snip*

Matthew94:
*snip*

Blablahb:

All vehicles have horns?

You all make me sad.

This is what i meant.

So that image isn't showing up on the Browsers, just to let you know. Was it supposed to be a pro-Dodge image?

Lionsfan:

ace_of_something:

BOOM headshot65:
*snip*

Matthew94:
*snip*

Blablahb:

All vehicles have horns?

You all make me sad.

This is what i meant.

So that image isn't showing up on the Browsers, just to let you know. Was it supposed to be a pro-Dodge image?

What browsers? Shows up on the three I have just fine. I'm not computer savvy so I'll change it. Not sure why i wouldn't.

It's the logo. The logo has horns and just... i don't know how else to explain it. It's a phrase I've been hearing since I was a kid. (my dad always drove chevys though)

I can totally see why soccer moms drive huge SUVs here in Dallas, what with all these huge mountains and their love for off-roading.

ace_of_something:

Lionsfan:

ace_of_something:

You all make me sad.

This is what i meant.

What browsers? Shows up on the three I have just fine. I'm not computer savvy so I'll change it. Not sure why i wouldn't.

It's the logo. The logo has horns and just... i don't know how else to explain it. It's a phrase I've been hearing since I was a kid. (my dad always drove chevys though)

This is what I see on Mac and Firefox

And I know what you mean by the Dodge Horns logo, I'm a Michigan kid, I know all the car logo's haha

Edit: And now the first image is showing up, but none of the reposts. Weird

ace_of_something:

BOOM headshot65:
*snip*

Matthew94:
*snip*

Blablahb:

All vehicles have horns?

You all make me sad.

This is what i meant.

*facepalm* Im a moron. Sorry, I am more of a Chevy guy, partly because I think they look better the older they get (until you hit the 40's, then its Ford), but mostly because my dad hates anything not made by General Motors. Although, I can tolerate anything as long as I can be at least 70% sure it was made in an American factory.

BOOM headshot65:

3) Gas Mileage: Yes, they all have bad gas mileage. But people miss the point. They look at the gas mileage and write them off:

Yeah but not everyone use them for that, in fact some people use them ONLY as a means of transportation...

I agree about utes and 4WDs (or pickup trucks and SUVs if you're USian, even though a 4WD could technically be anything) when being used appropriately.

But most of the time I see a 4WD, it's not, it's for driving round the city. They even have slightly different variants of them specifically for driving in "the urban jungle".

Offroad vehicles are for offroad. If I see one in the city and/or not covered in mud/dust, I'm going to make assumptions about the drivers. Especially when they have to slow down to a dead crawl to go over a speedbump.

Oh, in regards to taking up space, I think that might be in terms of visibility. Lots of fun when a normal car is in a car park between two offroad vehicles that have clearly never been offroad or designed with that in mind.

I think point three was always more directed at the geniuses who live in the city, never leave the city, and decide that they must absolutely must have an SUV for no real reason.

Matthew94:

I would assume the average american would be fine in a smaller car, if they could fit in it.

Schwing!

Oh yes, I went there.

I can't say this universally, but in my area every single person that has a pick-up truck has one so they can haul firewood, or pull trailers, a very few even need it for the super-heavy stuff like logging and ect. Do you honestly think people drive a vehicle with under 15mpg just cuz? Every single person I have met who drives a pick-up truck drives it because they need it.

I think the vocal minority of Europeans that bitch about it need to shut the hell up. What people an ocean away buy to drive is none of their business. But if they insist then we'll start ripping on those little 70-90HP rotbox hatchbacks that would fit in the trunk of a Crown Vic that they seem to adore, and we won't stop trying to get them into nice cars until they stop trying to get us into shitty little underpowered rotbox hatchbacks.

What we buy to drive is our business alone. Get over it.

thaluikhain:

Offroad vehicles are for offroad. If I see one in the city and/or not covered in mud/dust, I'm going to make assumptions about the drivers. Especially when they have to slow down to a dead crawl to go over a speedbump.

I lol every time I see a mall crawler. I've had my 1WD rustbucket of a pickup farther off road than the majority of lifted jeeps 'n shiz I see every time I head out.

I actually use my truck as more than just a DD, although it does serve that purpose when called to.

Oh, and I still slow down for speed bumps. My back cannot handle what my suspension can.

BOOM headshot65:

1) Bad Handling: Handling for a vehicle is entirely subjective and depends on the drivers skill, not weather it is a certain class of vehicle (although, that certainly has some affect). I, personally, found it harder to drive my dads 2007 Chevy Silverado than to drive my 1972 Chevy Cheyenne, which had no power steering, no power brakes, no anti-lock brakes, no....anything really, while the Silverado did.

They handle horribly. I love my truck too but I'm not going to sit here and try to sugarcoat it. It handles like a fucking cruise liner. Your C10 is even worse in the bends, I at least have power steering and disc brakes in the front.[1] Europeans are used to vehicles that can turn quite well.

2) Road Hogs: They take up one lane of traffic.....just like every single other car on the road. EVERY...SINGLE...ONE. So I dont see the complaint there.

True of older ones. Newer ones? They come out in my area and fill their lane up, plus a few inches of the oncoming lane. Modern trucks are just fucking huge.

Current gen light trucks, Ford Ranger/Chevy Colorado/Dodge Dakota/etc, are as large as my 1985 half ton!

Also, european roads are about half to 3/4ths as wide as a comparable American road. They have tiny ass little hatchbacks and not much room, so they built tiny ass roads.

3) Gas Mileage: Yes, they all have bad gas mileage. But people miss the point. They look at the gas mileage and write them off

Now this you're stone dead accurate on. Pickup trucks aren't designed to get good economy or handle good. They're designed to move a lot of shit, to go offroad, and possibly even do both at the same time.

Plus, they are more durable. Most pickup trucks keep going...and going...and going. My Cheyenne, dispite being 40 years old, was still running on the engine that was put in it in the factory in 1972 (with afew new parts).

That's debatable these days. Your '72 Chevy and my '85 Ford are examples of old trucks that were built right, mine having just over 300,000 miles on the original powertrain. But I somehow doubt modern trucks could survive like our older ones have. I seriously doubt at 2012 F150 will survive 26 years of hard work and still run beautifully with 300K on the clock. I doubt a 2012 Silverado will last 40 years on the factory engine.

As for Muscle cars....excluding what I have already said, as far as I am concered, so long as you people across the pond keep building overpriced and obnoxis supercars Then we should be allowed to keep building our beautiful, loud, easy to drive muscle cars.

Muscle cars are designed to do three things: Make V8 noises, liquify their rear tires, and look awesome at the drive-in/diner. They don't need to be complex, sophisticated, fuel efficient, or well mannered to do this, matter of fact simple, brutish torque tends to do the job the best. Large displacement OHV V8s make simple, brutish torque by the bucketful, so that's typically what powers them.

Funnily enough both Britian, with the V12 Vantage, and Germany, with every AMG merc ever made, attempt to make American muscle cars year after year. Australia is probably the only non-American country to get it right though, V8 up front, RWD out back, and no control whatsoever when the V8 is active, but that may just be because Ford and GM dominate their automotive landscape as well. Those two kind of know what they're doing when it comes to muscle cars seeing as they invented the damned things.

[1] You never specified if yours had that option ticked, they came stock with front drums when they had manual brakes

Look, both sides are right in a sense. Some Americans, like myself, use trucks for the reasons they were meant for. We haul shit stuff around in it, we off-road when the need comes, and whatever else we need to use it for. Other Americans use trucks to look cool, to make loud noises, and to waste a bunch of gas.

When it boils down to it, what makes a car better or worse is how you use it. I'm not going to be driving through the streets of Rome in '66 Mustang and I'm not gonna be off-roading in a Scion Soul either. I drive a Chevy S10 Pickup not because it makes me look cool, but because it gets me decent enough gas mileage, I use it quite often to help move stuff around or I can carpool with it, and because it's pretty damned durable.

I don't think this is a European thing, it's more "not the US" in general. Russians and Chinese, Japanese all drive normal vehicles. We aren't going to drop everything and start driving your cars just because you say we should! =p

Frankly, I reckon the whole fixation on these things is just another facet of blatant American nationalism... (of course, they'd never call it that, but if it looks like a drainpipe and acts like a drainpipe...)

(Also, you can add "RVs" to that list. Seriously, what the hell? So it's like a camper vans the same size as a lorry? How do you justify something like that?)

BOOM headshot65:

Plus, I cant fit in those Smart cars. I am 6'1", the one time I tried, my knees where in my ears.

Really? I'm 6'4 and had no problem with leg room... I even knew a guy who was 6'8 who owned one, too.

Further proof, a 6'2, 245 lb linebacker owns one without problem:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/31/sports/football/31giants.html?_r=1

Lol, Amerikaner. ^^

The thing is, the car is a very cultural thing in America, as well as much more needed in day-to-day life. I, for instance, probably won't even own a car, I won't need to. I just take the tram or the bus to wherever I need to go. But if I remember right, communal transport isn't as widespread and affordable in most of America, and the only real, reliable way to get from point A to B is by car.

The rest of the world just isn't so much into cars as America. But I suppose it's good someone is.

All I ask is that you only get a monster of a SUV if you truly need it, if you live on the countryside or have a large family or whatnot. Don't get it just because it looks impressive on the parking lot. But honestly, people does that everywhere.

Now, if I do ever get a car, it'll be something economical and practical, like the red bolshevik I am. >:3

Or one of these Saabs.

Yes pick up trucks are for transporting things and what not, but if you have a huge ass pick up truck out fitted with huge-ass tires and a muffler that makes it sound like a fucking Concorde just flew by every time you rev the engine, then you're not using it for transporting stuff, you're compensating for something.

TestECull:
Australia is probably the only non-American country to get it right though

Last generation of RWD V8s in Australia now. Both Ford and Holden (GM) are switching over to AWD for the 8s... can't remember if that was due to a government mandate or not. Probably, sounds like the sort of thing the federal govt would do.

It will be a sad day for many a Hoon and Petrolhead when the last RWD V8s roll off the line.

Heh... bringing this up reminds of the time this yank was acting all "Oh, does Australia even have a car industry?"... and the silly cunt drove a Pontiac GTO '04.

thaluikhain:
Offroad vehicles are for offroad. If I see one in the city and/or not covered in mud/dust, I'm going to make assumptions about the drivers.

I use the old bushies' assumption - if you don't have mud on the roof, you're a fuckwit.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked