Fixing Misconceptions: Pickup trucks, SUVs, and muscle cars

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

I love muscle cars.

I still hate American cars in general. And I specifically hate American engineering.

Seriously? Imperial measurements...? Even the US Army uses metric.

Some pickups handle well and have great gas mileage. Like the old Datsun pickups. I love my little Datsun, I haul stuff around in it all the time.

I've never driven a pick-up truck, but I'm just going to point out flaws in your argument.

BOOM headshot65:

First, lets handle the easy ones:
1) Bad Handling: Handling for a vehicle is entirely subjective and depends on the drivers skill, not weather it is a certain class of vehicle (although, that certainly has some affect). I, personally, found it harder to drive my dads 2007 Chevy Silverado than to drive my 1972 Chevy Cheyenne, which had no power steering, no power brakes, no anti-lock brakes, no....anything really, while the Silverado did.

The handling for a vehicle is not entirely subjective. Ever tried steering a car where the wheel doesn't turn left?

2) Road Hogs: They take up one lane of traffic.....just like every single other car on the road. EVERY...SINGLE...ONE. So I dont see the complaint there.

I can think of a few plausible complaints: people might be annoyed when the parking spaces are small and the truck is making it harder or impossible to fit your car in the next spot. It blocks more of your view on the road. Scarier for people in smaller cars?

If you're trying to fix a misconception you should take the time to look up what they think.
At this point your title is starting to feel less accurate.

And now the big one:

3) Gas Mileage: Yes, they all have bad gas mileage.

So it's not a misconception?

But people miss the point. They look at the gas mileage and write them off:

Pickup trucks....are for transporting heavy loads. And that is what most people that I have seen use them for. You will almost always see people with a toolbox in the back of thier truck. Or they will have a horse trailer hooked up and pulling livestock. They are just smaller versions of heavy-class tracter trailers, heck, they are even on the same scale as them. Same thing with SUVs. They are just bigger, more powerful (thus able to pull things) minivans. Plus, they are more durable. Most pickup trucks keep going...and going...and going. My Cheyenne, dispite being 40 years old, was still running on the engine that was put in it in the factory in 1972 (with afew new parts). They also have FAR superior abilities on rural roads that are poorly paved, if at all.

As for Muscle cars....excluding what I have already said, as far as I am concered, so long as you people across the pond keep building overpriced and obnoxis supercars[1] Then we should be allowed to keep building our beautiful, loud, easy to drive muscle cars.

Capchta: Get over it

Really people, you need to.

Okay, again if you're trying to disprove a misconception, personal experience isn't worth anything, unless that personal experience include studies, surveys and/or other real sources of information. Maybe you're in a special area making your view of the world wrong.
Maybe you're right, but you've not proven anything, and won't convince anyone.

Really this is more a rant than anything else. Calm down and try again.

Captcha: Hug me, maybe you need to?

[1] I am just kidding. Just poking fun at the fact I only like American made cars

BOOM headshot65:
2) Road Hogs: They take up one lane of traffic.....just like every single other car on the road. EVERY...SINGLE...ONE. So I dont see the complaint there.

Agreed, though truth be told, the bigger the vehicle, the more it tends to get in the way. I think a lot of the problem people have with them being road hogs stems from a number of factors:

1) A lot of drivers are really bad at staying in their lane. The number of people I see swerving around the road because they're either just bad drivers or their distracted by something else is scary. The bigger the vehicle, the more distracted driving could at least scare other drivers as they take up more space within the lane, and cast an imposing figure.

2) A lot of parking lots and spaces simply aren't made to accommodate them. Rows are too narrow, and spaces don't allow enough room for many large vehicles to reasonably fit.

3) Many bad drivers get nervous when vehicles are beside them. Anxiety tends to go up if the vehicle is larger.

If you'll notice though, none of these is a problem of the vehicle itself. It's all stupid/bad drivers and people who can't engineer a parking lot worth a damn. I have no problem with large vehicles myself. They serve a purpose and as long as they are used for that purpose then they're cool with me. I do dislike when people buy big obnoxious trucks and never haul anything with them though. And yes, it sadly does happen. It makes no sense to me since you're not using it for the thing it was made for.

Vivi22:

BOOM headshot65:

Agreed, though truth be told, the bigger the vehicle, the more it tends to get in the way. I think a lot of the problem people have with them being road hogs stems from a number of factors:

1) A lot of drivers are really bad at staying in their lane. The number of people I see swerving around the road because they're either just bad drivers or their distracted by something else is scary. The bigger the vehicle, the more distracted driving could at least scare other drivers as they take up more space within the lane, and cast an imposing figure.

2) A lot of parking lots and spaces simply aren't made to accommodate them. Rows are too narrow, and spaces don't allow enough room for many large vehicles to reasonably fit.

3) Many bad drivers get nervous when vehicles are beside them. Anxiety tends to go up if the vehicle is larger.

If you'll notice though, none of these is a problem of the vehicle itself. It's all stupid/bad drivers and people who can't engineer a parking lot worth a damn. I have no problem with large vehicles myself. They serve a purpose and as long as they are used for that purpose then they're cool with me. I do dislike when people buy big obnoxious trucks and never haul anything with them though. And yes, it sadly does happen. It makes no sense to me since you're not using it for the thing it was made for.

You should add small dirt roads to that list, because they aren't two lanes they're 1.5.

RhombusHatesYou:

TestECull:
Australia is probably the only non-American country to get it right though

Last generation of RWD V8s in Australia now. Both Ford and Holden (GM) are switching over to AWD for the 8s... can't remember if that was due to a government mandate or not. Probably, sounds like the sort of thing the federal govt would do.

It will be a sad day for many a Hoon and Petrolhead when the last RWD V8s roll off the line.

Heh... bringing this up reminds of the time this yank was acting all "Oh, does Australia even have a car industry?"... and the silly cunt drove a Pontiac GTO '04.

Remove front diff, front halfshafts, front driveshaft, weld center diff, tell ECU to fuck itself, and you're done. Any petrolhead worth their tool set can do that in about two days.

I drive an f-350 twin turbo diesel for work and a '72 Plymouth Roadrunner for fun... yes they are big, yes they are loud, and yes they love sucking down fuel more than a fat kid loves cake... but I love them....

I'm still at a loss as to how this affects anyone in the UK or why they would even give two shits what I was driving on the other side of the planet

until the day I decide to have them moved to the UK and start running over their tiny golf-cart looking smartcar shitboxes they should mind their own business

BOOM headshot65:

First, lets handle the easy ones:
1) Bad Handling: Handling for a vehicle is entirely subjective and depends on the drivers skill, not weather it is a certain class of vehicle (although, that certainly has some affect). I, personally, found it harder to drive my dads 2007 Chevy Silverado than to drive my 1972 Chevy Cheyenne, which had no power steering, no power brakes, no anti-lock brakes, no....anything really, while the Silverado did.

No, that is you creating your very own misconceptions. That's like saying fuel economy is 100% subjective because driver skill can make a tank last longer, all those subjective burning chemicals with their opinions. Don't confuse quality with difficulty and even familiarity.

The reason why pick up trucks specifically have terrible handling is: partly down to the fact that there is little weight over the back tyres for a large amount of the time, partly down to the overall wheel base/size and general weight of the thing and partially due to the suspension not being really tuned for track day handling over practical things like going over rough roads.

Not that handling has that much relevance in day to day driving at normal road speeds :/, unless it's so bad that it's actually dangerous.

Liquidacid23:

I'm still at a loss as to how this affects anyone in the UK or why they would even give two shits what I was driving on the other side of the planet

Maybe because there's this big 'drive' to lower the amount of fuel we're using? It's not like the planet is this big interconnected thing or anything. It's happening in another country so therefore nothing in America can ever have any effect on any of them foreigners?

i don't think we Europeans have a problem with people hauling stuff around in trucks, however i live in a city and i see a lot of SUVs and trucks that have never hauled anything except maybe fat and/or drunk people. and that's just wasteful, especially when those dumb shits can't park properly and take up 1 1/2 parking spaces.

I haul large amounts of firewood in an old BMW 3-series. Just attach a trailer to it and you're good to go! No need for a pickup truck. Sure, they're easier to drive and park then a car + trailer and they're better on rough terrain and you don't have to attach/de-attach the trailer all the time... I want a pickup truck now

One thing many people don't get is that, for a very sizable portion of the United States, trucks are damn-near necessary just to get around in winter.

Almost every single house in my neighborhood in Michigan has at least one pickup in addition to their other vehicles. Edit: and I'm not in a well-off neighborhood at all, by the way.

Small cars alone simply can't survive in Michigan, sometime or another you're going to be stuck in weather that only a larger vehicle could best. Something that most of Europe doesn't have to deal with at all.

I have owned a 1979 Ford Ranchero GT (with a 351 cui V8), a 1977 Cadillac Eldorado (With a 425 cui. V8), and I currently own an 1987 Porsche 944S (2.5L I4). Having driven both land yatchs and Euro sports cars (Along with a lot of trucks, my dad traded far too much), I can say from experience it is all how you drive. With my Cadillac I could pull off about 15 or 16 mpg in town (for a 7.0L engine in a massive car built in the 70's, that is no small feat). Of course the vehicle matters, but it matters more how you drive.

chadachada123:
One thing many people don't get is that, for a very sizable portion of the United States, trucks are damn-near necessary just to get around in winter.

Almost every single house in my neighborhood in Michigan has at least one pickup in addition to their other vehicles. Edit: and I'm not in a well-off neighborhood at all, by the way.

Small cars alone simply can't survive in Michigan, sometime or another you're going to be stuck in weather that only a larger vehicle could best. Something that most of Europe doesn't have to deal with at all.

I live in Norway and I drive around in a 97' Volkswagen Golf at the moment. Never had any problems during the winter.

Matthew94:

BOOM headshot65:

ResonanceSD:

Um, did you get that I just hit you with this?

Yes. Yes I do. As I said, my "Everything American Made" bias over-rules that.

Jeremy says otherwise.

All I have to say is: He makes a good point, american cars are bad because they are american.

Checkmate, yankies.

He then says otherwise after he gets to play with a Corvette.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aU09WT5rXg

Cavan:

Maybe because there's this big 'drive' to lower the amount of fuel we're using? It's not like the planet is this big interconnected thing or anything. It's happening in another country so therefore nothing in America can ever have any effect on any of them foreigners?

if you're worried about the whole planet maybe you should stop wasting energy bitching that I drive something that gets a few less miles/kilometers per gallon than you, something you can never nor will ever be able to effect and spend it worrying about all the much more massive and important issues that affect the world... right now you are wasting more resources on the power to run all the equipment it takes to post this than I waste by driving my truck over a little shitbox

Chemical Alia:
I can totally see why soccer moms drive huge SUVs here in Dallas, what with all these huge mountains and their love for off-roading.

To be fair...

The SUV has the same function as a minivan. Carrying plenty of people or stuff. However, SUVs have a helluvalot more power than minivans do, but with a similar gas mileage. Having a minivan is illogical when compared to an SUV, from what I can tell, unless I'm missing some great fact that puts minivans on the same or greater level as SUVs. The only reason I can think of is cost, weighing the price of one over the usefulness of the other.

Daverson:
I don't think this is a European thing, it's more "not the US" in general. Russians and Chinese, Japanese all drive normal vehicles. We aren't going to drop everything and start driving your cars just because you say we should! =p

Frankly, I reckon the whole fixation on these things is just another facet of blatant American nationalism... (of course, they'd never call it that, but if it looks like a drainpipe and acts like a drainpipe...)

(Also, you can add "RVs" to that list. Seriously, what the hell? So it's like a camper vans the same size as a lorry? How do you justify something like that?)

I can't speak of Russia, but you can't compare Japan or China or Europe to the United States. The weather, crowding, and infrastructure are incomparable when talking about driving.

Japan is crowded as hell, and has a fast rail system and many alternatives to vehicles, and on top of that don't have the weather that warrants trucks in the northern US. They don't have vast forests and the like that warrant vehicles with power. They don't have unpaven roads covering the entire country.

China also has a weaker climate for most of the country (that I know of), and...shit, how many people in China even own a vehicle? Their vehicles are made to be cheap, and blur the line between truck and car anyway.

Europe has, in addition to a weaker climate (barring Sweden, etc), a completely different set-up as far as cities and stuff go. Europe has most of their people living in cities, with almost everything within biking distance, and, like Japan, a railway for farther distances. The United States doesn't have that at all; everything in the US is spread over pretty large distances, necessitating heavier-duty vehicles for traversing the many areas that aren't urbanized or even paved.

Russia, I admit, I don't know much about. When I picture Russia, I picture most of the populace living in cities, but I don't know for sure. I do know that Siberia would be hell in anything short of a truck, though, so I would think that most of *rural* Russia drives heavy-duty vehicles. I would guess.

Gulvplanke:

chadachada123:

I live in Norway and I drive around in a 97' Volkswagen Golf at the moment. Never had any problems during the winter.

I had meant to mention northern Europe in that post. I'm at a lose for how to explain that part away, other than to say that I personally have had plenty of trouble in winter driving here in Michigan in small vehicles. *Shrug* I don't know much about Norway other than "gets snow."

I live in Canada, and atleast 80% of the people who live up here don't actually pull anything with their damn trucks.

Westaway:
I live in Canada, and atleast 80% of the people who live up here don't actually pull anything with their damn trucks.

other than that dangling pair of testicles? Yeah it's stupid, I understand owning a truck if you are a farmer but I see way too many city kids driving around in a sparkly F-150.

although a truck is damn nice in the winter when you're car would just get stuck in the snow.

Limecake:

Westaway:

other than that dangling pair of testicles? Yeah it's stupid, I understand owning a truck if you are a farmer but I see way too many city kids driving around in a sparkly F-150.

although a truck is damn nice in the winter when you're car would just get stuck in the snow.

Although I can't argue with that last point, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. Trucks are fine for hauling stuff like OP said, most people don't. So in practice they're pointless most of the time.

chadachada123:

Gulvplanke:

chadachada123:

I had meant to mention northern Europe in that post. I'm at a lose for how to explain that part away, other than to say that I personally have had plenty of trouble in winter driving here in Michigan in small vehicles. *Shrug* I don't know much about Norway other than "gets snow."

I don't know what the tire policies are like in Michigan, but here snowtires are mandatory during the winter months (There are still speople who gets surprised by the first snowfall every year and tries to drive to work with summertires. They usually crash into lampposts and clog up traffic).

More importantly however is the fact that all farmers and construction companies get paid to put snowplows on their trucks n' tractors and clear the roads. I have a friend who works for a construction company and he is put on "plow watch" if there is danger of snowfall, which means he have to clear his calender and be ready to go plowin' if it starts to snow. All major roads are cleard before they become undrivealbe (as long as you have snowtires on) and the roads whch are not cleard imideatly usually leads to place where people have trucks.

If it's like this in Michigan, then I suppose we're just better than you at driving. :)

Liquidacid23:
a '72 Plymouth Roadrunner for fun...

You lucky son of a gun!!>:( (Roadrunner is favorite muscle car, and they are a pain to find)

TestECull:
They handle horribly. I love my truck too but I'm not going to sit here and try to sugarcoat it. It handles like a fucking cruise liner. Your C10 is even worse in the bends, I at least have power steering and disc brakes in the front.[1] Europeans are used to vehicles that can turn quite well.

I have no idea if it had forward disk brakes. I know that it was the Cheyenne Super model if that helps (it had Air Conditioning and semi-powered steering, but it might as well have been unpowered). I, unfortunatly, dont have it anymore. It ran just fine, but the body, and even the engine were starting to fall apart, and I didnt have the money to put it back together, nor did my dad have time to install the parts (that is one of the things my dad like: He could work on it without having to go to his friends repair shop like with his truck). Plus, I am starting college in the fall, so it would have been even more used more, it would have fallen apart even faster. So, I sold it to a guy who was going to restore and sell it again, and I got a 1997 GMC Sonoma ZR2. I HATE the looks of it, but I wont complain about the 21 MPG. However, my brother thinks it looks absolutely beautiful (even with those ugly red rims on it), and he wants it when he gets his first vehicle here soon. My parents said if they find something more "my style" (IE, older than 1980 and made by GMC or Chevy) then they will get me that and give my bro the Sonoma.

That's debatable these days. Your '72 Chevy and my '85 Ford are examples of old trucks that were built right, mine having just over 300,000 miles on the original powertrain. But I somehow doubt modern trucks could survive like our older ones have. I seriously doubt at 2012 F150 will survive 26 years of hard work and still run beautifully with 300K on the clock. I doubt a 2012 Silverado will last 40 years on the factory engine.

Yes, this is very true. Actually, I would say its most vehicles now, not just trucks. This is why all but the command vehicles in the county fire department are pickup trucks older than 1994, they are easier to fix and the parts are cheaper. (they also use old, converted army Deuce-and-a-halfs. Those are fun to drive off-road fighting grassfires). This is also why I like old american vehicles. It seems that old american vehicles, weather they be cars, trucks, or SUVs, just keep on going. Maybe it is because the american auto worker put pride in the car he was working on, which is not present in the factories overseas making Chevys and Fords now.

[1] You never specified if yours had that option ticked, they came stock with front drums when they had manual brakes

BOOM headshot65:

(IE, older than 1980 and made by GMC or Chevy) then they will get me that and give my bro the Sonoma.

Nothing wrong with a Ford either. Like I said I've got an '85 F150 with an I6 and OD manual that's got 300K on the whole powertrain and hasn't been rebuilt. It isn't even falling apart either. I'd trust it to go through Fallujah, nevermind driving around in safe ol' USA.

The 300ci I6 will give a Chev 350 a run for it's money on reliability and longevity.

Yes, this is very true. Actually, I would say its most vehicles now, not just trucks. This is why all but the command vehicles in the county fire department are pickup trucks older than 1994, they are easier to fix and the parts are cheaper. (they also use old, converted army Deuce-and-a-halfs. Those are fun to drive off-road fighting grassfires). This is also why I like old american vehicles. It seems that old american vehicles, weather they be cars, trucks, or SUVs, just keep on going. Maybe it is because the american auto worker put pride in the car he was working on, which is not present in the factories overseas making Chevys and Fords now.

Built to Warranty. I think carmakers are well aware that people buy a new model as soon as they're done paying on the current one, so they build cars to be reliable as long as the warranty is still good. By that point the car will have been traded in, and they don't care how it behaves after the initial sale. I also don't think it's strictly Detroit, I get the feeling even Toyota and Honda are starting to build to warranty these days.

It's really annoying for someone like me who fully intends to keep it until the wheels literally fall off. I expect 20 years and 200,000 miles from any vehicle I buy. I don't get the feeling modern cars will make both. One or the other, not both.

I have a feeling I'll see my F150 break 400,000 miles and turn 40 years old. Whichever comes first will see the powertrain overhauled whether it needs it or not, haha.

Hey guys, all this talk of cars has made me want to share my personal favorites:

Look at this baby! It has a ton of seating, several dozen to be exact, and is really fuel efficent. I hardly have to pay for gas! And because of it's size, I never have trouble parking.

This is my favorite for day trips. It's really light, quick, and fuel cheap. Fuel only costs as much as my breakfast!

I would highly encourage you guys to try one of these, especially the latter. I've gotten so many miles out of them. You'll just have to hear these babies BURN!

Im not against people buying picup trucks to move stuff. im aaisnt peopel buying pickup trucks, NEVER driving off the paved road and NEVER dragging anything and then complaining that gas is too expensive for them.

I think what pisses people off about this is when wankers in big cities have them when they have no need for them whatsoever. Nobody will begrudge you one if you live in the country and actually need one.

evilneko:
I live in Texas and I'm pretty confident in saying 9 out of 10 trucks I see have never seen so much as a winding rural road.

My car on the other hand...

I'll agree with this and the OP. I don't know where in the midwest the OP is from, but I'm a Kansan and I could agree that 9\10 trucks I see everyday (usually with pristine Yosemite Sam or naked silhouette mudflaps and untarnished chrome trucknuts) have hauled less than my Taurus which only has to hook up a trailer to move around a lawn tractor a few times a summer. Now there are places I've been where easily the majority of trucks I've seen are working vehicles... but go near the population centers and trucks become kind of a "blue collar conservative" status symbol for folks who don't really get what rural "blue collar" is actually all about. Europeans like the smaller smart cars and their Fiat 500's because they get good mileage and are easy to park. I live in a city (now) and would really like a Fiat 500 for those same reasons. However, I used to live in a rural township and worked for the county government there. I had a truck (I needed one back then) and I think that's where the disconnect is. I can see both sides of this argument and I'll agree with the OP, I didn't like the scorn that "truck owners" were just indulgent and wasteful for the fact that we are "fat Americans who don't care." But living in a city now... I see lots of people who really do fit that bill, and they annoy me because they really don't need that H3 or long-bed extended cab they ferry around in. Or to put it differently... some of us fat Americans do have some sense AND own a vehicle appropriate to our surroundings and needs. Some thin Americans do as well. And I'll take sensible, hard-working rural folk over snooty euro-jerks looking down his nose at someone who owns an F-150 because hauling hay bales 1 at a time is such a resource saver isn't it. But the trucknuts crew with truckcabs smelling of AXE bodywash, yeah they can go stick it too.

TestECull:

BOOM headshot65:

(IE, older than 1980 and made by GMC or Chevy) then they will get me that and give my bro the Sonoma.

Nothing wrong with a Ford either.

Ha, tell that to my dad. While I, personally, will take any old pickup truck (so long as I can more or less be sure it was made in a factory on US soil), my dad HATES Ford (which makes it ironic that his mandatory work truck is a Ford F-450), or as he refers to it, "Found on Roadside, Dead." or "Fix Or Repair Daily." Same thing with Chrysler. But only slightly less with GM, aka, Government Motors....he still only drives GMs when he can help it.

Kyrian007:

evilneko:
I live in Texas and I'm pretty confident in saying 9 out of 10 trucks I see have never seen so much as a winding rural road.

My car on the other hand...

[quote]I don't know where in the midwest the OP is from, but I'm a Kansan

Same here. Northeastern part, around the Manhattan area. Maybe thats the thing. Most people around here are doing blue collor where you NEED to have a pickup truck, and the ones with the tricked-out, sporty pickups (which, yes, I do HATE those ones) is low, and usually concentrated in the university crowd. The remaining are government workers, soldiers, and blue collar workers, which all of them I can see needing a pickup for one reason or another.

Liquidacid23:
until the day I decide to have them moved to the UK and start running over their tiny golf-cart looking smartcar shitboxes they should mind their own business

Why would you think anyone in the U.K cares what you drive, you got a classic car (it's accepted that they use more fuel, and in the U.K you'll get free road tax for it) and a economical (it is) van/truck type thing that can run on hippy juice.

I've always had a soft spot for American cars, the issue is that it's ridiculously expensive to drive even a moped here anymore (even worse if you're male, but that's another argument...) that and as some commenters have pointed out, the roads are pretty narrow here.

I like trucks, but I really have no use for them. And every American made car I've bought has fallen apart.

Happy with my Honda Accord.

I'm getting a nice American muscle car this year, like a Mustang or Firebird, and part of the reason is because of the misconceptions - IRL on-road trolling eco-mentalists and 'little car' drivers.

I don't want to deliberately start road rage, mind, but the very presence of these cars inspires silent fuming in a great deal of people and I think that's fantastic.

And really it's just a stepping stone until I can find a Viper RT/10.

Everyone I know asks me why I want such a noisy, gas-guzzling monsters - that's part of the joy. Nobody ever feels awesome tearing up the highway in a Prius.

Sansha:
I'm getting a nice American muscle car this year, like a Mustang or Firebird, and part of the reason is because of the misconceptions - IRL on-road trolling eco-mentalists and 'little car' drivers.

I don't want to deliberately start road rage, mind, but the very presence of these cars inspires silent fuming in a great deal of people and I think that's fantastic.

And really it's just a stepping stone until I can find a Viper RT/10.

Everyone I know asks me why I want such a noisy, gas-guzzling monsters - that's part of the joy. Nobody ever feels awesome tearing up the highway in a Prius.

Get a mid 80s pickup truck while you're at it. They're no wider than a Mustang, yet they seem to piss Prius drivers off even more.

BOOM headshot65:

Ha, tell that to my dad. While I, personally, will take any old pickup truck (so long as I can more or less be sure it was made in a factory on US soil), my dad HATES Ford (which makes it ironic that his mandatory work truck is a Ford F-450), or as he refers to it, "Found on Roadside, Dead." or "Fix Or Repair Daily." Same thing with Chrysler. But only slightly less with GM, aka, Government Motors....he still only drives GMs when he can help it.

I'd love to point how he's wrong. Mine had 200K on it when I bought it. I've put another 100K on it since then, and it's still going strong. Doesn't need daily repairs...or even monthly ones. Just maintenance.

Although I suppose if he drove it it would act up. I swear that thing has a mind of it's own or something. If it likes its driver it's the postercard for reliability, but if it doesn't like its driver it suddenly remembers that it looks like a junkyard reject and starts acting like one.

I don't blame him one bit with Chrysler though. Fucking hell I hate those things. BEtween an '88 Dakota, '94 van and '96 van all giving me troubles my F150 never thought of giving me despite having half the mileage on 'em I've sworn Mopar off entirely. Cheap, disposable heaps of shit the lot of 'em.

trollpwner:
I think what pisses people off about this is when wankers in big cities have them when they have no need for them whatsoever. Nobody will begrudge you one if you live in the country and actually need one.

eh i fail to see why anyone would care.. I mean really 90 percent of the possessions most people own they really have no need for whatsoever they just want them...

Mayhaps:

I can think of a few plausible complaints: people might be annoyed when the parking spaces are small and the truck is making it harder or impossible to fit your car in the next spot.

Bad parking etiquette.

It blocks more of your view on the road. Scarier for people in smaller cars?

I find my view blocked as much by sedans as I do by pickups and SUVs. Oh, and Minivans are pretty obstructive too, they're nice and tall.

If you're trying to fix a misconception you should take the time to look up what they think.

Okay, again if you're trying to disprove a misconception, personal experience isn't worth anything, unless that personal experience include studies, surveys and/or other real sources of information. Maybe you're in a special area making your view of the world wrong.
Maybe you're right, but you've not proven anything, and won't convince anyone.

Really this is more a rant than anything else. Calm down and try again.

Captcha: Hug me, maybe you need to?

Hooray for closed mindedness? OP's trying to explain why you would own a pickup truck and demonstrate how they're nowhere near as bad as the haters make them out to be. I think he did a pretty goddamn good job of that.

Besides, if you want a pickup that isn't big, gets good gas mileage, and handles well, you could buy, looking in year ranges 1986-2005:

Chevrolet S10
Ford Ranger
Dodge Dakota
Toyota T-100(2wd Hilux basically, they came with 22REs)
Toyota Tacoma
Nissan Frontier

EVERY Truck I listed comes with a four cylinder available(You can order the Dakota with a 318 V8 if you want to exchange fuel economy for absolute batshit insanity, I don't recommend doing so), is roughly the size and weight of a typical family sedan, will get upwards of 20-25 MPG, and if you get the 2WD version they handle about as well as a sedan too. You still get the utility of the truck without the size and economy constraints. They're all trucks that will work on the farm, then drive down into the heart of London without a second thought or single issue.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked