Misconceptions/Ignorance

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

As a Type 1 Diabetic, I face all sorts of people who seem to think I am 'allergic to sugar' and wonder why I am not as big as a house. People seem to believe Type 1 diabetes is gained from the overindulgence of too much sugar, Where it is actually an auto-immune disease, a fluke basically. I was just curious what kinds of misconceptions the general public have about the escapist community's lives and how you deal with it. I'm also open to answer any questions you have about me and what daily life involves.

captcha: political PARTAYYYY

I guess it'd have to be knowledge of mental illness. Even really clever people (a recent example is a guy who's spends most of his time cloning mice etc) seem to lack a basic understanding of how the diseases work.

Also, computers...I think about maybe 10% of the population understand how a machine works in terms of the actual components, and not just a black box. And the majority of people seem proud of this ignorance, saying they don't have a clue how computers work or how to fix things. To me it's just unacceptable unless you're trying to educate yourself a bit - computers are only going to get more important in the future.

Esotera:
I guess it'd have to be knowledge of mental illness. Even really clever people (a recent example is a guy who's spends most of his time cloning mice etc) seem to lack a basic understanding of how the diseases work.

Also, computers...I think about maybe 10% of the population understand how a machine works in terms of the actual components, and not just a black box. And the majority of people seem proud of this ignorance, saying they don't have a clue how computers work or how to fix things. To me it's just unacceptable unless you're trying to educate yourself a bit - computers are only going to get more important in the future.

I hope they stay ignorant. That means more jobs for the few that can actually open up a PC and recognize different parts! Yay!

I've experienced a few. The first would be about studying psychology. I've studied it for three years, but about two years ago I was talking to this guy on my contiki tour about what I studied and I shit you not his responce was "So... does that mean you can like, read my thoughts?" Some people seem to think because I studied psychology that I can discover their deepest and most personal insecurity like some sort of god damn mind-reader. Some even stopped talking to me because of it!

Another would be my amputation but that one actually makes me laugh (ironic, considering the psychology one gets me angry). I had my left foot amputated and it's pretty amusing seeing how people react. You'd never be able to guess I went through that unless I showed you, it doesn't impede my walking or negatively influence my attitude and I think both are expected from amputees. When you think of one you normally picture a rather sad case that you can spot from a mile away and have to pretend like you don't notice. I've known people who I literally forgot to tell and several months later I take off my shoe and laugh at the looks on their faces because I forgot to warn them.

The fact that im british i immediatley like tea.

The fact that i do and i make a fine brew is neither here nor there :P

Rastien:

It is statistically, a fair enough assumption, although they should maybe ask you to confirm their prejudices first xP.
I know very few people who don't drink tea here, and the look of horror on many peoples faces when they say they don't is pretty hilarious xP

People think that Canadians are all ultra nice, but the reality is we're all dicks who just feel really bad if we're mean or impolite to others, so we act nice, it's all just a lie.

People who think Scottish people are racist, whiskey swigging, ginger haired, skirt (Its actually called a kilt...) wearers who hate the English for killing our god, Mel Gibson.

Some people think they can change someone else's game because they are loyal fans.

Some people think America is 'God's Country'.

Some Facebook users think the Rage Comic Faces are called 'Facebook Faces'.

There is a thread going on at the moment in this forum section where the term 'Atheist' is misused greatly.

"You're depressed? You should learn to face your problems."

"You have ADHD and have a hard time paying attention? A lot of kids have trouble paying attention. You just need to try harder."

"You have Tourette syndrome? I've never heard you say random swear words or anything though..."

The last one is easy to explain. The first two make me want to punch kittens.

I have another one to add to that...

"Your Diabetic...? Why, let me take this delicious cadburys dairy milk off of your hands and save you from spazzing out."

Gordon Freemonty:
People who think Scottish people are racist, whiskey swigging, ginger haired, skirt (Its actually called a kilt...) wearers who hate the English for killing our god, Mel Gibson.

People who think all Ireland is good for is Guinness, mass drunkenness and U2.

(almost tempted to say next annoying are those who seem determined to reinforce said stereotype)

Is your avatar Barry Shitpeas btw?

That all Americans are stupid gun toting rednecks. Just because I live on a farm and have more guns than the marines doesn't mean I'm stupid!

Mine is rather odd I have dyslexia and dysgraphia the former make people think see numbers backwards and that one is entirely understandable but the latter is an inability to write legibly and apparently this means I can not read why this is I have no idea but several times i have stated "Nope I just can not write, I read very quickly in fact. Have to read fast so i can remember what i need without writing it down" and yet still the response of something along the lines of how I am illustrate comes despite my best efforts to state otherwise.

Aerosteam 1908:

Have you seen people call them "troll pictures". I have. And apparently before the troll pictures no one had ever used things like "fu". Stupid enough? Well that came out of an explanation somewhere else about "why was I muted unjustly only for saying 'fu' repeatedly".

To add to Unsilenced: "Schizophrenic? So they talk to themselves?" and the worse one when they assume Schizophrenia means multiple personalities.

"Dementia? So you forget where your car keys are or something?"

That one just makes me want to punch things, not kittens in particular. I've no idea how people can assume that dementia is something like forgetfulness or in any ways amusing to the person who suffers from it. Heck, even Vampire the Masquerade used Dementation for general craziness. But as I said, I don't know why people make that mistake, then again, I lived with my grandfather who had dementia, I have a friend (who's also my neighbour) whose grandmother has dementia and my mother works in a retirement home for people with dementia. I may have somewhat more knowledge than the average person.

Gordon Freemonty:
As a Type 1 Diabetic, I face all sorts of people who seem to think I am 'allergic to sugar' and wonder why I am not as big as a house. People seem to believe Type 1 diabetes is gained from the overindulgence of too much sugar, Where it is actually an auto-immune disease, a fluke basically. I was just curious what kinds of misconceptions the general public have about the escapist community's lives and how you deal with it. I'm also open to answer any questions you have about me and what daily life involves.

Have you looked into Denise Faustman's research? It's pretty frickin' promising. You could be looking at a CURE for Type 1 Diabetes in about 10 years. Not a treatment, a cure.

Fairly amazing stuff. Probably the biggest hope for auto-immune sufferers at the moment, given the diseases are all inter-related.

I tried to explain to a friend that I'm potentially (the doctor's haven't decided for certain) bipolar, which he has confused for multiple personality disorder, and, because he's confused about that one as well, is convinced I'm a serial killer waiting to become. Which is annoying.

That natural selection and evolution are the same thing. Also related the misuse of the concept of "survival of the fittest".

Natural selection is one of several mechanisms that can result in evolution. Survival of the fittest is an outdated term that doesn't accurately describe natural selection (to which it is meant to). Ironically it was originally used to try and prevent another misconception; that natural selection implies something is being explicitly selected.

As a fellow who's damn near perpetually stoned, I'm often branded with the assumption that I must be either be completely braindead, or your typical no motivation, hippy-dippy stoner.

It's rather frustrating trying to justify casual marijuana usage to those who are all too eager to demonize the stuff without experiencing it for themselves.

DoPo:
That one just makes me want to punch things, not kittens in particular. I've no idea how people can assume that dementia is something like forgetfulness or in any ways amusing to the person who suffers from it. Heck, even Vampire the Masquerade used Dementation for general craziness. But as I said, I don't know why people make that mistake, then again, I lived with my grandfather who had dementia, I have a friend (who's also my neighbour) whose grandmother has dementia and my mother works in a retirement home for people with dementia. I may have somewhat more knowledge than the average person.

To a degree, you can blame the word itself. "De-" (removal of) and "mens" (mind). It's literally Latin for "losing your mind." It's use is over 200 years old, and it might be time to create a better term.

BloatedGuppy:

Gordon Freemonty:

Have you looked into Denise Faustman's research? It's pretty frickin' promising. You could be looking at a CURE for Type 1 Diabetes in about 10 years. Not a treatment, a cure.

Fairly amazing stuff. Probably the biggest hope for auto-immune sufferers at the moment, given the diseases are all inter-related.

Hoping it works out, as I've got Crohn's disease myself.

Dastardly:
Hoping it works out, as I've got Crohn's disease myself.

I hear you. I'm suspected to be developing Sjogren's Syndrome, although I'm only one year into the average of 7 required for diagnosis. =\

orangeban:
I tried to explain to a friend that I'm potentially (the doctor's haven't decided for certain) bipolar, which he has confused for multiple personality disorder, and, because he's confused about that one as well, is convinced I'm a serial killer waiting to become. Which is annoying.

Right, bipolar is another "favourite" of mine - people assume that bipolar is about being hyperactive then feeling down. In the span of, say, half an hour. Also mood swings from happy and exalted to miserable, again in a very short time. And people keep switching between the two on a (half-)hourly basis or something.

A lot of people seem to immediately equate one having religious or spiritual beliefs to being an ignorant, hypocritical Christian fundie or a war mongering Muslim.

A lot of people seem to think Atheists are all anti-theists and immoral, nihilistic hedonists. They also incorrectly throw the word "belief" around when referring to atheists.

A lot of people don't understand that agnosticism doesn't necessarily exist independently of other religious (or non-religious) views.

In terms of medical stuff: people seem to think that having quick "mood swings" suddenly qualifies you as bipolar. No.

Also, no one even seems to know what Ehlers-Danlos syndrome is.

They also don't understand the more severe medical effects of joint hyper-mobility. Not just regular laymen, doctors too. ORTHOPEDIC doctors. There's very little more frustrating than going to the doctor and them saying "oh, a bit of extra flexibility is no big deal", despite the god awful pain perpetually ravaging your joints.

I have ASPD... more specifically sociopathy... but whenever I tell people that they seem to automatically assume it means that I am a serial killer... they look at me like I'm Norman Bates or something... lol

DoPo:

orangeban:

Right, bipolar is another "favourite" of mine - people assume that bipolar is about being hyperactive then feeling down. In the span of, say, half an hour. Also mood swings from happy and exalted to miserable, again in a very short time. And people keep switching between the two on a (half-)hourly basis or something.

Recently my friends have started dismissing all my emotions since they suspect I might be bipolar. Let's say one of them is nasty to me and I get upset, they'll refuse to take responsibility for that and just blame it on me for being bipolar. As if my mood swing just happened to coincide with them being an asshole.

orangeban:

DoPo:

orangeban:

Recently my friends have started dismissing all my emotions since they suspect I might be bipolar. Let's say one of them is nasty to me and I get upset, they'll refuse to take responsibility for that and just blame it on me for being bipolar. As if my mood swing just happened to coincide with them being an asshole.

You need better friends. Or at least friends who have a basic understanding of your condition.

axlryder:

orangeban:

DoPo:

You need better friends. Or at least friends who have a basic understanding of your condition.

First I'll try and explain to them that it's not even certain I have the condition, then I'll try and explain how it works. I think the problem is they're all a little sheltered. I mainly wish they'd just stop getting all their information about mental illnesses off of TV and reading serial killers wikipedia pages.

Since I am currently a domestic I've run into the 'facts'. I.E. - That I am lazy because I quite obviously have nothing better to do but sit on my ass all day, and of course watch soap operas while eating chocolate so I'll eventually get really fat. Not only that, but I don't have any dreams or aspirations that I plan to reach at any point in my lifetime. That my main goal in life should be having kids and it's weird that I haven't had any yet, especially since I couldn't find steady employment in my area and have nothing else to do;
BUT I'LL JUST LOVE IT WHEN I DO, IT'S THA BEST THING EVAH! HUUURRR!

It's like they know me better than I know myself. [/sarcasm]

When I tell people I play Street Fighter competitively, they give me funny looks. To them, "it's just mashing buttons". They can't take it seriously.

Case in point: This match between FGC veterans Daigo Umehara and Alex Valle at SoCal Regionals 2010.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone look at this match and dismiss it. "Oh, they're just spamming fireballs. Why don't they do combos? I could beat these guys." Nothing could be further from the truth. I can't even begin to describe the layers of strategy going on here.

Gordon Freemonty:
I have another one to add to that...

"Your Diabetic...? Why, let me take this delicious cadburys dairy milk off of your hands and save you from spazzing out."

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

DoPo:

Aerosteam 1908:

Have you seen people call them "troll pictures". I have. And apparently before the troll pictures no one had ever used things like "fu". Stupid enough? Well that came out of an explanation somewhere else about "why was I muted unjustly only for saying 'fu' repeatedly".

I put up a picture of "Fuck That" guy on my door. My roommate asked if I went on 9gag.

They never found the body.

To add to Unsilenced: "Schizophrenic? So they talk to themselves?" and the worse one when they assume Schizophrenia means multiple personalities.

"Dementia? So you forget where your car keys are or something?"

I can't imagine with schizophrenia. It's kind of a hollywood favorite for "reason guy starts cutting up stangers with a butcher knife."

I have Aspergers syndrome so, yeah. I get all sorts of things asked or said to me. The funniest so far was the person who thought it was an allergy to asparagus. I don't know either.

Rumpsteak:
I have Aspergers syndrome so, yeah. I get all sorts of things asked or said to me. The funniest so far was the person who thought it was an allergy to asparagus. I don't know either.

I have to admit. That's funny and kind of cute. lol

Rastien:

I used to not like tea. Turns out I couldn't fight my birthright however :D

That people on the internet aren't just a bunch of self-diagnosed socially-inept freaks.

Also that modern Greek culture has anything to do with Ancient Greek culture.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked