Misconceptions/Ignorance

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I discovered that when you have a long term mystery illness (it turned out to be an allergy, seriously bad one though), people will line up to tell you how to fix it/how you are making it worse.

Also people assuming if you are female and sick - you must be pregnant.
My mum's terrible for this one. I once accidentally sprayed deodourant in my own face (I was talking to someone and not looking at what I was doing), it got in my mouth and I was sick. My mum literally ran up the stairs to declare me pregnant.

One-on-one conversations with the opposite sex (or really one-on-one anything, like dinner/etc) is automatically "oh, so what's going on between you two?" Because it's absolutely impossible to have dinner with a friend or go for a walk or something with a friend who happens to be your prefered sex and NOT have there be something going on, right?

bisexuals

no they arnt undecided, no they arnt just experimenting, no just because a guy is dating another guy doesnt mean hes no gay, or just because hes dating a girl means hes no straight, he just likes both!

depression isnt limited to stupid sad teenagers or to people who are in the middle of commiting suicide or that its cured just be smiling and thinking happy (well techinically it is but many people with depression actually cant think happy, they are almost physically incapable for the most part), it can present itself in many shapes and forms and can be really devastating (for example i couldnt go to college without wanting to taste a million and one pain killers at once)

That Belgium is a real place. I am from Belgium and I am not here !

1: Everyone who owns a pickup truck is a stereotypical redneck. Incorrect. I own one, I'm no redneck. Rednecks may love them, but there's more reasons to buy one than just because you live in Alabama. These reasons include but are not limited to: Needing to tow things frequently, needing to haul things frequently, visiting places where the roads are unsuitable for low-slung cars and vans, going places where the elements would otherwise drown out a car(literally, in some cases), and as an emergency fallback that you KNOW will start when you need it most. These are the reasons I own one, and they're why I will continue to own one.

2: Everyone who owns a pickup truck is compensating. This is usually used when the above isn't used. Again incorrect, I've got nothing to compensate for. I own it because I could afford it, it's fucking reliable as the stars themselves, and it's the single most practical vehicle I've ever been in. About the only thing it doesn't do well is hauling more than three people.[1]

3: PC gaming is expensive. No it bloody well isn't. I built a gaming rig for the price of an xBox three years ago. I haven't upgraded it. I'm still using it. It runs like a damn top and it can still play every game released today. I also buy steam sales and used games, which cuts a lot of the cost out.

4: Guns are bad/guns kill people/other assorted anti-gun rhetoric. This is just ignorant bullshit spewed forth by people who dislike them and think nobody should be allowed to like something they don't like. I rather like them, I enjoy shooting them at random cola cans and dead VCRs in my back yard, and they come in handy for vermin control.

Wanna take a wild guess as to how many people my .22 rifle has killed?

Go on. I'm waiting.

BZZZT! Wrong. It's killed 0 people. It's 30 years old, and it's killed 0 people. Hasn't even hurt any people. It's killed vermin and plenty of malfunctioning electronics, but it's never wounded or killed a person.

5: Not wanting to go out and hit the bars/clubs/parties/whatever = no-life loser. Not everyone needs to validate their existence by erasing it from their mind with alcohol and drugs in 8-12 hour blocks. Don't be daft.

6: Not wanting a huge circle of friends is just a sign of shyness. Sorry, some people just don't want 9001 friends. Some people just want a few close ones and don't give a shit about the rest of the world. It has fuck all to do with shyness.

7: You NEED GF. Like, right now mister. Not everyone needs a companion every second of every day. I was just fine going through the entirety of high school not having one. I've got one now and I wouldn't give her up for anything, but I don't regret for one second completely bypassing that part of high school. I'm a quality over quantity type, and I'd rather have one relationship that lasts for the rest of our lives than 1894692487u6926850678057 that last a few months each.

[1] It will do it, and it's legal to do, but it's not all that comfortable riding in the bed. Parts of it get quite hot too.

Severe misconceptions:

- Exhibiting slight signs of a handful of the vague symptoms of various psychological/emotional/behavioral disorders means we can just diagnose themselves, without concrete medical tests done by a medical professional to established alleged chemical imbalances.

- Having these disorders (or just claiming to) absolves us of guilt for anything we do wrong, or that it entitles us to win any game of "who has it worst" that comes up.

- People with those disorders who choose not to take their medications can still expect lenience or pity from the rest of the world regarding their behavior while going unmedicated.

- Anyone who mentions that some people are self-diagnosed (and thus lying) must mean that all cases everywhere are that way, and is directly attacking the existence of the disorder itself.

That Libertarians and Objectivists are all just greedy, old, rich dudes who hate poor people and love corporations. I can understand us perhaps being accused of being naive or over-optimistic about human nature, but that stereotype of us being callous and greedy just isn't true. It's not that we don't want poor people to get help, it's that we feel it's immoral for the government to force others to help them be taking their money, and that the majority of people would gladly give to charities on their own without any need for the government to step in. It's not that we want to give more power to corporations, it's actually the opposite; if the government can regulate businesses, those same businesses can rig the system in their favour, which hurts everyone else. And it's not about celebrating greed, it's about celebrating freedom.

So, go ahead, call us naive; I can accept that, and admit that it might even be slightly true. Just don't call us evil or uncaring. Also, I think these videos (featuring Penn Jillette) are somewhat relevant, since he pretty much bring up my points and argues them better than I ever could:

Navvan:
That natural selection and evolution are the same thing. Also related the misuse of the concept of "survival of the fittest".

Natural selection is one of several mechanisms that can result in evolution. Survival of the fittest is an outdated term that doesn't accurately describe natural selection (to which it is meant to). Ironically it was originally used to try and prevent another misconception; that natural selection implies something is being explicitly selected.

On that note it is also directly tied to abiogenesis, Racism, is a religion, has not advanced since Darwin, i related to "Social Darwinism", and is "just a theory" meaning it is false.

My pet peeve is not ignorant people, its people who are ignorant but who *think* they know what they are talking about.

Like management where i work, who are not doctors but who are scared to have reported injuries, so they tell employees who are trying to report an injury that they are 'fine', its just a such and such, just go home and sleep it off, as if they have an M.D. Telling people hit in the head to just go home and sleep it off? Are they crazy? You don't need that insulin you left in your car right now, it can wait till after work, now get back to work!

Or people who claim that the law says this or that, having never read the law in question, nor any understanding of how the law works.

Or, as an atheist, when arguing (in a friendly manner) w/a christian, who brings up the bible to defend their position and they get their facts way wrong (I can't tell you how many christians there are in my neck of the woods who never read the bible. Fine, don't read it, believe completely based on faith, fine, just say so, but don't go pretending to be an expert on something you haven't read.)

I mean when i claim something i am unsure about, i say so. I say something like 'I could be wrong, but its my impression that such and such is the case'. I make it clear up front that this is what I believe and why, but that I'm not entirely certain that my info is right or that I have all the right info, and i accomplish all that w/that one simple addition to my statement. Then i get my info confirmed or i get enlightened as to where i'm wrong and come out knowing more than I came in with.

I think its about ego. People just can't admit, even to themselves, that their knowledge has limits (even though for all of us, our knowledge has limits, none of us are all-knowing). Its the old saying, 'a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing'. The people who know a little, who then go around thinking they are an expert, unintentionally misleading others into following their advice.

Bongrips:
As a fellow who's damn near perpetually stoned, I'm often branded with the assumption that I must be either be completely braindead, or your typical no motivation, hippy-dippy stoner.

It's rather frustrating trying to justify casual marijuana usage to those who are all too eager to demonize the stuff without experiencing it for themselves.

Agreed, I can't let anyone know that I partake in the smoking of illegal cannibus every now and then without being judged or labeled a "stoner" or lazy when I have a very good job that has me working 8 hours a day just like everyone else.

Uh, I guess living in super mega south texas (bottom tip of texas) and people automatically think i'm getting shot by drug cartels on a daily basis and that it's "basically northern mexico" no stfu its not AT ALL.

Oirish_Martin:

Gordon Freemonty:
People who think Scottish people are racist, whiskey swigging, ginger haired, skirt (Its actually called a kilt...) wearers who hate the English for killing our god, Mel Gibson.

People who think all Ireland is good for is Guinness, mass drunkenness and U2.

(almost tempted to say next annoying are those who seem determined to reinforce said stereotype)

Is your avatar Barry Shitpeas btw?

You are correct. That man in my avatar is indeed Barry Shitpeas.

Midgeamoo:

Rastien:
The fact that im british i immediatley like tea.

The fact that i do and i make a fine brew is neither here nor there :P

It is statistically, a fair enough assumption, although they should maybe ask you to confirm their prejudices first xP.
I know very few people who don't drink tea here, and the look of horror on many peoples faces when they say they don't is pretty hilarious xP

I'm British. I'm a gentleman. I'm sarcastic and cynical. BUT I do not like tea, or crumpets.

OT: when I tell people I have sociopathic amorality, they either take that to mean full blown sociopath unable to understand emotion, with no morals, or they think I'm a school shooting waiting to happen. It's quite tiring, really.

The fact is I do adhere to a stringent moral compass, and I feel my emotions very strongly.

Jodah:
That all Americans are stupid gun toting rednecks. Just because I live on a farm and have more guns than the marines doesn't mean I'm stupid!

I hate the misconception that rednecks are bad people. And I am European and spend more time in the city than the country and I think they are generally good people if you exclude the hicks who think gay people are evil.

Shit, now you got me thinking about guns. I'd make a list of a thousand misconceptions I hate, so I'll keep it short.

- only the military and police should own guns
- that gun registration means that a killer with be immediately found with 100% accuracy
- that the term "silencer" is only used by hollywood and videogames
- that certain features on guns make them actually deadlier ("shoulder thing that goes up").

It's like saying a "tuned" Fiat Punto will outrun a Lancer Evo because it has flame decals and neon lights.

SmegInThePants:
My pet peeve is not ignorant people, its people who are ignorant but who *think* they know what they are talking about.

Like management where i work, who are not doctors but who are scared to have reported injuries, so they tell employees who are trying to report an injury that they are 'fine', its just a such and such, just go home and sleep it off, as if they have an M.D. Telling people hit in the head to just go home and sleep it off? Are they crazy? You don't need that insulin you left in your car right now, it can wait till after work, now get back to work!

Jesus Christ, I've had this before. I usually keep my anger to myself until I turn slightly unwell, Then I can (justifiably) be a right fucking cunt.

My fear is that people see how very skinny I am and assume it's because I'm starving or purging to "look pretty". I'm not starving on purpose because I'm afraid of being fat... I'm starving because I have a medical disorder known as Crohn's Colitis. This means that my body simply isn't absorbing nutrients as effectively because some parts of the intestines are damaged. Not only that, but most foods I used to eat any chance I got now cause pain similar to being kicked in the balls every minute or two. Not a pleasant experience to go through, let me tell you.

If someone comes up to me and starts going on about how I should eat a sandwich and not puke like some pussy, they're going to be lucky if I don't go Hannibal Lecter on them.

Sarah Frazier:
I got now cause pain similar to being kicked in the balls every minute or two. Not a pleasant experience to go through, let me tell you

>Sarah
>Feels like getting kicked in the balls

Anything involving black holes. Sci-Fi have made them out as planet munching monsters that go around the universe eating stuff up. Also that they're some sort of rip in space-time.
If our sun was to turn into a black hole (It wouldn't, but follow me on this...) we would orbit in the same way we do now. We'd all die from the cold of space, but we'd still orbit it. It wouldn't suck in the solar system because IT HAS THE SAME MASS AS THE SUN. Gravity is caused by mass, and you can't create mass, so a black hole is only as heavy and powerful in terms of gravity as the star (Or core of the star...) it came from! And they aren't rips in space or whatever badly written TV shows have you believe. The event horizon, the black part you see (Or don't see, whatever way you look at it...) is just the radius at which the gravity is so strong light can't escape. It isn't a surface, but it definitely isn't some sort of inter-dimensional rift.
Also, that they 'eat up' time. No, time (Like energy and matter...) can't be destroyed or cast into some sort of void, it's just that according to the laws of general relativity the singularity at the center of the black hole has a gravity so strong that time essentially stops at that point. If you were somehow magically unaffected by gravity and you were somehow magically inside a singularity, if you somehow magically managed to GET OUT of the singularity, you'd be an infinite number of years into the future. Considering the universe itself is finite, you can understand the impossibility of exiting a singularity or even the radius at which light can't get out of a black hole.

Gordon Freemonty:

Sarah Frazier:
I got now cause pain similar to being kicked in the balls every minute or two. Not a pleasant experience to go through, let me tell you

>Sarah
>Feels like getting kicked in the balls

Hehehe. With all the tabletop gaming I do there have been plenty of chances to ask guys what it feels like, usually by starting a debate about what feels worse: a guy being nutted or a girl on her period? I used to say the latter was worse, but now I've changed my mind.

Regnes:
People think that Canadians are all ultra nice, but the reality is we're all dicks who just feel really bad if we're mean or impolite to others, so we act nice, it's all just a lie.

Wait, people think Canadians are nice? Where I live most people think Canadians are ass holes and if they are being nice its because they want something. I've never believed that they are any worse than Americans but that seems like its backwards from what people think.

TestECull:

4: Guns are bad/guns kill people/other assorted anti-gun rhetoric. This is just ignorant bullshit spewed forth by people who dislike them and think nobody should be allowed to like something they don't like. I rather like them, I enjoy shooting them at random cola cans and dead VCRs in my back yard, and they come in handy for vermin control.

Go on. I'm waiting.

BZZZT! Wrong. It's killed 0 people. It's 30 years old, and it's killed 0 people. Hasn't even hurt any people. It's killed vermin and plenty of malfunctioning electronics, but it's never wounded or killed a person.

Well since there's a prime example right here, how about people who think anecdotal evidence is worth anything.

Always annoying when you're in a debate and someone thinks they can say "Well I did X and Y never happened to me so obviously X will never ever lead to Y."

That Guy Ya Know:

TestECull:

Go on. I'm waiting.

Well since there's a prime example right here, how about people who think anecdotal evidence is worth anything.

Always annoying when you're in a debate and someone thinks they can say "Well I did X and Y never happened to me so obviously X will never ever lead to Y."

I hate this. Anecdotal evidence IS worth saying, and anyone who doesn't take it at least as some evidence towards whatever point it's brought up to support is closed minded. It may not be as concrete evidence as a gallup poll but it's still evidence.

Let's see what is some other stupid stuff i have got from more than one person. Our sun is not a star because a star will kill us
You can not store an acid it will destroy the container
Alcohol is the only thing that ferments
21 is the global drinking age
Turning the heater up to a higher temperature will make it heat up quicker
Everything freezes at the freezing point of water that is why it is called freezing
(Insert element or compound here)can not be a gas/liquid/solid it is gas/liquid/solid at room temperature
Gas is not a form of alcohol! only things like beer are.
Medications (all of them) are not toxic
We can not survive any level of toxin
You can not OD on Advil/Water/Oxygen

"So, you're kind of good with computers, right? ... Does that mean you can hack peoples' Facebook accounts for me?"

You're endangering kittens, people.

I'm just curious to how anyone decided milking a cow was a good idea. I mean i'm glad, but damn. It must have been really disturbing to watch one of your fellow tribesmen do that.

Also, I hate it when people on the forums say "this is being misused" without explaining it. Its' like... well done dickhead, you've contributed nothing at all.

Unsilenced:
"You're depressed? You should learn to face your problems."

"You have ADHD and have a hard time paying attention? A lot of kids have trouble paying attention. You just need to try harder."

"You have Tourette syndrome? I've never heard you say random swear words or anything though..."

The last one is easy to explain. The first two make me want to punch kittens.

Considering the first two are some of the most over diagnosed conditions in the US people have stopped believing the people who actually suffer from these conditions.

*sighs* So many things...
The assumption that I'm a complete loner who hates everyone and everything seems to be the biggest one people have about me.
I say 'Oh, I like X Show' and they're like 'What?! We assumed you hated it because you hate everything!'

I also get sick of people assuming I'm crazy because I'm
clairaudient, or that I've gone insane because of my paraphasia. It's not my fault I sometimes, for example, say 'duck' instead of 'bookshelf', or 'jam' instead of 'house' (I have honestly done both of those at one point).

Oh, those people who assume that all anime/manga is either for children or erotic! They really piss me off...

And any stereotype about me being British. Or Welsh. Especially Welsh.
I do not live on a farm and I do not shag sheep.

EDIT:

DANEgerous:
You can not OD on Advil/Water/Oxygen

God, the amount of people who don't realise drinking overly high amounts of water in a short amount of time can be lethal...

Things people believe that fall under this topic

That life can't exist on any planet not exactly like earth.
That Dinosaurs are a giant hoax created by the government to trick people into believing the world is older than 6000 years
That dinosaur bones were created by the devil to make people doubt the word of god

EDIT:
That the US never landed on the moon
That the world is flat
That an object can have volume but no mass, or vice versa

I quite enjoyed both of these and they seem incredibly relevant to this topic.

That Americans are all fat, stupid, ignorant and violent people when really all they know of the country and its people is the behaviour of its successive governments which is wholly unrepresentative of the majority. Im British but the amount of baseless america hate with such ignorance is insulting.

That console gamers are somehow inferior as people or as gamers and that they do not care or know about the industry.

That being more knowlegable than someone else makes you superior, I know this isnt the case for most but it infuriatingly is for some. Linked to this is that being an Athiest makes you a smarter person, a better person (because you havent done bad things yet have no one to answer to yet christians do, completely ingoring the fact that people tend to go with a faith they agree with and thus would only follow the morals of a religion should they intend to follow it naturally anyway) or gives you the right to think/treat anyone else who isnt an athiest with less respect, patronization, generalization or any other kind of negative treatment.

That having a different view means you are insulting someone and dissecting another's argument is insulting them.

I could go on, so I will.

That anything which could possibly hurt the industry or deny it gain is piracy.

That piracy is in any way, on the large ok (though by piracy I do not mean the absolutely harmless and indisuptable situations when you absolutely cannot obtain the game for whatever reason without an actually good reason preventing you), and that the argument made for it are in anyway remotely sensical and not at all entitled. (please dont respond to me about this no ones' mind is going to change and this inst the thread for it).

That the industry is struggling or that game quality has declined from what it was before and that the industry has become more monopolized, which couldnt be further from the truth. Linked to this is that indie devs are somehow naturally better than large companies, respect and loyalty from fans should be earned and not be seen as a granted nor shoul it simply disapear or have less justification when a company is big. They all operate on the same level until they have proven themselves different. I feel most indie devs are like that because they cant be part of the big dogs/think they can do better for themsleves away from the big guys.

Im about done now. Seriously a pinch of reality wouldnt be unwelcome to some people here and everywhere else.

Oh oh two more. That governemnts are evil, when we elect them and therefore are whatever we want. and that corporations are evil when they are simply a-moral as expected. Not to support many of them simply saying hey do things for a reason not to srew us over. Good thing or not is a different matter (I think bad which is why im into natinalisation but hey). Sorry for spelling im pretty tired.

artanis_neravar:

Unsilenced:

"You have ADHD and have a hard time paying attention? A lot of kids have trouble paying attention. You just need to try harder."

"You have Tourette syndrome? I've never heard you say random swear words or anything though..."

Considering the first two are some of the most over diagnosed conditions in the US people have stopped believing the people who actually suffer from these conditions.

Over self diagnosed maybe but not over diagnosed. Maybe some are misdiagnosed but they are real and are common with the second growing due to higher levels of stimulus in the world.

artanis_neravar:

Unsilenced:

ADHD gets over-diagnosed, or so I hear. It's one of those conditions that's hard to pin down because it can have a number of causes and a wide range of severity. I have it because of a poorly developed prefrontal cortex, a trait which runs in my family.

Depression gets self-diagnosed a lot and is often used as a synonym for "very sad," which is so very wrong.

a few things:
1. earbuds are the small things that came with your iPod, not
2. headphones which are big and go over your ears, and don't block outside sounds like
3. earmuffs which block sound sound compleatly.
4. Christians can drink and smoke
5. the bible is not to all be read the same way
6. Genesis 1 is written like a poem and thus not ment to be read like a hard fact
7. If God can do anything, then why can't evolution be a possibility?
8. not all metal is "screamo"

Sorry for ranting guys. Have a potato

Regnes:
People think that Canadians are all ultra nice, but the reality is we're all dicks who just feel really bad if we're mean or impolite to others, so we act nice, it's all just a lie.

If you feel bad about being mean or impolite, I would call that pretty nice.
I feel bad about being mean or impolite.
Doesn't always stop me though. >:)

Brixton6:

I quite enjoyed both of these and they seem incredibly relevant to this topic.

I like the one about only using ten percent of our brains. I had a friend who believed this and hearing him talk about 100% of the human brain is like hearing some one describe a god.

how some people think because im Australian i am a Farmer with 6 Abs

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked