Misconceptions/Ignorance

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Esotera:
I guess it'd have to be knowledge of mental illness. Even really clever people (a recent example is a guy who's spends most of his time cloning mice etc) seem to lack a basic understanding of how the diseases work.

I dunno, spending all your time cloning mice doesn't sound very clever to me. You'd think someone clever would think something along the lines of "What the fuck am I doing?" and go get an ice cream and enjoy his day instead.

I jest, I jest, 'tis probably important.

OT: British stereotypes, gamer stereotypes, the idea that I'm sarcastic to people I don't like (it's quite the reverse, generally), sharks being incredibly dangerous, evolution is the same as abiogenesis, me being gay, me being asexual (generally after I explain that I'm not gay), that you eat spiders in your sleep, that sort of thing.

Esotera:
I guess it'd have to be knowledge of mental illness. Even really clever people (a recent example is a guy who's spends most of his time cloning mice etc) seem to lack a basic understanding of how the diseases work.

Also, computers...I think about maybe 10% of the population understand how a machine works in terms of the actual components, and not just a black box. And the majority of people seem proud of this ignorance, saying they don't have a clue how computers work or how to fix things. To me it's just unacceptable unless you're trying to educate yourself a bit - computers are only going to get more important in the future.

they dont need too..what with Apple and everything

Daft punk is not Techno

all of electronic music is not Techno

you call Glitch Mob techno and I will stab out your ear drums with an ice pick

Here's 10 misconceptions debunked in one handy video!

DFTBA

edit

hulksmashley:
Some people believe solving a Rubik's cube is something only a genius can do. I judge them.

There are instructions right there in the package people. I'm not brilliant just because I can follow a set of instructions.

...Rubix cubes come in packages?

Esotera:

I hate being told I just have to "get over it," so I'ma agree.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
I hope they stay ignorant. That means more jobs for the few that can actually open up a PC and recognize different parts! Yay!

Yeah, this constitutes about half of my business.

Space Spoons:

I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone look at this match and dismiss it. "Oh, they're just spamming fireballs. Why don't they do combos? I could beat these guys." Nothing could be further from the truth. I can't even begin to describe the layers of strategy going on here.

Hell, I enjoyed watching that and I'm not really a diehard.

That having Multiple Personality Disorder automatically means that one of the other personalities is a serial killer, or that you become completely non-functional in society due to the thousands (ha!) of personalities all vying for control.

That people with Schizophrenia are also completely non-functional in society, and (as someone has already said in this thread) have Multiple Personality Disorder, despite the fact that they are two different illnesses caused by two separate things.

That Amnesia is this magical thing that makes you forget everything up to a certain point. This is a personal favorite of Hollywood, so it's very common in movies (which gets on my nerves way more then it should).

Biggest misconception I've ever encountered though:

When dealing with Psychological or Medical problems, Textbook examples aren't always the case - They're good for a common identifier of the problem, but there are these amazing things known as 'Outliers', or cases that exhibit uncommon traits of a particular illness. The number of people I've met who honestly believe the Textbook example is the only example of a problem... yeah.

Gordon Freemonty:
As a Type 1 Diabetic, I face all sorts of people who seem to think I am 'allergic to sugar' and wonder why I am not as big as a house. People seem to believe Type 1 diabetes is gained from the overindulgence of too much sugar, Where it is actually an auto-immune disease, a fluke basically. I was just curious what kinds of misconceptions the general public have about the escapist community's lives and how you deal with it. I'm also open to answer any questions you have about me and what daily life involves.

captcha: political PARTAYYYY

I think this one annoys me the most

"The belief that planes couldn't bring down the twin towers because jet feul doesn't burn hot enough to melt steel"

ThePS1Fan:
Here's 10 misconceptions debunked in one handy video!

DFTBA

being very good at something does not mean that you will pass it in school

One more from me, the idea that you can draw a sword from a sheath strapped to your back, ala Link, Ocarina of Time

artanis_neravar:
One more from me, the idea that you can draw a sword from a sheath strapped to your back, ala Link, Ocarina of Time

I would have thourght it was possible

now putting it back in would be the hard part

OOHH! This pic right here.

As a disclaimer, I'm not trying to make fun of anyone's beliefs. I just got all giddy when someone posted this on Facebook and I got to tear them apart for not knowing the difference between Atheism, Big Bang Theory, and Biogenics. I seriously live to make fun of stupid people on my Facebook.

Vault101:

artanis_neravar:

He's got a point. Depending on how long you arms are and how tall the sword is, at some point there's not enough arm to keep pulling.

JoesshittyOs:

He's got a point. Depending on how long you arms are and how tall the sword is, at some point there's not enough arm to keep pulling.

unless you could tilt the whole thing forward (the shearth/whatever straped to your back) so your not continuasly/awkwardly jerking your arm straight up while trying to pull thing thing out

as for that imagine...oh god I hate it so much, somone thinking they are clever just because things sound silly if you use hyperbole...except there it doesnt even work and just makes them look like idiots

Vault101:

artanis_neravar:

try it, your arm and wrist can not bend that way, unless you are using a sword smaller that your arm length

artanis_neravar:
[try it, your arm and wrist can not bend that way, unless you are using a sword smaller that your arm length

when I get home from work I will ...my curiosity has been aroused

Vault101:

artanis_neravar:
[try it, your arm and wrist can not bend that way, unless you are using a sword smaller that your arm length

when I get home from work I will ...my curiosity has been aroused

Yeah trying to draw an imaginary sword at work might seem odd to the people around you, and trying to draw a real sword at work will probably seem odd to the police as they taser you

Space Spoons:

I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone look at this match and dismiss it. "Oh, they're just spamming fireballs. Why don't they do combos? I could beat these guys." Nothing could be further from the truth. I can't even begin to describe the layers of strategy going on here.

Actually there isn't a whole lot you can describe from that video. Both Daigo and Valle are high level players with a bunch of tournaments under their belts and possibly thousands if not tens of thousands into Street Fighter and other fighting games. There aren't layers of strategy when you get into high level play. It comes down to skill of timing and knowing the range for moves. At the end Valle misjudged the distance/timing of one of his moves. Which cost him the match. Which also happened to Daigo early on.
The strategy that comes into play in a match like that especially a person like Ryu is keep your distance and don't get caught.
The fact that they both picked Ryu who has one of the easier move sets just proves that they can't have much of a strategy going into the game because they know that if the mess up terribly on a combo it will mean the end of it for them.

Regnes:
People think that Canadians are all ultra nice, but the reality is we're all dicks who just feel really bad if we're mean or impolite to others, so we act nice, it's all just a lie.

So you guys are passive-aggresive? Sounds quite a bit like us Minnesotans (Minnesota is the American state directly borders Ontario and Manitoba and is where the Game Overthinker was supposedly trapped).

That I, as a religious and gay person, cannot exist. I'm not sure if it's the same everywhere, but it seems that around here, being one automatically excludes you from being the other.

Me being gay does not mean I want to shag you. I'm sorry, but you're really not that special.

Being surprised when a video game/film/whatever is unsuitable for you child when the box clearly says that the video game/film/whatever is unsuitable for you child.

When people say that fantasy and science fiction are "stupid". Makes me want to gouge their eyes out and point out that some of the greatest pieces of literature of the 20th century has been science fiction or fantasy.

And this is kinda a fun misconception. That a video game on the PS1 can be scary. I mean, the graphics are really crappy and the voice acting is probably awful. Well here's a copy of Silent Hill. (I actually had this conversation with a friend of mine and she got so scared that she threw my controller and the wall and there is now a dent in the wall).

Rumpsteak:
I have Aspergers syndrome so, yeah. I get all sorts of things asked or said to me. The funniest so far was the person who thought it was an allergy to asparagus. I don't know either.

Yeah i have Aspergers too (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome for those of you that dont know). But i see it as an improvement.

My ex-girlfriend/friend has staight up told me that she thinks I'm either asexual or gay because I don't show any outward emotions or actions proving that I like women (well excuse me for not being as vocal or crass as other teenagers are about it.) I have Asperger's Syndrome, and I don't communicate well with others or emote very well no thanks to it; I told her this and she says, "it's more of a learning disability." What? I don't even...

I'm Irish, therefore I drink and fight a lot. - I'm actually usually a pacifist but don't push me. Also I've only had 2 alcoholic beverages in my life, champagne at my aunt's wedding and a mike's hard raspberry lemonade. Didn't care for 'em.

I'm a furry, therefore I think Bugs Bunny is hawt. - Not in the slightest. I don't find any animals, anthropomorphic or not, attractive.

I have asperger's, therefore I self-diagnosed myself like all the other socially awkward people looking for an excuse. - professionally diagnosed, it's mild but noticeable.

I study Karate, therefore I'm looking for a fight (the Irish part tends to reinforce that). - Again, pacifist. I just like the art and it's fun.

Because I'm a girl on Xbox Live, I must be fat and ugly. Give me a break...

Also, because I smoke cigarettes, I'm a horrible person that deserves lung disease and I want the environment to collapse.

Princess_Dee:

Also, because I smoke cigarettes, I'm a horrible person that deserves lung disease and I want the environment to collapse.

Thats not a misconception though.

Strazdas:

Princess_Dee:

Beautiful example of ignorance!! Self righteousness as well!
You might want to use a different font though...you might confuse people into thinking you're serious.

When I say I'm lactose intolerant, people often follow up with the question of "Oh, you can't have milk huh?" assuming that it's because I'm allergic to dairy.

There are two fallacies in this assumption.
1. I can have dairy (though I often don't want to), but only with lactase pills that supplement what my body stupidly refuses to produce on its own. It stinks because I love cheese.

2. A dairy allergy is not the same thing as lactose intolerance. I don't honestly know exactly what an allergy entails, but I'm sure it is a lot worse and could lead to death (potentially, in extreme cases). Intolerance just leads to a lot of unpleasantness for everyone.

I have a very muted accent, therefore I'm English.
I AM AUSTRALIAN. I have never even left the country!

3quency:

Rastien:
The fact that im british i immediatley like tea.

The fact that i do and i make a fine brew is neither here nor there :P

I used to not like tea. Turns out I couldn't fight my birthright however :D

It normally hits most brits once you start working of some sort :P a welcomed tea break becomes an oasis in the desert

>>Be asexual
>>Clearly just too shy, need to drink more.

Strazdas:

Princess_Dee:

We all have vices dude, im sure you have some of your own. So why feel the need to preach to others about theres?

I enjoy smoking just one of my vices, but i also help my old man sort out his garden once a month and help my sister with her english as shes severley dyslexic? if your opinion would this balance it out?

Aerosteam 1908:
Some people think they can change someone else's game because they are loyal fans.

Some people think America is 'God's Country'.

Some Facebook users think the Rage Comic Faces are called 'Facebook Faces'.

There is a thread going on at the moment in this forum section where the term 'Atheist' is misused greatly.

facebook faces...IMA GET MA NAPALM

people who make "hit like/share if you would help this child" bullshit on facebook... i know it has nothing to do with the thread but fuck those guys

Rastien:

Strazdas:

Princess_Dee:

We all have vices dude, im sure you have some of your own. So why feel the need to preach to others about theres?

I enjoy smoking just one of my vices, but i also help my old man sort out his garden once a month and help my sister with her english as shes severley dyslexic? if your opinion would this balance it out?

is that guy serious? or what?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked