"no-one in the world is more reviled than a pretty woman" samantha brick

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

This woman wrote an article in an English newspaper (linked below) discussing how being "beautiful" is an incredible irritating aspect to her life.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2124246/Samantha-Brick-downsides-looking-pretty-Why-women-hate-beautiful.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

she is now under heavy attack, both from people saying she's arrogant, as well as people pointing out that she, at least in their opinion (and also in mine), isn't actually that pretty at all, if anything, she's fairly average looking. now defending herself, she claims that this attack "proves her point", "and that noone in the world is more reviled than a pretty woman" (her responce piece http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2124782/Samantha-Brick-says-backlash-bile-yesterdays-Daily-Mail-proves-shes-right.html )

I'd like to hear what you think; is the anger justified, can you defend her, do you think she's wrong and arrogant, or even a simple rating of her looks (she started it after all)

EDIT: my second link should now work

DOUBLE EDIT MARK TWO: I love all the people saying that they don't know what the brits are like, but in 'merica, she wouldn't be considered beautiful. Because, ya know, England and the UK are vastly different places from the US, what with us having different languages, and never ever stealing each others culture periodicly. Ahem. (yes I'm aware it's a joke, and one that I found funny as well, but people have now done it, there are plenty of other things you can take the piss out of us for ;))

my GOD this woman is so full of herself it's ridiculous

Is she trolling? Seriously, she's like a 6 tops. Also, her smile is scary... Like she's only learning how to replicate human emotion. Holy shit, she smiles like the female t1001 in Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Being a very attractive person, especially a very attractive woman, can come with certain issues. I've no doubt about it. Jealousy is a real thing, and people will form many preconceptions about you based on how you look, and not all of them will be flattering or positive.

However, being attractive generally comes with significantly more social advantages than disadvantages.

No comment on the hubris involved in writing an article like this and then using yourself as an example.

I find it laughable that she claims the women who she claims reject her are being paranoid, when she's the one who's saying that the fact she hasn't been promoted means all women hate her. She's being arrogant in claiming that all her problems are down to other women being jealous of her imaginary good looks. And she writes for the Mail.

Being a devilishly attractive man myself, I totally agree with her and I think she has been victimised by all the jealous have-nots. Poor woman.

What the hell? Shes ugly as sin.

Pretty by British standards maybe... Hehe.

EDIT: Just to clear this up, that last bit was a joke. Almost everyone got it until now, but I just want to be on the safe side before this turns ugly. Pun unintended.

People don't hate her because of her looks, it's because shes an arrogant attention seeker whos making herself seem like a victim when nothing bad has really happened except she hasn't been anyones bridesmaid before. Boo fucking hoo.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

That's a bit cruel. "Moderately pretty" describes her better for me.

That article is just arrogant. First of all assuming she's supermodel-level pretty, then having the gall to claim that this is a bad state of affairs...

I didn't realise that Karisma from Something Positive was a real person.

OhJohnNo:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Sorry, I dont think shes pretty at all. She looks artificial. Tear away all that make up and all she has is a weird, derpy looking face. Her smile is fake. Her eyes look dead. To me, shes ugly.

Article is stupid.

Backlash is even stupider.

Yes, the woman is deluded. Let her be.
Everyone screaming that she is ugly just makes us look as dumb as her.

If she wants to think she's pretty, I honestly don't care.
Though, I do disagree with women hating other women who are pretty, I know some really pretty women and I would never hate them, they are all lovely people.
Then again I'm not your typical woman, I guess.

EDIT: Also, stop giving the Daily Mail attention, I am trying to ignore them in the hopes that they will go away. They are just doing this for the controversy.

iBagel:
Being a devilishly attractive man myself, I totally agree with her and I think she has been victimised by all the jealous have-nots. Poor woman.

Is it weird I imagined your avatar twirling his moustache when I read that?

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

OhJohnNo:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Sorry, I dont think shes pretty at all. She looks artificial. Tear away all that make up and all she has is a weird, derpy looking face. Her smile is fake. Her eyes look dead. To me, shes ugly.

Well, I dunno... Take away the make up and a lot of women look derpy.

When she's not smiling (because yes, that smile IS creepy, I agree) her face looks just fine to me. Now that you point it out, though, I see what you mean about the eyes... cold, dead, soulless things. Still, I've seen worse.

Of course, I think we can both agree she is being really arrogant and overestimating herself greatly.

*glances at the link* shes better looking than average but not beautiful. that said females no matter their profession are judged on their looks

Phasmal:
EDIT: Also, stop giving the Daily Mail attention, I am trying to ignore them in the hopes that they will go away. They are just doing this for the controversy.

I'm usually very averse to the Dail fail, but this blew up in such a massive way that I thought it was worth a nod.

OhJohnNo:

Meh. I prefer most women without makeup. If that makes them look more "derpy" so be it.

Phasmal:
Everyone screaming that she is ugly just makes us look as dumb as her.

It's a predictable and somewhat embarrassing response, yes.

doggy go 7:

Phasmal:

I'm usually very averse to the Dail fail, but this blew up in such a massive way that I thought it was worth a nod.

Perhaps. But I fear posting it here will just cause the usual `Fucking Women, How Do They Work?` misogyny that we apparently dont have enough of ;)

(Once on the train I overheard a someone loudly declare that the Daily Mail was the only newspaper not afraid to tell the truth. I nearly pee'd myself laughing).

Oh no! I'm attractive! SOMEONE FEEL BAD FOR ME.
She isn't even that attractive. She just seems to be such a self-absorbed b*tch she decided to let everyone know about how sexy she thinks she is. This is disgraceful.
Yep, the fat kid in high school who was constantly bullied, he has it easy.
That girl with the deformity? So lucky...

HA, I saw the "But your ugly as shit, what would you know?!" responses coming a mile away. I love the pictures though especially:

The look on his face is hilarious. "Do I....do I HAVE to touch her? Really? REALLY?!"

As for her assumption, eh. I'm not a Pretty Woman so I wouldn't know first hand, but sure, I'd say being a high class hooker has it's ups and downs (ba dum cha, movie reference followed by corny ass joke ftw!)

Holy crap, that womans full of herself. Her points not really valid due to the fact beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Now, if she had said women who think they are beautiful, then she might have a point. Not because they're attractive, but because those people tend to be so freaking shallow and arrogant. See, where I'm going with this?

I don't know about her being unattractive, for her age she certainly takes care of herself. I don't think calling her ugly does anything but vindicate her opinions.

I don't think anyone should be attacking her for thinking she's attractive, if anything, more women should think like that.

My problem with her is that she seems to use free things men have given her as a way of validating her self-worth and refuses to believe that any of the negative things that happen to her with her friends and at work is due to anything other than jealously. Don't get me wrong, some people are resentful of others with the type of self-confidence she has but I doubt that all the things she thinks she has been denied don't rest, at least partly, on her actions rather than her looks.

She needs to snap out of that victim mentality and stop believing 'it's not my fault I'm pretty and you're not'. She complains that all women are jealous and hate her but, to be honest, if you approach a group of people with the attitude that they're not going to like you because you're so beautiful and they'll be afraid that their husbands will want to fuck you then, chances are, you're not going to make the best impression.

First of all, attractiveness is entirely subjective.

Second of all, even if what she's saying is true in her mind...what, we're supposed to feel sorry for you. "Oh, boo-hoo, you've been cursed with beauty and have more social advantages than disadvantages compared to the rest of us average or ugly-looking jealous bastards!"

Pfft. Nothing more than a publicity stunt from a bitch (whose article is prejudiced in itself) eager to feed her ego, which many people fell for. Also, it's the fucking Daily Mail, what more do you expect?

Colour-Scientist:
I don't think anyone should be attacking her for thinking she's attractive, if anything, more women should think like that.

You mean more women who are actually attractive should think like that.

OhJohnNo:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

OhJohnNo:

When she's not smiling (because yes, that smile IS creepy, I agree) her face looks just fine to me. Now that you point it out, though, I see what you mean about the eyes... cold, dead, soulless things. Still, I've seen worse.

Of course, I think we can both agree she is being really arrogant and overestimating herself greatly.

Eh, I guess eye of the beholder etc etc etc.

I don't think the point she's trying to make is absolutely infeasible in theory anyway, there surely is a downside to being constantly handed lots of things unearned by any actual work of your own. Privileges have their downside. They don't merit as much sympathy as the issues of those who fall foul of privileges, sure, but they do exist nonetheless.

The problem with the article to me is that it's trying to reduce all of her problems to this one issue. Perhaps she's not been bridesmaids to any of her friends because of her "sparkling" personality. Or maybe her friends are all as vacuous as she is.

Phasmal:

You had me until that sentence.

Distancing yourself like that is similar to what the Brick lady is doing. It's as if every other woman is so insecure she can't cope with the idea that someone might be prettier than her, in saying that you're not 'a typical woman' it seems as though you're just kind of agreeing with that idea.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

What would the downside be of women who weren't attractive thinking they were? Are you worried the streets will be full of uppity ugly people feeling good about themselves?

I don't agree with her, but I am not your typical woman.

Phasmal:

What would be a typical woman? Mmmm hmmm, generalisations ho!

OT Read this and the response and gotta say she is just deluded. It isn't her looks holding her back, it's her horrid personality.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

You just pretty much answered for me.

I'd prefer it if more women (and people in general) thought 'You know, I'm pretty awesome'. For every person, there's normally going to be someone who finds them attractive and confidence can do wonders for the way people see you.

Important distinction though, confidence, not arrogance.

Colour-Scientist:

Phasmal:

You had me until that sentence.

Distancing yourself like that is similar to what the Brick lady is doing. It's as if every other woman is so insecure she can't cope with the idea that someone might be prettier than her, in saying that you're not 'a typical woman' it seems as though you're just kind of agreeing with that idea.

Ah, I see what you mean. That wasn't my intention though.
It was more, I tend to not be anything like what women are percieved to be like and I dont know tons of women so it just confuses me. That probably sounds weird, its hard to explain.

Now that I think about it, none of the women I do know act like that either.

Matthew94:

Phasmal:

What would be a typical woman? Mmmm hmmm, generalisations ho!

OT Read this and the response and gotta say she is just deluded. It isn't her looks holding her back, it's her horrid personality.

There probably isn't a typical woman, but whenever I hear anything about women it seems to be the opposite of what I am actually like. So yeah, I guess internalising generalisations is messed up. Shan't do it again.

doggy go 7:
This woman wrote an article in an English newspaper (linked below) discussing how being "beautiful" is an incredible irritating aspect to her life.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2124246/Samantha-Brick-downsides-looking-pretty-Why-women-hate-beautiful.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

she is now under heavy attack, both from people saying she's arrogant, as well as people pointing out that she, at least in their opinion (and also in mine), isn't actually that pretty at all, if anything, she's fairly average looking. now defending herself, she claims that this attack "proves her point", "and that noone in the world is more reviled than a pretty woman" (her responce piece http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2124782/Samantha-Brick-says-backlash-bile-yesterdays-Daily-Mail-proves-shes-right.html)

I'd like to hear what you think; is the anger justified, can you defend her, do you think she's wrong and arrogant, or even a simple rating of her looks (she started it after all)

The second link is dead, looks like the Mail changed the address. Here's the new one:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2124782/Samantha-Brick-says-backlash-bile-yesterdays-Daily-Mail-proves-shes-right.html (It seems the same as the one you posted, but it's working on preview whereas your doesn't so iunno what the Mail are playing at)

OT: She's all right looking, not great, not terrible. I can't honestly see people seeing her as as much of a threat as she makes out though. Either her social circle is really backstabby and paranoid, or she's backstabby and paranoid (or both). If some people are that bad she should just stop associating with them.

And if she's eliciting that response from everyone, it seems likely that it's something to do with her personality.

Seems a bit dramatic and self-obsessed, given all of the bigotry on the world, to say "that noone in the world is more reviled than a pretty woman" as well. Try telling that to an Egyptian Copt or an Iranian Jew or a transsexual or [insert persecuted group].

EDIT: Just to be clear, we aren't all like this in the UK! I think she's as weird as everyone else does!

Also, here's the rest of her articles. Fucking EUCH!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?s=&authornamef=Samantha+Brick

Colour-Scientist:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

You just pretty much answered for me.

I'd prefer it if more women (and people in general) thought 'You know, I'm pretty awesome'. For every person, there's normally going to be someone who finds them attractive and confidence can do wonders for the way people see you.

Important distinction though, confidence, not arrogance.

To me, that seems more like "Who cares if im attractive? Someone out there will like me", not "I am attractive".

Just another skinny blonde. You can't swing a dead rat without hitting one of them. I find them dull and boring myself. As for being good looking closing doors, yeah it probably does. That kind of averages out with all the ones it opens though. For good or ill, good looking people are generally treated better than ugly ones in our society. You don't hear me complaining about it. :P

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

To me, that seems more like "Who cares if im attractive? Someone out there will like me", not "I am attractive".

Not necessarily, if you perceive yourself to be ugly then more people are going to see you that way. I'm not the most attractive person in the world but when I put on a nice dress, a pair of heels and hit the town do I feel attractive? Fuck yeah, I do.

Stop reading the daily mail and they will stop trolling you. Every pageview is an endorsement.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked