"no-one in the world is more reviled than a pretty woman" samantha brick

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Matthew94:

Melanie McGreevey:
She's a satirist, she's trying to be funny.

Haha, nope.

Look at the other shit she has written.

sounds like a satirist in the same vein as christwire, they never let up, regardless if they are called on it.

Jealousy is a real thing. When there is something to be jealous of. As is intimidation. But only when something is intimidating.
Her arrogance almost seems unreal. Being proud of what you have, "flaunting it" and having self-confidence is one thing, but this is just... irritating. I suspect she herself might have her own insecurities to have the need to write this article in the first place.
The fact that she can actually write "MAN, BEING JUST SO HOT IS SO HARD, BOO HOO" is rather sickening, when there are people out there dealing with problems that are worthy of complaining about.

Plus, I think a good percentage of this article is fabricated. At least a little.
It's Daily Mail, but come on.

On a recent flight to New York, I was delighted when a stewardess came over and gave me a bottle of champagne.
'This is from the captain - he wants to welcome you on board and hopes you have a great flight today,' she explained.
You're probably thinking 'what a lovely surprise'. But while it was lovely, it wasn't a surprise. At least, not for me.

...Yeah okay, that really happened.

In my article, I recalled how men I'd never met before had sent bottles of bubbly to my restaurant table, presented me with impromptu bouquets and even bought train tickets for me - all on account of my pretty face.
And yet women had reacted to my good looks in a very different way. Their hostility had stood in my way at work and even friends had dropped me, fearing their husbands fancied me.

...Again, I'm going to be skeptical.
And those women probably "dropped her" because of her attitude, not because they were worried about their men wandering off with this God's gift to gentlemen everywhere.

I won't throw stones as all beauty is subjective, everyone is beautiful in their own way, hold your head up high, yadda yadda. But let's just say, there are very few people (if any) entitled to discussing the "horrors" of being so beautiful. ...And I sincerely doubt that she's one of them.

The women that catch my eye are the ones who don't.

Also, I'd say slavers, tyrants and rapists are pretty badly reviled, but true, pretty women ARE a scourge.

Melanie McGreevey:

Matthew94:

Melanie McGreevey:
She's a satirist, she's trying to be funny.

Haha, nope.

sounds like a satirist in the same vein as christwire, they never let up, regardless if they are called on it.

If she is she is a damn good one, I'll give her that.

Matthew94:

Melanie McGreevey:

Matthew94:

Haha, nope.

that's what i am saying, those asshats on christwire are the same... they never stop.

Yes, because ugly people are universally beloved and worshipped and have all the advantages.

She's not that attractive. I don't know what it's like in the UK, but where I live (Montreal), she's a mid to low 6, even among women of her age bracket. It could be that women hate her for thinking she is considerably hotter than she actually is, especially if they're more attractive than she is. Or that women who are less attractive than she is don't like being being talked down to by a just average woman. Or maybe it's a personality thing, I certainly can see that being the case. Also, if "women" as a group hate her, maybe she's the problem, not their jealousies.

I remember when I was an attractive woman. It didn't end well.

Strangely appropriate captcha of the day: fool's paradise

Well she's not ugly or anything but she does seem rather conceited. Which is more likely the reason she's had so much trouble with people. Though what she's talking about does happen I've seen it with both of my sisters who are quite pretty without being like crazy moviestar beautiful. So you don't have to look like a goddess for this to happen, the difference though is both my sisters were genuinely surprised and hurt and don't go around think they're the hottest lady in the room all the time.

And really I think it tends to have more to do with how people see you rather than what you look like.

It's okay to think of yourself as an attractive person, but there is a difference between having confidence in yourself - along with a healthy dose of self-esteem and being an arrogant 'unt' with a capital C who believes her very looks cause people to shudder in the street and then tells everyone about it as if we should be thoroughly impressed and in awe. No wonder she can't make any female friends. Can you imagine sitting with her and listening to her talk about herself?

meh what would she know about being a "pretty woman"... this is like me writing an article about being a peace loving vegetarian

Matthew94:

Melanie McGreevey:

Matthew94:

Haha, nope.

I don't know, good satire always has a point:
Borat exposed hidden predjudice and extremist views by pretending to support them and going so over the top with it that no sane person would agree with him, but many who secretly supported those racial view didn't realise and agreed with his points, making them look like absolute fools.
Jonathan Swift wrote A Modest Proposal highlighting the issue of poverty by offering a completely insane solution to it, and using that as a challenge to people who rejected his solution to actually do something.

I suppose the point of this could be to show how beauty orientated our culture is through everyones response to such an inflammatory article, (since we don't argue with the issues raised, but instead say "she's not that pretty")
Proving our blatant bias with beauty: Would we have reacted differently if we did find her stunningly attractive? - Probably yes.

But that's pretty weak, and it means all her other crazy articles have to have satirical points as well. I don't know. I'm too tired to interpret satire at the moment. She's either a phenomenally crazy, narcissistic feminist or a satirist who occasionally forgets that her works have to have some objective satirical point to actually be meaningful.

A-D.:
Is she catholic..well or christian at all?

Why would you assume she's Christian? I'm curious...

But yeah, OT: I'm not going to go into her looks, but she's delusional if she thinks that's how the world works.

VaudevillianVeteran:

Plus, I think a good percentage of this article is fabricated. At least a little.
It's Daily Mail, but come on.

On a recent flight to New York, I was delighted when a stewardess came over and gave me a bottle of champagne.
'This is from the captain - he wants to welcome you on board and hopes you have a great flight today,' she explained.
You're probably thinking 'what a lovely surprise'. But while it was lovely, it wasn't a surprise. At least, not for me.

...Yeah okay, that really happened.

In my article, I recalled how men I'd never met before had sent bottles of bubbly to my restaurant table, presented me with impromptu bouquets and even bought train tickets for me - all on account of my pretty face.
And yet women had reacted to my good looks in a very different way. Their hostility had stood in my way at work and even friends had dropped me, fearing their husbands fancied me.

...Again, I'm going to be skeptical.

Also this. So much. I really feel sorry for the woman, she's clearly living in her own fantasy world.

However, at least no-one (here or elsewhere) seems to be taking her seriously, so no harm done. Though I can't help but feel a little put out that people like her honestly believe us women are that obsessed with our looks... *sigh*

I saw the photo on the first article and the first thought in my mind was "OMG what the fuck is wrong with her face"...

Shes a troll, she doesn't just look like a troll; she is actively trolling everyone.

She made the mistake of doing the ultimate un-British thing. She wasn't modest, withdrawn, or humble about how "beautiful" she is. We can't stand that shit. We prefer subtlety, decorum, etiquette. Or if you're in the lower classes, a slag will do.

But never do this in Britain... Never.... Everyone will hate you, including your own mother.

It's like the major offence of our country. Like with France, you don't go over there and say that they're cheese eating surrender monkeys. You don't say Germans are sausage eating Nazi's. You don't say Nagasaki was hilarious to the Japanese. You don't say the Irish are bankrupt potato heads. And you don't fucking do this in Britain.

She's pretty and all, but it seems to me she has an ugly personality. That levels her to a meh.

It's amazing how much an ugly personality will subtract from your beauty.

To be honest though, I think she's trolling!

Robert Ewing:

It's like the major offence of our country. Like with France, you don't go over there and say that they're cheese eating surrender monkeys. You don't say Germans are sausage eating Nazi's. You don't say Nagasaki was hilarious to the Japanese. You don't say the Irish are bankrupt potato heads. And you don't fucking do this in Britain.

you don't?... well, no wonder I keep getting such weird looks from people :D

For someone who works on her appearance compulsively she's quite ugly if you ask me.

Anyone who decides to blame other people for their issues, especially by saying that they're all jealous of your looks, isn't a beautiful person.
For a woman to be truly beautiful, she must have a good personality too. If she is beautiful, even if she acknowledges it, then she shouldn't openly refer to herself as such. Vanity does not make for a truly attractive (or likeable) person.
In no way am I saying that confidence in your looks is a bad thing, but saying "Hey everyone, I'm so pretty! Look at me!" definitely is.
Besides, this Brick lady isn't that great looking.

>.>

the British sure have a funny view on 'very pretty', she looks pretty 'meh' to me, apart from 'arrogant bitch' thing

to me this is just a dumb bitch whose had everything in her life handed to her on a silver platter being her normal arrogant piece of shit self

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
What the hell? Shes ugly as sin.

Pretty by British standards maybe... Hehe.

As a British woman, I'm gonna just go ahead and point out that's a pretty callous statement, that's all.

Yeah she's...Ordinary I guess. I can't help but think 'bizarre' troll... no one could possibly have let this woman grow up and not tell her 'dear, you're okay looking, but your forehead is pretty large, and your smile is crooked and scary'.

...I mean even I know my chin looks terrible at some angles and my arms are utterly the worst feature of my body (genetics, they suck). You don't let it get you down but you have some freakin humility fgs.

Yeah, she's pretty, I'll admit. Not, you know, gorgeous, and certainly not attractive enough to be inundated with free champagne as she touts, but still sorta pretty. Still, skinny blondes are a dime a dozen, and psychology studies have consistently shown that people react better to attractive people, even when they're not consciously aware of it.

In fact, I heard of one instance in which a blind man was told that one of his co-workers was extremely attractive after several months of knowing her, and he started treating her even more kindly. Even he was able to realize it on looking back, when confronted with his actions.

Attractive people are consistently treated better, but are also fairly consistently upset by this fact, and them's the breaks.

iBagel:
Being a devilishly attractive man myself, I totally agree with her and I think she has been victimised by all the jealous have-nots. Poor woman.

Oh you're that guy...shit I collapsed into jealousy-fuelled rage when I saw you. I just couldn't contain myself. I hope all goes well with you, and that your life goes on and people can get past their jealousy.

Liquidacid23:

Robert Ewing:

you don't?... well, no wonder I keep getting such weird looks from people :D

Haha :D Why did I imagine a tanned hairy chested disco Stu type character?

doggy go 7:
This woman wrote an article in an English newspaper (linked below) discussing how being "beautiful" is an incredible irritating aspect to her life.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2124246/Samantha-Brick-downsides-looking-pretty-Why-women-hate-beautiful.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

she is now under heavy attack, both from people saying she's arrogant, as well as people pointing out that she, at least in their opinion (and also in mine), isn't actually that pretty at all, if anything, she's fairly average looking. now defending herself, she claims that this attack "proves her point", "and that noone in the world is more reviled than a pretty woman" (her responce piece http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2124782/Samantha-Brick-says-backlash-bile-yesterdays-Daily-Mail-proves-shes-right.html )

I'd like to hear what you think; is the anger justified, can you defend her, do you think she's wrong and arrogant, or even a simple rating of her looks (she started it after all)

EDIT: my second link should now work

She thinks she's pretty, that's quaint.

I can't get over the pic of her in the simmer dress (with that fat arse) and her husband in the camo and a rifle... how the fuck does a shot like that even come about!!??

That was the most appawling thing I have read in a long while! She is deluded and needs to get over herself... hell... she also needs to fucking man-up once in a while... sounds like she cries far to fucking much!

I bet she dresses as an old lady, and slips poisened apples to anyone who dares be prettier than her too... anyone heard of any mysterious attractive-female genocides recently? I think we have found the suspect...!

lol, she's not THAT good looking. hahaha this woman is full of it.

This has just made my day.
Her fake smile is fucking hilarious, and the wrinkles she gets when she does it, my God I'm going to shit myself laughing.
EDIT: accidentally posted while typing, don't know how :/.

It's not the dumbest article the Daily Mail has run, I'll say that for her.

In any case, she does bring up an interesting subject. Good looking women are treated pretty shit a lot of the time. Women tend to envy and ostracize "the pretty one". It's not uncommon that "the pretty one" soon becomes "the slut" thanks to nasty rumours. Men aren't above assuming any woman who is "aggressively sexy" must be somehow mentally deficient.

My girlfriend is quite beautiful and she gets a lot of shit. A lot of my friends assume she can't be very intelligent or have strong opinions based on her looks and most of her friends often treat her pretty badly no matter how kind she is.

It's a sexist thing at the end of the day. Women see her as unwanted competition and men see her as something they want to fuck and make sandwiches for them. In reality, none of that is true, it0s just a role society has built.

To be fair, you don't even have to be especially good looking. Even if you are the prettiest in a group of relatively ugly women, you better be prepared for some ill treatment.

She seems quite full of herself. Granted, a lot of the comments are taking it too far, but her attitude doesn't appear to be making her any friends. Perhaps she should consider that as the reason for her treatment, rather than her alleged beauty.

Colour-Scientist:

ThePostalDude:
This is why we have misogyny.

That's a bullshit statement if I ever heard one.

explain, because this is the most "first world problems" woman I've ever heard of.

Wow... Pretty arrogant, especially since all she has to her name is a decent body and a fake, plasticy face. A 6.5/10, MAYBE pushing 7. Also, her smile looks like she's making a grimace, and trying to pass it off as a smile. I know far hotter girls who are cool, not stuck up, and talk about the "challenges" of being an attractive chick in our society, without sounding like a douche. Oh, you got free stuff, SO CHALLENGING. How about being treated like a sack of meat with a vag attached? Or getting back stabbed 24/7. Oh wait, that's what ALL girls have to put up with.

EDIT: Oh, and if she doesn't like us judging her based on her appearance, then she should really not mention how hard it is looking attractive.

Shes got a crooked face.

As for is it hard being a beautiful women? I wouldn't know being a man and all so I'm not going to be the one that makes that call.

However I feel inclined to say that the whole article is highschool drama at best. A women that never really moved past that stuff. Though like I said being a man and all I wouldn't know.

I'm not going to comment on her physical appearance, only to say that human attraction is an incredibly complex societal and mental construct. However, I will say that numerous scientific studies have shown that people often have an overinflated sense of their own attractiveness 'cause, hey, no one wants to think they're an uggo.

The real issue with this article is the way its written. It's an argument from authority, and the author wants her readers to sympathize and consider the topic presented because she's discussing it from a position of authority as a witness (whether or not her anecdotes are true or not isn't relevant here). That tack is faulty since the article becomes far too personal with very little context given as to how this affects women or society in general. How can one take this message and apply it to their own lives? The article isn't saying.

It doesn't help that the whole piece is suffused with superlative statements about the author's physical appearance and that the article is littered with pictures of said author. I can't deign to understand the mental processes or motivations at play in this article, but I can say that these elements make the author look like an egotist.

There's a worthwhile statement to be made from an article like this. Many women I know confide that working for a female boss, or working with a large number of female colleagues, can result in a distressingly juvenile or hostile work environment. This doesn't happen ALL the time, obviously, and I know, as a man, that I've worked for and with a great number of wonderful women. But the issue of female interpersonal relationships in the workplace is an avenue that can and should be explored. This article, however, is no way to go about inspiring that dialogue.

ThePostalDude:

explain, because this is the most "first world problems" woman I've ever heard of.

This women is extremely arrogant and narcissistic, no one's denying that. I don't see how her delusions explain misogyny, unless of course you think that 'one woman is an asshole, therefore all women are assholes.' I don't doubt for a second that there're countless men who mirror her view on life.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked