Strange habits you have

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

I talk to myself. Not in public like mumbling like a crazy person but I have full blown conversations with myself when I'm alone.

It helps me gather my thoughts together, verbalizing my thoughts seems to help me come to grips with either what I have to do or what I really want to do. It also helps me practice talking which has resulted in me being rather articulate.

I read a study last year that said that people who talk to themselves are more intelligent. Made me feel less crazy and more unique. No regrets.

I pull on my earlobe when I am truly nervous, or feel like I am in a vulnerable situation. Not sure how it started.

And I speak out loud a lot. To no one in particular.

I pace around slowly when I think to myself. People find it weird, and apparently it makes them dizzy.

I usually eat food on a plate in a certain order.

When I drink I usually drink the whole glass at once, because I'm either thirsty or being forced to drink by my mother and therefore want to get through with it as fast as possible to not deal with it later.

I never pee standing up.

All the pens in my pencilcase face the same way.

I always have certain tabs open on my browser and always in a certain order.

When I accidentally turn the wrong way when travelling around the house I do my exact movement in opposite to counter act it.

That's all I can think of right now. I don't appear as weird as this sounds, honest.

I write a review for about 99% of the movies I watch.

Anyone else do that? ;p

I double check EVERYTHING. Part of it is the paranoia of having thought I did something while not having done it in the past. The other part is my mild OCD forcing me to into twos of everything. It sucks, but it is what it is. Plus I hardly ever miss doing something I'm trying to do anymore.

SckizoBoy:

VaudevillianVeteran:
Er, I like volume to be on an even number, I have to have my game piles in a certain way or it irritates me.

Guilty on both counts... after a fashion...

Volume can only be on the following settings (/100): 10; 20; 25; 33; 50; 67; 75; & 100. Don't ask...

My volume has to be on a number ending in 0 or 5. The only exception to this rule is 21 due to it being my favorite number.

OT: Everytime I burp I have to blow it out of my mouth on the assumption that if my body didn't want it in me it's prolly bad for me.

I soliloquise frequently, I have a habit of unconsciously not looking at when talking to someone, I tend to stammer and stutter if I'm anxious or getting defensive about something, most of the time I can't sit still; usually bouncing my knee like there's some kind of invisible bass drum pedal in front of me if I'm sitting down or pacing up and down the room if I'm up, I click my fingers and my back, I wash my hands excessively, I like to rub the labels inside of certain shirts (I hate to think what it looks like I'm doing to any onlookers XD) and I'm sure I do a lot of other really wierd things that I can't quite bring to mind right now. I guess some of those things I could put down to the Aspergers, but Iunno about the rest, guess I'm just generally wierd. =/

GethBall:

VaudevillianVeteran:
Er, I like volume to be on an even number,

Haha...... same here. I always have it on the 5 system, like 10, 15, 20, 30 etc.

hha glad im not the only one with the 5 quirk

Ddgafd:

Lastly, I walk back and forth when I'm waiting for something. I can never stand still. If I have to, it makes me feel uncomfortable. Which is why, during class, I'm always swinging my legs or fiddling with my pen or something like that.

THIS! 100x over this, Someone is going to come hang with me I walk around until they get there. Waiting for dota 2 que I walk around my room, Sitting at work my legs bounce the whole time. I don't take a lunch break so I can take 5, 10 minute breaks to get up and walk around every few minutes.

No matter what game I'm playing I have to reload after I kill someone but only after I do if I shoot and don't hit them I just wait till I get someone else, I also always twitch my leg or foot and I usually don't notice it till someone points it out to me.

I also start randomly laughing at things I don't know why it just happens and I've been told whenever I laugh like that it's very scary.

When I'm eating a sub, I don't eat it from one end to the other. I eat the top half first, then I eat from one end to the other. So if I'm holding the sub, the open part is facing up. I'll eat from the top down the length of the sub, then I'll eat from one end to the other.

I'm another person that usually ends up twitching something, generally my foot or such. Been doing it for many years and it pisses mom off cause it generally ends up shaking the table or other nearby bits of furniture. Another that's probably not uncommon, but if I've been reading a book series, I tend to starting using dialect closer to what the book uses, or I'll just pick up phrases n such off of them.

GethBall:
Well just a few moments ago I was doing my daily ritual of cleaning the dirt and filth out of my Xbox controller and realised how wierd it was that I do it to every thing I can get my hands on. I usually get a toothpick and clean dirt out of the cracks and semes on my computer, controller etc. but I never actually clean anyhting else just the dirt that gets clogged up. I get excited out how joyous it is. Another wierd habit I have is when i'm in a group and knowone is talking to me and I cant be bothered listening I usually start scratching my head and doing random gestures (like the typical Bioware character, you know, the ones that scratch there heads walk around a bit then cross their arms). I also have many other habits that I find wierd but thats the only one I can think of right now.

So escapists, do you have any habits that you find wierd or anyone else finds wierd?

Captcha: panic button.... uhh.... ahh.... were is it, Im freaking out down here, omg were all gonna dieeee.

I don't understand, you think that's strange? You think the impulse to clean things is unique enough to be strange? REALLY? People don't really bring up cleaning things as dinner conversation but it's not "strange". Strange is sucking on the analog stick or dismantling it to check for bugs before playing.

I always like to have things in evens, and preferably, in 4s. If I have quarters, I will arrange them into squares, and if I have a lot of quarters, I will arange the squares into squares and so on an do on You don't want to leave a bunch of pennies right in front of me or else you will whatever surface you put them on will be filled to the brim with squares. I probably have OCD. I used to have something called motor tick which is a symptom of turrettes, and most people who have that also have OCD. I also will sometimes look to my left if I realize that I just looked to my right. Then I will do it 1-3 more times to even out the amount of times that I turned my head in sets.

I have idle handle syndrome.

Always fiddling with something.

-I have to get crunk and dance with my cat at least 3 times to some thug nasty rap music

-When I smoke a cigarette at home I have to bring the butt inside, wet it down and wrap a wet paper towel around it then throw it in the trash. (old habit I had of hiding I smoked back when I was a teen and never got rid of it, and I hate cigarette butts in my yard)

-I talk to myself all the time while I play games, commentary, jokes, raging at myself for sucking etc.

-I have to chew on the plastic thing that you take off a new gallon of milk.

I do this wierd thing with my eyes, I sort of open them really wide then roll them , before returning to normal, it is actually kinda painful :(
I only do it when I'm tired though.
But I am always tired
ALWAYS

Ever since I was a kid, whenever I got excited about something I would start to flap my arms. I used to get teased for it a lot, and got yelled at it in school(I couldn't control it back then). It was especially frustrating when teachers told me to sit on my hands and then got annoyed that I wasn't getting any work done(thanks New Jersey public schools). As I got older I got to the point where I could control it in public, usually by sticking my hands in my pockets or fiddling with an object. But in private I just usually let 'em fly.

I also have to do certain things the same way over and over again. Like whenever I replay a Mass Effect game--or other games like them--I almost never change how I play my characters, it has to be the exact same for that particular character or I get annoyed.

Hmmm... What is a strange habit I have...
I guess my noticing of patterns and lines would be considered weird. For example, I can look at the time and see some kind of pattern unfold, no matter what time it is. 9:30 becomes 9+3 = 12 = 0, 1, 2. 7:44 becomes (4 + 4) - 7 = 1. Its kind of annoying really, my brain will just do that without me having to think about it or try to do anything. It gets especially annoying with lines. Whenever I walk into a room and see shelves, tiles on the floor, books, etc. my brain projects lines from the edges of every 90 degree angle, and I think of where I have to stand in order to avoid the lines. When I have found that spot, my brain will say "ok, now what about from every 45 degree angle?" and I figure out the spot from there. All of this done in the first few seconds I walk into a room.
Of course, I ignore both of these things since I would go insane trying to avoid all the imaginary lines that my brain creates. These things just sort of happen /shrug

I hope that counts as a habit, thats all I can think of atm =|

thomas.owns:
I have idle handle syndrome.

Always fiddling with something.

Yeah I do that too. The only time my hands are still is when they are holding something, or in my pockets. I'm always tapping out a beat with my hands and fingers when listening to music (unless they are occupied).

i can't sit/stand still, no matter what. i'll move within a few seconds of me being stationary. i talk to myself constantly, be it to understand something i watched/read, or recalling a memory of something i saw before. also i have to individually crack my fingers, constantly. if i don't, they begin to feel stiff and i can't move them that well if i don't, same thing with toes, neck, elbows, etc. the last is taking certain words i've heard/read and using them in everday conversations, which makes people look at me strange when i say something in a random language i've heard and they don't know what it means, or a word that's just not said around here much, like boya. yare,yare is also another one i use a lot actually.....

Tank207:
Ever since I was a kid, whenever I got excited about something I would start to flap my arms.

My sister has done that since she was little as well.

I constantly spin one of my ear-rings in my left ear.
I'm a pen clicker.
I constantly empty my inbox/outbox on my phone.
My games have to be organized alphabetically unless there are sequels under a different name, sequels always go together. Same thing goes with icons on my desktop.
I constantly check my pockets to make sure I didn't lock my keys in my car, even when I'm driving.
I argue with myself out loud all the time, I always lose to myself as well. V.V
I re-read my posts over and over before I post anything. I'm pretty sure that's my anxiety messing with me though.

I can think of things that are funny to me, and I'll start laughing with no outside correlation, so people just think im nuts >.>

Smithburg:
I can think of things that are funny to me, and I'll start laughing with no outside correlation, so people just think im nuts >.>

Hehe, I do the same. It doesn't help much that a lot of people already find me strange to begin with... unless they actually know me, then it's normal to them.

I say "vilda vaniljmunkar!" seriously. It's kind of a Swedish equivalent of "Jumpin' Jehoshephat!" or some other of those exclamations that you only see in old comic books.

Smithburg:

Me too!
Also, I try to read at least two manga books every day.

I slap door frames as I walk by them..

I have a hard time using the head to mouth filter and usually end up saying things that make people reply "you have some issues man" like seriously, all my coworkers, family and friends will tell you I do.

When I'm doing something that has my full attention, if someone does something to me that breaks my concentration I get pissed off, like a have to take a second to know punch them kinda break.

When I think real hard, I close my right eye and tap my right side incisors together.

I can't sleep with the closet open, the monster will get me..

I'm a compulsive light dancer. I have to nod my head to almost any music, or of it's silent to the music in my head.

Torrasque:
Hmmm... What is a strange habit I have...
I guess my noticing of patterns and lines would be considered weird. For example, I can look at the time and see some kind of pattern unfold, no matter what time it is. 9:30 becomes 9+3 = 12 = 0, 1, 2. 7:44 becomes (4 + 4) - 7 = 1. Its kind of annoying really, my brain will just do that without me having to think about it or try to do anything. It gets especially annoying with lines. Whenever I walk into a room and see shelves, tiles on the floor, books, etc. my brain projects lines from the edges of every 90 degree angle, and I think of where I have to stand in order to avoid the lines. When I have found that spot, my brain will say "ok, now what about from every 45 degree angle?" and I figure out the spot from there. All of this done in the first few seconds I walk into a room.
Of course, I ignore both of these things since I would go insane trying to avoid all the imaginary lines that my brain creates. These things just sort of happen /shrug

I hope that counts as a habit, thats all I can think of atm =|

I do something like that, maybe not quite as much. Though whenever I see numbers, I do things to them. Really, when I look at the time and see 11:23, I start multiplying and dividing them. Keeps my math skills going.

I'm constantly playing the drums on my knees, or tapping my fingers.
I highlight random passages of text when I'm reading anything online.
I narrate my life in my head and interview myself.
Yeah, I'm weird...

When listening to music (either on cd or iPod, I find it really really difficult to stop it in the middle of a track. I have to listen to it all the way through. Also (and everyone I know thinks this is weird, but it makes sense to me) I file my dvds/blurays in order of running time. My games I file in order of serial number. Does that make me weird? No.

I HATE going to the same place twice, or backtracking, when I'm out and about. I will go out of my way to find routes that never cross paths or force me back to the same place. It annoys the crap out of the fiancée. On the other hand, it's helped me gain knowledge of my city and really made me a good planner.

Strange habit of not trusting strangers at all. Not even going to go out of my way to help you because I think your all a bunch of evil pricks. I keep this way of thinking to myself. Keep myself from shaking hands with people for fear they will go after my wallet or something. My switchblade is on me 24 seven and I instictly grab it when strangers talk to me. I have no real reason for being so paranoid, just am. Real funny to a stranger to walk up and talk to me as I stick my hand in my pocket and glare at them.

Spinning things in my hands(pens,markers, anything I can spin through my fingers). It causes my mind to sharpen on the task as well as not dropping what I'm spinning.

being that I'm a marine, have ASPD, and am a drunk I probably lack the the ability to actually tell you which of my habits are strange and which aren't

For some reason I walk up two stairs with my left foot and one with my right, like not even consciously. Even weirder is that I seem physically impossible of doing it the other way around.

Whenever I'm stocking groceries, I try to make the displays even or symmetrical. And any time a customer messes up my displays, I get annoyed.
For non-work related habits, I like to organize my books, movies and games. Books are done alphabetically by author's last name and then by title. My games are done alphabetically by title. And i have my movies split into animated/foreign and live action/English-speaking and are then alphabetized.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked