Strange habits you have

Pages PREV 1 2 3

I Perch on the seat frequently and sit in positions other people can't, so my legs are quite flexible.
I also have to put my legs in my shirt constantly when at home, it used to just be because it was cold, now i commonly do it because it has become comfortable. I did that in my jacket in Gym class today, the coach never swapped me in.

Gaming-wise:

-I reload constantly during shooters; to the point where even if I have an almost-full clip and tons of enemies are charging me, I reload anyway.

-If the game integrates heavy physics gameplay, I spend a good chunk of it stacking boxes on one end of a map, climbing them, jumping a wall, and seeing if I can enter the negative zone of the game that the programmers forgot to clear.

Nongaming-wise:

I always have my right foot be the last step at the end of stairs. I have no reason or idea why.

FernandoV:

GethBall:
Well just a few moments ago I was doing my daily ritual of cleaning the dirt and filth out of my Xbox controller and realised how wierd it was that I do it to every thing I can get my hands on. I usually get a toothpick and clean dirt out of the cracks and semes on my computer, controller etc. but I never actually clean anyhting else just the dirt that gets clogged up. I get excited out how joyous it is. Another wierd habit I have is when i'm in a group and knowone is talking to me and I cant be bothered listening I usually start scratching my head and doing random gestures (like the typical Bioware character, you know, the ones that scratch there heads walk around a bit then cross their arms). I also have many other habits that I find wierd but thats the only one I can think of right now.

So escapists, do you have any habits that you find wierd or anyone else finds wierd?

Captcha: panic button.... uhh.... ahh.... were is it, Im freaking out down here, omg were all gonna dieeee.

I don't understand, you think that's strange? You think the impulse to clean things is unique enough to be strange? REALLY? People don't really bring up cleaning things as dinner conversation but it's not "strange". Strange is sucking on the analog stick or dismantling it to check for bugs before playing.

Well that was the only thing I could think of at the time. I've got plenty of other weird habits.

Like when I go to sleep, I must always have a blanket over me and have the fan on at the same time, even if its hot or cold.

I also have a knack at over analyzing things. Like if a friend asks me what I did on the weekend, it will usually turn into me thinking it's a government conspiracy.

And I dont think this counts as weird, but I must always correct my friends spelling on Facebook, they get really annoyed but I enjoy it.

I could make a list of some of my brothers' weird/annoying habits, but I don't feel like taking the next few day to remember all of them.

One of my weird habits is when I'm playing video games I will often say things like "ow" when being hit, shot, or blown up even though I'm not actually being hurt. I also tend to freak out about random things like if someone pops around a corner and kills me in a way that gives me no time to react I will often cringe for a moment or two out of pure shock.

I can't really think of anything else at the moment. If I do I'll be sure to post it.

1nfinite_Cros5:
Gaming-wise:

-I reload constantly during shooters; to the point where even if I have an almost-full clip and tons of enemies are charging me, I reload anyway.

You're not alone there, I always reload to. I guess it's just being cautious.

talking to myself.
also arguing with myself or an invented character to better understand my position in arguments

also fiddling with things. its not so much of an extremely necessary compulsion as much as it is something to help occupy my mind, because the way my brain works, i'm often thinking of something, following every free associative path, and have a soundtrack all at the same time. The fiddling cuts out the free association, which allows me to not be distracted. EDIT: thinking about it, doesn't need to be my fingers. pacing, placing books back on shelves at my work, drawing in the air, writing notes (even if nonsense) in my notebook that i keep in my breast pocket at all times, all help.

also planning for any circumstance, such as someone catching me in a lie (not that i do very much, but when i do i spend much of my free time planning around every response and covering every base)

EDIT TWO: And the fact that my current goal is to be crazy prepared. i currently keep on my person at all times a: Mechanical pencil, ipod touch, flash drive with various files that i like to keep around, a different flash drive with a diagnostic tool, a debugging tool, and an operating system, a wallet (with the obvious), a small spool of string (weak enough to be cut with teeth, but strong enough to still be useful), a multi-tool, lip balm (i have chronic chapped lips), and finally a small 80 sheet notebook full of illegible handwriting, ramblings of things that don't exist, diagrams of things that don't exist, random strings of characters, maps of areas and planets that don't exist, entire pages that have been scribbled out, (poor) attempts at drawing, and so on.

and plugging TVTropes when ever I think it relevent.

Well i don't know if this first one really counts as a habit it's more of an obsessive compulsion but I have to put on rubber gloves when I moisturise my face (as I'm a girl i do it everyday) I detest the feel of cream on my hands. Yeah I know I'm weird!

Also when I'm driving anywhere, whether it's a long journey or just to the shop, I have to take a different route home. I cant drive the same way home that i drove out on.
If im sitting in my car and not driving, i always clean my steering wheel and gear stick.

When I'm out with my friends to play pool, I tend to chew on a straw to concentrate.
I'm also a fidgeter, and i constantly flick my fingers.

Not particularly to strange as I'm sure many other people do it as well, I space out and stare off into the distance. This can become a problem as people may believe I'm staring at them.

ToTaL LoLiGe:
My weirdest habit is eating the bits of bacon fat that are sometimes in the frying pan, nice and crispy.

Then you must be a boring and beige super-normal person.

OT: I don't know of any wierd habits of mine. Wich is either a good thing because there's only a few or ive got so many that I don't notice them and everyone around me thinks im a fucking wierdo.

I make sound effects.

You can't really hear them because this is a forum, but I make them regardless.

When I drink anything with a straw I have to chew the end of the straw as I drink.
I talk to myself when I'm focusing on something.
I play with my hair when I'm bored.

I like to tap. Whether it's on a desk or my knees, I like tapping out songs.

I tend to make sound effects whenever they seem relevant. It's rarely more than "bam", "pshoo" or "krakow" sounds, though.

I can't stand up straight and still. I can sit still, but if I'm standing, I either have to lean, bounce around a bit, dance on the spot or pace.

If I have a plastic candy stick, I must chew on it. I MUST. It feels soooo much better than chewing on some stupid piece of gum. Gum is sticky and it just lets my teeth right through. However, plastic isn't sticky and it's actually solid; It puts up some resistance when I chomp down on it.

I monologue. A LOT. My head is almost constantly enacting some sort of soliloquy. When it's not, I'm concentrating on my gaming, actually conversing with someone or speaking with someone in my imagination. This is probably because I'm so socially awkward and isolated that I usually find it safer, more stimulating and more satisfying to speak in my mind than to actually talk to someone.

Irrelevant:
Captcha: pie are round

Yes they are, captcha. Though this brings up an interesting question: is the plural of "pie" the same as the singular, or is it "pies"? I always thought it was "pies".

I think a lot; really that's what it comes down to. Thinking is strange isn't it? I'm unique.

edit: supersupersuperguy it is pies, the captcha is asian (i mean american)

Douglas Dover:
when concentrating i have to be chewing soothing, be it a pen, chewing gum or finger nails. don't know why, at least i stopped chewing my shirts collar like i did when i was a child

ah yes, chewing the shirt collar. that was a problem that lasted a bit too long for me. but im over it mostly now. (i'll still nibble the collar a bit occasionally before i realize what i'm doing, used to be i would almost frigging eat my damn shirt from the collar).

also, i fidget, always. it has always been, so i never even knew it was odd untill i got called out on it a few times early in school.

i'm sure there are a few more, i just don't remember right now.

supersupersuperguy:
I like to tap. Whether it's on a desk or my knees, I like tapping out songs.

I tend to make sound effects whenever they seem relevant. It's rarely more than "bam", "pshoo" or "krakow" sounds, though.

I can't stand up straight and still. I can sit still, but if I'm standing, I either have to lean, bounce around a bit, dance on the spot or pace.

If I have a plastic candy stick, I must chew on it. I MUST. It feels soooo much better than chewing on some stupid piece of gum. Gum is sticky and it just lets my teeth right through. However, plastic isn't sticky and it's actually solid; It puts up some resistance when I chomp down on it.

I monologue. A LOT. My head is almost constantly enacting some sort of soliloquy. When it's not, I'm concentrating on my gaming, actually conversing with someone or speaking with someone in my imagination. This is probably because I'm so socially awkward and isolated that I usually find it safer, more stimulating and more satisfying to speak in my mind than to actually talk to someone.

Irrelevant:
Captcha: pie are round

Yes they are, captcha. Though this brings up an interesting question: is the plural of "pie" the same as the singular, or is it "pies"? I always thought it was "pies".

first thing, it is indeed pies. however, HOW THE HELL DID YOU LIST EVERY SINGLE OTHER QUIP I HAVE?!?!?!

I make sound effects at all times, during conversation, to people i've just met, don't care, love me some sound effects.

Aside from that, I have this obsession with looking about as hostile and intimidating as possible, while trying the be the nicest guy you'll ever meet.

My heart rate rarely raises aside from when i'm exerting myself. As you can probably tell, this makes it very hard for me to get pissed off at people as i'm usually so calm and jovial about every situation that there isn't a need for me to get annoyed.

However, on the other end of the scale, I frequently drift off into daydreams where I end up beating the ever loving crap out of some random guy for being a douchebag. I used to have anger management issues, so I believe this stems from that.

I love whiskey. So much so I refuse to drink pretty much anything else when whiskey is available. Vodka can fuck off, beer sucks, cider is a poor substitute for alcohol and rum is well, generally not thought about but can be enjoyed. I've actually started viewing people who can't drink whiskey as lesser beings. That might actually be the first sign of a problem developing, should really check that out...

That's actually given me a remarkable tolerance to alcohol now though. I drunk two 33% 50cl bottles of fireball whiskey in the space of three hours (because I don't down it like a moron, I like the taste and will savour it, goddammit) and only started feeling a little drunk as I was finishing the second bottle. It annoys me considering by the time i'd turned up most people there were drunk off of about three WKDs, which anyone English should know the true meaning for that acronym.

I like counting things. Ceiling tiles, floor tiles, steps to get up stairs, how many strides with my fingers it takes to finger walk across a desk, that sort of thing. I also get really annoyed when someone moves a pile of my games from how i've arranged it into something even just slightly different.

This one I think is widespread with any computer user. CLOSE MY DOOR WHEN YOU GO OUT THE ROOM, ITS LIKE THE TOILET SEAT, IF YOU PUT IT UP, PUT IT DOWN AFTER. YOU OPEN MY DOOR? CLOSE IT AFTER. Goddammit people, its not that hard.

I have problems viewing other human beings as people rather than obstacles or machines. Its gotten to the point where I will try to steer conversations in the direction I want just so I can offer responses i've thought of beforehand as a challenge. I've found my main use for this skill is setting myself up for jokes, which helps with that nice guy thing i've got going.

As you can tell, the girl i'm currently seeing isn't at all pleased with the last one :3

Edit:

Damn, where did the last twenty minutes go and why did this end up longer than the original one thing I had planned to say. Goddammit escapist :P

I talk to myself a lot. And I'll pop my knuckles, neck, shoulders, back, and knees-in that order-when I'm bored/nervous. And I'll frequently catch myself twitching my big toe for no reason.

Every now and then I'll get stuck on a song or two and have them looping repeatedly throughout my head, and if I'm not actively listening to them and the room is quiet, I'll start humming the guitar track or vocals.

Like others in this thread, I was never really a "social butterfly" and often talked to myself or even had full conversations in my head, which is something that has mostly stuck around even to this day. I'll often speak my forum/in-game chat responses out loud if I'm alone, and once or twice I've tried to continue typing while speaking and ended up getting one of the two conversations mixed up.

If I get angry at something someone has posted or said, I'll either type out a long, rant-y post or spend ten minutes having a one-sided argument in my head, neither of which end up ever seeing the light of day unless I'm further provoked by the person that originally evoked said anger.

Since I can remember, I've always had this. . . something, that was just off enough to make me always feel the need to itch various parts of my body. Typically it's my head or neck, sometimes arms, legs, or back. I just always feel the need to itch.

If I'm not doing something with my hands I'll feel restless and need to pick up something like a pen or remote control, or even sometimes my hairbrush. I've also never liked getting my hands dirty, getting even the tiniest amount of dirt on them was enough to make me want to scrub for five minutes straight. Well, that's not entirely confined to my hands, though. Accidentally stepping into a puddle of mud or something is just terrible, even wearing shoes.

Also, a few people I know think this is weird but it doesn't feel that way to me:
Pretty often I'll start a game, get a few hours into it, then go back to playing a different game for a few hours. The reason is because occasionally I feel like playing, say, a third-person shooter, and then once that feeling is sufficiently satiated I might feel like playing, say, a platformer. Don't get me wrong, I love the stories of video games and the writer/critic in me loves picking every little bit apart, but the stories are rarely enough to keep me interested if I just don't feel like playing that style of game.

It felt like a chore getting through the first Assassin's Creed, and by about half-way through the second one I was wondering how much further I had to go because I had already gotten the best armor and weapons and still had fifteen hours of storyline to go through.

Every so often I'll feel like playing a game but not know what to play and then end up playing nothing instead.

I also often type out long posts like this one and then end up deciding it's not worth it to actually post, and just close the tab.

I don't like to sit normally. I'll often be shifting in my seat, and usually just give up and put my knees up on the desk or something. I also have a tendency to whistle when I'm bored - my friends have said they've known I was coming when I was hallways away because of my whistling. If I'm in a situation where I can't whistle, I'll make the required fingerings for whatever tune it is I'm thinking of.

I'll also occasionally adopt an accent without meaning to - if I'm exposed to a new accent enough, I'll just pick it up without thinking about it, and it'll come and go with varying intensity for several days or more.

I will also sometimes punch air, or walls if I'm feeling bored or tired.

I deliberately use outdated words like "smashing" and "cheerio" to play up the fact I'm British (see what I did there) - we never say them at home but the Yankees love it.

Mr_RogersCU13:
I have always had this tick where I will silently repeat to myself whatever I just said aloud to someone. Being from the southern US, I've always figured that its because we speak so darn slow, my brain works faster than my mouth does and I have to mentally check if what I said was right.

It is difficult to break my self of it. In professional settings I have to consciously make myself not do it.

I too did this as a child but I managed to get myself out of the habit after being constantly mocked for it.

I have restless leg syndrome for both my legs. Don't know if that counts as a habit or not for this thread to be honest.

I always pace around. Whether it be at home or when I'm waiting in a public area. It helps relieve the restless leg and it helps me focus when I'm thinking. People around me always get nervous when I do, I don't know why. I've been told to "just sit down" because of it several times.

I talk to myself... a lot... as if I'm talking to another person, just to help collect my thoughts...god, I'm lonely.

I also nibble my fingertips.

Fijiman:
I could make a list of some of my brothers' weird/annoying habits, but I don't feel like taking the next few day to remember all of them.

One of my weird habits is when I'm playing video games I will often say things like "ow" when being hit, shot, or blown up even though I'm not actually being hurt. I also tend to freak out about random things like if someone pops around a corner and kills me in a way that gives me no time to react I will often cringe for a moment or two out of pure shock.

I can't really think of anything else at the moment. If I do I'll be sure to post it.

I think they call that immersion. I do the same thing sometimes, but i would hardly call that a habit unless your litterally doing it every hit.

When I'm leaving a restaurant I have to take a toothpick and chew on it when I see that they are available. I don't use them to pick my teeth though much to the annoyance of some friends that see me do it.

I think constantly and I will go off into my own little world if I'm bored and without warning. This has caused some very awkward moments when I'm caught in my own thoughts, and I feel like an ass when it does happen.

When I poor myself a glass of something I won't use ice, and if there's ice in my glass I have to have a straw, otherwise I with either not drink it or it will take me forever to finish the glass.

whenever someone in the family makes, say a sandwich, and ueses the exactly the same bread and ingredients i use, and leaves the kitchen knife on the table for someone else to use, i can never use it to make exactly the same sandwich and i can't figure out why

Mr_RogersCU13:
I have always had this tick where I will silently repeat to myself whatever I just said aloud to someone.

OH my god i do the exact same thing and i can't figure out why!
it so annoying when my friends point it out to me

imnotparanoid:
I do this wierd thing with my eyes, I sort of open them really wide then roll them , before returning to normal, it is actually kinda painful :(

what? like your avatar?

Somehow I managed to pick up the strange habit of running my finger up the top half of my nose as if I'm pushing my glasses back into place...but I've never worn glasses. Ever. It makes little sense.
Not the first to mention this, but I like things in 5s. Always the way when I was playing Final Fantasy games, every time I visited a shop everything would be balanced to the nearest 5, and if it was already on a 5, I'd usually stack another 5 on top.
Oh, and I'll usually have at least 2 voices in my head when I consider a point, they argue a lot. Pretty sure defining my thoughts competely independantly like that makes things easier for me.

I always hover my mouse over every link on a webpage to see where it goes, even if I know exactly where it goes. This makes browsing TV tropes even more painful for me.

I can be a bit of a hypochrodriac so I fear disease and I can easily freak my self out about simple symptoms of absolutely nothing. Currently I'm worried a stray cat I've been feeding on my porch has mange. I read up a bit on wikipedia in hopes of getting an answer or two and I've been scratching since I read it, fearing in the back of my head that he gave it to me. Of course I realize that more than likely thats probably just my messed up brain.

I have a serious fidgetting problem. When I was in school I was would wear lots of necklaces (like 7 at a time, 24/7) and I would play with them, pull on them, chew on the pendants. Now I don't wear necklaces very often so instead I play with my constantly. I pull on it, twirl it, run my fingers through. It's a good thing I have LOTS of hair or else I'd probably make myself bald.

I also have a habit of never sitting in silence. I cannot do anything unless there is a movie, the TV, music, something playing in the background. I can't stand the sound of silence (yes I know that doesn't make a lot of sense, but it's true and hard for me to explain). Right now I have Rango playing for the billionth time and I'm only vaguely paying attention to it, using it more for noise.

For some reason I always have to do something with my hands. I'm always twirling a pen or something. And when I'm talking, I use a lot of hand gestures.

captcha: "drink milk" Nah, the fridge is downstairs.

Ix Rebound:

imnotparanoid:
I do this wierd thing with my eyes, I sort of open them really wide then roll them , before returning to normal, it is actually kinda painful :(

what? like your avatar?

Kinda yeah, although, I only started doing it not long after I got that avatar...
OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE

I applaud the television sometimes when I see a particularly funny joke.

I design liquid pipelines and pump systems - usually fuel related - in my head while I'm... visiting the smallest room.

It's not like there's anything else to do.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked