Would you wear Project:Glass?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

The thing I don't understand about these devices is that they seem to always be built on the assumption that everyone on planet Earth is some kind of tech-obsessed douchebag (with no disrespect to the former intended). I mean seriously, you're gonna "check in" to a friggin' coffee van? But that's probably just because they wanted to show off all it can do.

On top of that I could just see a rise in accidents and vision impairment with your sight constantly being barred by flashy updates, not to mention people looking at you funny 'cause you're essentially talking to yourself all the time.

At least with something like a smart phone not only do they not expect you to strap it to your face 24/7, but it's such a diverse device that it can cater to people like me with just calls and the occasional photo to people who love themselves a bit of gadgetry with apps and functions out the wazoo.

Then again, I'm the sort of guy who's heart breaks whenever he sees a group of friends individually glued to their phones instead of interacting with each other, so maybe I'm just seeing this negatively as that friend situation times a billion and without the normality of carrying it around in your pocket until you actually need it. Plus:

One of those rare times when something could actually be improved by more closely resembling Kanye West glasses.

My one concern is if they'll be able to make that work with prescription lenses. I don't want to be all super connected only to have my lazy eye re-enact the Brodyquest video while I'm trying to look all hip with my ukulele and my fake girlfriend.

Just so I could make DBZ jokes

No. HUDs are cool in video games, but I don't think they'd translate well into real life.

I especially am no big fan of voice-command. I don't like the idea of talking to a machine.

And the fact that it's a piece of eyewear really makes the tech kind of implausible. I'm just not seeing a device like this taking off at all.

ResonanceSD:

ThePS1Fan:
HELL YES, monitor me everywhere I go, record every single conversation I have and sell all my personal info to anyone who asks just give me these first.

So i take it you dont have facebook then.

Nope, they never offered my glasses that'd make me look like a complete tool or a Star Trek cos player or something. And like everyone else that's how I determine the value of a company. Still want these though.

If it was reliable and didn't make me look like a douchebag, then definitely. But those are some huge issues.

no. No. NOOOO.

Seriously, I'm becoming a huge technophobe. The social networks are bad enough, not to mention being forced into constant contact with everyone at once.... Pretty soon they'll be planting microchips in our heads and then? SINGULARITY!!!!

Okay, a little extreme, but yeah... still no. I don't want to constantly be connected to a network.

If they have apps and stuff sure. I've been waiting for this kind of thing forever.

Given that I have to wear glasses anyways I say Hell yeah! I imagine it wouldn't be hard to incorporate that technology into a perscription lens.

No. I don't need ads popping up in my eyes. They'd probably give my body a shock if I tried to install an ad blocker...

No. No no no no no.

I don't need something that can track my every move like that, and all my communication. So, no, get it as far away as possible. Hell, I don't even have facebook you know - which is funny, since I'm the most nerdy and digital one from my family...and the only one who doesn't have facebook.

And apart from the "tracking" thing, I really do like to, you know, use my own goddamn brain.

Xiado:
Just so I could make DBZ jokes

We'll be killed by a flood of over 9000 over 9000 jokes.

Well, now it may be possible to consider the HUD in FPS games to be realistic...

RatRace123:
Plus, it doesn't look like they show my health bar, or show my enemies on the radar.

Can you imagine if it showed 'health bars'? Unless you were a gym junkie cross-bred with a health-nut, it'd probably be pretty dismal considering how often people eat junk food, or drink coffee, or whatever their poison is.

I wouldn't mind HUD glasses, except maybe make them MORE voice activated or something so you aren't getting stuff popping up whenever you see a billboard. Also, if there was some nice layout control on it, so you can have it either provide star ratings, or change hues, or whatever you want it to do for whatever function you want it to do it for.

But I wouldn't get one. I don't want some mega-corporation knowing where I am any more than they already do.

yeah looks pretty cool to me aesthetics are a little off for me though

I've seen these all over the internet today and I've been wondering what they were.
They look pretty ugly.

I have 20/20 vision. I'm not going to wear glasses.

They make them into a sweet pair of aviators, and make them more discrete to use then we'll talk.

Da Orky Man:
Erm, it's a small transparent screen. I see no need for any surgery. And you do know that similar companies have developed a synthetic eye that can allow basic sight to the blind? You may want to look things up before roundly criticising.

So a small transparent screen is how they would achieve the tech in that video?, I doubt it.

And why quote me on something you then turn around and tell me?
How do you think they make a synthetic eye work?! - it involves an implant in your brain and the removal of an eye... now I haven't been in an apple store for a while, so I'm not sure how they're kitted out for major surgery...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaHUpWuqNHY

No. Simple as that. I prefer keep my life outside of the house as independent from technology as possible. I do not own a cellphone, I do not use a GPS, and I do not need something constantly beeping at me and showing me a bunch of data I would rather acquire manually.

No. That has to be one of the stupidest things I've ever encountered. I already think smart phones are unnecessary and gimmicky. The last thing I want to do is attach one to my face. Also, why do they always have such douchey twats in these types of advertisements?

I like the idea, but I doubt it's going to work as advertised. Yet. Maybe once they advance it a bit I'll think about it.
Now for the sake of musing:
I was thinking something like this:

And I saw something like this:

And then I couldn't find an image displaying a look of disdain to symbolize my face.

I'm pretty sure that it'll be quite a while in development =D I'm not going to be an early adopter, of course.

I would wear one

surg3n:

Da Orky Man:
Erm, it's a small transparent screen. I see no need for any surgery. And you do know that similar companies have developed a synthetic eye that can allow basic sight to the blind? You may want to look things up before roundly criticising.

So a small transparent screen is how they would achieve the tech in that video?, I doubt it.

And why quote me on something you then turn around and tell me?
How do you think they make a synthetic eye work?! - it involves an implant in your brain and the removal of an eye... now I haven't been in an apple store for a while, so I'm not sure how they're kitted out for major surgery...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaHUpWuqNHY

You can doubt it all you want, the proof is in the picture. Given how small microchips are getting, why would you need an implant of any kind? Google haven't indicated the need for any microchip. Why do you think it would be necessary?

Yeah, the synthetic eye is only for the blind. It can only just detect different coloured light, so no-one is exchanging biological eyes for synthetic ones soon. It's like comparing the resolution of a VGA camera-phone to the Hubble Telescope. That, and it's all still in development.

it looks cool but it might get annoying after a while. besides I already have a smart phone to do all that stuff for me. it also looks really ugly like a yuppy version of the scouter.
I think Augmented reality is cool and all but stuff like this is unnecessary and if I ever get something like that I would rather have them projected on my glasses.

I don't know.

Then probably not.

Da Orky Man:
You can doubt it all you want, the proof is in the picture. Given how small microchips are getting, why would you need an implant of any kind? Google haven't indicated the need for any microchip. Why do you think it would be necessary?

I watched a documentary on how they 'interface' with the occular receptor in the brain, it's like a tiny dot matrix screen that gets implanted, and lets blind people see a very basic representation. Now that'll no doubt improve, before too long there will be higher resolutions and it'll make a huge difference. My concern is that a pair of glasses will never be that good, to get anything like the results in that video, the thing would have to hijack your brain!

I guess it just annoys me how they think they can show a video like that and pass it off as real, or even possible, which it isn't. Any real world applications of these glasses that might actually be useful, is overshadowed by marketting drivel aimed at hipsters. I'd rather see the technology improve, and have some real world applications that might even help save lives. Pilots for instance could wear these and be fed vital information, cutting down on the possibility of human error. Surgeons could be overlaying cat scan data while operating on someone, making delicate surgery more efficient. The only thing shown in that video is how this tech could improve someones hipster-douchebag score. It goes to show that the developments of this tech is controlled by companies who are more interested in selling to us, than actually improving lives by any real amount. If your in a book store, speak to the nice lady behind the counter if your lost, what kind of self-centred prick would rather not bother with the most basic human interaction. I'm hating on this supposed product, that's for sure, but you have to admit that there's a lot to hate on and question, and indeed doubt in that video.

I already have all of that, it's called a blackberry, and thankfully I can carry it around instead of having to strap it to my head.

And of that I only use telephone, text, music, and e-mail if I need to send something without a computer, and nothing else.

Besides, there's also something like too much information. People with everything mobile who constantly e-mail and call without delays in real time are thought to be much more stressed out. Research is still quite preliminary, but results point towards stuff like directly checking e-mail is psychologically harmfull because you deprive yourself of rest, break social conventions (everyone's probably watched someone get called and break a conversation because they felt compelled to answer the phone) and in the long run, that's not really good for a person.

I think HUD contact lenses would be much cooler. That way you don't look like a prat while wearing them. http://gizmodo.com/5861749/heads+up-display-contact-lenses-are-one-step-closer-after-passing-safety-tests

Hmm, this may be a bit of a problem, I am a huge airsoft maniac, so the chances of it getting shattered if I fall/get shot are very high.
Hell, as long as it comes in Recon hood form;
http://na.llnet.bioware.cdn.ea.com/u/f/eagames/bioware/masseffect2/resources/assets/universe/armor/recon_hood.jpg

Or even in delumcore overlay form;
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120312191747/masseffect/images/thumb/d/d4/ME3_delumcore_overlay.png/115px-ME3_delumcore_overlay.png

I'm so wearing it.

Maybe when they can better advertise how it works than yeah.

Oh god, what if you ended up on 2 girls 1 cup or something, and just had to stand there with it right in your face...

The only thing that looks cool is the taking pictures from your perspective thing. I've wanted that since I started wearing glasses 12 years ago.

Other than that, I see no need for any of the other stuff. I barely use those features on my phone as it is.

While the idea of having a HUD in real life appeals to me a lot, this thing does not look like something I'd really want to use, even if it wasn't basically an ankle tracker for your face.

I would give it a try... I don't wear glasses but having something like that would be pretty damn sweet!

If only it came in monocle form...

Don't see everyones problem with it. Sure you can do everything the glasses can do yourself, but its easier to do it with them than without.

I mean, I can organise my friends without facebook, doesn't mean I won't use it out of some fucked up principle. If its easy to use and makes something easier to do, i'm all for it. Especially considering this will probably be used to help out the army, which i'm all for.

Edit:

I do wish they could advertise these without having the person you're following about seeming like a massive tool though.

Edit edit: I also find it quite amusing that on a site full of people willing to complain about those who aren't good with computers their are threads full of the most incoherent technophobic arguments i've ever seen. Don't want them to use your glasses as proof when you break the law? Turn them off.

Seriously, turn them off. Its not that hard.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked