Speculation: What will happen in the next decade?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Well, what do you think will happen? Politics, technology, your own life... Anything!

Take a stab into the dark and think of something you hope will happen.

Well, in ten years time I want to walk around with a degree in film, hopefully a job with an indie company and to have enough money to make the girl I like very happy. Politically? I hope there is a liberal resurgence in Canada but this time with some good leadership and careful management. No more stupid inter-party infighting. Technology? I want my personal jetpack.

Well, here. Have a crystal ball. Where are we headed humanity?

Tablets will die out as people will realise they are nothing more than giant toys. If they get their act together and W8 on tablets is good then maybe not but if things go the way they are I'd say they will be near dead.

The internet will be threatened many times, the big changes will be fought against but they will do small things which people will slowly accept. Hopefully ISPs tell them to fuck off.

3D will be here still but only because it's so cheap by that stage.

Hopefully I will have an engineering degree and a good job with that.

Half Life 3 will still not be released.

I'd also say that computers will become absolutely ubiquitious, as they're getting powerful & cheap at an exponential rate. They're already cheap enough to be useful for the average person, but prices will go so low that we'll laugh about the old days.

At some point in the next ten years I'm probably gonna pop a human out of me, thats pretty huge and terrifying for me I guess.

Other than that, I'm hoping motion controls will have blown over by then (or come up with some sort of feedback which would make it cool but I doubt it).

And another MMO will probably have toppled WoW.

Zombies.

Someone had to say it.

*KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK*

"Can I see the proof of purchase for that video game young man?"

MOOOOOOO!

The .50 Caliber Cow:

*KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK*

MOOOOOOO!

So, you're saying piracy will still be an issue. Fair enough a guess, I suppose.

OT:

We'll see the some cool new games and a lot of other shit ones. So, business as usual.

Indie developers will start to be "adopted" by other companies more and more and maybe the quality of the video games as a whole will increase.

Speaking of those, BioWare will die out or will latch on to some unholy semblance of life.

D&D 5th edition will come out and, from the looks of things so far, it would suck in many regards. This would result in some more people trying their take on making a game that isn't bad and a new niche brand will be born, like Pathfinder.

In the mean time, Wizards of the Coast will turn to necromancers and mediums to get Gary Gygax himself to come down and design a competent game.

Blizzard's new MMO Titan

World War 3

Military draft brought back

I'll still have the same cellphone because I'm always behind the times on phone tech :/

Santorum becomes president, practicing religion is a law.
Something else depressing here.

We all be on the next gen consoles and hopefully the recession would of been over by that time!

Someone will drop a Nokia cell phone in Germany, breaking Europe in two as the left half floats into the ocean. The left half will declare itself a new continent that closes it's borders and will for a short time focus solely on technological advancements and economy, it will rise to be a massive superpower stronger than every other country combined due to the much more advanced military and technological breakthroughs. They will then send out vast armies conquering the rest of Europe, the Americas, Asia, Africa, Australia and even Antarctica, controlling the entire world through an Iron fist, killing off any who oppose them to preserve the new peace. Families are assigned robotic butlers who keep life easy, but also monitor individuals and watch for any anti-governmental talk or actions completely ruling the entire world.

Or, you know, McDonalds will re-release the McRib...

I will finally get my SRS, my wife and i will celebrate 20 years of marriage (in 2022), and i will be able to put out more than 2 graphic novels a year LMAO GAWD i get so lazy!

oh ya i also will have both sleeves done, and have lost a LOT of weight :D

What will happen is there will be nothing more than chaos. Will be brutal and only the strong will survive. The only way to settle arguments is hitting people with blunt objects. To everybody out there talking on their high tech cellphones and getting in peoples way. There will be a lead pipe to your face in the future.

There will be no privacy, all our online activity will be tracked, and all copyright infringement, no matter how small will get massive fines.

The world economy will have collapsed into another great depression.

There will be some kind of small revolution in the US, which will be put down as "terrorists indoctrinating the youth". The government will keep them around just to keep the average person in fear.

...You know what? Just play the original Deus Ex. That's what I think the future will look like. Maybe minus the augments, though.

*is cynical and has no hope in the current system*

EDIT: On the plus side, the RPG my friends and I are making will be released, and will probably have done pretty well for an indie game. :)

DoPo:

The .50 Caliber Cow:

*KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK*

MOOOOOOO!

So, you're saying piracy will still be an issue. Fair enough a guess, I suppose.

Well that and there will be mechanized kill squads for offenders. Profits are important!

Hopefully Deus Ex style augmentations.
*crosses fingers*

I'm predicting even more seamless integration of computers and computer based technology in our everyday lives. However, I'm also predicting that a select group of people will challenge humanity's reliance on such technology and cause a noticeable "fuss" over the matter.

The beginning of computers (laptops and otherwise) replacing work and text books in urban, primary schools in Australia, give it another 3-5 years until regional, Australian schools follow suite.

On a more personal level, I'm hoping for Australia to start producing Dr. Pepper (Cherry Dr. Pepper, too) again so that I don't have to import it or find it at incredibly, inflated prices at speciality stores.

apple will go out of buisness as the material for touchscreens run out

Well concidering the world will end 21.12.2012, nothing much really.

I predict the laptop will begin to fade away to be replaced by its cousin the tablet. Note how I say begin.

Seattle and San Fran get wiped off the face of the Earth by the insanely huge Earthquake that geologists have predicted will be happening any time between now and VERY SOON but that nobody in either of those two cities feels the need to take any measures against.

RAILGUNS FOR THE NAVY! WOOOO!!! :D

Iran changing dramatically in some way. It could be a war with Israel (and the US inevitably), or a successful uprising by the people. Either way, the way their corrupt-as-fuck government is doing things is nowhere near sustainable and won't last more than a couple of years at the very, very longest.

Someone hopefully figures out how to mass-produce carbon nanotubes at low cost. All the technology in the world changes massively.

The Wii-U comes out. Nobody is able to buy it because when they try to ask for it at the store they can't finish their sentence due to laughing at the impossibly silly name. Nintendo bankrupts, the world moves on.

The .50 Caliber Cow:

DoPo:

The .50 Caliber Cow:

*KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK*

MOOOOOOO!

Well that and there will be mechanized kill squads for offenders. Profits are important!

You bring a very good point. Profits are important. The question is, would piracy be such a loss for the industry, that constructing mechanized kill squads will not only pay itself but bring profits? I think not. However, the industry can do only a slight change to its strategy - solving piracy will only be part of their purpose.

Activating WMG Drive...

-America will get into yet another war, and they will also drag Britan and, by extension, the EU into it too.

-Activision will make 12 Call of Duty games over the next decade. This assumes that the franchise doesnt die by then.

-Valve will still have not released Episode 3 or Half Life 3.

-Rayman will rise to oppose Mario as an equal in the platformer market.

-The machines will rise, only to fall again due to faulty experimental hardware.

Thats all i got for now.

War with Iran - 300,000 deaths
War with China - 3,000,000 deaths
War with North Korea - 1,500,000 deaths
The break up of most national/international unions
War with Russia - 5,000,000 deaths

Fanrage Alliance-Bioware War - 3,500,000,000 Deaths

We will have full holographic gaming...ON THE MOOOOOOOOOOOON!

Things, things always happen. some will be good, some terrible and some so utterly banal you will wonder why anyone told you about them.

Also a zombie apocalypse. Be ready.

wooty:

Is it wrong that I want to see that?

Just watching millions of angry Bioware "fans" charging towards a row of fully armoured Bioware employees.

Or large rallies of fans holding signs of Tali and then some Bioware death squad coming in and wiping them all out.

Personally; I will be married. Within this decade, I will be married. I'll have started up a Let's Play and hopefully it'll be mildly popular (hopefully popular enough to get me some money). I see myself sporadically updating my deviant art but the height of my popularity has already come and gone.

In terms of gaming, consoles will likely switch over to a digital-download exclusive format (except maybe Nintendo and/or, hand-helds) since the internet will become more of a standard thing than it currently is and, more reliable as well (hopefully it'll be as standard as cable services or, electricity). I'm hoping beyond hope that an all-digital future also translates into a world in which older companies release classic consoles that are pre-loaded with full games and, can download more titles (kind of like the Neo Geo console only...well the handheld model looks great but I'm thinking more plug-in-play).

I don't see a Moon or Mars colony in the next decade...I can only hope there has been a long enough stretch of peace in India or, China or, Japan for them to at least have a plan set. The U.S. helming a colonization mission in the next decade would be probably wishful to the point of idiocy.

One last thing; wouldn't it be interesting if that satellite North Korea wants to launch turns out to be an attack as in Homefront? It would trigger a war (possibly a World War) and, that would be horrible but it would be interesting. Especially if the satellite fails horribly or, goes off over the ocean or something.

The .50 Caliber Cow:

*KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK*

SKYNET's gonna get built.

Yup.

I think we will see more apathy amongst the populace. People will be encouraged to fall deeper into debt so that there will be more societal levers for control.

I expect China will not be nearly so ascendant (see Japan of the 1980's) if the US gets its head out of its ass, and starts to build things again and stops worrying about abortion etc.

I think we will not get hit by any asteroids, no super volcanoes will erupt and life will continue on, some people will do better, most people will be a little better off, and a huge number of people will struggle to find food.

My money is on nuclear/zombie apocalypse.

More realistically though i'm pretty sure EA will rule the world and we will be their whipping boys

ChupathingyX:

wooty:

Is it wrong that I want to see that?

Just watching millions of angry Bioware "fans" charging towards a row of fully armoured Bioware employees.

Or large rallies of fans holding signs of Tali and then some Bioware death squad coming in and wiping them all out.

It could be fun, you'd have to rename the fans as "The Geekers" though, just to add a nice twist to the whole thing.

Here's hoping we cure at least one of the major sicknesses. Probably not cancer or HIV but we might be able to do something about TB.

Personally, I'll just be coming out of the Royal Marines with some money in the bank. hopefully with all my limbs and whatnot. I'll then be looking to move to America.

I think incredibly fast Broadband will have been rolled out over most Europe and America. Some new gaming fad will have surfaced, and at that point will be in its middle stage. I think motion controls will be gone by then.

I like to think someone will have figured out an appropriate way to harness Thorium, and so electricity and fuel prices will drop.

Edit: Oh yes, the Brown Coats will have become a terrorist cell, and will be running operations to steal Nathan Fillion's DNA, or will have kidnapped the man himself.

DoPo:

The .50 Caliber Cow:

DoPo:

Killing is but only one of their wide range of commercial activities! They'll have put unskilled labor out of work, staff the parliament so that there will be an even more automated vote to pass whatever legislation big business wants and they can serve icecream to little children while older models entertain them with their musical talents.

The future is friendly.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked