12.7% (43)
12.7% (43)
Holiday
33.7% (114)
33.7% (114)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: What does Easter mean to you?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I thought I made this thread last year and was going to copy-pasta it with some modifications, but I can't find it... ?
Oh well, it is particularly easy to recreate since I remember what my poll questions were.

Today is Good Friday! For those of you who haven't heard of Christianity (LOLOLOLOLOLOL, sorry I couldn't resist xD) today is kind of a big deal to Christians, so much so, that everyone in the western world gets a holiday! Same with Monday. The first friday of April followed by the first monday, are holidays. So you get a free long weekend in April, pretty sweet eh?

But obviously, not all of us are ignorant of what Christianity is (pfffffffftt xD) so Easter must carry some kind of significance. So my question is simple, what is Easter's significance to you?

For me, it is holidays and zombie jesus. More about the holidays, so thats what I'll vote in the poll.
When you do vote, please vote on the #1 thing since you might get chocolate as well as zombie jesus blessing you on a holiday.

You may also want to add no flame wars to your post.

Anywho, to me Easter pretty much means a nice, long holiday. Much like Christmas and my birthday. I dont care if I dont get anything out of it.

I'm Christian, but Easter never meant that much to me.

This is probably due to me still judging holidays by the length of the vaction from school (eventhough I'm already 29). Christmas was always 2 full weeks of vaction, while Easter vaction only lasted from Good Friday to Monday. That's really no way to schedule a school vaction.

Err I only view Easter as a nice holiday break (I mean it's two weeks compare to those one week short term breaks) and chocolate eggs..

It means that for the next few weeks all my chocolate will be rabbit shaped.

Candy!
I'm not all that fond of chocolate.

And a break from school. Sweet.

To me, it's a nice long weekend. That's all. It used to mean something when I was Christian, albeit it still having little meaning, but now it's a break from school.

a few days off...a chance to finish ME3 and a block of double deck

Oh god mom. No, I don't have to wear that fancy shirt, mine is just fine. No, I don't think anyone will care if my pants don't match my shirt. You want me to wear a purple undershirt too? No, stop, put the bottle of cologne down!

The Spring Equinox.
I reckon that there equinox thingy should be on the poll, considering any religion that celebrates any form of Easter pretty much originated from the Pagan celebration.
I never really got chocolate eggs or anything when I was younger, so this is just another half-term holiday for me.

In Sweden, we have cardboard eggs filled with candy. Basically Easter Piņatas, way more exciting than chocolate bunnies.

I'm not christian so easter has always just been chocolate or holiday to me

It's never really meant much besides, "Time to put on stuffy clothes, and go on an egg hunt, and have dinner with the extended family". Pretty boring all around

Chocolate.

I'm not religious at all but I am a parent so Easter is chocolate day as far as my wife and kids are concerned.

So I renamed it to "get the frack off my eggs you little bastards, go and eat your own" day.

It doesn't really mean more than a holiday for me anymore.

I'm Finnish, and there's the Easter tradition of virpominen, where kids dress up as witches and go around the neighbourhood trading decorated branches of willow for candy.

That was awesome when I was a kid.
Also decorative roosters would lay chocolate eggs during the night.
All that made Easter my second favourite holiday.

My family is not religious, but of course I knew about the religious significance the holiday has for Christians, and it always creeped me out because of all the death (and torture) associated with it.

I know it's about rebirth, but compared to Christmas, the related religious stuff is just so depressing.

I understand and respect what significance Easter has to others, but it has no such significance for me. You may as well ask me to honour President's Day, Ramadan, or National Sinky Day[1]. To me, it's a holiday, and sometimes not even that. My work isn't great with holidays...

[1] A day to worship one's sink, and eat over it. (November 29th)

Egg Hunt and candy. All it is and ever will be.

To me easter is just a convenient spring holiday where i get to eat lots of chocolate without feeling guilty.

Couldn't give a flying fuck about actually celebrating it.

Easter means that i don't have to work on monday and egg prices are ridiculously high.. Well thats about it.

To me it's eithr a day I dread because I have to work it and working Easter Sunday blows, or a day i love because I get a three day weekend.
This year is a three day weekend and Monday is 50% off all Easter candy.

It has great religious significance to me, because when the Mighty Bunny returns, we all shall fall.

That time of year when I finally get enough time to exercise but everyone ruins it for me by giving me a fucktonne of chocolate which I feel obligated to eat.

Free time to go home from college and spend time with my family in the snow.

Also chocolate, and eggs for breakfast every day of the long weekend.

I went for the "religious significance" option in the poll since, I am Christian and y'know, it's important to us and such. Also, I am making an effort to emphasize the importance of today and Sunday since really, Christmas and presents are all well and good, but these days are in remembrance of when he actually sacrificed himself for us, and, I think that's a little more important than his birth. Of course, considering where I am, most of you probably don't really care and stopped reading this post at the word "Christian".

Its like Christmas, but without the presents and tree. I make a feast (usually a turkey or a ham) and gorge on chocolate. Aside from that, not much.

Three guys died and are at the pearly gates of heaven. St. Peter tells them that they can enter the gates if they can answer one simple question, "What does Easter mean to you?" The first man replies, "Oh, that's easy! It's the holiday in November when everyone gets together, eats turkey, and are thankful..." "Wrong!," replies St. Peter, and proceeds to ask the second guy the same question. The second one replies, "Easter is the holiday in December when we put up a nice tree,exchange presents, and celebrate the birth of Jesus." St. Peter looks at the second fellow, shakes his head in disgust, pulls the lever to the trap door, and then peers over his glasses at the third guy and asks, "What does Easter mean to you?" The third man smiles confidently and looks St. Peter in the eyes, "I know what Easter is. Easter is the Christian holiday that coincides with the Jewish celebration of Passover. Jesus and his disciples were eating at the last supper and Jesus was later deceived and turned over to the Romans by one of his disciples. The Romans took him to be crucified and he was stabbed in the side, made to wear a crown of thorns, and was hung on a cross with nails through his hands. He was buried in a nearby cave which was sealed off by a large boulder." St. Peter smiles broadly with delight. Then the third man continues, "Every year the boulder is moved aside so that Jesus can come out...and, if he sees his shadow, there will be six more weeks of winter."

Loads of chocolate and a day off work/school. Also, all stores are closed, which is a pain in the ass.

Dont give a fuck about the religious side of things.

Fuck all, really. It's just a brief and mostly insignificant holiday where I get to sit on my Atheist arse eating chocolate for two weeks.

When I was younger (Catholic School for 10 years), it held religious significance.

Now, it means I finally have a day off of work.

For me, Easter is that time of the year when I break out in spots from eating far too much chocolate. Might mix it up this year by consuming far too much alcohol.

This is interesting. Where is Easter an actual holiday off from work/school?

I have lived my whole life in Washington State in the U.S., and I have never had any time off because of Easter. I'm working today (can't you tell?), and I will be at work on Monday.

My son has the week off from school, but it's just Spring Break for him.

Maybe it's just because I live up in the godless Northwest. :-)

So, I'm curious. Is getting time off around Easter mostly a European thing, or are there places in the United States which also treat this as a big deal? (I'm just jealous because I won't get a day off of work until May.)

Dargocitfer:
This is interesting. Where is Easter an actual holiday off from work/school?

I have lived my whole life in Washington State in the U.S., and I have never had any time off because of Easter. I'm working today (can't you tell?), and I will be at work on Monday.

My son has the week off from school, but it's just Spring Break for him.

Maybe it's just because I live up in the godless Northwest. :-)

So, I'm curious. Is getting time off around Easter mostly a European thing, or are there places in the United States which also treat this as a big deal? (I'm just jealous because I won't get a day off of work until May.)

Dunno about the rest of Europe, but kids generally get a couple of weeks off from school at Easter here in England. My sister's been driving me up the bloody wall. My dad got today and yesterday off, and I think he might have next Monday off as well.

Kinder Egg Easter Egg.

It means nothing to me. I actually forgot it was Easter weekend.

Three words: Cadbury Creme Eggs

Extra long weekend, and an unhealthy amount of Påskmust!
Beverage of the Gods!

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked