12.7% (43)
12.7% (43)
Holiday
33.7% (114)
33.7% (114)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: What does Easter mean to you?

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Ugh. Easter means inconvenient opening hours in stores (including none at all!) and more religious blather on the radio.

The time where Christians go out to praise their "Lord" for saving them, then ignore those around them, including possibly their own fellowship that has serious issues, serious stresses, depression, or just feel lost entirely, as well as those with no friends of their own. All while constantly preaching about helping others and sharing in brotherhood.

Oh right, sometimes they'll give food to the homeless for some easy brownie points, because handing out cheap burger king burgers really takes a lot of time and money...

---

Wait... isn't this what they ALWAYS do?

Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter were holidays i used to look forward to when my grandma was still alive. she went all out on the feast (she would actually drive 200 miles round trip to a butcher shop that had the "best ham".)

but since her passing 6 years ago none of my family gets together anymore.

so i guess i would say Easter for me is bittersweet. I have fond memories of my grandma, But it reminds me of how much i miss her too.

Cadbury Eggs... soooooooo many Cadbury Eggs.

It occurs to me that non-religious types may frequent these forums more than others.

It means I can do nothing with my life for a couple of weeks ;)

(what I normally do but without the hassle of school)

Oh and chocolate. Mmm.

Torrasque:
When you do vote, please vote on the #1 thing since you might get chocolate as well as zombie jesus blessing you on a holiday.

Religious Significance: Ostara, the Pagan holiday.

Chocolate is nice too.

Also, for the record, I love how the Christians didn't even try with this one. They changed the pronunciation just slightly (Ostara --> Easter) and left in the chickens and rabbits from the pagan holiday. I mean, at least "Christmas" sounds different than Solstice or Saturnalia, even if it has all of the same symbols (there are no pine trees in Jerusalem) and the fact that Jesus was born in the early-middle part of summer.

Candy, påskmust and eggs. That's about it.
I can't believe Sweden is the only country with påsk/julmust.

*drools*

Peanut butter filled Chocolate bunnies!!!!

It doesn't mean anything to me. I'm not religious, I don't work on Sunday, and I don't receive baskets full of chocolate candy. Though I love Cadbury mini eggs. I used to have a nice dinner with my family when I still lived in Pennsylvania, but now I'm alone in Texas v:

Bara_no_Hime:

Torrasque:
When you do vote, please vote on the #1 thing since you might get chocolate as well as zombie jesus blessing you on a holiday.

Religious Significance: Ostara, the Pagan holiday.

Chocolate is nice too.

Also, for the record, I love how the Christians didn't even try with this one. They changed the pronunciation just slightly (Ostara --> Easter) and left in the chickens and rabbits from the pagan holiday. I mean, at least "Christmas" sounds different than Solstice or Saturnalia, even if it has all of the same symbols (there are no pine trees in Jerusalem) and the fact that Jesus was born in the early-middle part of summer.

As interesting of a topic, "what are all the things that Christianity has stolen from other religions and faiths?" would be, I don't think there enough flame shields in the world to keep it in the domain of "a calm discussion".

Some day maybe.

DeltaEdge:
Then the third man continues, "Every year the boulder is moved aside so that Jesus can come out...and, if he sees his shadow, there will be six more weeks of winter."

LOLOLOL. Oh man, that was great xD

Dargocitfer:
This is interesting. Where is Easter an actual holiday off from work/school?

I have lived my whole life in Washington State in the U.S., and I have never had any time off because of Easter. I'm working today (can't you tell?), and I will be at work on Monday.

My son has the week off from school, but it's just Spring Break for him.

Maybe it's just because I live up in the godless Northwest. :-)

So, I'm curious. Is getting time off around Easter mostly a European thing, or are there places in the United States which also treat this as a big deal? (I'm just jealous because I won't get a day off of work until May.)

Most schools here in Alberta are closed today and monday for Easter. Hell, even my University and the University of Calgary are closed for the day, and they are not religious focussed at all. Spring break could just be a "we don't really care about Easter, but we'll give these kids a long holiday so they don't get jelly of their Christian friends that do get a holiday".

Zombie Jesus. It's always been about Zombie Jesus.

DanielBrown:
Candy, påskmust and eggs. That's about it.
I can't believe Sweden is the only country with påsk/julmust.

*drools*

Glad to be in the US of A where you can by anything. From Pakmust to Branston Pickle to Dried squid all down at the flea market.

I love this damn country....

Hooray for a holiday where a anthropomorphic rabbit breaks into people's houses and defecates in straw baskets for the kids next morning... and that zombie lich king called "Jesus."

Avoiding the people in the street trying to show me the "true path to god" and then following me around for the next 5 minutes trying to convince me to join them for a meeting with "others who have strayed".

No thanks gents, I just want to get myself a few pints and watch liverpool get hammered...........again.

all it means to me anymore is

candycandycandycandy
candycandycandycandy
candycandycandycandy
candycandycandycandy
candycandycandycandy
candycandycandycandy
candycandycandycandy
candycandycandycandy

theSteamSupported:
In Sweden, we have cardboard eggs filled with candy. Basically Easter Piñatas, way more exciting than chocolate bunnies.

Wasn't this about jesus somehow? OH WAIT! We're swedish and we don't care about religion. NOW WHERE'S MY FUCKING CANDEH!... And no Easter Hags came by us this year, wich is a victory in itself. Damn kids with silly outfits and crappy paintings of fucking chickens trying to get my candy.... IT'S MY CANDY YOU LITTLE SHITS! AM-NAM-NAM-NAM. :3

Silly rage aside. Easter means little to nothing. Our own pagan holidays kick more ass and involve alot more drinking, naked dancing around poles that look like cocks :D

Easter means to me what it means to the person next to me, which could be anyone really. Easter means a great many things to a great many people.

So my answer is all of the above...except the zombie jesus one.

Captcha: we go forwards. That brought a tear to my eye :o

ZOMBIE JESUS DAY IS COMING!! Get those shotguns primed, people. Remember, blowing apart the heads of Zombie Jesus blesses the world with Cadbury Creme Eggs and marshmallow peeps. You know what to do.

Beyond oddly specific time of year candies, it means nothing to me. I have Sundays off anyway, I'm not that into chocolate, and the importance of a religious holiday that most people can't even reasonably attribute most of the common factors of is something I find laughable.

Though, if we're talking about Easter from Neil Gaiman's American Gods, then a great significance. I'd totally hit that.

Jesus Christ rising.
That,and getting annoyed by my mom watching crappy, vaguely holiday-themed romantic dramas on Lifetime or the Hallmark channel on TV all day. Seriously, why do they make these movies? Is there really THAT much demand for it?

Chocolate and a few days off school, all it means to me

Cadbury Creme Eggs & Red Bull!

Carbonyl:
Three words: Cadbury Creme Eggs

Anyone who didn't say this, doesn't know what the holiday is about.

solvemedia: pea brain
weird.

well to me it means an excuse to eat like a slob and get piss ass drunk... now I do those things all the time but on holidays no one yells at me about it

I don't subscribe to the religious aspect of Easter and I don't particularly care about the commercial facet to it. Therefore, it's just time off to me.

2 week holiday from school and lindt chocolate lindor and bunnys
Captcha: make my day, Oh when I get my lindt bunnies my day day will be made!

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked