What does Daft punk mean to you?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

two words...

Good Music!

DANEgerous:
It is a band i rather like and easily the first one that I must say i enjoyed way before they became popular, I was even insult for liking them by a few people that now love which made me all smug in these people's presence.

One my friends used to say to m Daft Punk are so gay, then he played DJ Hero and after he heard Da Funk on there he just kept playing it over and oer, so much it got kind of annoying.

Daft Punk are the only elecronica artist I listen too. I'd give them 8 out of 10

Generally a little bit of disappointment, actually. I love electronic music and generally enjoy what Daft Ounk does, but there's always just something that doesn't grab me about their music despite me actively wanting to like it more than I do.

I like maybe 2 or 3 of their songs.

Don't care about them enough to research more songs.

Sweet Jesus, I love that movie.

Just check my profile picture...

Seriously, they make awesome music, and their Alive Tour was the best gig I've ever seen.

Daft Punk?

Massively, massively overrated (and I'm a big fan of electronic music), naff Euro pop with absolutely nothing to say. Sorry.

GoaThief:
Daft Punk?

Massively, massively overrated (and I'm a big fan of electronic music), naff Euro pop with absolutely nothing to say. Sorry.

What does "nothing to say" actually mean? I always just thought it was an insult punk rock fanatics used against every piece of music that didn't have biting lyrics attacking the government or society, but apparently not.

Daft Punk is one of those bands which normally I wouldn't have an opinion on, I know what kind of music they've made, I'm familiar with some of the major hits, I even kind of enjoy them when they're on the radio. But, because I once knew a guy that that I didn't really like who was a huge Daft Punk fan, I kind of dislike them for that reason.

It's a silly thing, like really silly, I know. But I just can't shake that bad association, and since I don't have any other strong or significant opinion on them, that's the only thing left. Thankfully it's only ever happened with one or two musical acts.

To me, it's an insult. As in "Oy! You daft punk! Get offa my lawn!"

OhJohnNo:

What does "nothing to say" actually mean? I always just thought it was an insult punk rock fanatics used against every piece of music that didn't have biting lyrics attacking the government or society, but apparently not.

I did type out a slightly more eloquent reply but sadly lost it to a power outage; to put it simply they know their market and rinsed it dry. When your music is pretty much devoid of emotion and based totally around a repetitive hook with no technical prowess on display, it needs to do something more than be nondescript pop . Avril Lavigne does a lot better in this sense, even if it's teenage love or whatever. In fact, I find her songs less grating after a minute or two's listening on the radio than Daft Punk's.

Of course my ears and mind could be assaulted with far worse than Daft Punk, but their outstanding success isn't really justified at all.

Do i like Daft Punk?
letīs just say i know the lyrics of Technologic....

Nothing at all. Not a fan, nor do I dislike them.

This video is sexy in a weird kind of way though.

GoaThief:

OhJohnNo:

I did type out a slightly more eloquent reply but sadly lost it to a power outage; to put it simply they know their market and rinsed it dry. When your music is pretty much devoid of emotion and based totally around a repetitive hook with no technical prowess on display, it needs to do something more than be nondescript pop . Avril Lavigne does a lot better in this sense, even if it's teenage love or whatever. In fact, I find her songs less grating after a minute or two's listening on the radio than Daft Punk's.

Of course my ears and mind could be assaulted with far worse than Daft Punk, but their outstanding success isn't really justified at all.

To you maybe, but to me they earned every bit of it :)

So you dont like them, fair enough.

GundamSentinel:
Just check my profile picture...

Seriously, they make awesome music, and their Alive Tour was the best gig I've ever seen.

You went to one? Damn you :P

It did look quite good from the videos. Ah well, maybe they'll do another one some day.

I think of some kinda crappy music. It's really not my cup of tea, but then again, I hate the entire genre and techno too, so they never had a chance.

daveman247:

Why/how?

Indeed, we were asked of our opinions and I gave mine! :)

I've given Daft Punk a fair shake, and while I can respect what they did to a degree to help revitalize a dying sound so many years back, I don't see them as the be-all end-all of electronic music, worthy of the heaps of praise lofted onto their shoulders by so many. There's other producers that do the same thing they do (you know what I mean), arguably do it better, and have been more productive doing it over the course of their careers, and aren't afraid to actually tour more often than once a decade.

GoaThief:

to put it simply they know their market and rinsed it dry. When your music is pretty much devoid of emotion and based totally around a repetitive hook with no technical prowess on display, it needs to do something more than be nondescript pop

I feel this comment quite a bit, it pretty much sums up what I feel about Daft Punk's music as well. However, I don't necessarily think they're bad; they're merely good, and not much more than that.

Boring repetitive electronic music. They have a few good songs, but even those are nothing I would go out of my way to listen to. They make good background music, that's about all I can really say about them.

GoaThief:

daveman247:

Why/how?

Indeed, we were asked of our opinions and I gave mine! :)

Uhhh,thats a little hard to put into words. I just like the music man :) Good beat, repetative yet doesnt get boring. I like the disco- type vibe they have in some songs.

Plus those helmets are just damn cool looking. I also like the whole "anonymity" thing they have with the helmets. Put the helmet on, may get recognised. Leave it off just another regular guy in the street.

Antitonic:
Unlikeable noise. It's just not my cup of tea. I watched Tron: Legacy wondering why people thought the soundtrack was so good.

But, different strokes for different folks, I guess.

pretty much this. I have no use for anything Daft Punk has put out. That doesn't mean I'm going to give someone else crap because they like it.

I think Daft Punk is likely one of those love it or hate it types, but meh... I could be wrong.

unoleian:
There's other producers that do the same thing they do (you know what I mean), arguably do it better, and have been more productive doing it over the course of their careers, and aren't afraid to actually tour more often than once a decade.

Who is better? Not being aggressive, generally interested :)

I know there is deadmau5, but who else?

*glances into the thread* has the answer to what the heck is daft punk

Very much the mid-late 90's 'Skrillex' to French House / Techno, as Skrillex is to dubstep.

Neither are truly BAD, but both lean more on popular marketing than musicianship and hang their success on a few combinations of reliably employed production gimmicks instead of really pushing what can be done with the technology.

Then again, what can one expect, really? In both cases we're talking highly commercial dance party music. They deliver what people pay for consistently and stick to what works. There may be 'better', but there's definitely worse.

When I think of Daft Punk, I think of music. Never knew people thought so highly of them.

For me it was the rush of hearing the Tron theme for the first time! Annie Mac on radio 1 played Derazzed first on one show (which I missed) and then a week later she played the End Credits theme. I remember thinking it was just pure awesome! Better than all their other albums...

It was so good in fact Annie played it twice in a row, and then again 20 mins later to close out her show... then Pete Tong on his show (another 20 mins later) played it a 4th time! Yep, radio 1 played it 4 times in an hour! It was epic!

I also think of driving through the country lanes in the summer, windows down, with Aerodynamic blasting...! Awesome!

awesome music,Interstella 5555,the guys that did the music for Tron Legacy and the duo,s who,s song got mutilated by Kanye West.

daveman247:

Who is better? Not being aggressive, generally interested :)

I know there is deadmau5, but who else?

Granted, this is all very subjective, but, to join deadmau5 on that list above, I'd submit, for your consideration: Justice, The Crystal Method, The Chemical Brothers, for starters, and those are the famous ones. Not all French House, obviously, but similar performance needs in queuing samples and running controllers, but personally better music to my ears, with a greater range of sound and more interesting sets in general.

I love Daft Punk. I have at least 4 of their albums on my media library (including a live album and a Best Of album.)

I think of Revolution 909.

The first Daft Punk track I ever heard, and I've been in love with them ever since.

unoleian:
snip

haha i know its subjective, just wanted to see if you could point me in a direction of other artists :)

Chemical bro's are great, agreed. Never could get into justice though. Been meaning to look into crystal method but forgot. So thanks for reminding me :)

While not 'my music', I certainly think they are influential in a good way.

Hate their style of music. I don't like anything that sounds like a nes that is glitching all the time. Pretty much not a fan of any music that has to survive with a gimmick. People want to dance to it and jog with it in their Ipod, so be it. of course don't get pissed that I made fun of them. Whenever a music thread pops(I use the word music here with a grain of salt) people get pissed. Don't want people to state their opinion, don't make a thread like this. of course I just don't like this wave of shit that is Techno and Dubstep, every other thing under the sun. Not a fan of how high it is flying right now, it's always been popular, i don't know.

Shawn MacDonald:
Hate their style of music. I don't like anything that sounds like a nes that is glitching all the time.

Thats a very general view of electronic music :/ Thats like calling all music with a guitar in it rock.

You can state your opinion without making fun of others. Maybe thats why people get annoyed?

They have a couple OK tracks...but overall I'm not that into them so saying Daft Punk means very little to me.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked