If you could have only one drug.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Hiya escapists.

What if you could use one, but only one, drug for the rest of your life and you got to choose which one it should be.
Which drug would you choose?

You get to choose any drug. It doesn't need to be legal, and if it's illegal your choice makes it legal. But be aware that the definition of drug used is very broad.
Things like caffeine count for example. So would you be able to handle life without your daily cup? It's sort of hard to decide what should be counted as a drug and what shouldn't, but sugar doesn't count in this case.

You can only have one drug for the rest of your life. Which?
Would your answer change if you were making the decision for all of humanity?

Other drugs will still be available for medical purposes if they're required, so don't worry about that when making your choice.

Oh, and the staff doesn't want us to condone illegal drugs, so don't do that, okay?
Keep it in the hypothetical if your choice happens to be illegal.

I should specify that the supply of your drug of choice would be absolutely clean and prime quality.
I don't want concerns such as quality to get in the way of making a proper judgement.

Wow, this post was hard to phrase properly. I've been feeling a bit weird lately, so I'm sorry if my writing is poor today.

If sugar doesn't count, and medical-related drugs are still okay, I'd pick caffeine. Only because I'm not sure what else qualifies, and caffeine's about as illegal as I roll.

Change the answer for humanity? Nah, still caffeine.

Antitonic:
If sugar doesn't count, and medical-related drugs are still okay, I'd pick caffeine. Only because I'm not sure what else qualifies, and caffiene's about as illegal as I roll.

Change the answer for humanity? Nah, still caffeine.

Pretty much everything else counts.
e.g. alcohol.
I just mentioned caffeine as an example of a drug that's pretty close to the minimum amount of effect that's required for a substance to be called a drug in this context.

I'm tempted to say caffeine myself seeing how I love my daily cup'o at lunch. However, cannabis sounds like it'd be nice to have as a recreational drug, recreation being a quality caffeine lacks.

I hear that caffeine in large quantities can have psychedelic effects though.

Edit: Fuck, I just realized it's no longer March.

Nicotine...

I could live without a coffee, I could live without a beer....

Wake me up without a cigarette and be prepared to run for I shall show you wrath.

Jonluw:

It's just highly unpleasant.

Baneat:

Jonluw:

It's just highly unpleasant.

I'm not talking about "drinking 10 cups of coffee" quantities here.
I'm talking about ingesting pure caffeine.

I do take my knowledge on the field from a random youtube video I stumbled over though.

In cases of much larger overdoses, mania, depression, lapses in judgment, disorientation, disinhibition, delusions, hallucinations, or psychosis may occur, and rhabdomyolysis (breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue) can be provoked.
-wikipedia

It sounds like ingesting those quantities has quite the uncomfortable side effects.

Caffeine is a wonderful drug. It is also the only one I use anyway other than medicine when it is needed (which I assume we aren't counting.)

Aspirin

A generic almost universally effective painkiller that has other health benefits is tough to beat.

I for one can live without caffeine, and most people who think they can't need to step down off of it for their own good anyways.

Tempted to say nicotine but I have been struggling to quit since Christmas so I dunno... I guess if I absolutely could not have it that would be a good thing. Then I could finally manage to quit smoking once and for all.

I honestly do not know. I dont drink anymore since its no longer fun, I dont smoke weed and I havent tried many other drugs. Maybe ecstasy? Never had it but it sounds like a bunch of fun with a relatively low risk factor. (Apparently you just need to remember to drink enough water and you are set.)

Heronblade:
Aspirin

A generic almost universally effective painkiller that has other health benefits is tough to beat.

I for one can live without caffeine, and most people who think they can't need to step down off of it for their own good anyways.

I think Aspirin falls under the medical side of things which are an exception, according to the OP. If they were not I would definitely pick some drug that does more to help you get through a cold than get you high.

First off: CAFFEEEEIIINNNEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Having gotten that out of my system, LSD would be a close second. It also makes you hyper for about 6 hours, which is even more than caffeine will get you. It's just, you know, the bits where you drown in an endless, cold, black ocean kind of offset the practical benefits.

Jonluw:

Not to my knowledge. Mind, I used to drink two entire machines full (12 cups) daily and would get severely sick every day. You get light-headed, yes, but not really psychedelic. Some people might not be able to tell the difference, though. I cut down on my caffeine intake when I looked up the symptoms of a caffeine overdose and realized I had everything aside from "acute cardiac arrest" on a daily basis. Scary shit, yo.

Well, if I'm allowed medicinal things (and I'm presuming hormone replacement therapy counts as "medicinal"), then caffiene I guess. I don't drink, smoke or do any other drugs, Hell, I don't even like tea or coffee. But I'm a fan of cola, which has caffeine.

LSD all the way, as long as im not on it permanently i would be a happy man...or weed..but LSD really is a magical drug.

I'll go with love.

Goodbye Nicotine! I guess I would give up drinking too if it meant humanity would stop having giant beer-fueled riots every decade or so.

Caffeine I guess. I actually don't like caffeine or coffee but it does give my pop that little bit of kick...

So yeah, I go with it because there really isn't another drug I see in my life that isn't medicinal or alcohol and I can give up alcohol for the human race. Besides... Certain people get very scary without that morning coffee and it is a big part of the economy up here.

Well, it depends on what counts or not. I'd avoid the question entirely if medicinal drugs weren't allowed at all, as I would probably die without them.

I wouldn't choose caffeine as it doesn't affect me, and if I were to choose an illigal drug I'd either go with a hallucinagin. Those always interested me even though I'm a straight edge. *shrug*

I would pick either terbutaline sulfate this is the drug found in my inhalers (asthma sufferer) or a general antibiotic of some sort.

Rawne1980:
Nicotine...

I could live without a coffee, I could live without a beer....

Wake me up without a cigarette and be prepared to run for I shall show you wrath.

T'would seem we are on opposite sides of the spectrum.

Tylenol FOREVER

Although I really mean acetaminophen, people picking things that aren't medicinal will have a fun time with illness.

Perhaps this is my pick since I had chronic migraines as a kid, so I know the value of painkillers.

Edit: Penicilline for the planet, although idk if that counts as a drug...

Penicillin

Not that I have anything that needs curing right now... But, I used to get real bad Strep Throat as a kid.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Heronblade:
Aspirin

I think Aspirin falls under the medical side of things which are an exception, according to the OP. If they were not I would definitely pick some drug that does more to help you get through a cold than get you high.

I took his comment on medical drugs to mean anything actually required for a serious medical issue is provided, and not every drug that has a medicinal effect (since by definition they all do, just not necessarily a positive one)

As for colds, I have taken cold medicine twice in my life, on both occasions the medicine in question was less effective than my usual treatment of simply keeping warm and having a few bowls of spicy soup.

Adrenaline.
The effects are awesome (and mostly positive) and you don't have to spend money on it.

For me: Tetrahydrocannabinol - Condoned in my country ;)

For the world: ditto - Tho legal issues will arise ;)

Can I say omni-gel?
Caffeine, alcohol, THC, and all that stuff are fun but not very helpful when going up against Reapers or if I get sit.

Nightmonger:
I would pick either terbutaline sulfate this is the drug found in my inhalers (asthma sufferer) or a general antibiotic of some sort.

Those are both medicinal, so unless you want them only to get high you'd be allowed to have them anyways.
i.e. I want the drug you choose to be one that's for enjoyment only.

SwimmingRock:
First off: CAFFEEEEIIINNNEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Having gotten that out of my system, LSD would be a close second. It also makes you hyper for about 6 hours, which is even more than caffeine will get you. It's just, you know, the bits where you drown in an endless, cold, black ocean kind of offset the practical benefits.

Ah, LSD. I'd almost forgotten about that. I hear it's actually one of the safest drugs out there if it's good.
I guess I should specify that the supply of your drug of choice would be absolutely clean and prime quality.
I don't want concerns such as quality to get in the way of making a proper judgement.

I haven't tried LSD though, so it's hard to commit to a lifetime with the stuff without knowing its effects intimately.

I guess a lot of it comes down to whether the occurence of "bad trips" is due to poor quality in the drug or if it's just an inherent thing that you can't get around.

Jonluw:

Not to my knowledge.

Refer to post #6.
I think I heard somewhere that some indigenous tribes have been using extremely concentrated caffeine for ritual purposes, and wikipedia lists hallucinations as one of the effects of overdose.
I don't have any of this backed up though, so take it with a pinch of salt.

So if we can't choose illegal drugs and medicinal ones are already included we are left with alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine?

Pretty boring but caffeine wins out of those three for me.

Well, at first I was going to say weed (since it's almost legal in the U.S. once people pull their heads out of their asses) but then I gave a think.

I'd have to go with caffeine as well. It's tastey and more fun. Sitting on the couch giggling can be entertaining once in a while, but I prefer to be energetic.

Jonluw:

i.e. I want the drug you choose to be one that's for enjoyment only.

I see

In that case, caffeine, its the only thing in that category weak enough to slip by my personal objections. I abhor and despise recreational drug use. Even if the drug in question is perfectly safe (something that even cannabis cannot entirely claim, although it is far better than some others), there is never any excuse for deliberately screwing with your mind for the fun of it.

you had to include caffiene...you just had to do it.. i was gonna say something else but NOOOOO ya had to mention caffiene is a drug....thats the one.. I cant live without my soda

Jonluw:

Ah, LSD. I'd almost forgotten about that. I hear it's actually one of the safest drugs out there if it's good.
I guess I should specify that the supply of your drug of choice would be absolutely clean and prime quality.

I haven't tried LSD though, so it's hard to commit to a lifetime with the stuff without knowing its effects intimately.

I guess a lot of it comes down to whether the occurence of "bad trips" is due to poor quality in the drug or if it's just an inherent thing that you can't get around.

No, drowning in an endless, cold, black ocean was not a bad trip. It was what happened when I drank cola the first time I took acid. It only lasted for about 3 seconds and was more interesting than bad. I'm just saying that LSD works as a drug to keep you awake and active, but that the occasional bit of confusion might impede your daily functioning more than caffeines negative effects. That's why I made LSD my second choice.

And yes, LSD is quite safe. Neither physically nor mentally addictive and not medically harmful. It's safer than any legal drug (including weed, if that fits your countrys definition of legal). For the life of me, I can't understand why it's illegal at all. I assume paranoia and the all-encompassing fear of old voters led to it being outlawed, but I'm not sure why that still holds up.

The White stuff.

Not Milk.

Cocaine.

My poor nicotine ;_; farewell, brother.

madwarper:
Penicillin

MrLumber:
people picking things that aren't medicinal will have a fun time with illness.

Refer to the OP.
Drugs that are needed for medical purposes will still be available for those.

Heronblade:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Heronblade:
Aspirin

I took his comment on medical drugs to mean anything actually required for a serious medical issue is provided, and not every drug that has a medicinal effect (since by definition they all do, just not necessarily a positive one)

Oooh, that's a tough one.
I don't know whether to include over the counter moderate painkillers in the 'medicinal' bunch or not.
I'm going to say that a drug which's main or only effect is to numb pain/sensation without distorting other senses counts as drugs that will be available to you no matter what.
The reason for this is that my reason for making the thread in the first place was to see what drugs people would use for recreational purposes if they could have a free pick.

GoaThief:
So if we can't choose illegal drugs and medicinal ones are already included we are left with alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine?

Pretty boring but caffeine wins out of those three for me.

Oh, but you can chose illegal drugs!
I was just asking that you do not condone them in a way that will offend the mods.
i.e. You can say "If I could have any drug I wanted without legal repercussions, I'd choose heroin".
But you can't say "Damn guys, you should all try heroin. It feels awesome, and it's even fairly easy to get away with. I promise."

Alcohol.

Without it I am nothing...

Caffeine. So I guess I'm buying the sodas, guys, for being so late to the party.

If it had to be illegal, then one of those pills from that movie about the dude who could think real fast. Can never remember its name, strangely. All I know is that it starts with a I. Impossible maybe? Note that I said ONE and would prefer to not know who gave it to me so that I can't go back for a fix, and as such don't get any health damage.

LSD, I suppose. Or cannabis. Or MDMA. This is too difficult. Properly regulated, they would all make the world a better place. Which is why they are illegal.

Hypothetically, if weed was legal, and I was allowed to pick it.. Yeah, then that.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked