Fellow Americans, Which state do you think is the best/worst?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I feel that Michigan is the worst state in our union. That is not to say it is a "bad" state, but given it's economic situation, it gets cold as balls up there, and the education seems to be sub-par, it is not a place I enjoy visiting or would want to live.

For the best state, well Hawaii would be the easy answer to me. It seems like a great place to go on vacation, and also a great place to live. Of course it is expensive as balls, but that doesn't bother me too much.

There are no "rules", you don't have to prove your opinion with silly things like facts and research, for example I think the education in Michigan is sub-par, but I don't actually know the situation with Hawaii, it's education may be the worst in the country. However, what I do know about Hawaii makes me like the most.

Any non Americans, feel free to throw your opinion in the ring, either about the US States, or areas in your own country/union.

Oh and you should probably mention where you, yourself, are from. I am from northern Kentucky. Probably the worst state in some people's opinion.

Worst: Utah. Need I say more?

Best: Hmmm, I wanna say Texas because I'm from there. It certainly brings a lot to the table, what with a ton of fortune 500 companies, number 1 in wind energy, and Red vs Blue... still, it is pretty warm down there. Maybe Connecticut. It seems like a nice place to live, and I don't think I've ever heard any complaints about it unless all the rich people in America live there. Which isn't really a complaint.

New Jersey is obviously the best state it full of some of the nicest people on the planet... and if anyone says different we'll break your fucking arms and legs and throw you in the Hudson river

Liquidacid23:
New Jersey is obviously the best state it full of some of the nicest people on the planet... and if anyone says different we'll break your fucking arms and legs and throw you in the Hudson river

A-ha! Good thing I'm a quadriplegic with incredible buoyancy! Jersey sucks! What now, suckah?!

Jack the Potato:

Liquidacid23:

A-ha! Good thing I'm a quadriplegic with incredible buoyancy! Jersey sucks! What now, suckah?!

that's why we tie cement blocks to you halfy :D

Liquidacid23:

Jack the Potato:

Liquidacid23:

Perhaps, but you didn't count on the fact that I butter myself twice a day! Your ropes will just slide right off! Also, I'm apparently a VERY skilled quadriplegic!

Jack the Potato:

Liquidacid23:

Jack the Potato:

Perhaps, but you didn't count on the fact that I butter myself twice a day! Your ropes will just slide right off! Also, I'm apparently a VERY skilled quadriplegic!

you butter yourself? weirdo... how do you spread the butter on your backside with no arms or legs?

But no matter if you float or sink you'll still die eventually... you'd be between NJ and NY so if anyone sees you they will just laugh and maybe throw rocks :)

Don't think we do have a 'best' or 'worst' state. Though, it's clear that New Jersey is the butt of the American joke.

I can see where this is going.

"MY STATE IS THE BEST"

"NU-UH, MY STATE IS THE BEST!"

I think people will generally go for where they came from/live/lived previously or a great place they went on holiday....

I will contradict said previous post and say that Arizona (my beloved home state) is easily the worst in the Union, bar none. Sweeping cuts to education, poor infrastructure, a Sheriff that let 200 sexual assault crimes go uninvestigated but makes damn sure a Panda Express is clear of illegal employees, miserable heat. Oh and it's such a tip of the iceberg when you also have no jobs, a fairly large group of assholes of all races and the birthplace of University of Phoenix, the godfather of scam online degrees (actually they're not as bad as most).

Also the Cardinals suck.

Luke Gomez:
snip

I change my worst from Michigan to Arizona, damn you are persuasive.

I could probably make the case that Sheriff Joe Arapaio alone is the reason our state is the worst. I won't even name the pink underwear he makes inmates wear or the building of tent city that has led to deaths from heat exhaustion, or even his policies that defined SB1070 because there are plenty that are willing to defend those. No, I could also name his political bullying of journalist that investigate his offices operations or anyone that has ever tried to run against him. I could also name how he's now officially joined the Birther cause.

Remember that before that, the most famous thing that happened in Arizona was that Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday killed some drunk cowboys.

To be fair, I still think John McCain's an alright guy.

As someone from the UK and has never been to the US I'll say the worst is Maine because Stephen King. I would say the best is Texas because of Rooster Teeth, bowling for soup etc. but I just remembered Hawaii.

Jack the Potato:
Worst: Utah. Need I say more?

Best: Hmmm, I wanna say Texas because I'm from there. It certainly brings a lot to the table, what with a ton of fortune 500 companies, number 1 in wind energy, and Red vs Blue... still, it is pretty warm down there. Maybe Connecticut. It seems like a nice place to live, and I don't think I've ever heard any complaints about it unless all the rich people in America live there. Which isn't really a complaint.

Apparently Utah drivers are the worst in the whole country. I hear people coming from CA complaining about how braindead our drivers are all the time.

Worst: Maryland

Best: West Virgina, went there for mygrandmas funeral and it was beautiful.

RaikuFA:

I say Maryland is the best! It's the Richest State in the union! As well as one of the most Liberal (Which I would assume most of you would think is a positive).

The worst, is Mississippi. Poor, Fat, and Stupid all wrapped up into one in that state.

Best would be either Montana, Utah, or New Mexico.

Worst would have to be a tie between Arizona and Mississippi.

I'm tossing my vote to either something remote like Montana, or something in the realm of Georgia or Alabama...tough call.

I'll say..
I'm a huge fan of Mass. I've spent my college years there, and I rather like it.
For worst, I think I'll go Alabama. Honestly, no idea why, the word just makes me think "Hate"

Virginia is sort of on the razors edge with this. It has beautiful landscapes and wonderful places to visit, but the down side is that I live here.

Best: Rural parts of Arizona, the cities suck. But ALL Cities suck... Low crime rate, loose gun laws, and no one really gives a fuck around here what your political stance is, just so long as you can pull your own weight, it's all good.

Worst: California/New York.

California because the crime is SO bad, some motorcycle police carry Assault Rifles on their bikes, shit economy, and low living conditions.

New York because banning loaded words? Seriously? God damn...

Mr.Mattress:

RaikuFA:

I say Maryland is the best! It's the Richest State in the union! As well as one of the most Liberal (Which I would assume most of you would think is a positive).

The worst, is Mississippi. Poor, Fat, and Stupid all wrapped up into one in that state.

I grew up there and hated it. New Jersey(my current residence) is a lot better.

Actually, Hawaii is one of the worst states to live in. The locals there hate americans from the mainland and will beat the crap out of you if they can get you alone. Prices are crazy, it's much cheaper to eat fast food than healthy. It's too darn hot most of the year, and pleasantly warm for a very short while.

Are there worse states? Sure!

Georgia is an all around miserable state. South Carolina as well. Texas is a lousy place to live, and it's full of texans to boot.

To sum it up, I'm pretty much game for saying any of the hot and humid states are horrible places to live.

Well I cannot really speak to all 50 but out of where ive lbeen Id say West Virginia or Colorado because both give you ample opportunity to be away from all the things that make the states suck, People. Buuut, both still retain a degree of civilization.

To me anything south of Virginia is entirely too hot, though the coastal winters in VA can be nice.

One place I absolutely hate is Kentucky. Only positive thing I can say about KY is that most of its development is newer, and thus seems nicer, when you can find a town.

Indiana is terribly tedious to drive thru, But then again so are all the plains states.

Northern Ohio is ok, but southern Ohio sucks.

Arizona is so hot people willingly die standing up for fear of touching blacktop

Georgia, North, South Carolina... Where its not the hate, its the stupidity.... well that and the heat.

In short, If it dont have mountains and pine trees, but within 30 min of a place to buy whatever I might need, I have no interest in it personally.

I've lived in Maryland almost all my life and I can't stand the place. DC isn't much better to be honest but that one doesn't count. I'm not sure about the rest of the state but Montgomery County has shitty roads, no billboards, no Sonic (although it's advertised constantly), the only Wal*Mart is worse than the 2 local K-Marts and, the local indie-games retailer is a freaking pirate ($75 for an NES?! Screw you!).

I love Georgia though. Great food-culture, play-n-trade, great good-mall to bad-mall ratio, Play-n-Trade...my view is a bit biased though...GF lives there and I will be soon.

madwarper:
Don't think we do have a 'best' or 'worst' state. Though, it's clear that New Jersey is the butt of the American joke.

That joke should be for an Easterly Breeze. A Westerly breeze would blow from Ohio to New Jersey.

Worst: Illonois, because it's illinois and there is no legal handgun carry.

Best: NY because of the Adirondack park.

RicoGrey:
I feel that Michigan is the worst state in our union. That is not to say it is a "bad" state, but given it's economic situation, it gets cold as balls up there, and the education seems to be sub-par, it is not a place I enjoy visiting or would want to live.

But... Detroit is there, and they want to crowd-source a Robocop Statue. That alone makes it better than Arizona.
As for best, Wisconsin. D&D, Gencon, etc. started here. UW Madison is unranked on the list of party schools, with an annotation indicating that they are unranked because professionals have no right competing against amateurs. And, it's cold enough that we don't have many scary bugs. No black widows or killer bees up here. Also, bratwurst, cheese and beer, those are kinda our schtick.

After a bit of contemplation, I'd say that the worst state would be Mississippi.

I don't know if I can give a real answer for best, because I feel tempted to say my own state, Colorado.

I'm from the UK, but the state that seems the worst to me is Mississippi

People generally like what they're familiar with/accustomed to so of course a lot of people are either going to pick their home state or where they are currently situated. Well, anything I have to say about the US is going to be purely conjecture and entail offensive stereotypes, so I apologise in advance but Texas, Alabama or Nebraska or any of those desolate, arid climate, Deep-South, Bible-Belt states sound like pretty horrible places to live. Barring the unbearably hot weather; the liberal haven of California sounds like it might be a nice, if a bit pretentious place to be in, particularly to settle in one of the less congested countryside areas. And Alaska, while not having a particularly favourable political climate or level of evangelics for my liking would seem like a really nice place if I ever want to get away from people and shut myself off from civilisation to enjoy the beautiful scenery and isolation. :3 For the UK, somewhere like Salford just sounds like an absolute delapidated, crime ridden, shithole. Whereas despite knowing I'll sound up my own arse, I have to say somwhere like Somerset appeals most to me, then again it's not just a homegrown pride thing (there are plenty of twats over here) or whatever, if I found a much nicer area with the tranquil countryside yet with larger urban areas within a reasonable enough distance I'd hop off before you can say 'I got a brand new combine harvester.' :P Really, I think it just comes down to your personal preferences, but it's also readily apparent that if you live somewhere long enough it becomes a lot easier to deal with the kind of things people looking from the outset might see as being unpalatable.

My favorite states would have to be Texas (especially the hill country), Montana, and Utah. What can I say, I love the wide outdoors.

The worst would have to Illinois and California. I have had the worst experiences in those states and I swore to myself I will never EVER go back again. If there is another family reunion I will stand in Missouri and yell (not that that changes much since my great-aunts/Uncles live about 10 feet across the border).

Edit: wow, there is a lot of hate for Mississippi. Oh well.

Best: Well, I'm biased but I think Georgia is the best. It has variety in it's Geography over a small area, the people are polite(at least outside Atlanta and Macon), and its generally friendly to my hobbies(in that it has plenty of air ports and loose gun laws.....god that sounds bad together) Not counting my own state I would go with South Carolina, for similar reasons, that and it has the college I want to attend.(The citadel for any curious). I also really enjoyed Alaska while I was there.

Worst: Alabama. All the worst parts of the south concentrated times 1000. I am being quite serious when I say I have never been anywhere in Alabama that I liked with the exception of Huntsville. Its an ugly and stupid state and gives the south a bad reputation.

viranimus:
Well I cannot really speak to all 50 but out of where ive lbeen Id say West Virginia or Colorado because both give you ample opportunity to be away from all the things that make the states suck, People. Buuut, both still retain a degree of civilization.

To me anything south of Virginia is entirely too hot, though the coastal winters in VA can be nice.

One place I absolutely hate is Kentucky. Only positive thing I can say about KY is that most of its development is newer, and thus seems nicer, when you can find a town.

Indiana is terribly tedious to drive thru, But then again so are all the plains states.

Northern Ohio is ok, but southern Ohio sucks.

Arizona is so hot people willingly die standing up for fear of touching blacktop

Georgia, North, South Carolina... Where its not the hate, its the stupidity.... well that and the heat.

In short, If it dont have mountains and pine trees, but within 30 min of a place to buy whatever I might need, I have no interest in it personally.

To be fair, during every season except Summer the south is actually pretty nice. And my friend you haven't seen dumb until you've been to Alabama.

Missouri, Alabama, Arkansas/Texas are the worst.
Missouri, Alabama, Arkansas because of it's Meth problems and crappy educational system.

Texas because of some really bad first impressions my family got back in the early 90's.
Not joking when I say that there were still signs and warnings up in parts of Texas, threatening African Americans if there were caught out past dark.
That, and the farther south you get the more you have to worry about Los Zetas.
In short; the American south is poorly run, humid, and could care less about progress.

So far though, I'd say Pennsylvania/Indiana have been my favorites of all the states I've actually lived in.

I'm not American but I do live there and out of all the states I've been to (Oregon, California, Washington, Nevada and Arizona) I have to say Oregon has the nicest people but California has the best landscapes.

I'm not qualified to say which state is 'best' though ;)

I like how Oklahoma has yet to be mentioned. We've spawned a few annoying things, like parking meters, but as a place to live? Well, hope you're a redneck cause otherwise your in trouble. Unless you're in a big city, which basically means your in OK city or Tulsa.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked