What would it take for Bioware to be forgiven by you?
More DLC for free
3.8% (17)
3.8% (17)
A new ending or least an explination
16.9% (76)
16.9% (76)
I never had an issue with Bioware to this point
25.3% (114)
25.3% (114)
Cut ties with EA
36.6% (165)
36.6% (165)
An apology announcent to the community
4.4% (20)
4.4% (20)
Casey Hudson fired from his position
5.1% (23)
5.1% (23)
Other (please explain)
8% (36)
8% (36)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: What Must Bioware Do?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Caramel Frappe:
What would it take for Bioware to be forgiven by your standards? Sure the majority of people shall still be upset no matter what, but to you alone.. what would make you set aside the bad deals Bioware has made?

I'm not mad at them. I'm disappointed in them. They didn't do anything wrong; they simply failed to live up to expectations.

What would it take for me to continue to perceive them on-par with Blizzard or Valve again? Well, I actually don't have any idea.

An apology for jerking the fanbase around (even if it is 'standard marketing procedure') would be the first step.

The DLC is a very good step, but while it will hopefully satisfy my most poignant complain about ME3 it won't solve other issues.

Free gifts and stuff don't sway my opinion. I could care less if I get another mini-game they were working on as consolidation; I barely have the spare time to play one game, much less two.

Really, the best way they can make it up to me is to do better next time. They should be doubling or tripling their hard work and quality control on their next IP. The Dragon Age setting has never appealed to me in the slightest, so a DA game that would appeal to me would definitely upset its regular fans - so that's out. Maybe a new Mass Effect game set very, very far in the future faced with another threat? I don't know, but whatever it is, it better be good. Damn good.

commit seppuku

FelixG:
Other;

They need to not dumb down their games to appeal to everyone under the damn sun.

Yeah, this is what I think too.

In trying to grab as much of the market as they can they end up putting out less stellar projects than they used to. In trying to please everyone you end up pleasing no one, as they say.

It's OK to specialize in one type of game, and hell there are tons of people out there who still crave pure RPG experiences without needing other stuff mixed in. Look at Skyrim, sure it was streamlined, and it has a more actiony feel to it, but it's still undeniably an RPG, and Bethesda hasn't really done much to drastically change their formula and every one of their new releases are heralded as the second coming.
They could even look at their own, Dragon Age; that was an old school designed RPG and it ended up being a huge hit, whereas the sequel which took more of an action approach didn't fair as well.

Valkaris:
commit seppuku

Forgive me for asking, but what does seppuku mean? I've seen it around, but never understood what it meant so.. just wanted to ask lol.

Also I have the feeling seppuku is Japanese, correct?

DeadXV:
I'd say cutting ties with EA, but the only way I can see them doing that successfully would be for every single Bioware employee to quit there jobs and start up a brand new studio, free of EA.
But I really can't see any of them having the balls to even think about setting something like that up.

Your right the only way they could get away from EA is to wait until their contracts are up and then quit and form their own studio but that typically fails, look at Black Isle/Troika/Obsidian.

Caramel Frappe:

Forgive me for asking, but what does seppuku mean? I've seen it around, but never understood what it meant so.. just wanted to ask lol.

Also I have the feeling seppuku is Japanese, correct?

Ritual suicide.

Seppuku is suicide.

Bioware can continue making games I spend 50+ hours on and find large amounts of enjoyment playing.

Nothing to be forgiven. How about we wait and see what this DLC makes of the ending... and how about this... not be so fugging dramatic about it.

How about this, dismantle the company so the don't make games you enjoy playing at all and they give all that money and resources to people in the world who need food, water and shelter.

Nothing.

Having just finished ME 3 last night I really don't see what the big deal was. I'm perfectly happy with the product even though I don't think it's as well done as ME 1 or 2.

IMO Bioware continues to deliver products that are well worth the money.

They shouldn't do any more than they have. Release the extended content, which is free mind you, then move on to the next project.

Now's not the time to be the crowdpleaser. This has only gone on for this long because Bioware keeps reacting to it. It would have died two weeks after launch if Bioware didn't keep making it news with statements, promises, updates, ect.

From moment one, they should have walked out with their hands up, let the bile and hate roll of their backs, and moved on to their next production.

JediMB:
A new ending. Not an "explanation" or "clarification" or anything like that.

Providing "clarification" and "closure" for an inherently broken ending is like settling for trying to stop a nose bleed when the patient is suffering from a brain tumor.

Yeah, because screw those people who actually liked the ending. I didn't like it, so they don't get to see it! /sarcasm

Honestly, that idea strikes me as unfair to the people who actually liked ending, or those who only wanted more clarification/closure (which I thought were more numerous before this announcement. Funny that). This is probably the best choice they could make, out of all available options.

EDIT: Also, directly changing the ending to something completely different is pretty much unprecedented. All other ending changes amounted to basically retcons. The Fallout 3 thing was a retcon. So was Half Life 2, Neverwinter Nights 2, and the death of Holmes. No one went back to those and directly changed the events of the last 5-10 minutes to something completely different.

There's nothing BioWare can do to appease the extremely loud minority. I say ignore them. They'll shut up eventually . . . I think.

Keep bringing good DLC (multi and single player). It should help get that bad taste out of my mouth after that horrible ending.

The Pinray:
There's nothing BioWare can do to appease the extremely loud minority. I say ignore them. They'll shut up eventually . . . I think.

prolly not but judging by how they were the same way with ME2, DA2 and TOR and it has yet to actually hurt sales in the least ignoring them seems to work just fine

gah fuck a bioware/thinly disguised mass effect 3 thread not in gaming! the infection is spreading......

in all seriousness please stop posting about mass effect 3 and if you really need to beat that dead horse please at least do it in the gaming section

Personally I've no beef with Bioware. While I was disappointed with the ending, I'm not that emotionally attached to games to get upset about it.
I'd love, however, if the ending DLC in summer really fleshed out the ending. I think the whole last mission was a bit of a letdown. I wanted to be fighting alongside all the different races I brought together on the ground, as well as encountering my current and former squaddies in the heat of battle. It ended up feeling rather bland to me. Also some amazing epilogues would be welcome, not just text, VO and a picture but full, lengthy cutscenes. The world of ME is too amazing - it needs to go out with a bang, not a whimper.

I would say 'cut ties with EA' if that were realistically possible.

If it were up to me, EA would have zero business in general.

since I cannot change that, though, I'm going to go ahead and say I'm okay with Bioware right now.

Leave EA and conveniently forget how to do cover-based combat.

Kasurami:
Make the Extended Cut really fucking good. That's about it.

As much as I love Mass Effect 3 the ending hangs over the game, if not the series, like a dark cloud. If they can deliver a finale deserving of the Mass Effect name then all will be good.

This, though my brand loyalty will still have been tarnished forever no matter what they do (doesn't just have to do with ME3's ending). They'll just be one of many developers I consider buying from.

If it cut ties with EA, I will personally clean all ther latrines for a year.

I don't play ME, so I don't have that much of an issue (except for the fact that they aren't Bethesda). However, EA is a cancer, and they should get rid of it now.

Cut ties with EA..

99.99999999999999999999999999998% of the time most of the problems we have with a game published by EA was because it was published by EA. If EA would just keep their claws out of the developers asses and let them actually finish the games BEFORE release. Oh and while they are not sinking their teeth in deep maybe allow the dev's to make the games THEY want and not some rehashed copy/paste sequal of a sequal spray out their corporate asses then we might actually have something worthwile to play.

I'm not gonna lie. I was one of a few thousand people put in a state of unease when I heard that they were acquired by EA. I think if they branch off and become their own company again that while the release schedule will be a bit infrequent, the overall quality will come back.

Or they could just release an HD Jade Empire. They can have a few of my major organs after that.

Make the EC really good.

And if they have so much faith on their endings and on their vision, ffs just do a Q&A over on your own forums, best way to appease the crowd, specially after that "panel" at Pax

Whatever they do, they need to actually listen.

Bioware gets coddled and shielded from criticism because they must be maintained as a bastion of "art" in gaming, neglecting the fact that artists can only improve through criticism. Silencing their critics as trolls and sexists or throwing down PR smokescreens only serves to piss people off and it prevents the core design team from learning from their mistakes.

Mass Effect 3 was a mistake; it happens. It tried too hard to be artsy while simultaneously reaching for a mainstream shooter audience on the third installment. It was a blunder, but it won't kill the company so long as they understand that some of their critics have a valid point.

Bioware cannot afford to plug their ears and go "LALALA, ARTISTIC INTEGRITY, CAN'T HEAR YOU!" Their fanbase is pissed off and they're running out of franchises to milk. When the time comes to take a chance on a new intellectual property, they're going to need the customer base they're currently writing off as entitled brats.

And for the love of God, get a PR team together that knows what they're doing. All this dodging the issue and bickering with the customers is not helping their cause and only further irritates already unhappy customers

Cutting ties with EA would be gold, but I don't see it happening. Ever.

I'll settle with a damn good EC for now.
[I love how you put "fire Casey Hudson." I almost picked that option xD]

Unlike quite a few people, I don't have an issue with the ending of ME3 and I don't think they have to do anything in order to "regain the trust of the community". Still, I don't envy their position; the ideal course of action for the ME3 ending situation would be to officially dismiss the "fans" for taking this far too seriously, but that's not exactly a good PR move. Them giving a few more explanatory scenes for the ending suits me just fine as well, though I would personally like it to be heavily laden with the snark and passive-aggresive meta-comments regarding how the community has acted.

They may have gone a bit too far for the majority of the players with the ending (and stumbled a bit in the execution) by assuming that they're the intellectually inclined crowd who wouldn't have minded such an open-ended conclusion. Unfortunately, it seems they've didn't quite make it accessible or "dumbed-down" enough (not that any of them will admit to that) for them to appreciate it.

---

Nevertheless, they still could make some other improvements to their practices. Strangely enough, these lean towards "cut ties with EA" due to them actually be EA's business practices; specifically, things like day-one DLC, "filler" (aka pointless) DLC, mandatory online multiplayer, rushed/frequent/unnecessary sequels, and obnoxious marketing. EA may have a lot of money to fund their projects, but their policies ultimately seem detrimental compared to the final products. Games which are as complete as possible at release are ideal, and any DLC should be of high quality but not "required" for you to enjoy the game.

Unfortunately, the only real way to that is for Bioware to be disolved and re-established under a new name; EA owns Bioware if I'm not mistaken, so the developper is in a bit of a pickle right there. Abandoning EA would also lead to a huge loss of potential resources, namely funding and marketing (as annoying as EA's marketing can be, it does get games noticed). What I think would be better is for Bioware to convince EA to abandon some of their policies so that they can focus on making higher quality games instead of trying to make a quick buck with volumes of sequels and DLC (particular day-one DLC).

I voted other because I don't really believe that a corporation can or should be forgiven. The history is there and ignoring it or "forgiving it" does nothing but let mistakes be repeated. They can however simply move forward from that point and not make the same mistakes in the future. I would suggest they start by hiring some PR people who actually know how to do PR.

The Abhorrent:
Abandoning EA would also lead to a huge loss of potential resources, namely funding and marketing (as annoying as EA's marketing can be, it does get games noticed).

That's exactly what Dice, OSI, Westwood studios and so forth thought when they signed up with EA. They buy good studios and use their reputations to release a few big games and then they start cutting budgets and relying on name alone to sell, until the developer is nothing more than a husk(oh god mass effect was foreshadowing all along) of their former selves.

Ive been looking at indoctrination theory

holy shit...its more depressing but it actually makes it all makes sense....its comforting in a way

I dont see what the big deal is..if they CAN change the ending why not? I get the feeling nay-sayers dont actually care about "artistic integrity" and are just sick of everyone raging over it...ok ok basless assumption I know

I dont think this new epilouge will be enough..but at least its somthing

BreakfastMan:

JediMB:

Providing "clarification" and "closure" for an inherently broken ending is like settling for trying to stop a nose bleed when the patient is suffering from a brain tumor.

Yeah, because screw those people who actually liked the ending. I didn't like it, so they don't get to see it! /sarcasm

the ending would be in DLC..correct? and I assume optional DLC....

so..EVERYONES HAPPY

but as I said I doubt this new extended cut will really change anything for the better

They need to start making games I actually like again, for one thing. I haven't liked a game of theirs since Origins.

After that, they need to stop their recent business practices. Stop barring people from playing their games for getting banned on forums. Stop making millions of bits of DLC that could easily (or should) have been part of the main game. Hire some damned PR people, because your PR sucks.

I know the community blames all this stuff on EA, but BioWare needs to shoulder its share of the blame. They've become a company I simply cannot get behind anymore.

Vault101:

BreakfastMan:

JediMB:

the ending would be in DLC..correct? and I assume optional DLC....

so..EVERYONES HAPPY

Well... No. No matter what they do, a significant portion of their fan base will be mad at them. Do nothing? Mad. Do what they are doing now? Mad. Add a completely new ending as DLC? Most likely would have to pay for that which would make people mad. Also, people would complain about being to little, to late, why did they not give it to us sooner, why did they not do it in the first place, this ending is still not good enough, etc. Honestly, they are screwed no matter what they do at this point. Besides people are angry with the ending for different reasons, you know...

Bioware doesn't need to do anything; if they want to stop making games I want to buy they have a right to.

What I'd like to see is more companies realizing that making customers like you is more profitable in the long run than scrambling for every penny now. Google is one of the biggest, most successful companies out there, and they've gotten there by not screwing everyone over. Valve makes money hand over fist by selling us things that we like at low prices, and not screwing everyone over (I've spent more money in a single summer sale from Steam than on a decade's worth of full priced games, and every time they give me something for free it makes me more likely to spend more on them).
EA... hasn't figured that out. They forced a rework of ME 2 and 3 to try to squeeze more money out of the shooter market at the expense of the fans of the games, they made ME3 exclusive to Origin (a glitchy, insecure, and clumsy system) instead of allowing it on Steam so they could grab a few more pennies, they let a single exec cut the entire writing staff out and throw out the established canon to slap his own "artistic vision" on the end, they have a long history of overpriced DLC and horrendous anti-piracy measures...
I am unlikely to buy much from Bioware in the future, because ever since they became part of EA they've been adopting the parent company's policy of "money first, games later" instead of creating works of art. And Mass Effect 3 despite all it's problems was still a thing of beauty 90% of the time, but it seems to represent the last of the good things from Bioware. There's no way for them to make a fourth game in the series without it being crap, and I doubt that anything new they begin will be worth buying.

Though I would be willing to pay more than is reasonable for a DLC that put a proper ending on. Throw out the star child, give a wide variety of conclusions for different choices made over the course of three games, put in a fallout-style epilogue for all the loose ends not covered in the primary conclusion...

I have nothing against Bioware, but I ever since the Spore thing I don't buy anything that's published by EA, nothing against Maxis, Bioware or the other guys, but EA as a company sucks and I'm not giving them any money until they stop sucking, it doesn't matter how awesome some games they publish are, I'm just not going to buy it, so really just like any other developer, just cut ties with EA, I'm not going to buy anything published by them.
This is really hard for me to do, because I love Crusader No Remorse and No Regret, but I can't buy them at GOG because they are published by EA, which means I don't get to play them ever again since I lost my old copies, and even if I still had them I wouldn't know how to get them to run, but I have made a decision and I'm sticking to it
BTW, this also means I get no Wing Commander or Ultima, and that Wing Commander IV seems very tempting.

Caramel Frappe:
-OP-

Hi Caramel! For me, it depends on how "Director's Cut" turns out. Regardless, for me to forgive them I'd need for them to clarify the ending (or at worst, change it) in such a way that it removes the massive series of plot holes, inconsistencies, bad writing and bad storytelling.

More free DLC could help heal the wounds, and firing Casey Hudson would be appreciated but not needed. Firing Hudson would be on the cusp of needed if the Penny Arcade forum leak is true (which it almost certainly is)[1]

I have said it before and will say it again - if Bioware continues to bungle this, they have lost me as a continuing customer. If I determine that I'm done with them, I'll link my Xbox profile to this account to prove that I'm no longer involved with any new EA creation. I will still play their games that I've already bought though.

TL;DR Have the ending make sense at no cost. Everything else is just gravy.

[1] you know, the one from a Mas Effect writer that says that Casey Hudson and some other dude wrote the ending together with no oversight

The Abhorrent:
They may have gone a bit too far for the majority of the players with the ending (and stumbled a bit in the execution) by assuming that they're the intellectually inclined crowd who wouldn't have minded such an open-ended conclusion. Unfortunately, it seems they've didn't quite make it accessible or "dumbed-down" enough (not that any of them will admit to that) for them to appreciate it.

Seriously, could you get any more condescending?

I don't wish to brag, but this is relevant: I'm pretty smart. As in, qualify for Mensa smart.
My friends are also smart - some less, some more, but all are very intelligent people.

And we all hate the ending.

We see what they were trying to do. Sadly, they failed. This is in no small part because the ending does not fit with the tone of the rest of the series, and runs counter to countless promises made by Bioware about the game. It was also done in a way that was terrible storytelling for a number of reasons, and contained countless plot holes.

We don't need things "dumbed down" or for something to be not "open ended". As I said, we're smart people. What we do need is to be treated with a modicum of respect, as we're being very civil about the whole situation.[1] Within this work there are serious issues, and if they are not addressed then we will take our business elsewhere.

[1] There are exceptions, but the "loud angry ragers" are the vast minority.

Floppertje:
*snip*

I really love that idea. I'm hoping the galaxy is still... Er, "salvageable" after the ending. I think a game like that could really make for lots of player-directed choices and even multiple endings. I mean, hey, if you're that one person who's going about finding ways to repair the relays, obviously you're in a position of some kind of power, what's your ultimate motive with this power?

OT: Frankly, I dunno. I don't so as much want them to completed get rid of the endings, but adding an extra one or two on would be plenty nice for me.

I have not a single clue as to what BioWare plans to do now outside of possibly making DA3. I'd like to see them work on a new IP. They don't need my "forgiveness", but I'll look into their next project and see if I like what I see. That's about it really.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked