Is tranny a slur word?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Cutting straight to the point, I've noticed a lot of people pointing out hat it is impolite to refer to transexuals/transvestites (I honestly don't know which) as trannies. When was this decided so and why? For all I knew, tranny didn't really have any other conotation other than a diminutive. Also, I rarely even hear the word at all outside of the LGBT community.

It's a bit of a split. The majority on the escapist seem to say it's derogatory though I've seen a few transpeople on the net say it isn't.

Also, "dis gonna be gud!"

EDIT It wasn't gud :(

EDIT2 It could be good!

Because when someone wants to insult trans people, they invariably use tranny, often they use tranny itself as the entire insult. When that happens enough it takes on a negative connotation of its own.
I just think it's innately offensive when you're addressing someone to call them by a descriptor.
it's like 'hey, jew/four-eyes/ginger/blondie/tubby/queen/whatever else'
It does depend on the tone being used, but usually when when you're using a descriptor to address someone, you're not trying to be anywhere in the realm of 'polite'.

It was originally a derogative term used to describe transsexuals/transvestitites, but like with "nigga", many of the targeted group have reclaimed it.

since 'tranny' = shortened form of 'Transmission' when ever i use it.

no

anything can be a slur word is used in the right context and tone

No, it isn't. Every car has a tranny, therefore, the word has a legit use and isn't a slur.

TestECull:
No, it isn't. Every car has a tranny, therefore, the word has a legit use and isn't a slur.

and "faggot" has a legit use as meaning a bundle of something... therefor it isn't a slur!

Depends on the context and tone; if there isn't any spiteful inflection upon the word, I doubt that too many people will get bent out of shape with you for saying it. I think the problem with most people; regardless of whether they initially intended it's use as a pejorative is that they'd apparently rather be seen as a stubborn prick than be willing to succumb to the dreaded political correctness. >.>

Of course it's a slur! Who'd want to related, in any way, to those filthy Trandoshan slavers?

lol, Lil'ceaser captcha thing, I don't even think we have those down here.

Lunar Templar:

no

ninjas. damn.
Ever seen a tranny that weighs less than 50 pounds? I have one in my daily driver.

Fun with slang terms aside... I think tone and context are more important than wordage. Language is more complex than political correctness can account for.
For example, officially in the military "sir" and "ma'am" are terms of respect. In the right tone or context, though, they can be more derogatory than any string of profanity.

Really? I have seen the word a few times and never saw anyone complain about it. Then again, I don't usually meet trannies so I am not sure.

But I think the term is supposed to differentiate them from traps and shemales.

Yes, it is a slur. Duh.

Of course the usual dudebros are already flocking to the thread screaming that it can't be a slur, because they use it, and they don't want people to see them as the kind of people they are.

To be expected.

But I think the term is supposed to differentiate them from traps and shemales.

Shemale. Well, this kinda shows why you think 'tranny' isn't offensive, considering what other words you use. Betrayed by your own language.

political correctness

There's nothing "politically correct" about not using slurs.

By the way, "political correctness" is a term made up by right-wing extremists butthurt that they couldn't treat afroamerican people like garbage without people calling them on it. Hence they made up the phrase, echoing a term of chinese origin. The goal was to pretend that their racist bullshit was somehow not racist bullshit, but instead a BRAVE UPRISING against the HORRIBLE OPPRESSION of people asking them to be decent people. Just so you know what kind of company you have for calling everything you don't understand "politically correct".

Look it up.

I don't use it as a slur, but some people (usually not transsexuals) seem to think it is. Although, whenever I hear "tranny", I tend to think of a transmission (like in a car).

loc978:

Lunar Templar:

no

ninjas. damn.
Ever seen a tranny that weighs less than 50 pounds? I have one in my daily driver.

i didn't know they came that light actually, what do you drive that got one that small?

I swear, I read "tyranny" first.

And honestly, I don't know, heard the word in so many different contexts by now that I can't make up my mind on it.

Liquidacid23:

TestECull:

and "faggot" has a legit use as meaning a bundle of something... therefor it isn't a slur!

Say you call a friend up and offer him $20 in gas to drive you somewhere. His reply? "My tranny's shot, can't do it." You're not going to assume he's making a slur or being a smartass, chances are his transmission is, indeed, shot, incapacitating his car.

Tranny is not a slur. It is commonly used to refer to a common part of the most common machine on this planet. It may be used once to refer to a transexual for every ten times it refers to a gearbox, and of that one time it refers to the former maybe 10% of the time it's meant as an insult.

I believe it's contextual it's how you use and say it more than anything. I've seen way more people get mad at the term then I've seen let it go.

Though the vast majority of the transexual/gendered people I have met are violent and/or drug addicted so I don't think I can fairly judge that community.

Vegosiux:
I swear, I read "tyranny" first.

Thank the space pope I wasn't the only one.

I use "Tranny" for "Tramp" or "Hooker"... Only now do I realize does it is a Slur for "Transexual"... Still, I've been using as a Slur for Hookers, so... whatever...

TestECull:

Liquidacid23:

TestECull:

Say you call a friend up and offer him $20 in gas to drive you somewhere. His reply? "My tranny's shot, can't do it." You're not going to assume he's making a slur or being a smartass, chances are his transmission is, indeed, shot, incapacitating his car.

Tranny is not a slur. It is commonly used to refer to a common part of the most common machine on this planet. It may be used once to refer to a transexual for every ten times it refers to a gearbox, and of that one time it refers to the former maybe 10% of the time it's meant as an insult.

just because it has a non-slur definition and use doesn't negate the fact it also has a use which is a slur... nor does the supposed claim you make about how often the word is used in that non-slur form suddenly make the word it self not a slur on the whole since it can still be used as one... like most other slurs it depends on the context.. a word can both be a slur and a not a slur depending on usage

Lunar Templar:

loc978:

Lunar Templar:

no

ninjas. damn.

i didn't know they came that light actually, what do you drive that got one that small?

A 1974 mini. Technically built by British Layland and wired by Lucas, but I've fixed that. Not a whole lot of original parts left.
...also, less than 50lbs is hyperbole. I've never weighed the thing, but I've lifted it out by hand many times with minimal effort.

loc978:

Lunar Templar:

loc978:
ninjas. damn.

A 1974 mini. Technically built by British Layland and wired by Lucas, but I've fixed that. Not a whole lot of original parts left.
...also, less than 50lbs is hyperbole. I've never weighed the thing, but I've lifted it out by hand many times with minimal effort.

nice
though the car it self ugly in this strange way that makes me want one, kinda like a Kiwi bird o.0

Liquidacid23:

TestECull:

It's also a food, so we can say fun things like, "I swallow faggots whole".

OT: Uh huh.

Lunar Templar:

loc978:

Lunar Templar:

nice
though the car it self ugly in this strange way that makes me want one, kinda like a Kiwi bird o.0

I've always found the look charming... and it's the closest thing you can get to a road-going go-kart in the states without spending tens of thousands on a kit (for the record, I'm about $8,000 into this car including purchase price, and it's exactly where I want it).

*self-imposed off-topic post limit*

Tranny originated as a slur and is still frequently used in the same sense as another rather offensive term, "shemale."

Liquidacid23:

TestECull:

Good sir, I'm quite sure that faggot is a word I use for harley drivers.

Liquidacid23:

TestECull:

Liquidacid23:

just because it has a non-slur definition and use doesn't negate the fact it also has a use which is a slur... nor does the supposed claim you make about how often the word is used in that non-slur form suddenly make the word it self not a slur on the whole since it can still be used as one... like most other slurs it depends on the context.. a word can both be a slur and a not a slur depending on usage

Nigger is a slur. Nigger has no other use except to put black people down, there is no legit definition/use of the word. Tranny is not a slur. Tranny refers to anything that transmits rotational power from a source to a load.

See the difference now? I can't possibly make it any clearer than that. Just because you can use a word as a slur doesn't mean that word is a slur. Chink is another example, while you can use it to be an asshat to asians, you can also use it to refer to a weakness in something. As in, the chink in that tank's armor is the exhaust and cooling vents. It's another one that isn't a slur.

Of course it is every word in the world is a slur, the words "blue" is a slur as I now consider it to have a very negative connotation with horses.

But seriously I have always found the who notion of swear words absurd and it is for the reason above. A slur becomes a slur by people caring way to much about it and becoming insulted if you stop caring is stops being a slur similarly if you care about a word and it insult you it become a slur.

I'll quote George Carlin on this...

George Carlin:
There's a different group to get pissed off at you in this country for everything your not supposed to say. Can't say Nigger, Boogie, Jig, Jigaboo, Skinhead, Moolimoolinyon, Schvatzit, Junglebunny. Greaser, Greaseball, Dago, Guinea, Whop, Ginzo, Kike, Zebe, Heed, Yid, Mocky, Himie, Mick, Donkey, Turkey, Limey, Frog. Zip, Zipperhead, Squarehead, Kraut, Hiney, Jerry, Hun, Slope, Slopehead, Chink, Gook. There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of those words in and of themselves. They're only words. It's the context that counts. It's the user. It's the intention behind the words that makes them good or bad. The words are completely neutral. The words are innocent. I get tired of people talking about bad words and bad language. Bullshit! It's the context that makes them good or bad. The context. That makes them good or bad. For instance, you take the word "Nigger." There is absolutely nothing wrong with the word "Nigger" in and of itself. It's the racist asshole who's using it that you ought to be concerned about. We don't mind when Richard Pryor or Eddie Murphy say it. Why? Because we know they're not racist. They're Niggers! Context. Context. We don't mind their context because we know they're black. Hey, I know I'm whitey, the blue-eyed devil, paddy, o-fay, gray boy, honkey mother-fucker myself. Don't bother my ass. They're only words. You can't be afraid of words that speak the truth, even if it's an unpleasant truth, like the fact that there's a bigot and a racist in every living room on every street corner in this country.

TestECull:

Liquidacid23:

TestECull:

Nigger is a slur. Nigger has no other use except to put black people down, there is no legit definition/use of the word. Tranny is not a slur. Tranny refers to anything that transmits rotational power from a source to a load.

See the difference now? I can't possibly make it any clearer than that. Just because you can use a word as a slur doesn't mean that word is a slur. Chink is another example, while you can use it to be an asshat to asians, you can also use it to refer to a weakness in something. As in, the chink in that tank's armor is the exhaust and cooling vents. It's another one that isn't a slur.

Nigger ONLY has a slur definition... tranny does not... pick up a dictionary sometime and maybe the fact words can have more than one meaning will be clear to you

I never said it was ALWAYS a slur... because it isn't... however you said it ISN't a slur at all which is incorrect... it CAN BE a slur and it can not be.. you seem to think just because there is the possibility of it being used not as a slur that means the word can't be a slur... it can be either depending on usage therefor the word itself is both

In my city we have a tranny bar called the Trannyshack. Can't be a slur word if there's a place of business that features it in their name.

Woodsey:

Liquidacid23:

TestECull:

It's also a food, so we can say fun things like, "I swallow faggots whole".

OT: Uh huh.

true... and saying it like that doesn't even sound much worse than saying "I swallow balls of British meat"

Liquidacid23:

Nigger ONLY has a slur definition... tranny does not... pick up a dictionary sometime and maybe the fact words can have more than one meaning will be clear to you

You should take your own advice sometime. I've been arguing for the past five goddamned posts now that tranny has multiple definitions. Hell, that was my ORIGINAL FUCKING POINT! Oh, and while you're at it, try reading stuff for once, because if you read my posts you'd know I already knew that.

I never said it was ALWAYS a slur... because it isn't... however you said it ISN't a slur at all which is incorrect... it CAN BE a slur and it can not be.. you seem to think just because there is the possibility of it being used not as a slur that means the word can't be a slur... it can be either depending on usage

Again, if you read my posts instead of just spazzing out and posting some knee-jerk reaction you'd not have any issue understanding what I'm saying. I'm making my point blindingly fucking clear and you STILL manage to miss it entirely. So let me spell it out in a way even a three year old could understand.

Slurs have one use: Putting a group down. That's it. That's their whole reason to exist. That's why they're called slurs. If a word has a legit non-slur use, such as tranny, it is not a slur. Can you use it as one? I never said you couldn't. I did, however, say that it isn't a slur.

If that doesn't explain it to you then you're a hopeless cause and not worth my time. Try reading carefully. I'm not going to reply if you continue to post the same knee-jerk bullshit that shows you lack the willingness to actually read my post.

Liquidacid23:

just because it has a non-slur definition and use doesn't negate the fact it also has a use which is a slur...

Indeed. Especially since the two uses impact different people. Unless you know a transsexual with a transmission, of course, but then I think you might have bigger issues.

I tend not to think of it as such. I typically use it when I want to refer to transvestites and transsexuals as one group in a concise way. I have heard it used in a derogatory way, but I'm not sure if it's being misused in that context. I generally tend to shrug off those remarks anyway.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked