Poll: Your Favorite Version of the Normandy

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Yes, it's an other ME thread. No, it's not about ME3's ending, please don't let it get derailed in to such a discussion.

So I was playing a bit of ME3 today when I realized that the ME3 Normandy was not quite as aesthetically pleasing as the ME2 Normandy. At least Cerberus had the good sense to put in plenty of lighting and panels to cover up the circuitry and wiring (it's possible the Alliance never got around to it what with the Reaper invasion of Earth).

There were really only two things I like about the ME3 Normandy over the ME2 Normandy:

- The armory's location makes a lot more sense. It looks like it's being used as opposed to having it on the main level with Jacob just faffing about alone in there.
- The crew deck portrayed more of a "homey" feel in that of all three Normandys, it seems like the best one for crew members to relax and take a load off (especially since one of the lounges has a poker table and a bar).

Apart of that, the ME3 Normandy just seemed inefficient to me. It has an underused conference room, a security checkpoint that really seems to serve no purpose and an over sized war room.

So Escapists, which Normandy do you like best?

To be honest, I'd be surprised if the ME1 Normandy was able to compete with the other two in this poll.

The one without the loading screens >_>

ME3 Normandy felt more cosy.

I think it was supposed to have panels and stuff missing because the ship was being retro-fitted but had to bail.

What with there being a Reaper invasion and all.

while ME2's normandy was shony and nice...it just screamed "Cerberus" to me, the original normandy felt cold yes...but it felt "military" we were the alliance..we were the good guys

I actually own both models

anyway finished ME3 last night...I cant play any other games right now..it would feel wrong...like sleeping with a another man after my husband dies

Vault101:
while ME2's normandy was shony and nice...it just screamed "Cerberus" to me, the original normandy felt cold yes...but it felt "military" we were the alliance..we were the good guys

anyway finished ME3 last night...I cant play any other games right now..it would feel wrong...like sleeping with a another man after my husband dies

Really? I just sat in the shower and cried for 2 hours.

They were so close. sooooo close, and they fucking blew it.

Anyway, enough about the ending, this is a happy thread about happy things.

Wayneguard:
The one without the loading screens >_>

OOOOOOOHHHHH! *Slaps Knee*
But that one did have elevator scenes...

OT: I like ME2's the best.
I liked it's lighting, foremost, and I enjoyed my crew in it, it felt like home... it was home...

Daystar Clarion:

Vault101:

I barely got any sleep last night..I just layed there thinking....and thinking...about it

and when I hear that music track..the one with the little piano peice..the the loud reaper noises (the one that plays at the start where the kid dies) oh man..it gets me right here *points to heart* (literally...Its like stress or somthing)

but your right,..I dont care how early it is...lets drink away our past ME3 worries...

ME3's Normandy was the best. It just felt like a more believable ship to me. Though I have to say, one of the things I miss from ME1 were the number of NPCs that were in each area of the ship. ME2 had a few people here and there, but it just felt so empty. It was nice to have a few dozen people scattered about the ship in ME3, though I wish Engineering had been given some love it that respect. Poor Adams is all alone down there for the majority of the game unless Ken and Gabby were saved in ME2.

Me3's but I do hate that dang screener between the war room and CIC. I wanted to slap those privates a few times.

I'd say ME2... but those Cerberus logos. So I'm going to say ME3.

Cerberus Normandy for me. Though...i havent played me3 yet.

ME3 by far.

ME1 had so much less compared to everything else, but I liked the loading screen the most.
ME2 is a close second, but the colors bothered me. I preferred my blues to oranges. And I liked the loading screens less.

ME2 Normandy had more people on it and had more light. Sooooo....... ME2 Normandy

I think it got better with each game, as you would expect it to.

So the ME3 normandy. More space, more detailed, lovely.

ME1 was slightly claustrophobic, dark and had some really underdeveloped areas such as Captain's room and Medbay/Liara's office. But as a layout it made a perfectly believable war ship that seemed to emphasis the ships purpose as a small stealth frigate as opposed to a heavily armoured cruiser.

ME2 was a huge improvement with large, bright clean corridors, fantastic captain's quarters, a new deck for engineering, many more rooms which seem to serve a purpose on the crew deck and windows throughout. Quantum communicator was cool but the seeming lack of regular communications facillities felt odd. Jacob's armoury was nice to look at but woefully underused. If each table served a specific function that would have been groovy.

ME3 reclaimed too much of the original Normandy's love for dark interiors. On a warship with no windows, you don't need to keep the lights off all the time. Looking mid-way through a retro fit was a cool addition but poorly implemented. What is with the fabrics covering panels and Javik's room looking like a 1960's ammo storage tent? It looked horribly dated. I don't quite understand the purpose of the war room, it's not like they knew they needed it and it seemingly served only one purpose, a screen that could have just as easily been viewed on your PC. It also had such a clunky layout, the comm room on the original normandy fulfilled the war room's purpose much more adequately. I won't even start with that fucking scanner that separates the too. Actually I will. It must been scientfically designed to piss us off having to listen to those irritating women chatter away like they've got absolutely nothing more important to do. I spent most of the game wishing I could just knock them the fuck out and ask Garrus to set a small demo charge on that time wasting scanner... What the fuck would it be scanning for anyway!? It made no fucking sense!

The old table/communicator was stuffed into a corner and looked more in the way than purposefully designed. They should have scrapped it. Liara's room was fantastic, I wish the same level of detail went in the others, particularly the crew's bunk rooms and the engineering decks. A memorial was a nice touch but it probably didn't need to be a small monolith parked in the tightest corridor of the ship...

On the elevator/load screens. I'd rather they didn't break immersion by switching to load screens, the original presidium hub was far larger and didn't require load screens, so why does the ship need one for every deck? It made doing the obligatory post-mission whip around the ship so tiring.

The perfect blend would be the interior design of the SR2 with the extra attention to detail that ME3 brought. And I missed having a tech lab. Also the addition of having all the crew members fully animated and doing various tasks would have been great. I understand the cost to the cpu would be huge but as the consoles get more powerful, things like this should be a priority for making places more believable and immersive. Hopefully if their are future adventures in the Mass Effect universe, the ability to command your vessel in actual battles would be most welcome. Afterall, that's the captain's job. And I don't recall ever seeing Shepard or Anderson ever giving any real orders to his crew during a battle.

If the Normandy in ME3 had better lighting, then I would pick that one. (Also, seriously, what the heck was up with that body scan going to the war room? Was that part loading screen?)
Then again, I had more people to talk to and the space was used well in ME2.

I'll just pick the SR-2 as my favorite.

I liked the SR-1 because it felt like a ground-breaking prototype, everything felt kinda cramped and awkward sometimes. I liked the ME3 version better than the ME2 version because it just felt so much more people actually lived in it, not a sterile lab.

I'm going for SSV Normandy SR-2.

Definitely the ME3. It gave the impression of actually being the center of a galactic war with ways to get strategic information and an actual armory to boot. It also seemed a lot more organic compared to the others.

None of the Normandy designs to date have fit the profile of a low profile warship to be honest. 1 and 3 were closer to it than 2, but both had serious design flaws. Granted, going for a really realistic feel would lead to a quite cramped and ugly interior, but a compromise is certainly possible.

ME1 was ok, but for some reason it felt like a pain in the ass going through all the floors to speak with people.

ME2 was great, albeit somewhat empty. Plus you got to spend time on a ship with all squad members occupying their respective areas, so it felt like home.

ME3 is a better ship, no Cerberus logos. However, I walk into some of the rooms (life support, Cic, to some extent the med bay) and feel an overwhelming sadness, due to certain people I liked not being there. Like seeing your dogs bed after the injection.

Sooo...wrap up, ME1 is the most military-esque feeling ship, ME2 has the fondest memories and is the most like a home, ME3 is a mix of both, that dosen't quite surpass either.

I like the ME2 one because it was such a big jump over the first Normandy. When this one goes into battle near the end of the game it finally seems like the warship it was built to be. Plus the 2nd Normandy held the best characters of the series by far.

rickthetrick:
Me3's but I do hate that dang screener between the war room and CIC. I wanted to slap those privates a few times.

"Let's just waste a minute of your time every time you want to check something!"
-Great marketing plan.

ME3 Normandy. I'm not particularly happy of the lighting on the bridge, but if I were to compare the layout of the SR2 to the SR2(A), I like the alliance one better. The security checkpoint's an annoyance, but the meeting area and war room are just... beautiful.

Anyone notice that when talking to Jacob on the Normandy in ME2, one of the off-hand comments Shepard can make after his loyalty mission is: "The next Normandy is getting a lounge."

The Normandy SR2(A)... got a lounge.
That made me laugh the first time I saw it. And I think that little touch is what won me over.

AbstractStream:
If the Normandy in ME3 had better lighting, then I would pick that one. (Also, seriously, what the heck was up with that body scan going to the war room? Was that part loading screen?)
Then again, I had more people to talk to and the space was used well in ME2.

I'll just pick the SR-2 as my favorite.

Yeah it was a loading screen in disguise. Because the war assets and all that fluff isn't loaded except for cutscenes, and then when you leave the conference room you have to load the galaxy map. That's what I heard anyways

My favorite Normandy is the landings on June 6, 1944.

Apart from the Scanner in the ME3 Normandy it had much faster load times than the others, so that one it is.

2 mass effect threads in off topic, it's starting to leak out of the gaming forum.

Vault101:

Daystar Clarion:

Vault101:

I barely got any sleep last night..I just layed there thinking....and thinking...about it

and when I hear that music track..the one with the little piano peice..the the loud reaper noises (the one that plays at the start where the kid dies) oh man..it gets me right here *points to heart* (literally...Its like stress or somthing)

but your right,..I dont care how early it is...lets drink away our past ME3 worries...

That was *exactly* what I did, down to the soundtrack. And I have a solution to the woe about the endings (bar large excess of alcohol): http://koobismo.deviantart.com/gallery/
His name was Marauder Shields. Never forget... [here's the reference if you didn't get it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=467pmIX-oZo ]

OT: number 3. I spent time in the armory. The background conversations meant that I'd be lollygagging where the gate would of been regardless. The fact I can have many fish without feeding them (romancing-it-up with kelly would be out-of-character). Cerberus combined with the lack of the normandy theme made the second one feel sterile (intentionally probably), the third one felt homier. Now if only they put music in the Captain Quarters that wasn't garbage...
^also applies to the game being utterly perfect.

C F:
ME3 Normandy. I'm not particularly happy of the lighting on the bridge, but if I were to compare the layout of the SR2 to the SR2(A), I like the alliance one better. The security checkpoint's an annoyance, but the meeting area and war room are just... beautiful.

Anyone notice that when talking to Jacob on the Normandy in ME2, one of the off-hand comments Shepard can make after his loyalty mission is: "The next Normandy is getting a lounge."

The Normandy SR2(A)... got a lounge.
That made me laugh the first time I saw it. And I think that little touch is what won me over.

the normandy also gets a lounge in the kasumi goto me2 dlc.

Brown Cap:
My favorite Normandy is the landings on June 6, 1944.

Hey, hey, this is a thread about video games. Let's stay on topic.

Medal of Honour: Allied Assault for mine.

Fine then ME1 one because ME2 was a disappointment, and ME3 isn't interesting me much.

Lionsfan:

Yeah it was a loading screen in disguise. Because the war assets and all that fluff isn't loaded except for cutscenes, and then when you leave the conference room you have to load the galaxy map. That's what I heard anyways

Ah, thanks for the clarification man. Least I had my suspicions confirmed.

Richardplex:

Vault101:

Daystar Clarion:

That was *exactly* what I did, down to the soundtrack. And I have a solution to the woe about the endings (bar large excess of alcohol): http://koobismo.deviantart.com/gallery/
His name was Marauder Shields. Never forget... [here's the reference if you didn't get it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=467pmIX-oZo ]

Now if only they put music in the Captain Quarters that wasn't garbage...

aww...I didnt mind the music the captins cabin...some nice cheesy techno

anyway..as for ME3's ending the more I think about Indoctrination theory the more sense it makes..I really feel like there somthing else going

which mean it could eather be a horrible nonsensical ending..or a very ver brilliant and subtle ending

we'll see

Well, Mass Effect 1 had... elevators.
Eeeeeeeeeuuuuuughghghghg
Mass Effect 2 still takes balls long to load even on PC.
But Mass Effect 3 loads super quick and has no elevators and I can go "Commander Stompy Pants Shepard" all I want in it, so I choose 3.

Captcha: Taco tuesday.
I agree, Captcha. I agree.

Daystar Clarion:

Vault101:

I sympathize with you both, I really do. I felt the exact same way.

To be more on-topic, however, I preferred Mass Effect 3's Normandy. Yes, the colors weren't quite to my liking, since Orange is my favorite color, but outwardly, it had a wonderful sleekness despite that. Inside, everything made more sense, and it felt much more alive. A big part of that was the Squadmates moving from place to place, calling each other over the comm, and the fact that now, the Lounge is simply there from the start. Its just too bad Shepard didn't get another chance to play Skyllian Five there to break it in.

The first Normandy felt a little too sparse, and the second, Cerberus-controlled Normandy felt sterile.

wintercoat:
ME3's Normandy was the best. It just felt like a more believable ship to me. Though I have to say, one of the things I miss from ME1 were the number of NPCs that were in each area of the ship. ME2 had a few people here and there, but it just felt so empty. It was nice to have a few dozen people scattered about the ship in ME3, though I wish Engineering had been given some love it that respect. Poor Adams is all alone down there for the majority of the game unless Ken and Gabby were saved in ME2.

....grr. Why did you take the words straight out of my... fingers? I guess? Anyways, I liked how the SSV Normandy SR-2 was a good balance of the good and bad of the first two Normandys. I was slightly saddended by them removing most of the crew though - that was a great plus on both the SR-1 and SR-2.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked