Can we talk about the "friend zone" and "nice guys" for a moment?

Pages PREV 1 . . . 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Time I put in some thoughts of mine:

I lived for a long time (sad 2 years) under the misconseption that I was the nice guy who girls never picked. But then a realisation struck me: I was not the nice guy, I was the silent idiot who never could be straight forward. I also had the misconception of "girl is nice to me = I have a shot".

Girls are the same in behaviour as I am and I am nice to everybody except THE SITUATION, this doesn't meant I want in everyones pants.

So yeah, after this struck me with another fun fact (people don't give a crap about you embarassing yourself) I got a lot more "aggresive" and BAM, I get nice girls to notice me in the kind of way I wanted them to notice me back then.

I have also to agree with the OP: Killing every contact just because you got rejected lets you seem like the douche who just wanted her in the wrong way. I was in such situations, the friendship suffered (of course, after such a statement everyone with a brain understands that you'd rather have some seperate time) but they are still going. I was the one who called again and invited them to dinner (the monthly trip to the chinaman!) / drink / whatever.

Now I'm off to read 19 pages of stuff so excuuuuuse me princess if the discussion already shifted to something else entirely.

Jimbo1212:

Actually everyone of my posts has addressed OP if you cared to have read the replies, you however are utterly off topic due to your inability to understand analogies.
You also like to read into trends as mortality increases for every age group after 10-14, so are 50 year olds partying like mad every night......or is it that life is simply a dangerous ? Either way, don't bother replying as I would not like to see you get a warning for derailing the thread.

Original post by: museofdoom
Who you have been replying to: tobyornottoby

And no, the increased probability of dying is not because 50 year olds are "partying." Rather, the probability of dying increases over time because of weakening immune systems, poor health habits (that take time to accrue) and exposure to dangerous work, things teens are largely unaffected by.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6572283.stm

A third of road fatalities in the UK are under 25. Road accidents are the number 1 killers of teens. Not AIDS, not tuberculosis, not cancer. Pick any older demographic and it's going to be a disease.

And if you look into that post I had with the link to the sexual expenditure, you'll notice that I biologically explained the PoV of males in the friend zone. It's scientific!

Freechoice:

Jimbo1212:

Actually everyone of my posts has addressed OP if you cared to have read the replies, you however are utterly off topic due to your inability to understand analogies.
You also like to read into trends as mortality increases for every age group after 10-14, so are 50 year olds partying like mad every night......or is it that life is simply a dangerous ? Either way, don't bother replying as I would not like to see you get a warning for derailing the thread.

And no, the increased probability of dying is not because 50 year olds are "partying." Rather, the probability of dying increases over time because of weakening immune systems, poor health habits (that take time to accrue) and exposure to dangerous work, things teens are largely unaffected by.

A third of road fatalities in the UK are under 25. Road accidents are the number 1 killers of teens. Not AIDS, not tuberculosis, not cancer. Pick any older demographic and it's going to be a disease.

And if you look into that post I had with the link to the sexual expenditure, you'll notice that I biologically explained the PoV of males in the friend zone. It's scientific!

.....you can't follow analogies and now you don't understand sarcasm. I think the issue here is communication on your end.

Again, you don't address the actual topic and are going off on some bizarre and irrelevant tangent.
What on earth does an increase in fatalities have to do with " Friend zone and nice guys"?

Jimbo1212:

Freechoice:

Jimbo1212:

.....you can't follow analogies and now you don't understand sarcasm. I think the issue here is communication on your end.

Again, you don't address the actual topic and are going off on some bizarre and irrelevant tangent.
What on earth does an increase in fatalities have to do with " Friend zone and nice guys"?

Not fatalities. The paper on sexual expenditures. Did you not read that? I'm guessing no.

Biologically, warm-blooded males often go out of their way to make nice with a female in hopes for an opportunity. According to some theory (the name of which escapes me), male animals that engage in courtship (like the peacock) will often jeopardize itself by making itself a bigger target for predators or, more importantly, spending resources in something superfluous just to attract a female. It's supposed to be a demonstration of biological fitness, but the supposed benefits can be simultaneously considered massive wastes of time and energy.

Basically, a male is wasting his own time and resources trying to court a female. What does that sound like?

As well, you weren't demonstrating purposeful sarcasm. The point of sarcasm, by wiki definition is:

"Insincerely saying something which is the opposite of one's intended meaning, often to emphasize how unbelievable or unlikely it sounds if taken literally, thereby illustrating the obvious nature of one's intended meaning."

Sarcasm doesn't work where you wanted it to because there are clear explanations as to the continued decrease in survivability. Your statement is trying to mock the credibility of the source (Oxford no less) in order to favor your own point. Your ignorance in the matter is underscored by your need for "sarcasm". The data shows how human mortality skyrockets once a person is in adolescence. Yeah, the world is dangerous, but why is it that auto accidents are not the highest killer for people 50+ like it is for 15-24? Why is it that people at the peak of immune and physical health experience the sharpest drop in survivability?

And what is with you and "my experience"? You cite that for a LOT of things. If anything, my experience with American teens is far greater than yours because I see them daily. They're not arrogant. They're stupid and they're boring. That's why they smoke pot and get drunk. In my search for citations and sources (which you curiously have yet to bring into the argument) I found accounts of European kids acting quite stupid. Not as stupid as American kids, but still. I read one account of French kids flocking to a British/American shop that sold root beer... because they thought it was beer. Or there was this one where some Russian kids would buy this hemp based drink because they thought it would make them high. It didn't. Many lulz were had by the adults there.

And since those are "experiences" by other people, they kind of negate your own point about it "just being Americans", non?

I'd retract my statement if you found out the UK's number one killer of teens was foamy diarrhea caused by tap water and it was professionally studied... but you haven't. You haven't found anything to prove your points. Even the ones you had against Toby, you fail to provide a link to validate what you were saying.

imahobbit4062:
I'd agree with the whole "Just because you're nice doesn't entitle you to a relationship with them"
However, the friend I had feelings for, hooked up with me (while she was completely sober mind you) months after we became friends, then when I confessed my feelings for her I was instantly friend zoned.
Now that was bullshit.

I wouldn't really call that bullshit, just a one night stand. Or well, she thought it was a one-night stand. Obviously you disagree, which means things were unclear from the beginning. I do wonder how you got that far without establishing SOME sort of relationship, though :-\

Captcha: beg the question. Heh. Ironic.

A warning for some:

Some observations from studies:
1) Sometimes, a girl can be just as superficial as a man when it comes to looks for hooking up. Studies suggest different for actual partnering (mating/marriage). And why shouldn't they? It's just a hook up.
2) Women are attracted to some things that may seem odd. For just a hook up, studies suggest they like scars and men that don't smile. And actually, a little meat around the middle. A LITTLE! I'm guessing on a biological level, it helps them differentiate a thick man from a little boy or a woman EDIT: For straight women.

Mortai Gravesend:
*snips because he's burning dinner and skimmed over it with only one real part to focus on at this moment*

The "she lacks common sense" isn't the "because she won't date me" it's because "she dates guys that she knows are abusive" and if you think getting the crap beaten out of you by someone who'd never really love you is a "healthy relationship" then you're just plain stupid.*

EDIT: (-removed using retarded as an adjective, I'm better than that-)
I just don't understand the logic in that, it's like going to a kennel looking for a dog, having gotten lots of agressive dogs in your past (history of crap boyfriends), being wounded and scarred by them all(abused), then while looking for this new dog because all the others left after she wouldn't feed them treats (have sex), one jumps out and bites her hand off (finds another abusive one) and she falls in love with it, takes it home, repeat...

and I have to deal with all the crap of "I LOVE HIM AND HE'S GOOD FOR ME!" one moment
then a few months later have her call me and listen to her cry about how he beat her and left her because she wouldn't sleep with him, how she needs a good guy in her life, how she's done with bad boys, then turns around and does the same freaking thing again, and drags me through it again...

It's so out of hand to the point where I feel if one of them eventually murders her (not that I EVER hope that will happen, that would be a terrible thing) it would be more like an assisted suicide and be better for her.

Is there a disability about this kind of behavior? I mean, most would call it "being emo" in some way but she's not at all.

(what really gets me is about half the girls I know act this way, maybe it's just that people in humboldt suck?)

Gorfias:
A warning for some:

1) Sometimes, a girl can be just as superficial as a man when it comes to looks for hooking up. Studies suggest different for actual partnering (mating/marriage). And why shouldn't they? It's just a hook up.
2) Women are attracted to some things that may seem odd. For just a hook up, studies suggest they like scars and men that don't smile. And actually, a little meat around the middle. A LITTLE! I'm guessing on a biological level, it helps them differentiate a thick man from a little boy or a woman EDIT: For straight women.

And the studies say I'm screwed. If that is true, then well I'll just nerd it up. And stay a nerd. An insane one but better then a sobbing one.

Ace Verret:

Gorfias:
A warning for some:

And the studies say I'm screwed. If that is true, then well I'll just nerd it up. And stay a nerd. An insane one but better then a sobbing one.

Not if you are serious about a woman. Another fun study: they showed men and women series of pictures of men and women. For the men, it didn't matter what the woman was wearing but if she was young and pretty. For the women, they were paying attention to what the man was wearing, regardless of looks when asked if the person was a suitable mate. If the male was wearing a McDonald's uniform, regardless of being "nerdy" or "buff", he was unsuitable. Suit, holding a briefcase? Suitable, even if he looked like Wally Shawn.

Gorfias:

Not if you are serious about a woman. Another fun study: they showed men and women series of pictures of men and women. For the men, it didn't matter what the woman was wearing but if she was young and pretty. For the women, they were paying attention to what the man was wearing, regardless of looks when asked if the person was a suitable mate. If the male was wearing a McDonald's uniform, regardless of being "nerdy" or "buff", he was unsuitable. Suit, holding a briefcase? Suitable, even if he looked like Wally Shawn.

I'd rather date a buff McDonald's employee than a fugly lawyer, no matter what any study says. Looks matter on dudes too.
Maybe people should focus less on what studies say and more on meeting real people.
I don't think I've heard of any studies about what `women are like` that relate to what I am actually like.

Phasmal:

Gorfias:

I'd rather date a buff McDonald's employee than a fugly lawyer, no matter what any study says. Looks matter on dudes too.
Maybe people should focus less on what studies say and more on meeting real people.
I don't think I've heard of any studies about what `women are like` that relate to what I am actually like.

You write "date" rather than "mate" or marry. Buff McDonald's dude asks for your hand in marriage. So does this guy image OK, imagine the suit is nicer. Your thoughts?

Gorfias:

Phasmal:

Gorfias:

You write "date" rather than "mate" or marry. Buff McDonald's dude asks for your hand in marriage. So does this guy image OK, imagine the suit is nicer. Your thoughts?

My thoughts? I'd rather cut of my arm with a rusty spoon than marry that ugly guy. Bleugh.
Do you seriously think the guys JOB is all that matters? I'm sad.

My boyfriend doesn't earn very much, but it's enough to get by. Money isn't everything, in fact it's pretty much nothing to me. I once knew a guy who was due for a big inheritance and was into me. I was not into him. End of. (Bizarre but true).

Phasmal:

Gorfias:

Phasmal:

My thoughts? I'd rather cut of my arm with a rusty spoon than marry that ugly guy. Bleugh.
Do you seriously think the guys JOB is all that matters? I'm sad.

My boyfriend doesn't earn very much, but it's enough to get by. Money isn't everything, in fact it's pretty much nothing to me. I once knew a guy who was due for a big inheritance and was into me. I was not into him. End of. (Bizarre but true).

Of course money isn't everything! I saw it in a Julia Robert's movie! "Sleeping with the Enemy". Kidding, but it came out at an interesting time: right around the time "Dream Lover" came out: kinda twin nightmare scenarios dramatizing how bizzare it is that people choose mates the way they do.

Curious: are you at an age or point in your life where you would seriously consider marriage? Do you have an idea of a life plan? Maybe these things don't factor because, you aren't ready, so they don't matter.

Gorfias:
s\nip

Thanks for the advice, but

Seriously, people just need to be confident and more direct. If you wait to long, you only have yourself to blame.

Volf:

Gorfias:
s\nip

Thanks for the advice, but

Seriously, people just need to be confident and more direct. If you wait to long, you only have yourself to blame.

Funny and sweet. Thanks for that!

Gorfias:

Of course money isn't everything! I saw it in a Julia Robert's movie! "Sleeping with the Enemy". Kidding, but it came out at an interesting time: right around the time "Dream Lover" came out: kinda twin nightmare scenarios dramatizing how bizzare it is that people choose mates the way they do.

Curious: are you at an age or point in your life where you would seriously consider marriage? Do you have an idea of a life plan? Maybe these things don't factor because, you aren't ready, so they don't matter.

Wow, I wrote a reply to this hours ago before I went out but it looks like it didn't post. Will try and remember what I said earlier.

I've never had a lot of money, so I'm not bothered about other people not having money. I'm not looking for my potential husband to be my `Daddy` and flash cash to make me happy. I don't know anybody like that, either.

My boyfriend and I are in a serious relationship, been 3 years next week. We're planning to get engaged in a few years. I have seriously thought about it and I'm seriously serious that I know more about what I want in a dude than some study does.

Thinking you know what other people want because you read a study on their genders behaviour is silly.

Phasmal:
[quote="Gorfias" post="18.364603.14485666"]
Thinking you know what other people want because you read a study on their genders behaviour is silly.

I get so beat up in these forums for stating that I think you have to take such studies with a grain of salt. I really do.

That written, you haven't responded: do you have a life plan of any sort? Is marriage and kids a part of it?

I'm not tyring to pick on you: so it is established: My hope is that a typical woman wants to socialize a man, give him purpose, be served by him and in extension. improve his quality of life. Hopefully, their efforts will culminate in children, families, communities and nations.

Gorfias:

Phasmal:

I get so beat up in these forums for stating that I think you have to take such studies with a grain of salt. I really do.

That written, you haven't responded: do you have a life plan of any sort? Is marriage and kids a part of it?

I'm not tyring to pick on you: so it is established: My hope is that a typical woman wants to socialize a man, give him purpose, be served by him and in extension. improve his quality of life. Hopefully, their efforts will culminate in children, families, communities and nations.

Ah, I wrote more in my first reply.
But yeah, marriage, kids, all that. It's in the plan.
Thinking about having kids when I am about 25/6/7 I'm not sure yet.
Though childbirth is freaky to me so I will be freaking out.

I don't wanna socialise my boyfriend though, he's not a monkey. Lol.

Phasmal:

Ah, I wrote more in my first reply.
But yeah, marriage, kids, all that. It's in the plan.
Thinking about having kids when I am about 25/6/7 I'm not sure yet.
Though childbirth is freaky to me so I will be freaking out.

I don't wanna socialise my boyfriend though, he's not a monkey. Lol.

Child birth is a messy miracle. They put me in the catcher's position for most my first's, birth and he's been a headache ever since :-) But they give me a reason to get my butt to work.

I use the term socialise very loosely. It can mean simply such things as, motivating a man to do more and be more. I'd love to have been a parking lot attendent, especially now that there are hand held video game systems.. heck, on our cell phones. Wife keeps a flame under my butt. If your guy is anything like me, you'll likely to do the same for him.

Gorfias:

Child birth is a messy miracle. They put me in the catcher's position for most my first's, birth and he's been a headache ever since :-) But they give me a reason to get my butt to work.

I use the term socialise very loosely. It can mean simply such things as, motivating a man to do more and be more. I'd love to have been a parking lot attendent, especially now that there are hand held video game systems.. heck, on our cell phones. Wife keeps a flame under my butt. If your guy is anything like me, you'll likely to do the same for him.

It's the position of `pusher` that I'm worried about, lol. My sister tells me its not a huge deal (except she hemmoraged like crazy on her first so theres that), and she's done it 3 times.

Oh, thats more... motivation. Yeah I do that for boyfriend, and he does it for me too.
We're both gamers so we would probably spend all day playing games if we could get away with it.

Its funny seeing this thread on the front page. I wouldnt have noticed had this exact thing happened to me. I asked a female friend out to prom a couple days ago and she doesn't have any romantic feelings for me. Ya it sucks, but I don't think being upset is worth losing a friend over. I know it seems rather cold of me, but even though I got rejected, I decided I would get over (and I already have) as there is no use in being depressed about it. On a semi relate note, guess I'm not going to prom unless I can get a date.

Edit: I see that the topic completely shifted, well moving on

Gorfias:

Ace Verret:

Gorfias:
A warning for some:

I'm not going to be serious with anyone other then business associates.

The thing about this "Freindzone" BS is that some people don't seem to get that women are the same as men.

Considering this is the Internet the worst of people comes out to shine due to the appeal of anonymity. This anonymity has lead to the general misogyny that dogs the internet and allowed this "Freindzone" shite to get as big as it had.

Also I'm a bloke.

Onjenae:
The friend zone does not exist usually guys that get put in the friendzone are either losers or very unattractive no offense.

Adding 'no offense' at the end of an offensive remark does not make it unoffensive mate. Thought you should know.

Rawne1980:
And that is why I have never "befriended" a lass I was interested in.

If I found her attractive then I let it be known. It's easy and saves confusion.

But how does one say this politely? Is it fashionable the first time you talk with someone, you offhandedly say, "btw, if you're interested, I find you attractive. wanna' come to my place?" . . . . actually that sounds pretty good. Can I use that, or would that earn me a boot to the face?

edit: I hope I'm not reviving too old of a thread. I just didn't want to make a new thread on this.

So... would this call for a picture?

I always wanted to post one of them. ^.^

OT:
Well in my little experiences of love, romance and everything I have friend-zoned people and have the same done to me.
I still keep them as friends... unless it's an Ex-girlfriend. 0_0

If I'm the one friend-zoned I'll probably not stop trying to advance.
Unless she completely says "I don't like you" ... I might feel a little sore after that and go into anti-social mode. :/

Th3Ch33s3Cak3:
I'm sick of you guys complaining about this 'friendzone'. If you are not a suitable mate, then go and man up.

Why did you bring the topic up then? It has been dead since last May.

So clearly you went out of your way to find a discussion this topic just to complain about it.

Wow, I didn't even pay attention to the days this was posted, and didn't realize it was necro'd. Dunno why the trolls constantly revive dead threads.

Anyways though, I came in to put in my voice in hopes it might help out some people, since obviously the friendzone is something a lot of guys still fear (and will continue to fear). Guys, you have to realize that girls (much like guys) go through phases, and not all of them will necessarily go through the phases in exact order, or go through all of the phases at all. So what I'm going to be saying is a generalization.

For most girls of the age (since most friendzones come during [junior] high school and the early years of college at best), they're really attracted towards aggression, because on a biological scale, our bodies are still in the B.C. era. Our bodies are still worried about surviving a tiger, even if our brains are worried about buying the next iPhone. Aggressiveness is an attractive trait because it symbolizes a man who will protect the woman during pregnancy, childbirth, and raising said child til it can go and mate itself. Later in life, these women will most likely (but not necessarily) be more attracted to the traits you believe you have, such as kindness, being attentive, helpful, etc. because it shifts from the urge to procreate to the urge to settle down.
Also a lot of girls are attracted towards aggression because it's a sign of rebellion; something that's very big in the minds of a lot of teenagers.

However some girls don't go through this phase of aggressiveness and rebellion, are changed due to past relationships, etc. Some will genuinely be attracted to a guy like you. The most important thing to do is pull yourself together, muster up the courage to ask a girl out, and accept whatever her answer is. If she agrees to go on a date, try to make it a blast. Throw in some humor, pay attention to how the date is going (is she enjoying it? Does it look like she's just acting happy to get through it without depressing you?), and by the end of the date listen to her response. Would she like to go on another date with you? Did the two of you kiss (this isn't a deal breaker if she doesn't, but obviously if she kisses you on the lips, there's a good chance she's really into you)?
And if she declines, learn to get over it (I know it sounds harsh, but it's true), remain her friend, and try to muster up the courage to ask another girl out. You may fail your first few times, but the more you try, the more likely you are to get a girl who will like you and will want to date you. I don't mean ask every girl out, you want to make sure you are genuinely attracted to the girl you're asking out, but you will find there's a lot of potential mates/partners/etc. out there for you.
You may also find out the girl you first liked will like you later in life. Tastes constantly change, whether it's gustatory (that would be taste, as in food), auditory, visual, etc. And this does include attraction. Just another reason to stay friends with her. (:
Note: I'm not saying stay friends with her to possibly get in her pants, I just mean that if you'd stop being friends with her, your chances of ever getting with her would be close to zero. If you stay with her, she'll get to know more about you, and you may be the first guy she thinks about if she ever changes up her taste in men/changes them soon. So just keep that in mind.

Anyways, that's my two cents.
P.S. Please don't ever address yourself as a "nice guy", or any synonyms of nice. Thank you.

RIGHT! THAT'S IT! I'm taking off, and nuking this subject from orbit.

Why? EVERYONE'S FUCKING SICK OF IT. People who "friendzoned" other people get pissed off at said word (oh come the fuck on, what other word was I meant to use?) people who think they've been friendzoned get pissed off about that, people in successful relationships get pissed off at people who don't seem to get AND NOBODY GETS ANYWHERE BUT PISSED OFF!

Personally, I've had it with it because quite frankly, I'm sick of being called pathetic. I'm sick of people saying I haven't tried, or that there is nothing to lose in trying for a relationship. Here's what happens, I try, I fail, inevitably, everyone laughs at me for failing at something that should come naturally, I have to leave that circle of friends and spend at least a year in misery, anger, and even more self loathing than I have to put myself through to remind myself why I have no hope and must not try. Yes, it's true. I'm an abomination. I'm ugly, I'm not funny, I'm smarter than the average person but that says practically nothing these days, I'm not rich, I'm not charismatic, I'm not smooth, fuck, I'm not even that nice, do I sound like a nice person to you? I'm nothing that anyone would want. I FUCKING REALISE THIS. Do you think I don't? Do you think that the 22 year old virgin isn't fucking aware of the fact that he's a piece of shit?

Every time this comes up. Every fucking time, it reminds me.

Fact is, you're born as someone who can be wanted by someone else, or you're not. Nothing else to it. You want to prove me wrong? Go ahead, go right the fuck ahead. But enough of this "Oh, I've been friendzoned" shit. Enough of this "Oh, someone thinks that being nice'll make me like them" shit. I don't want to fucking hear it anymore.

Rant fucking over, discussion fucking over, and subject? FUCKING. OVER.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked