How old were you when you..

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Bought your first car? I'm 23, got a car today. I feel that I'm quite late to the party. So revheads, how old were you?

Hmm.
I see my fellow inferno badged escapists are creating threads about the flaming that goes on in off-topic. So as they're handling the responsible poster side of things, let's let loose in here! (within the admittedly limiting parameters of the question)

1996 I was 16.

It was a Reliant Robin. I hated roundabouts in that thing.

Surprised the bugger never tipped over.

Well, it took me almost 2 years to get my Learners permit. I haven't even driven yet, doubt I'll buy getting a car anytime soon.

I bought my first car at 18. A 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

You are a little I was too. I didn't get my first car till I was 22. If I would of known the hell I was going to go through I would of waited till I found a better one.

I had a Dodge Neon, nice car not much vroom vroom, but it worked. At least until a Chevy Malibu hit me in the drivers door going 55mph.

So I got a Dodge Intrepid, big car but more vroom vroom. Loved it until I found out it was literally spraying oil onto the catalytic converter. I took it to a mechanic and he told me he couldn't let me drive it as it was a ticking time bomb.

So I got a Ford Taurus with even more vroom vroom. It leaked everywhere. Coolant, transmission fluid, oil, and apparently brake fluid. My brakes failed and I nearly crashed into some poor old lady.

So now I went the extra 5,000 dollars and bought a Honda Accord. Not much for speed, but it accelerates nice. No problems, no issues. Never buying American ever again.

(thats about as loose as I'm going to get. Moderators scare me)

I am 18 and I just got my first car a month ago. It's a black Chevrolet Aveo, nothing special really.

Rawne1980:
1996 I was 16.

How long did you have it for can I ask?

lRookiel:
I am 18 and I just got my first car a month ago. It's a black Chevrolet Aveo, nothing special really.

Rawne1980:
1996 I was 16.

Of course.

I had it for 2 years. I was just starting out in the army and couldn't afford anything "better" and with it being my first car I found it hard to part with.

Eventually I had to sell it one. My baby was old and it was struggling with anything bigger than a slight bump. It started sputtering up hills and what was a 15 minute drive took close to an hour.

The highlight of owning that car was 2 days after my 17th. I'd met a lass in a pub on my first day of leave and drove round to pick her up the next day. The look of horror on her face was priceless, I wish i'd had a camera.

Rawne1980:

lRookiel:

Rawne1980:
1996 I was 16.

Of course.

I had it for 2 years. I was just starting out in the army and couldn't afford anything "better" and with it being my first car I found it hard to part with.

Eventually I had to sell it one. My baby was old and it was struggling with anything bigger than a slight bump. It started sputtering up hills and what was a 15 minute drive took close to an hour.

The highlight of owning that car was 2 days after my 17th. I'd met a lass in a pub on my first day of leave and drove round to pick her up the next day. The look of horror on her face was priceless, I wish i'd had a camera.

Isn't that one of those three wheel things?

I just got a Mazda 2 hatch :D

Rawne1980:

Of course.

2 Years in a 'not so reliant robin' without crashing, thats VERY impressive!

It's a shame you had to sell it really since they are quite special in a way. I imagine that lass must have been either scared, shocked or a mix of the two hehe.

I was 19 when I got my first car, it was a 1989 Opel Kadett 1.3. It didn't even have a cigarette lighter.

I was 18, and bought a VK commodore. Aussies amongst us will recognise that as a pretty solid first car, however the more astute New Zealanders will know that Holden exported a version to New Zealand with a pathetic little 4 cylinder engine. Big heavy, horribly underpowered piece of shit, with a teal blue interior. Blew the big end bearing and the engine tore itself to bits trying to tow a heavy load up a hill. learned a lot about cars that day.

I'm 23 and i still don't have my licence . With the cost of gas and everything i am not motivated to get a car . Plus i live in montreal and the public transport is amazing here . So i don't really need one . Now i do plan on gettig one eventually but at the moment it's not a priority .

BringBackBuck:
I was 18, and bought a VK commodore. Aussies amongst us will recognise that as a pretty solid first car, however the more astute New Zealanders will know that Holden exported a version to New Zealand with a pathetic little 4 cylinder engine. Big heavy, horribly underpowered piece of shit, with a teal blue interior. Blew the big end bearing and the engine tore itself to bits trying to tow a heavy load up a hill. learned a lot about cars that day.

We sent a crappy car across the ditch? Isn't that meant to be a v6?

*cough*, I mean, how unfortunate. Also the Warriors lost again this week.

Is there a local NZ car?

Thirteen.....no I'm serious....there's a long story that goes into it, but I had money that was mine, that was put away for college. I didn't raise it, but by law it was legally my money and it was in a bank account with my name on it.

Anyways, my sister had a car, she ended up not keeping up with the payments, my parents took it back from her, tried to sell it to a family friend, that ended badly, we got it back, so my parents gave it to me and took money from my college fund to pay it off fully.

It took a whole 5 years before I actually got to drive it. Yup, that's right, I didn't get my DL till I was 18.

I've never had my own car. I just borrowed my mum's car when I needed it, and now that I live on my own, I either cycle or walk everywhere. Cars are expensive, and on short trips a bike is almost as fast, or sometimes even faster.

Bloedhoest:
I was 19 when I got my first car, it was a 1989 Opel Kadett 1.3. It didn't even have a cigarette lighter.

Was it called Oliver?

Sorry, TopGear joke :p

ResonanceSD:

We sent a crappy car across the ditch? Isn't that meant to be a v6?

*cough*, I mean, how unfortunate. Also the Warriors lost again this week.

Is there a local NZ car?

It came in a 5 litre V8 version. with the 4cyl Holden starfire enigne there was so much room under the hood, you could literally stand in the engine bay to fix bits. Which you had to. All the time.

As for local NZ cars, mass production of vehicles died by the early 90's when the government stopped subsidising our industry and removed import tariffs (something Australia might want to consider rather than wasting truckloads of cash delaying the inevitable). Local manufacturing is left to the innovators and crackpots (with mixed results)

ResonanceSD:

Bloedhoest:

Was it called Oliver?

Sorry, TopGear joke :p

-4 horse power? I'd drive that!

OT: 17, preparing to get my license. It was a BMW 323 -00. Pretty sweet, considering it was my first car, but it had NOTHING on the cars I bought after that.

im 19 and i actually just bought my first car a week or two ago. its a 2002 suzuki aerio sedan.
really nice for a starter car.

A heavily used 280zx turbo when I was 17. It died a painful death in a snow drift several years later, but thankfully before it killed me; I smelled like an exhaust pipe when I got out of that thing.

I can't tell you how much I miss driving on a cool, clear night with the t-tops off :(

Still no car of my own :(

Although I get to drive the family Volvo whenever I want

24, I'll let you know when it happens. Don't have a license either.

I got my first car last year, at 21.

It was a beautiful Daewoo Matiz (2000 SE) in a weird orangey-gold colour.

Sadly, I'm in the process of selling it as I'm going to University next year and it's not exactly practical for me to be maintaining, insuring and taxing a car that probably won't get much use.

I bought my first car - my current car, in fact - in 2004. A 1987 ex-Royal Air Force Land Rover 90, started life as an airfield taxi at RAF Fairford. Still has the original RAF roundels. :-)

Then I got my driving licence a year later. Hey, it pays to be prepared.

EDIT:
Then I moved down to South Africa to live with my wife's family, and got stuck with her old Hyundai Atos. It's not a good car, but my 6'5" frame looks hilarious in it. So I got to use her dad's Jeep Grand Cherokee instead.

You know the really great thing?

In December, while driving that Jeep, I took a right-hand turn just as a BMW screams out rather faster than the speed limit allowed. He clipped the front-left corner of the Jeep, tearing the bumper off and scraping a big gouge down the side of the Beemer. Fortunately both Chrysler and the insurance agreed with my analysis of the crash, but still:

After six incident-free years, my first ever road incident - with my wife and then 2-month-old son in the back - was to knacker a BMW and lose the front of my father-in-law's Cherokee.

Could have been worse, at least. But still.

I first bought a car at 17; I received one as a 13th birthday present.

I bought my first car when I was 24. My previous cars were all hand-me-downs.

ResonanceSD:
Bought your first car? I'm 23, got a car today. I feel that I'm quite late to the party. So revheads, how old were you?

Hmm.
I see my fellow inferno badged escapists are creating threads about the flaming that goes on in off-topic. So as they're handling the responsible poster side of things, let's let loose in here! (within the admittedly limiting parameters of the question)

I got my first car when I was 16. It was a 1993 lincon town car.
I bought my first car when I was 18. It was a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer.

Quesa:
A heavily used 280zx turbo when I was 17. It died a painful death in a snow drift several years later, but thankfully before it killed me; I smelled like an exhaust pipe when I got out of that thing.

I can't tell you how much I miss driving on a cool, clear night with the t-tops off :(

I want.....feel your pain.

I am 23 and I don't have a car or know how to drive, but there is really no need at the moment as I don't live that far away from work and I actually get there before most of the people that have a car. I do plan on learning how to drive, but at the moment I am focusing on saving up to see my friend in Canada.

Am 21, haven't got one yet.
Bike works just fine for me.
If I need to go further away I
1) use public transportation
2) borrow a car

I am 22 and there is no way I could afford a car I am amazed all you guys can afford one so young. I always just borrow my parents car :P

Bought my first car? Never. My first car was a 96 Neon my dad got for me when I turned 16. A couple of years later, my brother went to jail so I took his 94 Mustang, as it was a far better car. We sold the Neon to get it out of the driveway about three months later. When my brother got out of jail, I figured he'd get his car back. Nope, dad said "keep it", and bought him a Z-28, and spend another couple thousand to put a more powerful engine into it. It took him less than two months to total it. And then he got a new car (I was on my own by this point, so no clue what). Yet when my girlfriend at the time totaled the Mustang, he didn't even call me.

Yeah, we know which child my father likes more.

I have never bought a car, my parents bought me one when I was 16, and they are going to give me full ownership of the car once I get my degree. It's a toyota rav4, so nothing fancy which is good because I'm not a big fan of flashy cars. I'm sure I will buy a car eventually, but not until I really need to get a new car, which hopefully won't be for a long time.

1996 4x4 black Jeep Cherokee with mud tires and a two inch lift. Oh man, I loved that thing. That thing got me laid :)! Gas was atrocious on that thing though, 11 mpgs holy crap.

At 18, a Kia Sephia

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked