When/how did you realize WWE wrestling was fake?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I was about 13 and I remember watching UFC for the first few times. Then, I noticed that when someone got put into a submission, they immediately tapped out with a face of extreme pain....but, a submission in WWE drags out into an extremely dramatic chance of escape for about 30 minutes long. lol

So, when/how did you find out? I find it funny how I find out, and I'm sure you guys have some funny ones.

EDIT: By fake, I mean scripted. I do agree that not just anybody can do it. It takes a bit of physical conditioning.

EDIT: Plus, I always thought as a kid that the name change from "World Wrestling Federation" to "World Wrestling Entertainment" was a little weird. lol

I started watching back during the WWF days, when people were actually expected to believe that the Undertaker could die and come back to life. Yeah, suspension of disbelief didn't last long.

On the other hand, the shows were much more entertaining to watch for it.

I was never a fan of it even as a child, I just eventually came to the realisation it was fake.

I watched WWF wrestling quite a bit as a kid, but I think I kind of assumed it was all fake because of how overdramatic it all was.

Looking back on it now, I must've been pretty apt because heck, some of the stuff that has happened I find utterly cringeworthy today.

The first time I watched it...

They're not exactly good actors.

When I realized I never saw bruising on any of them. A few episodes of Botchamania really cemented that fact.

Captcha: super star. Fuck Skynet taking over the world, Captcha will be now.

When someone was calling out for another opponent to fight him and he "magically" seemed to be in the facinity to kick his arse too!! I wouldn't be bothered to find myself that important to wait around and see when someone would be calling me bad names to fight them. I have better things to do... sometimes... *goes cry in corner* WHY oh WHY haven't they called?!

When I first watch it as a kid I didn't think it was. I stopped watching until about 2 years ago, and by then I knew it was. But god damn if it isn't entertaining. I love it. CM Punk, John Cena, Sheamus... they all kick-ass and take names. Just because it isn't real doesn't mean it's pointless (besides, it's still VERY athletic, despite not being real fighting). When I tell someone I love pro wrestling and they give me a funny look and say "but it's fake" I just stop the conversation there, because they just don't get it.

I don't think I ever thought it was real. But then again, when I was in first grade I told everyone in my class that Santa Claus didn't exist

Daystar Clarion:
The first time I watched it...

They're not exactly good actors.

Ha, exactly my experience :)

All the other kids were talking about the wrestling and Ice Cold and Rakishi. Well, pretty much the two names I remember. Maybe the Undertaker was there. At any rate, they were all excited about it until I decided to watch some wrestling myself. I must have been 11 at the time and the wrestling was at 11 in the evening on one of the channels - pretty late for me back then. Well, I was ready - turned on the TV, went to the channel...watched for a couple of minutes...went "What, is this it?" and turned it off and went to sleep.

Well it isn't fake per say. Its a very physical thing that you need to be a well trained and fit individual to partake in. People jumping off ladders and landing on their opponents outside of the ring is no CGI.

The storylines are hilariously fake, the punching and kicking is generally meant not to cause injury. The "finishers" are pulled off in a way that look impressive and painful but their impact is reduced as much as possible. Fights are scripted to an extent. The participants in WWE know who is due to win a match for example and act it out accordingly.

But the fact remains, injuries occur, wrestlers train and prepare very carefully and work together to ensure that the entertainment they provide is done as safely as possible. Those that don't accept this are soon kicked off the program if they are hired at all.

WWE isn't all fake, but it is scripted. Like a stunt show with big muscles and dodgy nicknames.

I guess the whole time? I mean I was somewhat a fan back during Hulk Hogen era and back then I wasn't exactly convince it was all real.
Maybe it was the time when my brother friend told me he went and to watch live and I guess I realise it was like drama in that they acted it all out before the audiences arrive.

Broady Brio:
When I realized I never saw bruising on any of them. A few episodes of Botchamania really cemented that fact.

Captcha: super star. Fuck Skynet taking over the world, Captcha will be now.

This. The first time I got into a fight I got a shot in and the guys eye started swelling immediately. I myself had a busted lip that got a little swollen. That's when I realized that it was fake because if two kids could do that with a couple of lucky shots then those guys should have been hamburger every night.

I never watched WWE but I figured out it was fake when I saw this gif

Then again I don't even know if that IS WWE or some other wrestling show but meh, unless it's UFC then it's probably fake :P

I don't even think I was out of primary school when I knew it wasn't real. I'd say less than 8, which is why I never watched it, cause I knew it was fake the whole time.

Hazy992:
I don't even think I was out of primary school when I knew it wasn't real. I'd say less than 8, which is why I never watched it, cause I knew it was fake the whole time.

What I don't understand is why wrestling being fake is a bad thing? It is no different to a game or movie in that it is fiction designed to entertain - hence the 'sports-entertainment attribute'.

OT: I guess the increasingly elaborate storylines did it for me. I was quite young at the time and didn't fully grasp how violence worked so the OTT blantly fake violence didn't click things into place for me.

Raven's Nest:
Well it isn't fake per say. Its a very physical thing that you need to be a well trained and fit individual to partake in. People jumping off ladders and landing on their opponents outside of the ring is no CGI.

The storylines are hilariously fake, the punching and kicking is generally meant not to cause injury. The "finishers" are pulled off in a way that look impressive and painful but their impact is reduced as much as possible. Fights are scripted to an extent. The participants in WWE know who is due to win a match for example and act it out accordingly.

But the fact remains, injuries occur, wrestlers train and prepare very carefully and work together to ensure that the entertainment they provide is done as safely as possible. Those that don't accept this are soon kicked off the program if they are hired at all.

WWE isn't all fake, but it is scripted. Like a stunt show with big muscles and dodgy nicknames.

Came in to say this. Scripted is not the same thing as fake.

OT: It was only a couple of episodes in when I looked online and found spoilers and knew it was scripted.

I figured it out after a few moments when they attempted to punch eachother but just stomped the ground instead. I really don't see how anybody could think it is real :S

Iron Criterion:

What I don't understand is why wrestling being fake is a bad thing? It is no different to a game or movie in that it is fiction designed to entertain - hence the 'sports-entertainment attribute'.

I don't understand it either, people still watch 'The Hills' 'Jersey Shore' and 'Big Brother' and yet they complain when some of the hardest working performers ever plan-out who wins the match.

I was never a fan as a kid, I remember watching a documentary that could have been called 'WRESTLING IS SUPER FAKE' for all I know. The documentary went into detail about some of the techniques used to help the wrestlers from being injured (like the ring has *gasp* give to it!) so that's how I found out they were per-determined.

but it's not easy, wrestling 5 or 6 days a week and constantly traveling is hard on people.

By watching it.

I recall reading on Cracked, though, it's a pretty tough gig since you're not allowed to tap out unless it's scripted so performers end up wrestling with broken bones amongst other injuries.

I mean... it's entirely not the point isn't? We're not in 1975 where it's being portrayed as a legit contest, it's 2012 where the pro-wrestling industry openly admits and desires to sell fantasy.

Calling wrestling fake is like being that jackass at a good magic show.

I was watching WWE with my dad when i was about six. He leaned down, taped my shoulder and said: "did you know this is fake?"

Mind: blown

I don't know. I've never been into WWE even when I was a kid, it just never appealed to me. Although nowadays all you have to do is look at a poster for it to realize that it's pretty much all about spectacle and has nothing to do with any sort of skill.

Almost instantly.

I remember catching an episode when I was like 10. And I could clearly tell that there is no way that shit was real.

I'm in agreement with a lot of the other posters.

scripted /=/ fake

Many wrestlers like Mark Calloway (Undertaker) Paul Levesque (Triple H) Glen Jacobs (Kane) and Oscar Gutierrez (Rey Mysterio) have had multiple injuries, and their post wrestling career will be very painful. The punches and kicks are stunted, but the falls are real, and dangerous. All you need is one person mistiming their release, and you're gonna break something. You have to rely on your opponent to do his job properly, or bad things happen.

It's not dangerous because it is real. It's dangerous because it's not.

canadamus_prime:
I don't know. I've never been into WWE even when I was a kid, it just never appealed to me. Although nowadays all you have to do is look at a poster for it to realize that it's pretty much all about spectacle and has nothing to do with any sort of skill.

I call BS on this statement. What they do may not be real fighting, but it takes a shit ton of athleticism and thousands of hours of practice. Pro wrestling still calls them athletes for a reason.

I was never really a fan of the show, but i figured out it was fake in elementary school. Someone told me it was fake and it just made sense that it would be fake.

I lost interest in WWF when they changed the F to an E.

I missed the old roster. Fake or not, it was highly entertaining to watch Mick Foley, Gilberg, Golddust, the old D-Generation X, Headbangers, etc etc.

I mean common, Shattered Dreams? Not many finishers made you cringe like that one.

I knew straight away. It's pretty easy to tell, and my parents told me it was fake. Didn't stop me watching it.

canadamus_prime:

If you watch the Louis Theroux documentary on Pro Wrestling you'll see that even though it's fake, it takes a lot of skill. These people train relentlessly, and they are mostly still hard as nails, even if it is "fake". They have have to survive being thrown around like ragdolls half the time.

And then there's the fact that some wrestlers have gone over to UFC. Brock Lesnar is the first to come to mind.

what it's fake? This changes everything my whole childhood is a lie! I guess I never really was interested to the point I cared about it though I did enjoy the games when I was younger

About the same time I figured out movies weren't real
I only watched it to be entertained, so it didn't bother me in the slightest.
John Cena on the other hand...

NameIsRobertPaulson:

canadamus_prime:

I call BS on this statement. What they do may not be real fighting, but it takes a shit ton of athleticism and thousands of hours of practice. Pro wrestling still calls them athletes for a reason.

razer17:
I knew straight away. It's pretty easy to tell, and my parents told me it was fake. Didn't stop me watching it.

canadamus_prime:

If you watch the Louis Theroux documentary on Pro Wrestling you'll see that even though it's fake, it takes a lot of skill. These people train relentlessly, and they are mostly still hard as nails, even if it is "fake". They have have to survive being thrown around like ragdolls half the time.

And then there's the fact that some wrestlers have gone over to UFC. Brock Lesnar is the first to come to mind.

Ok, let me clarify. I meant that it's more of a spectacle than it is any sort of display of fighting/wrestling skill.
EDIT: Meaning it's not really s skills competition, but more of a show for the audience.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

canadamus_prime:

I'd like to second this statement. For about four years I took part in a back garden wrestling "federation" with a bunch of my mates and once had an Iron Man match (I was a Rock fan he was an HBK fan; it was gonna happen sooner or later) we were absolutely shattered after about fifteen minutes. Add about six stone of muscle each to what we weighed, ramp up the intensity by about 10,000, add in sappingly hot lighting and throw in 50,000 screaming fans for good measure, it's remarkable there aren't regular occurences of wrestlers collapsing from exhaustion. The reason for this is athletes who are in amazing condition and years of training in knowing how to pace a match.

Plus, from my experience, it is a lot easier to hurt someone than it is to not hurt someone and look like you are.

Almost as soon as I heard of professional wrestling to begin with, and that was while they still called themselves the WWF.

Also, Little Caesars can kiss my ass.

I was pretty young, around eight or nine, when one of my uncles told me that wrestling was staged (better word than fake), but I was never really a wrestling fan so it didn't bother me at all.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked