Poll: Chaos or Tyranny?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Interesting question posed on twitter.

Which do you think is worse?

Personally freedom is more important to me, but then again...chaos means, well, chaos.

Tyranny.

Would you rather be a cave man or in the eastern bloc during communism/in Germany during the time of the Nazis?

I know what I would pick.

BURN ALL THE THINGS!

It would be fun for the few moments before the biker gangs got me.

Chaos. With chaos there is no order, no predictability. Humans crave predictability, even if that means giving in to tyranny. That's why so many nations allow a tyrannical leader to take over a country that is in chaos, because people want some kind of order, no matter what it is.

On the basis that both would be equally bad, I went with tyranny because I would still be able to get services and stuff (and tyranny is a cool word).

I would take chaos, I would get a chance to fight for my survival and freedom.

I think Chaos would be worse. At least with Tyranny you could learn to follow and adapt to the rules. While with Chaos you are liable to be shot and killed because someone didn't like your tie...

Chaos, because humanity always self-organises & forms communities that are capable of great things. Everyone here on the escapist is here as a result of chaos, not tyranny, and that's true of pretty much every community I can think of, although there are probably some exceptions. Tyranny just destroys communities & doesn't let the crowd reach their full potential.

Chaos, for it would give me the ability to form a new government.

You mean permanent chaos? Because there will usually be some leader to fill the void in cases of moments of chaos.

I'd prefer permanent tyranny over permanent chaos, as long as the government in question doesn't have a specific prejudice against my specific ethnicity, religion, etc. I get to mostly live my life as I want, as long as I don't go against the state or have overzealous neighbors who report me to the secret police for "suspected dissent."

I'm going to go with Chaos, simply because my faith in humanity gives me hope that the terrible things people do simply because it will have no repercussions will be kept to a minimum.

Chaos. Mankind has shown time and again that it can accomplish great feats even when it seems the world has gone mad. It won't be easy, but neither is tyranny.

In Chaos you can change your circumstances to better your position. In a tyranny, whatever the dictator says goes and it doesn't matter if you lose your livelihood or your life; there's not a damn thing you can do about it.

meh I have no problems with fighting for survival and I see it as preferable to being subjugated heavily so I'll go with chaos... tho in the end I suppose it wouldn't matter because even if we had a tyranny I'd still do whatever I wanted

Redlin5:
BURN ALL THE THINGS!

It would be fun for the few moments before the biker gangs got me.

Or the plastic surgeons that want your face.

Chaos you never know it might me fun.

In the world I seeyou're stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Chaos FTW

Ah shit. I voted for the one I wanted, not the one I thought was worse.

You should like... actually put the question in the poll. Instead of like, way later in the OP.

Chaos is better than Tyranny cause at least you have a chance.

tendaji:
I think Chaos would be worse. At least with Tyranny you could learn to follow and adapt to the rules. While with Chaos you are liable to be shot and killed because someone didn't like your tie...

Under trinity you will be shot in killed my myself (or or other revolutionaries) for supporting tyrants.

Tyranny is not safety. The Hunger games, China's hideous human right violations, Nazi Germany. That is tyranny it breeds chaos which in context is ironic but none the less true. Chaos is a zombie film or Left 4 Dead it somewhat less ironically breeds cooperation (possibly tyranny) or total extermination both of which I prefer over tyranny

Uszi:

You should like... actually put the question in the poll. Instead of like, way later in the OP.

Don't worry, so did I.

OT: I think Tyranny is worse. Having someone tell me exactly what I'm going to do and when i'm going to do it does not sit well with me. It's likely to happen during chaos too, but at least then that person isn't likely to have an entire government behind him, slightly better odds. And he'd likely have other enemies too.

JaceArveduin:

Uszi:

Don't worry, so did I.

OT: I think Tyranny is worse. Having someone tell me exactly what I'm going to do and when i'm going to do it does not sit well with me. It's likely to happen during chaos too, but at least then that person isn't likely to have an entire government behind him, slightly better odds. And he'd likely have other enemies too.

Same here, on both accounts. You give me a job to do and leave me alone to do it, I'll get it done. You give me a job to do and tell me step-by-step how to do it every time, I'll have to resist the urge to punch you in the face.

Tyranny of course. That is a circumstance that is at least part predictable and can be worked with, and can even be quite productive. Chaos or anarchy is unpredictable, unsafe, and nothing ever gets done.

Anyone who choose chaos and is not a war veteran with actual combat experience, is a liar. How can you say you prefer something while you've never experienced the most basic condition of that system?

DANEgerous:
Tyranny is not safety. China's hideous human right violations, Nazi Germany.

While that was all terrible and stuff, note how millions of people could live and in the case of China are living a pretty decent life.

Rule of the thumb for tyranny: Don't mess with the powers that be and don't belong to any persecuted groups there might be, and you'll be alright.

Blablahb:
Tyranny of course. That is a circumstance that is at least part predictable and can be worked with, and can even be quite productive. Chaos or anarchy is unpredictable, unsafe, and nothing ever gets done.

Anyone who choose chaos and is not a war veteran with actual combat experience, is a liar. How can you say you prefer something while you've never experienced the most basic condition of that system?

DANEgerous:

While that was all terrible and stuff, note how millions of people could live and in the case of China are living a pretty decent life.

Rule of the thumb for tyranny: Don't mess with the powers that be and don't belong to any persecuted groups there might be, and you'll be alright.

No you will not, your life involves more than just you, if the tyrant wants your mom dead she dies she was in the persecuted group not you but it effects you. You also so not need to belong to a persecuted group to be convicted of belonging to such a group as well as the fact the groups often change or expand to include you.

For me the rule of thumb of tyranny is kill all tyrants by any means necessary or escape to someplace else. I feel i must reiterate i would prefer utter annihilation over tyranny even if under tyranny I can scratch out a good life

I think I could survive in a world that got plunged into chaos. I don't trust strangers to begin with and I am the kind of person that will go to great lengths to not be fucked with. I would have me and a friend hold up in some house and take shifts with a couple of loaded shotguns. I think the shotgun is the perfect home invader tool for people that need to blow someone away.

Tyranny on one hand is worse by far and wide as it leads to persecution.

Chaos on the other hand, to paraphrase the joker, is fair.

On the other hand tyranny is- Wait, that's too many hands...

Chaos. Better to die in the pit than in the gutter.

Captcha: sting like a bee. See? Captcha understands.

-One can overthrow a tyranny and restore the country to a halfway decent level of government within years. If lacking an opportunity to do that, keeping one's head down and mouth shut has a good chance of allowing you to live a good life. Not one that I would willingly choose, and one devoid of much further choice, but a good life nonetheless.

-While it is possible to climb out of chaos, the first governments to be formed are generally tyrannies of one form or another (three cheers for having such desireable choices!). It takes several lifetimes to establish the infrastructure required for anything more advanced, and that is without significant interruption to progress, aka no civil wars for freedom or border conflicts for resources.

In the meantime, the tyrannical government would pretty much have to nuke its own population centers in order to match the incredible death toll that chaos promises. Hitler and Stalin would both look like saints compared to any person that did such a thing to the world and condemned so many billions to starve to death or die fighting for the last scraps of food and clean water.

Is this like an either or thing? If that's the case I'd take... I don't know really. I love my freedom (or whatever there still is of it) and I hate with a passion tyranny and authoritarianism. At the same time too much freedom... well... let me take that back, too much freedom with ignorant, un-wise and foolish people running around can lead to chaos. Still don't know which one I'd pick if I had to.

Another "zombie scenario case" where people choose chaos because they believe they'd somehow rise up and live off the land and some such.

While both are utterly terrible and it's pretty much up to a (rigged) coin toss as to whether you even live comfortably in either case, My normal answer would be tyranny, keep your head down, support the resistance anonymously while chanting "all hail our [insert governing body] overlords", don't be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Of course, if I get caught into chaos, I would probably become a serial killer because when there aren't any rules, why do I have to play the good guy anymore?

Blablahb:

DANEgerous:

Okay gotta note here that Anarchy is not synonymous with chaos. It doesn't mean no order. There are still rules and laws, just no central governing body.

You know you have played to much Warhammer when you read the topic as "Chaos or Tyranids"...

To be honest I think I would go for tyranny mainly because it can potentially mean you have a stable life. Sure you are not free to do whatever you want but it can still be stable.

Chaos, which I reads as anarchy can never be stable, and your life and posesions are constantly under threat.

I went with tyranny. It is a difficult enough choice though. But I feel that at least with tyranny, there is a chance at a normal enough life for most humans. With chaos, a far smaller percentage of the human race would survive. And many that did would probably be far worse off than if they were living under a tyrant.

I'd take chaos. I far prefer the thought of dying free than living without freedom, even if I'm not directly impacted by a tyrannical government infringing on my rights. Assuming those two choices and only those two choice, a society permanently in chaos is the only moral society.

Also, I don't believe that without things like the rule of law or strong leaders that people would start murdering each other just because they could. Those sorts of things tend to happen on a much larger scale because of strong leaders, not because of their absence.

Tyranny for the simple reason that people wouldn't be throwing Molotov's at me. I'd just keep to myself and fly under the radar.

That's actually a good question. But in the end, Chaos. I'm willing to take freedom and the bad things that come with it over the safety and slavery of tyranny.

Both suck. If I had to choose, I'd go with chaos; at least there would be a chance that I might get left alone if I minded my own business, rather than being imprisoned, tortured, and/or executed because I was simply "perceived" as being against the status quo.

But it's very difficult to get anything meaningful done in a state of real chaos, including many of the things we take for granted in our day-to-day survival. Too often chaos just turns into a tyranny of the strongest.

I'd definitely prefer tyranny, as any proper ankh-morporkian should know.

While tyranny has its obvious threats, as everybody has pointed out, it also has the benefits of food, water, shelter, electricity, protection from roving bandits, and even most likely the Escapist.

Another issue being that in the long term, chaos turns into a tyranny anyway, except that it's guaranteed to be brutal, since it will be whoever can gain control of the area, i.e. the most brutal group of bandits.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked