can anyone recommend me a sport?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I play video games, browse the internet, go trekking (occasionally) and enjoy cadets but i really want to get into another sport to stay fit (endurance and cardio-vasculer main preferably with some muscular power involved) and have some fun, the only sports ive previously played and enjoyed is football but I really dont enjoy it in a club atmosphere (I just like to play with some mates) and ive had experience with a range of sports from ju-jitsu to rugby to cross country running but none of them have jelled quite like cadets did (ive been doing it for 3 years know and i am planning on joining the army post uni) and I was wondering if anyone on the escapist could give me a few suggestions

im 17 and live in north Yorkshire (near york) if that helps

also im semi considering basketball if anyone can shed any light on what that's like, and was interested in the whole MMA/UFC thing but couldnt find a club close to were I live

beer pong... the sport of kings!

I concur... beer pong! You want to be in shape and round is a shape :)

Horseback riding is good if you can afford it. It may not seem like much, but it does actually give you a good all around workout. I've been riding for many years and I have great cardio, strong legs, toned arms, and a fairly flat stomach ^_^ Seriously, a lot goes into riding a horse properly!

If horse riding isn't in the cards, there's jogging, maybe tennis, parkour, or perhaps basket ball. :3

I hope I helped a little :D

Mountain Biking and Kayaking are always enjoyable past-times. You can combine the two as well like some kind of triathalon by going for a run after. Should put you in very good shape.

As a long-time hockey player (field, not ice), I've got to plug the game a bit. It's fast-paced, keeps you fit and played by clubs all around the country. It's not as widely popular as football or other sports, so you can get to play at a better level than you might do starting out on a different sport.
If you dislike team sports, I'd recommend either biking or a water sport of some kind.

Baseball. Because it's just so much fun. Unless you end up a DH. Because being a DH sucks.

Endurance, Cardio & Muscle Power? Parkour all the way. Plus you don't have to have any special equipment.

As for Basketball, it always depends on who you're playing with. Some people are awesome team players, some people can't pass for crap. But if you play, it will help with hand-eye coordination and cardio. It will also help your leg muscles as you're always jumping and moving to block.

Marter:
Baseball. Because it's just so much fun. Unless you end up a DH. Because being a DH sucks.

What's a DH? Dumb Hick? Donkey Humper? Double handed... I kinda know the sport of baseball through "little league," but I haven't heard DH.

How long did you try jiu-jitsu? I find martial arts in general to be the most rewarding "sport" out there, but Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (if that's what we're talking about) takes a little while to really get into. Once you do it's a total blast, it's like a combat game where the goal is to break the other guys neck :P

Marter:

I concur being the DH does suck a lot. I at least had the prowess to play Short Stop and right field and I was a pretty good defensive player. It was the only thing that made me valuable to the team since I had a .050 batting average...... Little league is serious business >.>

I would recommend most martial arts but if you really want to get fit, I would suggest Muay Thai. If you find a good club, it will be hard going and intensive but you will get fit (and learn some interesting techniques).

Fun Fact: My first Muay Thai Class, they worked me so hard I threw up...finished the session though!

LARP.

It's excellent cardio, rarely results in injury and is one of the cheaper activities available. $22 can purchase a veritable armoury of boffer weapons.

But if you want a mainstream sport I would suggest baseball. It's light but intense, and again, very cheap to get into so if you decide you don't like it you'll have only spent like a hundred bucks on the bat and glove.

museofdoom:
Horseback riding is good if you can afford it. It may not seem like much, but it does actually give you a good all around workout. I've been riding for many years and I have great cardio, strong legs, toned arms, and a fairly flat stomach ^_^ Seriously, a lot goes into riding a horse properly!

Horses hate me.

My uncle had a farm when I was a wee lad and he put me on one of his horses.

2 seconds later I was lying face down in the mud. The bugger had thrown me off.

Lass I used to go to school with had a horse. She used to ride up the country lanes. I was driving up to a friends on said lane one day and bumped into her (not literally, it's a bloody big horse it would have killed my car) so I stopped for chat. The big bloody animal was giving me the look that said "if I had hands, i'd be punching you right now".

I recommend cricket, solely because I play it and more people should.

I would definitely recommend basketball. It is one of the easiest sports to just start a pick up game of. yes, I did just finish a sentence with a preposition All you need is a ball and a hoop, and as everyone attacks and defends, you don't have people bickering over what position they want to play. Also, even if you aren't the most coordinated person, you can still become a fairly decent player.

Fencing.
An elegant sport for a more civilised age.
Plus, you'll be able to watch Game of Thrones' duels with knowledge of how the moves are done.

If you're planning to join the army, boxing or kickboxing. You'll breeze through self-defense training (which is basically kickboxing and one or two throws added) and milling will be like 'oh, this again, easy'.

Don't get into MMA, because they're jacks of all trades and masters of none.

King of Asgaard:
Fencing.
An elegant sport for a more civilised age.
Plus, you'll be able to watch Game of Thrones' duels with knowledge of how the moves are done.

Ninja'd D:<

Capoeira? That'll get your muscles built fast, you'll learn some interesting techniques and work your body in different ways. Great cardio too.

Try Australian Rules Football. You don't need to play competitively, just get some friends together and have some fun. Buy a ball off eBay, they're fairly cheap and get some sticks or use trees as goals.

EDIT: Here is a video:

smithy_2045:
I recommend cricket, solely because I play it and more people should.

Seconded.

Alternatively, how about a racquet sport. Squash is a particularly good workout.

I was going to say jiu jitsu, but seeing how you've already tried that...

Fencing?
It looks fun.

go play some squash. It's a killer work out.

If it's there wrestling. Wrestling is likely the more intense workout your gonna get. And as far as doing it with friend's it's probably the best get to know people sport around since teams never get that large.

Swimming is really good if you get the technique down, definitely builds up your physique. Otherwise running or cycling? There's some pretty good scenery round Yorkshire.

Dogging FTW

I used to never really enjoy physical activity becaues sports bored me. I've found a few things that I enjoyed though. I loved going hiking in cadets. Martial arts can be a lot of fun. Don't take it for self defense, but I once did karate, and recently picked up wushu, which is great (any good class will have a lot of stretching and fitness stuff, as well as the martial arts part) and so can be a pretty serious workout.

Also most recently is ice skating. I just go with a few friends, it is a lot of fun. Also rock climbing. I can't vouch for it, having never been, but I hear it's good.

Soccer.

When i was in high school, i played several sports but soccer had the most rigorous training. 2 a days where the morning session was 3 hours of conditioning, a soccer pitch is a big place.

Modern Pentathalon (show jumping, epee fencing, pistol sharpshooting, cross country running, freestyle swimming)

Never have so many obscure and unpopular sports been combined into one even more obscure and even more unpopular sport.

overpuce:
Endurance, Cardio & Muscle Power? Parkour all the way. Plus you don't have to have any special equipment.

As for Basketball, it always depends on who you're playing with. Some people are awesome team players, some people can't pass for crap. But if you play, it will help with hand-eye coordination and cardio. It will also help your leg muscles as you're always jumping and moving to block.

Marter:

What's a DH? Dumb Hick? Donkey Humper? Double handed... I kinda know the sport of baseball through "little league," but I haven't heard DH.

Designated hitter. You hit the ball... and that's about it.

It won't do as much for your cardio as some of the others suggested, but rock-climbing. It's a fantastic strength/endurance exercise and strengthens your core like crazy. Of course, I don't live anywhere that has good climbing, but rock gyms are starting to become more common. Still drive about 60 miles to go to mine though :/

I do fencing. It's good exercise, but be warned, it's absolute murder on your legs.

Airsoft is great fun. Expensive though, and depending on your style of play, it too can fuck up your legs. They will get sronger though, you'll get fitter, and in what other sport can you experience such badass moments as charging an enemy position, powersliding past their cover and gunning them down with an SMG? Without getting the death penalty anyway.

If you have access to a track (I know Donington Park and Brands hatch have open days) you could get into bike racing. At first you just go out for 5-10 laps at a time (believe me this is a workout) and when the guys feel your up to it you can start racing in amateur leagues on 125cc bikes. Haven't raced yet but the track days are awesome..If you have a bike, I would reccomend this as a sport. You will never bored, guaranteed and not that expensive once you have all the gear.

overpuce:

Seconded. All you need is walls, maybe some railings and buildings near you.
I don't think anything will give you more endurance and muscle power than constantly pulling yourself up walls while still being fun.

Basketball is a fantastic sport. You will be moving the entire time, and if you play full court, you will be running a lot, so it's an excellent cardio sport. Maybe not as much running as football/soccer, but more changing directions and sprinting. If you play near the basket, you will be shoving people out of the way to get rebounds, which takes a lot of strength to get in position. A lot of jumping too, which is good exercise. With a little practice, a reasonably coordinated person can pick up dribbling and making layups and short jump shots pretty quickly. The rest should come pretty naturally.

Kendo! that counts as a sport? right?

if not then FENCING!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked