A Question to Americans (Political)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Ok, first of all:
I don't intend to offend anyone, if anyone seems ofended by this thread i would like him to tell me that and i will do my best to remove the offending parts and will keep in mind to avoid that mistake in future posts.

It's about Republicans. While the first goals of this party were very very good (No Slavery), most goals they seem to have today are based on keeping everything the way it is and to sabotage a real development of society.
It all seems old and a little bit backward.
Now i want to say i am by far not an expert on the matter. I am not republican, i am not even American.
Maybe i am seeing things in this party that aren't there, but that is just my impression for now.

So what i am basically asking is:
Why is this party getting votes?
This seems quite offensive, but i really am curious. If their not that bad than i thing they are, then please tell me that (As long as were staying reasonable).
It just seems, when i am looking at (for example) popular media from America, like tv series or music, then you could get the impression that everybody hates republicans.
But they still get many votes.

I hope anyone can tell me where i am wrong here, or what i am not seeing.

I've been wondering about the same thing.

From what I can tell from across the pond, it is really quite baffling that anyone would actually vote for that party.

I mean... they're presenting Rick Santorum as a legitimate candidate for president. That's just nuts.

from my understanding its 2 factors
1. barrack obama was a really shit president
2. republicans have the Christian (cough nut case cough) backing which is pretty big in MERICA

also its pretty much a choice of fucked or fucked (we have a similar choice in england every 4 years)

Republicans all seem to have their own crazy quirk too, with many of them being completely insane. Aren't they all against gays as well, in a country that has loads of them? (I'm remembering that from American Dad so could be wrong)

My impression of Obama is that while the rest of the world thinks he is superman, to Americans he is like Nick Clegg and didn't deliver on any of his promises to fix the economy or whatever.

Ron Swanson for president!

The entire American political system confuses me, I'll admit (a system where inner-party conflict is a foundation of the system, bwuh?), but the Republicans are the thing that confuse me the most.

America is a lot more right-wing than Britain, even your "left-wing" party is probably closer to the Conservatives (our right-wing party) than Labour (our left-wing party). The Republicans though, they're nuts. They're like the BNP, or, if I'm feeling more charitable, UKIP (BNP, but toned down a bit). If a party like the Republicans stood here, they'd never get a seat, not a chance.

The other thing that confuses me about American politics is the way you sort of idolise your presidents. You've got memorials and statues and everything! We just don't do that here, our favourite primeminister is probably Churchill, but he doesn't have a statue or anything.

xSKULLY:
2. republicans have the Christian (cough nut case cough) backing which is pretty big in MERICA

also its pretty much a choice of fucked or fucked (we have a similar choice in england every 4 years)

He actually is doing pretty well considering what he has to work with. It doesn't help that all the republicans in congress/senate have been doing everything in their power to be a hindrance to him. Add in that we were already in a bad place when he came into office and he is at least average. He hasn't royally fucked anything up, but neither has he done anything outstanding(not for lack of trying though). People are blaming Obama for mistakes that are not his. He is doing clean up from the past several presidencies and people are treating those mistakes he is trying to fix like he was the one who made them.

The second point you hit dead on though.

Honestly, I am hoping Obama gets a second run. The other candidates are all just terrible. I mean just take an issue of gay rights for example. Now look at the candidates and what their stands on it are. They just aren't good. If anyone else gets elected America is going to be stagnate for awhile.

A good portion of Republicans are religious nutjobs that really support spending trillions of dollars killing brown people. Then again, so do most Democrats on the federal level. Both support the war on drugs, too. Shit kinda sucks.

As far as the citizenry goes, there is also a great deal of people who identify with Republicans because *real* conservatism is about less federal government spending and involvement, and so will vote Republican despite nearly all current Republicans being just as spend-thrifty as Democrats except with homophobia tacked on. These voters don't recognize that the Libertarian Party even exists, which should be the true counter to the Democratic party.

(Also, anyone that tries to say that Obama is better or worse than Santorum or Romney is sadly disillusioned. They're all equally terrible in all issues that a President has power over. Edit: Actually, Santorum is a total joke, scratch him)

Fiad:

xSKULLY:

He actually is doing pretty well considering what he has to work with. It doesn't help that all the republicans in congress/senate have been doing everything in their power to be a hindrance to him. Add in that we were already in a bad place when he came into office and he is at least average. He hasn't royally fucked anything up, but neither has he done anything outstanding(not for lack of trying though). People are blaming Obama for mistakes that are not his. He is doing clean up from the past several presidencies and people are treating those mistakes he is trying to fix like he was the one who made them.

The second point you hit dead on though.

Honestly, I am hoping Obama gets a second run. The other candidates are all just terrible. I mean just take an issue of gay rights for example. Now look at the candidates and what their stands on it are. They just aren't good. If anyone else gets elected America is going to be stagnate for awhile.

im hoping for Obama to, what annoys me about him is that he only delivered a small amount of what he promised he would and he did pass the occasional terrible law (being able to hold some one indefinitely without trial) but when I look at the alternative....(shudders)

Amaror:
It's about Republicans. While the first goals of this party were very very good (No Slavery), most goals they seem to have today are based on keeping everything the way it is and to sabotage a real development of society.
Now i want to say i am by far not an expert on the matter. I am not Republican, i am not even American.
Maybe i am seeing things in this party that aren't there, but that is just my impression for now.

First of all today's republican party has NOTHING to do with the party that believed in abolition. They have the same name and THAT'S IT! If today's Republican's were around back then they'd be the ones saying the government didn't have the right to interfere with American business practices and calling slavery the staple of american capitalism. These fucks are just the same exploitative doubters and haters that always existed in human society. The Modern Republican party are really just anarchists in denial with one small difference: They think that the government's only role is to shoot foreigners and imprison criminals/minorities. All their other 'principles' are simply what is most convenient for them to say at the time: I don't wanna manage my factory's carbon emissions or pay employee healthcare, so I'll just move plant to China and blame extreme weather patterns on Gay marriage.

Jonluw:
I've been wondering about the same thing.

From what I can tell from across the pond, it is really quite baffling that anyone would actually vote for that party.

I mean... they're presenting Rick Santorum as a legitimate candidate for president. That's just nuts.

You'd be surprised what people are willing to put up with as long as you've found Jesus and let them blame all their problems on "big government" and Communist, Kenyan Nazi Muslims who want to take your guns. Remember everyone who's darker than you wants to kill you and rape your daughter!

Republicans now =/= Republicans during the Civil War. Our political parties have shifted back and forth throughout the centuries so trying to make that comparison now will only serve to confuse you more.

As for why they get votes? Republicans represent more than religious nujobs and societal stagnation. Many Republicans call themselves Republicans because they value capitalism and small government. You can make similar arguments to give the Democrats some credit too. Unfortunately many of the politicians on capital hill are all nutjobs and our broadcast media is full of morons, so its no wonder people get the wrong idea about our parties.

Honestly, I'm an independent that is socially liberal and economically conservative, so I don't really fall nicely into one camp or the other, and I don't think people should feel they have too anyway. I've always resented the two party system as it is far too polarizing and makes people feel the need to compromise their beliefs in order to fit into the mold of their party.

TL;DR Republicans look crazy on the news, but the politicians you see spouting garbage, whether they be Republican or Democratic, are hardly representative of everyone in their party.

Also, because someone mentioned them... I have more respect for the Libertarian Party than any other party in our system. I don't count myself as one of them, but I respect that they stand by their ideas and don't flip-flop when the chips are down. You know what they stand for and their is no bullshit to get in the way.

As an American who's watched the process for many years...

The Repuclican "base" is made up of a few core groups, the very wealthy who seek to stay that way, the ultra-religious who want to turn the country into a purely religious based theocracy, and the poorly educated who buy into the "if I help the rich stay that way then I'll have it better when *I* get to be ultra-rich" not realizing that the system is stacked so overwhelmingly against them. These are the people that helped elect Bush Jr. because the Republicans were able to convince them that their little town no one has ever heard of was a prime target for terrorism.

Meanwhile the Democrats and Republicans have both taken such a "us vs them" mentality that if one side tried to pass an initiative declaring the color of the sky BLUE the other would fillibuster because it wasn't from their side. They treat the political system like a football game and try to do more to stop "the other side" than actually trying to get real work done that it's exasperating. Many Republicans come right out and admit that they wanted to stall all progress in order to make the President look bad and improve the chances of one of their own being able to win the next election.

Because the ones that actually get elected are almost universally not crazy? Romney has his faults, but all in all he's a pretty moderate guy. The same can be said of Bush despite all slander to the contrary. I'd also say the same of every Democrat that has been elected in recent years. I'd say we haven't had a truly crazy president since LBJ, and a truly terrible one since Nixon. If you're talking about the radicals like motherfucking Santorum, well that's because he's a radical. He's pretty far out there, as you most obviously can tell. There are some pretty nuts people among the Democrats too, Edwards was pretty fucked up in his own way. The truth of the matter is that both parties run candidates that are far less different than you would like to believe, and judging either party by their crazier members makes no sense.

As for how the Republican party has changed over the years, Theodore Roosevelt can be thanked for most of it, as well as Reagan. Neither party has changed too much from their early years. Democrats were originally the party of the poor white man and eventually added immigrants to that while Republicans were for the business man. Teddy added war to their firmly held beliefs, FDR added it to the Democrats while his wife tried to get the Democrats to support minorities. Kennedy added to that belief in supporting minorities, while he and LBJ were some of the most hawkish presidents ever. Nixon backed away from supporting minorities to get support of southern moderate Democrats, which worked, though Nixon's promises to halt civil rights were obviously impossible to fulfill, meaning he probably never intended to deliver on them and really just cared about foreign affairs. Reagan was the one who really changed the Republican party by focusing on a large military budget, support of business, and lower taxes, while also supporting conservative morals. This is all a major generalization of course.

Also, to those saying that Republicans only win through religious support, how come their the ones running the religious minority this year (in the eyes of many Americans Romney is just that) and ran the less religious candidate last year? Christianity is central to both parties, their views on secularism are what truly divide the parties, though not as much as it would seem.

Edit: I forgot to add that Democrats became the more peaceful party around the Jimmy Carter era, though the party is anything but pacifistic and still supports a greater level of military spending than I personally consider reasonable.

Edit2: Both sides fear monger like fucking crazy. Both sides will fear monger about every issue that arises, and it works on both sides. Both sides pander to conspiracy theorist types, just about opposing issues. Neither side has clean hands when it comes to this, and I am so tired of people saying Republicans are the only ones who do this.

The Republican Party has in the years since I started to care pushed a brand of fear on America. Fear of change, immigrants and moral degradation. They prey on fear and use this to push a backwards agenda recalling a time when it was still 1950 and America had the biggest "stick". They long to return to an era where America was strong, Christian, white and straight. That about sums up the douchebaggery of Republican Party.

Republicans have one simple message that they push very effectively. They are friends of the successful rich and powerful wouldn't when your rich and powerful (not like those people you look down on) you like a friend in government?

See its that there are several things they sell exceedingly well without it being very true.

-The Powerful and Wealthy all deserve it and have earned it by virtue of wit and hard work.
-You Deserve it and thus you'll become powerful and wealthy.
-Those people you don't like, we don't like.

Amaror:
snip

The Republican party is not one completely unified block. You have your Fiscal Conservatives, less taxes and less government spending. Your Social Conservatives, "Christian" values and they favor using the government and the courts enforce their standards of morality on the population. You have your Libertarians that want a free society with little to no government. You have your States Rights folks that want the United States to be more of a confederation. There are more but these are the main ones. Every thinks of the Social Conservatives when they think of the Republican party because they, right now, seem to have the most power. That is because, not only are they the loudest (and the American media loves the loudest) but they are the largest group that votes in a block. They are not the largest group, that would be the Fiscal Conservatives, but the Social Conservatives are the ones that show up on voting day, in fact the Socials would crawl though lava to put one of their own in the White House. The others are not so fanatical.

I am a Libertarian, so when I went to my caucus (in Iowa "first in the nation!") the Fiscals won in my district with Mitt Romney, and don't let any one fool you he IS a Fiscal Conservative, most of the Social things he talks about it pandering to get votes. Mitt will jettison most of that in the general election. The Libertarians got second with Ron Paul and the Socials had Rick Santorum in third, but Rick won the over all caucus by just 34 bloody votes. The States Righters had Rick Perry but he dropped out.

Hope this helps a bit. If you have any more questions just ask them!

Look up Neo-Conservatism. That is what they modern Republican party is. My political beliefs are a bit all over the place. I took one of those political compass tests and I was dead-fucking-center. Not liberal, not conservative, not anarchic, not authoritarian.

I'm not neutral though. Individual positions can probably place me on all extremes. In the whole though, I have no place to call my own :(

Amaror:
Ok, first of all:
I don't intend to offend anyone, if anyone seems ofended by this thread i would like him to tell me that and i will do my best to remove the offending parts and will keep in mind to avoid that mistake in future posts.

Now i want to say i am by far not an expert on the matter. I am not republican, i am not even American.

This seems quite offensive, but i really am curious. If their not that bad than i thing they are, then please tell me that (As long as were staying reasonable).
It just seems, when i am looking at (for example) popular media from America, like tv series or music, then you could get the impression that everybody hates republicans.

Don't worry... I AM AN AMERICAN.

The Republican and Democratic parties are pretty much polar opposites and while any one from any party is allowed to win it will be a republican or democrat so you vote for which one most closely mirrors your beliefs.

THE DESCRIPTIONS...

Republicans
>Large religious backing
>Conservative budgeting philosophy
>Emphasis on small government (see conservative budgeting philosophy)
>Emphasis on personal rights (self-defense/home-defense)
>Pro-firearm
>Pro-military/defense budget

Democrats
>Large college student backing
>Social budgeting policy (socialized medicine)
>Emphasis on big government (expanded welfare)
>Emphasis on government rights (socialized stuff)
>Anti-firearm (see the "assault weapons ban" 1994)
>Want to drastically reduce military and defense budget

If you want me to explain anything just let me know.

*Off topic- To sound less bised in your OP remove phrases like:

>most goals they seem to have today are based on keeping everything the way it is
>sabotage a real development of society
>If their not that bad than i thing they are

They kind of degreade your credibiliity when you say yourself that you have no idea what Republicans are about.

Amaror:

I'll send you to a link that explains it better than I can:

http://beeryblog.wordpress.com/2012/04/08/serving-romney-applebee-independents-and-the-gutless-wonder/

This is the best explanation I have ever seen for the poor state of American politics:

The average American is just that - average. You communicate with him at the gut level - beer gut. You communicate with him where that gut is made - on the bar stool at the local Applebee's. That's politics.

Read the whole article, it's fascinating.

I think Dragonclaw pretty much summed up the gist of it. As to why so many of the current candidates seem crazier than usual, I think it has to do with the heavy resentment towards the Obama administration. Obama came into office under so much post-Bush relief that he even won a Nobel Prize pretty much for just not being Bush. I think this caused the Republican party to become a bit bitter, so trashing the new administration became to popular even if it didn't make sense(see the whole Obama Birth Certificate thing, for which I'm still ashamed). The extreme-right crazies flourished under this system and now they're the ones pretty much running the party.

It's basically that Republicans have the vote of the hardcore Christians who want nothing more than to see their religious views become law so they can oppress whoever they want.

Amaror:
Ok, first of all:

wrong, the goal of the republican party is to keep traditional moral values part of mainstream america while promoting economic freedom. Dont not confuse a progressive or NeoConservative as an actual republican (also, for anyone about to pull a 'no true scotsman', shut up.)

then id probably recommend doing more further research from a non biased information source.

to be fair, thats the majority of american politics.

because people tend to like traditional values and economic freedom.

This seems quite offensive, but i really am curious.

its not offensive, your asking a legit question.

If their not that bad than i thing they are, then please tell me that (As long as were staying reasonable).

see above. :D

there is the problem, the vast majority of the american media is blindly left wing. except for fox obviously. In actuality democrats are just as equally hated if not more so, more people in America consider themselves right winged (republicans are the right winged party) than left winged. Alot come from the counter culture of george bush's administration, just like how you're seeing a huge back lash against Obama (though that may be because Obama is pretty terrible, not to say Bush was a saint or anything)

mostly because most american carry a religious background of some sort and support a freemarket, while alot of republicans in office today are batshit insane (like democrats) we still have quite a few who do truly want to do good and lean more towards a libertarian side, Marco Rubio, Ron Paul, Goldwater (whos dead). and we like a strong military and suppport our troops mentality because it makes us feel not weak, personal responsibility, and fiscal responsibility. Also, guns....but thats a different matter.

its not wrong to ask a question.

but i must insist, parties are to general to lump a politician in. what you should know is that there are a few types of politicians:

classical liberal and conservative, which are very similar to each other except on a few key issues but both supported limited government rolls for the most part. Closer to libertarian-ism.
Progressive: a type of liberal who fits the stereotype of anti-troop, gun control, hippie who knows jack squat about economics and borders on socialism, anti racist unless its against whites, bans things it doesnt like while legalizing things it does, hypocritical....avoid at all cost and dont listen to them. very authoritarian.
NeoConservative: the progressive of the right, a post cold war execute everyone misinformed imperialist who thinks everyone should be exactly like him. very authoritarian, avoid at all cost, do not talk to.
Libertarian: one who meets classical liberals and conservatives in the middle to support personal freedoms and economic freedom. the extreme form is thought to be anarchy, but is not the case, usually a level headed person, is starting to grow a larger following. i suggest reading up on this.

now thats a more broad description of some political ideals we have here. and unfortunately the majority are NeoCons and Progressives
the democratic party may harbor any above and the republican party may hold any above.
its never black and white and i suggest that you dont let the American media make any decision for you.

I've been wondering this for a while. A couple of reasons why and here they are

1) President Obama was not the president he promised he would be and republicans and republican news sources (Fox News) have been ripping him to shreds on the smallest of things.

2) The vast majority of Republicans are Christian so they have the christian vote.

3) Many people in the U.S of A don't believe in global climate change or global warming or whatever you call it and therefore vote for the people who don't believe in it either.

4) The Republicans are using a fear mongering of sorts to win votes from the people. If they see anything that has even the most remote thing to do with something they don't believe in they will go to fox news and ask them to do a report on it. People on this site should know especially what fox news can do to something.

And those are the reasons why republicans are still considered politicians.

xSKULLY:

Hey, in Scotland we have a choice between fucked, fucked or Alex Salmond.

As a Republican I can tell you that the "real social progress" you are talking about is socialism, and the conservatives of America believe in nothing more than a free market system for the economy and a reduced government size in order to maintain the freedoms that we as Americans share. As Obama has proven he doesn't really give a shit about our freedoms and is attempting to mandate that all Americans must buy health care.

doomspore98:
4) The Republicans are using a fear mongering of sorts to win votes from the people. If they see anything that has even the most remote thing to do with something they don't believe in they will go to fox news and ask them to do a report on it. People on this site should know especially what fox news can do to something.

Maybe you should pay attention so more of Obama's speeches, he is the one fear mongering, like the whole if we don't pass the stimulus the economy will completely collapse bullshit. But on the other hand yes the Republicans do fear monger, both sides do its called politics.

Amaror:
Ok, first of all:

The same reason people vote for radical Christian parties in Europe that are even more racist and crazier than the Republican party. Because they're that Conservative.

Amaror:

Ok first off I'm going to assume your country has many parties representing different ideologies. In America there are many different factions and ideologies which both parties organize into their coalition, thus people from the same party may not necessarily agree with each other which is most apparent with the Democrats than the Republicans with their remnants of their old Southern Conservative backing (which is rather ironic because they were founded by Southern Conservatives). In General the Democrats threw the women's rights advocates on board along with Minority rights groups along with the number of Liberals who support them, while the Republicans took in the Conservatives.

Secondly right now they're not they're just getting a candidate put forth, and the one's who is winning is Mitt Romney who I admire for being the most competent of the bunch.

Amaror:

That is because they're mainly from California specifically Hollywood, thus they have a strong liberal leaning. States like Tennessee, South Carolina aren't cultural centers. Although that's not to say Conservatives don't come from California and Liberals don't come from the South, in fact Ronald Reagan and Richard Nixon are from California while Bill Clinton is from Arkansas, Jimmy Carter from Georgia and Linden B. Johnson from Texas (I'm hoping he's not too obscure oversea's though, if you don't know him he was basically the President who pushed all of Kennedy's idea's through for Civil Rights healthcare and more)

Amaror:

This is because the average person on the gaming sites tends to be a sheltered middle class liberal, thus you don't get so much input from the Republican voters.

A lot of Republicans believe in traditional values or traditionalism and find anything new or progressive to be threatening to their comfortable way of life. It appears as if a lot of people hate Republicans because there aren't that many of them on the internet. There is not so much a liberal bias on the internet as there is more liberals expressing their viewpoint. The same goes for television shows and other forms of media.

The ones who are fundamentalist Christians like Rick Santorum offen say things that come across as offensive or backwards. It seems as if they are largely in charge of the party lately.

There is a similar but different movement called Libertarianism that offers a secular view of society based on freedoms and rights which does not adhere to traditional values and openly embraces people of all races, creeds, and sexual orientation. I am one of those. I don't like people telling me what to do. Especially crybaby liberals or bible thumping conservatives.

I'm republican in that I am conservative, I am conservative in that I believe the Government should spend less money, therefore tax less, and stay out of everyone's business.

The original idea for the U.S. was that a large sample of varying viewpoints would come together, reach consensus on what was best for everyone, and then do that. What happened over time is that folks of "similar" viewpoints realized that if they work together, they can have a bigger say. Eventually, it distilled down to two "general" viewpoints, and anything in the middle becoming largely irrelevant.

This generated loyalty for some, and apathy for the rest. That's why a 56.8% voter turnout at the 2008 Presidential election was "record-breaking". We haven't had voter turnout above 60% since the freaking 60's.

If a republican or democrat wins an election with 50% of the vote, they still only represent 25% of the total population.

So, if I want to sign on for less spending and less taxation, I have to sign on with all the other little pet bullshit other "republicans" want, or I might as well not play at all. If I don't play at all, however, that's one vote less against the democrats; and I couldn't give a shit less about any of their bullshit either, except that most of it requires more government spending and more taxation.

As for the candidates, I just try to pick the least crazy of them. All republican candidates have to be "anti-abortion", "anti-gay", and "anti-whatever", even if they actually don't care and won't do anything about it if elected. However, if they don't take a stance on these issues, they lose their constituency. I'm leaning Romney right now, it seems his stance is set on relevant matters, but he still has to mention the other bullshit to keep his votes up. Like, "Fix the economy!... what? oh, yeah, well, straight marriage is good, yes, okay... but about this foreign policy... huh? oh, sure, abortion bad, but about these taxes...". Of course, lately he's been getting into the old "yeah, and Obama sucks!" train, but apparently slandering the opposition is also part of the game on both sides.

It's a terrible, retarded, "us vs them" system; where it is about "winning" and "losing". The democrats present something useful, and the republicans have to tear it down on principle. The republicans present something useful, and the democrats have to tear it down on principle. The independents and third parties present something useful, and no one gives a crap. I don't know how to break it without a huge cultural change in the U.S., but until that time, I gotta play the shitty game by the shitty rules.

Amaror:

First off, political threads go in the Politics and Religion section.

Now, what I think you don't realize is that while you see all the bile spewed about Republicans/Conservatives on TV and this so called "popular media", that is because the majority of that media is controlled by the Democrats/Liberals, the thing is that while they have that majority there, they do not have the majority in the country as a whole.

I know of a lot of Republicans that didn't vote for McCain in the last election, because they didn't like him. These Republicans most likely didn't vote, or voted for the Third Party Libertarian candidate Bob Barr.

Now I voted for McCain, because I looked at the situation as voting for the lesser of two evils. I liked Bob Barr, but I knew he wouldn't win, so I knew I had to back McCain, even though I knew in some respects he was almost as bad a choice for president as Obama.

The thing I saw was that while McCain shared some crazy ideas that Obama had, I knew how McCain worked, and he works incredibly slow, so I knew in four years he wouldn't be able to complete the crap that Obama has put into place now.

Since Republicans have the majority in the country, if they all had been like me, McCain would have beat Obama, and we wouldn't have all this crap that Obama has put out to set this country back, and astray from its founding principles.

Basically, you know how they say that you can't believe everything you see on TV, well you can't be looking at television to make your assumptions on how and why people vote. The majority of television is controlled by the Liberal minority.

TrilbyWill:

xSKULLY:

Hey, in Scotland we have a choice between fucked, fucked or Alex Salmond.

So fucked, fucked or braveheart politics then.

As for the main point, from an outside perspective you have to remember that there are 313 million people in the USA, spread over almost 10 million square kilometres, their opinions will not all be the same.

liquidsolid:
A lot of Republicans believe in traditional values or traditionalism and find anything new or progressive to be threatening to their comfortable way of life. It appears as if a lot of people hate Republicans because there aren't that many of them on the internet. There is not so much a liberal bias on the internet as there is more liberals expressing their viewpoint. The same goes for television shows and other forms of media.

The ones who are fundamentalist Christians like Rick Santorum offen say things that come across as offensive or backwards. It seems as if they are largely in charge of the party lately.

There is a similar but different movement called Libertarianism that offers a secular view of society based on freedoms and rights which does not adhere to traditional values and openly embraces people of all races, creeds, and sexual orientation. I am one of those. I don't like people telling me what to do. Especially crybaby liberals or bible thumping conservatives.

I'm not saying Libertarianism is bad, I pretty much agree with all of it. But I would say that the Libertarian third party candidates are the reason why Democrats/Liberals are able to win as many races as they do.

If it was in existence, and all conservatives voted straight Republican every time, since conservatives are a majority in this country, Democrats would only win in areas that actually have a real majority of liberals, and that is actually a very small amount of places. If the conservative vote wasn't split in presidential elections, Democrats would never win, because in reality, they would only be able to win a handful, ten at the most, states.

If the win was based on how many states a candidate has won, then Democrats would never win, because I can't say that I've seen an election where Democrats held the majority of the states.

The whole thought of political parties in general is bogus. I'll vote for who I share more opinions with. Some years I might vote for a republican president, others I might vote for a democrat. I don't give a damn what party they belong to.

George Washington didn't say not to form political parties for nothing, you know.

Yes, republicans have a large christian backing, but that's not the only factor by far.
They get a lot of support from businesses and the rich because they support lowering taxes
They have a lot of support from people who dislike intellectuals, because a lot of republican candidates tend to portray themselves as less intelligent than they (probably) are.

Ok if your getting your information from TV that is a terrible source, simply because it's biased one way or the other. People saying Republicans are anti-immigration, anti-race, etc don't know what they are talking about. For instance I'm listed as a Republican but I don't agree with everything our party does, and you will rarely find a person that is strictly right or left, opinions differ from side to side but the media tends to portray people as insane supporters that only listen to whatever their side says.

The thing that drives me nuts that both parties are at fault in is that when one party votes one thing the other party vetos it out of fucking principle regardless of the issue. The Democrats could vote that we let the country breathe air and the Republicans would vote against it and try to suffocate everyone, or the Republicans could vote that keeping people alive by not burning them was good and the Democrats would veto it and set about burning the country down. It's retarded. We need a third party that could settle problems like this and then we wouldn't have so much bullshit going on.

Also with the whole corporations are legally viewed as citizens bullshit we have bigger issues to deal with.

xSKULLY:

So, there's this thing called a Super Majority. In the past, most bills were passed when the majority of the senate (over 51) voted yes. Bills were filibuster very rarely. And when a filibuster was in place, over 60 votes were needed in order to pass a bill. Now, EVERYTHING is filibustered.

It isn't so much that Obama is a bad president but it's that Congress is broken.

It's almost impossible for a bill to become law. There are other issues present, like the increasing direction of republican elected officials on positions considered extreme 10 - 20 years ago.

They are not bad people with evil motivations [insert joke here], but in order to get elected, you have to placate to the base. As a result, you don't see any moderate or liberal Republicans in office anymore (see Olympia Snow, one of the last moderates in the senate leaving this year).

Many topics that both parties were in agreement about can't work together because compromise now equals weakness. That makes the base angry and will lead to republican officials kicked out of office for be a "Rino", Republican In Name Only.

Even the most non-partisian events in the govenment is becoming increasingly partisan.

People get their news from more diverse sources. News radio and the Fox Network creates an echo chamber, so even if the "news" is false, it gets repeated often enough that core republican voters tend to believe this is the only true source of news. They can't trust news from any other source (ABC, NBC, CBS, BBC).

Add into the mix the unregulated contributions by rich individuals and corporations and the fact that most of elect officals' time are spent raising funds to be reelected, it's surprising anything gets done at all.

Most of the time the American Government works as a pentulum, swinging from one extreme to the next, finding balance through the checks and balances in place with the 3 estates.

Right now, the system is broken. There's no easy fix.

Republicans are awesome because they want to build a state on the moon.
Therefor Republicans == Space Nazi.

Joking aside most vote for Republicans because of promised lower taxes, less government involvement, and the fact that many Democrats are just as bad as republicans. They also pair themselves up with the often romanticized view of the American Dream many Americans have, and label the Democrats as pot smoking hippies (its true, many Americans believe what they see in American Dad, doesn't help that there are a lot of pot smoking hippies either).

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked