Do you want to marry someone?
Yes
51.9% (273)
51.9% (273)
No
34.8% (183)
34.8% (183)
I'm a strong black women that dosen't need no man.
9.1% (48)
9.1% (48)
Already married (and planning to stay that way)
3.8% (20)
3.8% (20)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Do you even want to get married?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I've seen many people on this website argue that they don't see any reason to get married or think that the legal strains it can cause out way the benefits. So it got me wondering, how many of you here plan to get married and how many are not.

I do want to get married someday, but I'm in no hurry. The time will come.

I actively plan on never getting married, as I know that it's quite easy to fall into that trap if you care strongly about someone. I just object strongly to the whole idea of it...if you truly care about your significant other and believe the relationship is built to last, why do you need to legally bind yourselves to each other? It seems really insecure...obviously I haven't been married so may be missing something of the experience.

I've got very little against people getting married if it comes across that way, I just don't see the point of it all.

I don't want to get married because I don't see the point in it. It's not a "commitment". It makes no difference whether or not you're married, so I'm not going to waste my own hard-earned money arranging some stupid ceremony and reduce my love for my partner into some legal contract due to outdated tradition, remarkably still prevalent in our society due to soap operas and sitcoms shovelling it into our faces like goddamn mashed potato.

And what if we get divorced? Then there's even more hassle with the cost and the legal bullshit.

Yes one day to my current girlfriend when we're out of university and financially stable. I have told her this. Before then we'll probably live together. There's plenty of time.

Well I've been engaged for a few years now.

We've decided that we want to be able to stand on our own 2 (4?) feet before we settle down, get married and have kids.

Have our own place, secure careers, that sort of thing.

I'd like to, but only if we're really damn sure it's going to last and only if we have money to spare. I'm not really into the idea of a massive wedding, but I still think it'd be a great thing to do so long as we acknowledge that marriage isn't the end goal. I think that's how a lot of people see marriage which is a big problem.

Marriage shouldn't be the end goal, there should be no end goal when it comes to meaningful relationships. You just know your life would not be complete without that person and you want to do something big to show you're reading to start spending the rest of your lifes together.

I don't plan to get married. I am married. I plan to stay that way.

I have no specific plans, but I sorta want to get married some day.

Could I ask those that want to get married...why? What difference does it make if you have some "official" paper telling you that you love each other? How is it a "commitment"? Is it just for legally convenient reasons (like the money and stuff), or religious reasons?

I literally don't understand it. Why would anyone, in this day and age, want to get married when you should just be able to love someone without having to throw some retarded ceremony for it?

Maybe, if I found the right person.
I certainly want to be engaged though! With a shiny shiny twinkle ring :D Maybe I'll just be engaged for 47 years like my uncle.

Relish in Chaos:
Could I ask those that want to get married...why? What difference does it make if you have some "official" paper telling you that you love each other? How is it a "commitment"? Is it just for legally convenient reasons (like the money and stuff), or religious reasons?

I literally don't understand it. Why would anyone, in this day and age, want to get married when you should just be able to love someone without having to throw some retarded ceremony for it?

I just do.
I want to be a family with my boyfriend (it's kind of a given between us that we will get married, but we don't plan on getting officially engaged for a few years), legally and everything.
I also want our kids to have the same last name. And I like the idea of being husband and wife. Plus weddings are fun.

But... I am undecided as to whether or not I will change my name. I don't want to hyphenate my name, so I don't know what I will do yet. I've thought about me and the boyfriend changing our last names to a mix of our two last names. I'm attatched to my name, he's attatched to his, so while he wouldn't really wanna change his completely, he understands if I dont wanna change mine.

Relish in Chaos:

It's not really about the paper as far as I know. Don't know if I'll ever get married but it seems to be more symbolic than anything. Getting up in front of people and making a promise to stay with someone for the rest of your life. It's a grand gesture. Asking why you get married is like asking why we do anything of things we do in celebration. Why do we give presents on birthdays and christmas? Do we really need to give each other gifts?

I'm already married.

I plan on staying that way though, does that count?

i voted yes but not until i am at least 30

Honestly? No idea. It's not legal for me to do at the moment but even if it was I'm just not at that place in my life where I would tie the knot. I'm only 20 years old for Christ sake.

Maybe when I'm older and more mature I'll want to at some point, but not right now.

Hanging a legal and financial contract on my emotions, well that seem like a brilliant idea, how could it ever go wrong...

Get married, yes.
Have kids, no.

Marriage is effectively just a nice confirmation that you intend to share your life with that person. It's also a nice way to bring yours and your partner's (extended) families together. c:

Not a clue. I'd need to be in a serious relationship before having to worry about it anyway.

It is not a current goal of mine, largely because I have yet to meet a partner that I can envision staying with for more than a year or two at a time.

If I find a woman that I feel a desire to spend the rest of my life with, that will most likely change.

As for why I would choose to get married, the monetary issues aside, it quite simply is a meaningful symbol of commitment and love.

Eventually, when I have a stable income and the right person to start a family with.

No. Half end in divorce and I never gamble with that kind of odds. I could be miserable and alone, or I could be miserable with half my stuff. Tough choice.

Not really, no.
Still, if anyone wants to, it's their choice, y'know. Just doesn't really have an appeal to me.

Sure thing, me and my girlfriend plan to get married some time in the next few years. I am confused why people don't understand marriage. Its a social norm many of us are wired to follow. Plus its got financial/legal benefits to boot.

I find the concept of getting married to be kinda...Well...pointless.

I mean, If you and your partner love each other, and everyone who matters to you knows it, then why do you need to have this huge ceremony to prove it?

I'm not AGAINST the idea of getting married some day, but I just find it kind of pointless.

Only as a tax dodge. I'm just not interested.

Yes.

I'm not even remotely ready for it yet - I'm too immature and am struggling to overcome some pretty crippling commitment problems - but I still fantasise about my wedding day. If it never happens, it never happens, but I cannot pretend I'd be particularly happy with that turn of events.

Fappy:
Sure thing, me and my girlfriend plan to get married some time in the next few years. I am confused why people don't understand marriage. Its a social norm many of us are wired to follow. Plus its got financial/legal benefits to boot.

Is your avatar the cat Fox met when he was separated from the others in Animals of Farthing Wood?

I am married and have been so for 4 years now. Just like all relationships, a marriage is hard work for both parties involved. However, in addition to religious reasons, I think being married is important because it is still an indicator of seriousness about a relationship, despite the 50% divorce rate within 10 years or so. Additionally, it provides some nice legal benefits and whatnot.

Oh, and I have a 1-year old. He's hilarious.

Stasisesque:
Yes.

I'm not even remotely ready for it yet - I'm too immature and am struggling to overcome some pretty crippling commitment problems - but I still fantasise about my wedding day. If it never happens, it never happens, but I cannot pretend I'd be particularly happy with that turn of events.

Fappy:

Is your avatar the cat Fox met when he was separated from the others in Animals of Farthing Wood?

Nah, its Mao from Darker than Black. :P

Fappy:

Stasisesque:
Yes.

Fappy:

Man, someone stole someone's animation there then. It's identical.

Stasisesque:

Fappy:

Stasisesque:
Yes.

Man, someone stole someone's animation there then. It's identical.

Link a picture!

Getting married is like gambling, your probably going to lose somewhere down the road.

Fun facts as to why you should not get married.

1. Divorce is expensive.
2. One vagina for the rest of your life until you die.
3. Weddings are expensive
4. You have to buy a fucking ring(guess what, thats expensive.)
5. You lose touch with your friends.
6. You get dragged to way more horrible things(hanging out with other married couples, her folks)
7. You become more of a boring human being.

I AM married... no option for me :)

Shawn MacDonald:
Getting married is like gambling, your probably going to lose somewhere down the road.

1. Divorce is expensive.
6. You get dragged to way more horrible things(hanging out with other married couples, her folks)

1. why marry someone going into it thinking it's going to end?
2. and? if it's good why should it matter?
3. mine wasn't... my brother in law's living room, with a justice of the peace.
4. Naw, my wife just wanted a simple little ring, it should be about love not things.
5. I haven't, the people that are important will always be there.
6. I love her family, and we are so close, we only do things we both want to do. If i happen to not want to, she goes alone.
7. if anything, my life has become more exciting.

really marriage isn't so bad. :D

Melanie McGreevey:

Shawn MacDonald:

1. Divorce is expensive.

1. why marry someone going into it thinking it's going to end?
2. and? if it's good why should it matter?
3. mine wasn't... my brother in law's living room, with a justice of the peace.
4. Naw, my wife just wanted a simple little ring, it should be about love not things.
5. I haven't, the people that are important will always be there.
6. I love her family, and we are so close, we only do things we both want to do. If i happen to not want to, she goes alone.
7. if anything, my life has become more exciting.

really marriage isn't so bad. :D

You know what I have to say to this. The same thing I say to homeless people when they ask for change.

NOPE!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked