What is this I don't even..?
8.9% (24)
8.9% (24)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Forum Anxiety?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

OmniscientOstrich:

Samantha Burt:
This is a clear "yes" for me. I have Asperger's Syndrome, so I struggle socially anyway, and I always worry, in any sort of social medium, that I'll miscommunicate and/or make a fool of myself.

Basically that, I'm always paranoid that I might have across as an asshole and sometimes just delete what I've written half-way in, or just regret what I did end up posting.

Good to know I'm not alone in doing so. That alone helps me feel more confident. (:

Yep. Usually I just post anyway. I mean, what's the worst that could happen? People on the internet not liking what I have to say? I've had worse.

Still get a bit anxious though. I've always been like that though. Not too sure why.

Problems....posting on an internet forum? Where you're essentially anonymous? No. Zero problems here.

I don't really get 'forum anxiety', because I'm usually pretty good at writing and getting my point across. What I do get is 'forum fatigue' - it'll happen when there's a LOT in one thread that I want to respond to, or the opinions I want to respond to are so blindingly stupid, or when it's hard for me to find the right way to bring my opinion across... I just give up and move on.

Yes, yes, yes. I can't really say how many times I've written out a post, sometime a full page in length, and just... didn't post it. I've had so many times where people will try dragging me into a long arguement I don't care about. It seems so much of this forum has now been dedicated to arguing that it's not worth my time to post the simplest thing. For example, I won't even talk about Mass Effect 3 here because of... well, the obvious reason. Which is too bad considering it was overall one of the best games I've played in a while and this seems the best place to talk about the good parts.

I get it with new threads, I suppose, but that's more because I'm generally waiting for the 'someone else already did this thread!' brigade who will then pull up a thread from a year and a half ago with 4 responses on it, and for my transgression I will be banned from the Escapist and forever after shall be hunted by the moderators until I'm found lying in a hotel in Bulgaria with a keyboard shoved through my sternum.

I assume that's how it works, anyway.

There are a lot more "yes" votes than I ever would have imagined. Never would have guessed.

As for me, no. At least not anymore. When I first started posted in forums years ago, it was something new so I was pretty paranoid. Now, I don't really care.

A lot around here for the last few months. The place feels like a warzone, and most people are just shooting for the sake of shooting. I even blocked this place for a couple weeks after ME3 came out when everything crossed the line, circled around the Earth, crossed it again and launched into space.

And now that people already have massive butthurt about the weapon spawns in Halo 4, I might have to do it again when that comes around.

Sometimes I get a bit nervous when posting a new thread or when a thread is in regards to a touchy subject I have a good long think about it before posting but in the vast majority of cases I don't really have a problem posting.

Not usually.

But it appears when I see (8) posts that replied to me and I think "I have shit to get done, they'll have to wait" and when I come back I start hesitating as if the time that passed changed my opinion and I end up contradicting myself and look like a fool.

I always think about what I write and read over it before I post it, and if I think it sounds stupid then I won't bother. I wouldn't call that anxiety though.

I used to not have it but now I do. I guess I'm a bit more self-conscious of myself now and don't want to leave a bad impression upon others. I guess it's stupid...

In other forum's yes, but Escapist is a decent community. You will rarely be 'trolled' or abused for having your own opinion.

Suicidejim:
I get it with new threads, I suppose, but that's more because I'm generally waiting for the 'someone else already did this thread!' brigade who will then pull up a thread from a year and a half ago with 4 responses on it, and for my transgression I will be banned from the Escapist and forever after shall be hunted by the moderators until I'm found lying in a hotel in Bulgaria with a keyboard shoved through my sternum.

I assume that's how it works, anyway.

I'm pretty sure you've just described an upcoming CSI special. *nod*

Tis' easier for me to communicate through text than talking, don't know why.

I think it is because I can't look into another persons face when I'm talking to someone, because I think tis' rude.

omega 616:

Hey, aren't you the girl who has that thing where you see colours when you hear sounds? Is it photosynesthesia?

Yeah that would be me. And It's synesthesia :)

I guess some people do remember stuff haha

museofdoom:

omega 616:

Hey, aren't you the girl who has that thing where you see colours when you hear sounds? Is it photosynesthesia?

I assumed it started with photo 'cos photo is light, which makes up colour and there is photo sensitive epilepsy. I was still close though haha.

I only remembered you 'cos your avatar first confused me, then with the synesthesia it reminded me of QI.

Daystar Clarion:
Just roll with it dude.

It's just like talking (granted, typing on a forum requires less confidence but still), you just need to be confident about the thing you're trying to say, get it across in a clear way, and avoid the Religion & Politics section of the forums.

For that way leads to madness.

Yeah pretty much what Daystar said. It's essentially talking but (not to sound rude or anything) you're hiding behind the internet, so there's less judgement in my opinion.

Only when making threads, which seems silly as most of them die quickly.

There are occasions where I'll worry about not properly getting my ideal point across. I often speak as if I'm speaking seriously, but rarely am.

It is a symptom of a social anxiety. One can dehumanize the forums and internet as a faceless force, which in itself is a blatant attempt to lessen the effects of the anxiety.
But it beats actually believing there is importance in these 'social' relationships.

errrm...no not really

somtimes I get a quoted message and I think "yep...Im about to get torn apart"

This is the internet, it isn't like standing in front of class and delievering an essay.

I don't care what people I will never meet think.

zelda2fanboy:
Yeah, I'll start a thread feeling really good, then about three or four hours later when I turn on my computer I'll think "Oh, no." It can be fun to stir the pot and drum up conversation and viewpoints, but sometimes I just want the topic to die and I regret having ever said anything.

Yeah, I get that sometimes
one minute you're posting something all innocent and then suddenly

and you realize it's never going to die. Thankfully, replying isn't necessary for our continued survival.

museofdoom:

omega 616:

So have you ever gone to a rave and been like "no no, your colored strobe lights are all off!" or something?

Nouw:
I used to not have it but now I do. I guess I'm a bit more self-conscious of myself now and don't want to leave a bad impression upon others. I guess it's stupid...

very stupid, I now think you're a dumb dumb because of this post. Guess that shit backfired.

(just kidding, I can't possibly dislike someone with such an awesome avi)

axlryder:
So have you ever gone to a rave and been like "no no, your colored strobe lights are all off!" or something?

Hahaha I've never been to a rave, but sometimes when I see a music video, I get annoyed when the aesthetics in the video don't quite match the colors in my head. :3

I feel like I should make an on topic comment: I only ever get super worried about a post if I'm trying to argue with someone intelligently. I dislike coming off as stupid, and I don't like coming off as a jerk either unless the person is outright being a jerk to me.

Absolutely I do. I always want to make a good impression - it doesn't help that in other forums I've had moments where I'd post a thread and then just get slandered for it (like a "this thread already exists!" moment when that already existing thread hadn't been posted in for three years - I mean, really?). But then again I suffer from social anxiety in real life, so I guess it's to be expected.

museofdoom:

axlryder:

Hahaha I've never been to a rave, but sometimes when I see a music video, I get annoyed when the aesthetics in the video don't quite match the colors in my head. :3

Sounds awesome to me. Being an artist especially, I'd give an arm and a leg for something like that. Ah well, good for you anyway.

Casual Shinji:
I don't know if it's as much anxiety as it is a mentality of "Eh, why bother".

It's usually me thinking, "Nobody's going to read it, nobody's going to care. Why am I wasting my time with this?"

This is exactly what happens to me half the time I'm about to post something.

The more effort I put into a post, or PM, or whatever, the more I want it to be perfect, which can lead to some serious anxiety about hitting post/send/whatever.

Sort of. I tend not to post on highly contested topics because I don't plan on getting into a quote-off with other posters, yet if I don't respond I feel they will feel like they "won" or that they shut me up - so I just don't post anything to begin with.

And then there's the case of starting to type a post and then just closing the tab half way through because "Who gives a fuck?" Almost had it happen in this post too.

I do have that innate fear of saying something stupid, or something easily misunderstood. A lot of posters here can be vicious in their replies at times, and replying back to them isn't something I look forward to...when it happens.

Sometimes I just can't contribute to the topic at hand or I feel like my answer is insignificant anyways. Truth be told, my answers are almost always insignificant... -sob-

I'm far far too arrogant to not let people hear my opinion on absolutely anything that catches my interest.

Yes, I do. So please don't read this.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Nope. Never suffered from that.

I will strut through these forums just not giving a fuck till the banhammer hits me.

Count yourself fortunate. I wish I had more courage.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked