Where to find a gamer girl?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Exactly the reason why I want to move to another country with more people and diversity. Try finding a gamer girl in Finland. Yeah, that's not happening any time soon. Really pisses me off.

play games.

You know if you play games online you've probably run across more girls then you know...
If you acctually start trying to talk on these online games you'll start making friends and relationships that can really last because no matter what you always have one thing of common intrest.

I found my Girlfriend in a game of Left4Dead.

If your looking for places to find girl gamers, your best options (from what ive learned) are:

A: Japanese produced games. Harvest Moon is almost a chick magnet. Everyone female gamer ive met has played, and enjoyed a Harvest Moon game. I think its because of how much more adorable and fun Japanese games can be. (Im not saying women ARNT into hardcore gaming, im just saying its slightly less likely from my own experience.)

B: League of Legends has a pretty large female demographic compared to other games. Its a competitive game, but the important part is, its VERY team based. And while id never say women cant be lone wolfs, from my experience, team games tend to have a larger female following. Ive met more women on LoL then i have in most other games combined.

C: Reddit. While it may sound like a joke, there are a lot of women on reddit. Chances are, if you go to a cosplay thread, your going to run into at least 2-3 women. (You could always lurk the "LadyBoners" subreddit. its literally a forum full of women fawning over good looking men. If you can clean up really nice and take a great picture, you'll probably find a woman willing to chat there.)

D: Anime Conventions/Renaissance Fairs. Id be lying if i told you i havent met/hit-on/got hit-on by women at a renaissance fair. I happen to have a really nice suit of leather armor then makes my butt look nice. And apparently, quite a few women find the "Naughty Bandit" type attractive (At least until they see my eating habits). And ive been to a few Anime Conventions. They go on everywhere, you just have to take time to look, and plan ahead.
http://www.animecons.com/events/ Just look ahead of time, and see about going to one. Even if you dont go to pick up babes (*cough hack* i mean, fine ladies....), you can still have a great time. And if you do go for the women, then just put on a smile and when they talk about a female lead, tell them how "Kawaii" you think she is when she isnt being assaulted by something evil.

Honestly, if your looking for a "Gamer Girl", your best chance is to make one. Not like that >.> freak.

Find a nice girl, who doesnt think "OMG VIDYA GAYMZ R 4 CHILDEZ", and see if you cant get a kinect or a rockband game (with 2 guitars. Thats the most important part). A lot of women who say they arnt into gaming have just never played with someone they like spending time with. My Wife barely touched games, really only enjoying older PSX titles from her childhood. I got Rockband 3 and a 2nd guitar, shes now neck deep into LoL. You just have to introduce gaming slowly, with things that are easily accessible. Heck, if you have a kinect, rent the new Starwars Kinect game, and dance together. Because nothing is more enjoyable then to see your partner is just as big of a failure as you.

WhiteTigerShiro:
Snip

Fear not, for it takes time to find the right person. That is what dating is for, and the more you date- the better chances you have at finding that right person. Almost every girl that I am friend's with is a gamer herself (but what's funny is that they're very picky with what game to invest time in.. for one of my friend's is only into Mario games. Huh.)

Besides that, don't look for a relationship. Trying to find love through force is like trying to hunt a deer by running toward it shouting. Let love come to you, and while doing so make friends who can eventually become more (with one person of course, it's best not to get with a few love interests.. it's asking for trouble.)

If you feel like ranting more or want advise then please PM me. I have plenty of experience dating girls and even some who have passions in gaming like me. Thing is, don't date a girl just because she's a gamer. Date a girl who's willing to work out the relationship during the good times and the bad times. That is important, I know this.

***IGNORE THIS***
I've been in a relationship for 2 years with a girl that's the complete polar-opposite of me and things couldn't be going any better. I play games 10-some hours a day more than I should.
she doesn't even know where the start button is.
She's a cross country runner.
I get winded walking up my stairs.

And we have almost no common interests other then a shared hatred for dubstep & country. And I don't know how but we've never had a fight, we always laugh no matter how stupid a joke was, and I stopped playing Skyrim to surprise visit her at work.

***THE POINT***
the point is, for the longest time I was like you. I wanted the dream "gamer girl" a hot girl that shared my interest in video games. Then I realized that it wasn't what I needed. All I needed was a girl who could accept my love of video games and in turn accept me. A shared interest is great but you shouldn't limit yourself to a girl that (only likes ________ can't like _________ needs to be able to _________)because you'll miss out on a lot of great girls that way.

The best way to meet people (not just girls) is to frequent places that showcase your hobby. If you strictly want a gamer girl, I'd say LAN parks and game and electronic stores are your best bet. But if you have interests other than games, frequent those places, too. And play online! It might make it difficult for the whole close-by thing, but at the very least, you'll have a community that will most likely include a few ladies.

Just make sure you're secure in your masculinity if you do land a gamer girl, though. I got dumped once for being better at Halo than my then-boyfriend.

IndomitableSam:
Snip.

Wow, My twin sister and I are both gamers as well, though some of our tastes differ somewhat. Small world I suppose.

My twin sister is actually dating someone who is considering a career as a video game programmer, but they wouldn't have met if my sister wasn't forced to attend a band camp with me in high school. The fact that they both enjoy video games does not define their relationship at all though; it just gives them another way to spend time together.

I, myself, am single, mostly due to my own disinterest in dating. Fortunately, many people I've met at my university do not think of girls playing video games as anything unusual, and do not treat it as such. I occasionally get compliments on my shirts (since I own a few Zelda, Portal, and Fallout shirts), but I've struck equal amounts of conversation with guys as I have girls on the topic.

Usually, an interest in gaming doesn't define a person, male or female, so I find it equally jarring and pointless to say that you want to find a "gamer girl" or a "gamer guy." I'm bothered by people who downright think poorly of the medium, but I don't think any more or less of "non-gamers." If you ask me, compatibility of personalities is more important than an overlap of interests.

i dunno, is lisa foiles single? she's cute and loves videogames, aside from that you may want to risk looking for one by employing the good ole "beauty is in the inside" cliche that nobody believes

Bertylicious:
I guess part of the problem is that many gamers are kind of homebodys. Am I right in thinking you're more of an inside person and would be looking for someone similar?

I dunno. Perhaps join loads of online communities so you can meet more people with similar personalities & interests and, perhaps, make a connection?

so true,i see the irony

I know what you mean OP meeting a guy who can put up with me playing games endlessly is hard when my main hobby is pretty much a solo gig.

I also look pretty young so men that I meet if I go out for a coffee or whatever in town think Im a teenager lol.

I just hope one day I can find a gamer dude who likes to game as much as I do :) Good luck to you aswell.

Theres always dating sites as a last resort lol. but seriously. You just gotta move on through out life. I've met great people just by sitting quietly in a Starbucks or bookstore. They either approach me or I approach them. Finding a common ground is the best way to get any conversation going. It just depends on where you go and who just happens to pass by. Keep your chin up as well as a bright smile and they come to you.

Mr.K.:

IndomitableSam:
But the gamer girls you're looking for are probably girls you wouldn't spare a second glance for. Most of us don't care as much for appearance and don't spend hours working out and then putting in hair extensions and fake eyelashes and caking on the make up.

Sorry but this is incredibly foolish, if a girl looks halfway decent she doesn't need more then jeans and a shirt for a regular guy to take note.
Question is however if the girl can be found in places of socialization and more importantly if she is open to it, most girls tend to fend off guys before they even get a word in.

However for some girls to look halfway decent she has to spend an hour in the bathroom. Normally I don't wear makeup or do my hair and I never get noticed. If I put on light makeup and put effort into my hair looking nice I get a lot more attention. To the point I just find it creepy how big of a difference it makes.

why are you trying to find a girl already into games? she's gonna try to change you, turn the tables, try and change her. I did it so can you.

1; it's all about the right game
This is probably the hardest for gamer guys. be flexible with your genres. It is hella easy to get girls into RPGs, Sims and strangely RTSs. Remember this isn't about you (yet), this is about her and introducing her to gaming. Think about what she likes and what she plays now, like Farmville or Bejeweled, this can indicate what kind of game she might like. She ain't gonna jump in to an FPS day one if she isn't into gaming.in all likelihood FPSs would just scare her off.

2;involve her
Just be doing it casually, lie on the couch and instead of watching awful TV, play a game. Don't let your immersion get too high though, this is about you and her, talk to her, not just about the game but have the game be background noise. Set the audio to stereo and turn down the volume a bit. talk about life, hopes, dreams, aspirations, all that relationship shit. Ask her about her day. talk to her but play the game. Best to do this with something you've played alot and know almost by heart. makes it looks easy, requires less attention.

3;suggestion
Offhand suggestions can go a long way. Suggest that just right for her game. Do be too direct, gotta be kinda sneaky. give her access to your WoW account and have an open character slot. give her your steam password and have the game just sitting in your library.* Be subtle. Leave the game in your xbox or PS3. Do this especially when you know she's going to be sitting at home bored in the near future. curiosity and boredom are your best friends.

4;play with her
Get a new game and play together, and for gods sake let her choose the game. If there is one thing girls are good at it's shopping. Go on a shopping trip with them and hit the nearest gamestop/walmart/best buy/whatever. let her pick a game, buy it, then play it with her. I say new game because playing with her on modern warfare 3 is going to result in you either a)owning her in every match or b)throwing matches and letting her win, both of which will result in alienating her and pushing her further away. You need to have a level playing field. Co-op is awesome in these situations.

5;Time
Give it time. Relationships take work and whatever your gaming habits and whatever her gaming habits, gaming is only going to be a small percentage of what you're going to do together. you want a gamer girl? well remember you were a noob for a long time before you could properly be called a gamer. and say she doesn't get into gaming? who knows? in the long run that may not matter.

*Make sure your WoW/steam passwords are different from your email and that she doesn't know your email password so those can be changed on quick break-up notice.

You become a mad scientist and build one. Do it yourself, that's the only way you can ensure it's done right.

But srsly, why try to find some random gamer girl? Why do you want to date some gamer girl who, atm, you don't even know? They're just a vague concept right now, not even a specific person.

rayen020:
snip.

soooo...indoctrination then?

So, um. Any half-decent looking gamer girl has guys fawning over them? Fuck, I must look like a cow. Doesn't help that all I meet are techno-illiterate jocks and rednecks.

Here is my deal: love comes hard to find if you're desperate to find it. Just take a step back and relax. If you're desperate you will come off as needy. *shrugs* Just what I've picked up.

Chloroform and Google maps.

TehCookie:
However for some girls to look halfway decent she has to spend an hour in the bathroom. Normally I don't wear makeup or do my hair and I never get noticed. If I put on light makeup and put effort into my hair looking nice I get a lot more attention. To the point I just find it creepy how big of a difference it makes.

Looking at your picture trust me you don't need makeup and you probably get noticed just fine, the issue lies in approachability, are you actually open to be chated up or do you wear the standard issue girl sneak eyes.
Getting gussied up pretty much puts a "want attention" sign on your forehead, plus it will quickly expand your attraction into the skank hunter area so you get double coverage.
You could even go wild and say Hi to a guy you like, extra options are always open, I'm just saying you don't need much spit and polish for the average guy.

Actually the same needs to be said about guys, you don't need to be Brad Pitt to impress and if the girl is only looking for such a guy you are better off not knowing her, but you will need to be interesting and work on your charm.

Mr.K.:

TehCookie:

Looking at your picture trust me you don't need makeup and you probably get noticed just fine, the issue lies in approachability, are you actually open to be chated up or do you wear the standard issue girl sneak eyes.
Getting gussied up pretty much puts a "want attention" sign on your forehead, plus it will quickly expand your attraction into the skank hunter area so you get double coverage.
You could even go wild and say Hi to a guy you like, extra options are always open, I'm just saying you don't need much spit and polish for the average guy.

Actually the same needs to be said about guys, you don't need to be Brad Pitt to impress and if the girl is only looking for such a guy you are better off not knowing her, but you will need to be interesting and work on your charm.

That is me in makeup though, my issue is that's what guys think is normal and think makeup is limited to clown faces.

Probably should not bother getting a gamer girl specifically. For better chances it is better to be open to more possibilities. I find it extremely difficult to have similar hobbies and interests with the opposite gender.

For example my last girlfriend that I met online liked a band that I liked. Ended up meeting her and dating her for a few months and realized that our similarities basically ended with liking the same band. We had nothing else in common.

But, like mentioned in other posts you might try an online dating site. I think those are good because you can get a feel for their interests by reading their profile, and you also know they are single. It is also a hell of a lot awkward. I find it frustrating to try to talk to a girl for awhile only to find out she already has a boyfriend.

TehCookie:
That is me in makeup though, my issue is that's what guys think is normal and think makeup is limited to clown faces.

Well they would have a far better idea if you stopped plastering over your faces, but I have never been with a girl that would powder up like that.
And the comparison is manipulative bullshit, in the first part everything is stacked against her and in the second every photo trickery is used for her.

Yes people look better if they put some effort into it so they aren't a complete slob but they really don't haveto go far, it is far more important to put effort into accepting oneself.

About half the gaming population is female.
The problem isn't finding females playing games, it's that you assume anyone who doesn't show outward signs of feminity is a guy, which is wholly secist in a media where 46% of gamers are girls.

WhiteTigerShiro:
So I'm at a loss... here I am, in love with this hobby, but it's impossible to have a social life with it.

Only because you say it is.

Eh, not to impose here, but I think you don't really have your priorities set straight. Seems to me your most important criteria for that "special someone" is "is a gamer". That's not how it's done. You really should focus more on finding someone who actually works out for your relationship. I've seen plenty of people get burned badly for thinking hobby preferences or other points of interest are the most important thing to look for, and it just doesn't work out. Sure, having hobbies in common is a great bonus, but you can't exactly base a relationship on the fact that both of you play games. One of my best friends is in a fucking horrible relationship where common interests are pretty much the only positive thing she can even find about it. Games and music, mostly.

So, sure you can look for a gamer girl. But for the sake of whatever astral deity you believe in, don't go falling head over heels at the first sign of a female homo sapiens indulging in games of digital nature. Trust me, you'll want a good, actually fitting girl a lot more than you'll want someone who likes games. Those aren't mutually exclusive, necessarily, but they sure as hell aren't equally important.

TestECull:

WhiteTigerShiro:
So I'm at a loss... here I am, in love with this hobby, but it's impossible to have a social life with it.

Only because you say it is.

Also this. Unless you're some kind of a shut-in (and no, this isn't an insult, I mean that in the most uninsulting way possible) and do nothing but play games all day, then that's simply not true. And if you do, well, I don't think you can blame games for making them your whole life. A lot of people socialize actively and go out despite playing games. It's when you start to get into that "Well I'm a gamer!" mindset at the exclusion of everything else you're going to find it impossible to have a social life. And that's not the hobby's fault.

IndomitableSam:

But the gamer girls you're looking for are probably girls you wouldn't spare a second glance for. Most of us don't care as much for appearance and don't spend hours working out and then putting in hair extensions and fake eyelashes and caking on the make up.

I have to disagree on that point, girls who spend a lot of time on looking good tend to look pretty meh to me, and give off an aura of being wayyyy too high maintenance. Could just be because I'm in southern California though.

To the OP, if it's that important to you, best bet is looking in games. I met my girlfriend of over four years in WoW, and we lived on opposite sides of the country when we met. It's rough at first, but if there's solid chemistry you'll find a way to be in close proximity before long.

Vault101:

rayen020:
snip.

soooo...indoctrination then?

yeah basically. worked with shepard, worked with bioware fans, it'll work for this guy.

I'm not sure...I tend to sit in my apartment pantsless and talk on internet forums..So you may have to break into a few houses be crafty.

I think the best way to do it is to casually throw a few gamer puns/jokes into a conversation with a girl. I'd only do this if you have a sense she's a potential gamer. If she'll banter them back, you'll know she's smart/witty, AND likes Skyrim/Halo/Diablo/Pokemon.

Mr.K.:

TehCookie:

Well they would have a far better idea if you stopped plastering over your faces, but I have never been with a girl that would powder up like that.
And the comparison is manipulative bullshit, in the first part everything is stacked against her and in the second every photo trickery is used for her.

Yes people look better if they put some effort into it so they aren't a complete slob but they really don't haveto go far, it is far more important to put effort into accepting oneself.

Was that you directed at me or general you? For the former I'd say read the entire post you quoted, if the latter I agree.

Gamer girls are not unicorns you know. If all you do is play games then no girl will want to be stuck with you, even the ones that enjoy games. Its a hobby, not an obsession. Go out and do other things, people with multiple interests are better than just the one. I think you would prefer to sit holed up in your basement like a wow player cliche - an no girl will ever want that.

Make one.

Thats what I did. I introduced her to games that I knew that she would love. And forced her to play hehehe.

Most of the girls I know play video games, maybe I'm incredibly lucky.

WhiteTigerShiro:
So I'm at a loss... here I am, in love with this hobby, but it's impossible to have a social life with it. Perhaps even worse, it seems impossible to find that special someone with whom I can enjoy the hobby together. Seems any girl I'm interested in, I basically have to settle for the fact that she'll just never get this important part of my lifestyle. She'll never understand my simple joys, my sorrows, or any of that. The biggest portion of my life, and it feels like it's completely closed-off to every woman I might date.

I guess there are conventions, sure. Entire events just flooded with people who would share that common interest. Only problem though is that those are just once a year, and the odds of meeting someone who lives in the same area as me are very slim. Less of a problem for people I plan to be just friends with, since we can just meet-up on Vent and play games and talk games. Heck, I have some friends down in Vegas whom I only see in person once a year, if even that often, but that's okay.

Keeping gamer friends online is easy. But a relationship? Long distance relationships are hell! I know, I've been there. Sure it's nice having that emotional support there. Someone to love, someone to really get to know, to basically share my life with, even if it is online... but eventually comes the point when you need the physical part of the relationship. Someone to cuddle-up with during a movie, or while gaming of course, the kissing, the intimacy in general.

Sorry if I seem to just be sadly rambling on, it's the mood I'm in right now. Though I still can't help but wonder, how does a gamer who wants someone with whom to share that part of his life find what he needs?

Right there with ya bud.

I'm resigned myself to never finding one and being "forever alone". I certainly can't find any, and the few I have found were either married or lesbians.

In your guild/PUG?

At Fry's / Best Buy / GameStop / Barnes & Noble gaming/manga section?

A dating site that includes gaming as an interest?

College Dorm? (assuming you are in college - trolling college dorms if you are not a student there is more likely to get you arrested than a date)

I think the people arguing against looking for a "gamer girl" are setting a double standard. If you had said, "Hey, I like kayaking, but kayaking is often a solitary experience, so does anyone have advice on where I can find a kayaking girl with whom I can share my interests?" you would not have this level of outrage at looking for a gamer girl.

Woodsey:
It is a hobby, it's not a lifestyle.

That depends entirely on the person. I have friends, both male and female for whom gaming is more of a lifestyle and an influence on many other things in their lives. For others, it's a way to kill a few hours a week.

I personally, went with the route of finding a girl and then introducing her to gaming. She plays some, but not a lot and that is often an area where we had more in common. Finding someone to share interests with is nice, but in the long run, if you have interests that don't interest each other very much, it can also be a weakness. I cannot spend hours gardening with my wife without getting bored to death, she cannot spend hours gaming without doing the same. Yes, we do have many other shared interests, but the fact of the matter is that if she were more into gaming, we would spend more time together. Luckily, our youngest daughter is a huge gamer.

This thread is so entertaining. XD

OP, it sounds like all your problems would evaporate if you moved, maybe do that?
Lots of people move for love, WoW is a great place to meet girls near to where you live. Try hanging around stores gamers frequent, or just try the regular methods of meeting girls and ask then if they play games. Book stores are also great places.

Don't give up OP! Your love is out there!

TailstheHedgehog:
online dating?
I've never used it myself cos frankly I'm 18 and all boys around my age are retarded testosterone filled punks with one thing on their mind (yeah yeah, I stereotype - sorry, once-bitten twice-shy all that jazz), but maybe it could suit your needs?
Yet, I just saw a marvellous post above that sends that idea down the toilet.
Just be a gamer, if you want to meet a gamer girl. She will see your arkham asylum t-shirt and starcraft bling and know 'hey, it's a gamer! like me! we must have things in common...'

Wait you think it's just guys around your age? Hooboy are you in for an unpleseant surprise .

OT: walk around with a cute videogame character shirt , a girl will surely comment on it at some point . Like a shirt with a moogle on it . Women love moogles.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked