A hypothetical situation.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Well, since lethal handguns are more illegal than heroin over here, I'd be rather confused. All in all, I'd blindly fire at said balaclava ma, missing every shot. As he dives under the hail of badly aimed shots, I run up and pistol whip him. then I point the gun at the girl and get some answers.

Try to shoot whoever gets in my way, hopefully I can get out.

Ignatz_Zwakh:
I'd back-hand the girl exclaiming "WHAT KINDA CLICHED MALE POWER-FANTASY HAVE I STUMBLED INTO!!!"

And I agree with this.

"Over the course of the train trip, you somehow manage to break through her shy disposition and strike up a conversation with her."

Thats where I went, fuck this cannot be me!

BUt...

I would kill with no hesitations. Success is measured in the blood of you, and your enemies; kill or be killed.

I'd say "Shit, lady, you deal with it." Then hide or run away, possibly dying in the process.

Captcha: am I happy?

Captcha is fucking with me.

I'd probably hand the gun back to her, as she seems to know more about handling guns.

Also, equal rights mean equal obligations as well, no!?

Zen Toombs:
I take the gun and fire two rounds into his chest.

In all probability though, I've just been duped by a pretty girl and won't live too long to regret it.

Battleaxx90:
-op-

So, how'd I do? Honestly, I'd either react like that or with catatonia. Depends on my day.

This is the kind of answer I'm looking for, btw.

It actually interests me how many different kinds of responses there are to this situation. Truth be told, I only expected people to give either troll responses, jerk responses, or the kind of response I wanted. I got that, and everything in between. Thanks, guys! You've all given me some insight on how a normal person would react in this situation!

Okay, I guess I should come clean. That story I wrote at the beginning? It's actually based off the first half of this short story I'm writing. Before I wrote the second half, I said to myself: "How would a normal person react in this situation?" I have Aspergers Syndrome, which essentially means my train of thought runs on a different set of tracks than the average person, and I doubt the protagonist of this story has Aspies as well.

Once again, this has been a real big help. Thanks!

Also, in regards to everybody asking why she's giving YOU the gun, I say this: Did I ever say that she was unarmed? Or defenceless?

[1] this one is easily manipulated
[2] as I said, this one is easily manipulated

Drop the gun, Stand up and brush the dirt off myself and then say "Fuck this shit, I'm going home. You two do what you want.". Then stumble though the debris looting the occasional corpse.

Or

Shoot the guy, then walk off into the sunset with the girl around my arm... Looting the occasional corpse.

Die in shame as I miss the shot, knowing my luck the girl would be a double agent and I'd be fucked anyway

I do what anyone would do in that situation:
Put on my red hood and Kill every motherfuck in the room...With no substitutes. 'Cept the girl. She's my meat shield unless I get some answers.

This is a clip:
Edited the image out because the text is fixed and if you want to know how a clip is just google it.

Yeah, decent writing, but...

Chekhov's gun:
"One must not put a loaded rifle on the stage if no one is thinking of firing it."

Same deal with ammunition, during travel the gun must be secured or have certain components removed to prevent it from being used. Someone carrying a really old gun would have no reason to load the ammunition into the clips.

Da Orky Man:
Well, since lethal handguns are more illegal than heroin over here, I'd be rather confused. All in all, I'd blindly fire at said balaclava ma, missing every shot. As he dives under the hail of badly aimed shots, I run up and pistol whip him. then I point the gun at the girl and get some answers.

Aiming a handgun is considerably harder than a rifle. But most defensive uses of handguns happen at ranges so close the user doesn't often need the sights.

Plus, you have the advantage because a rifle is harder to wield in close quarters.

You would just have a hard time reloading a pistol with "clips".

EDIT: Oh, wait, the clip magically turned into a magazine. That evens the odds.

Zen Toombs:
If the man is actually a police officer or a smart terrorist, he merely has the wind knocked out of him.

Or, the impact broke a rib or two and now he has either a collapsing lung or a severed major artery.

I'd probably go back in time and replay it again like that movie Source Code, which it nearly sounds you have shamelessly stolen this from.

I'm going to go with die. It seems the most likely outcome.

I drop to my knees, put the gun on the ground, feign surrender and then when he comes over to take the gun, I headbutt him in the groin, push his rifle away by the barrel and give him a swift uppercut to the jaw.
Then I wait for the neds to fix it all.

What? I'm obviously going on the train to Glasgow to go to college.
Glasgow is not a good place to start shit. Even if you have guns.

This isn't the time to be asking for advice on the interwebs OP.

Shoot the terrorist and make sweet love down by the fire with the girl.

well i wouldn't take the gun in the first place since i can't use guns. Whether i had the gun or not i would almost certainly cower and try to talk my way out of it (ie. plead like a worm). If i had the gun i'd drop it. My survival chances are best served by not presenting any kind of threat. Heck, if it wasn't clear i'd already been noticed, i'd be hiding/playing dead once i saw the guy with the rifle.

Ummmm.... Am I the only person who can clearly see that the girl is a terrorist (the backpack contained the bomb) and the dude in the balaclava is a SpecOps agent of some sort?
With that said, I'd probably use her as a shield while querying both of them their agendas, then acting accordingly. (shoot the terrorist/s)

Also, quick question: What caliber is the handgun? It makes a difference to handling recoil and whether one shot is enough to down someone.

Shoot the guy, pocket the pistol, grab the guys rifle, start playing CoD in real life.

ElPatron:

Battleaxx90:
and notice a small handgun, as well as a few clips of ammunition for it.

Magazines.

Those are called magazines.

Fixed. Thanks!

Press '`'

Type the god mode command.

Press enter.

Have fun.

5 minutes later I'm bored and I alt+F4.

Seriously though, it's awfully suspicious that the man is never said to actually be a terrorist, and the girl happens to have a gun and trust you enough to give it to you. Is that the twist? bad guy good guy reversal?

Battleaxx90:

imahobbit4062:
I'd shoot the man regardless of the woman. However, in your scenario, I'd shoot the man, give the pistol to the woman (if she can load it she can damn well learn to shoot it) grab the rifle off the man plus whatever ammo he may be carrying, and start heading back the direction we came from and make sure the woman tells me what her bloody name is.

See that part I bolded? I just wanted to congratulate you on picking up that little piece of information. Well done.

One down, two to go.

Not sure if I'm late to the party, but you placed emphasis on her khaki. Clearly she's a field agent of some kind.

OT: Someone already said it, but fire the pistol, then go for the guy's rifle, giving her the pistol.

I've had some experience with shotguns and rifles, so I may have a chance. :D

Spot1990:
Piss myself and get shot.

Actually laughed so hard at this after reading that wall of text

Chances are the girl is the terrorist (seeing as how she can load a gun, she's probably trained to use one, which she might have picked up in terrorist basic training) and by handing the gun to you, she's hoping that the Balaclava guy (who's an actual spec ops agent) is going to identify you as a terrorist and shoot you dead, hopefully after being wounded by you first. Then, after rescuing the supposed damsel in distress, the Balaclava guy is going to get shot in the back by the girl (after she picks up the gun from your perforated corpse, possibly by graciously offering to cover the spec ops guy), allowing her to continue her mission.

Edit: Which would mean she now has a rifle and a disguise, including a very useful Balaclava (assuming she didn't shoot the guy in the head).

I was suspicious when she asked if she could sit next to me. It's a train, people never ask they just sit next you, being all elbowy.

Edit - I also liked the bit where the ipad died.

Is she stupid? I don't know how to shoot! Or how to kill! what end makes the loud noi-BANG OW JESUS MY FACE. I SHOT MYSELF IN THE FAAAAAAAACE

And then either we die, or she saves my stupid ass.

Well, I actually have some experience with firearms, and in the scenario in my head we'd have at least 10 or so seconds to get behind some cover before the masked dude gets close enough to not have his view obstructed.

So I'll wait until the guy is close and check him out. If he looks like he COULD be a soldier, then I'll call out from within cover and ask his motives. If he looks like an obvious bad guy, then I'll shoot first and (most likely) hit him. Then I'd call out the girl and ask why the fuck she didn't try to shoot (EDIT: the gun) herself since she clearly knows how to handle a gun and even implied she's a soldier, while looting the dead dude.

Spot1990:

you win the thread

i would have a mexican stand of with the guy...so when the shit hits the fan the woman might get caught in crossfire and it will be UBER TARANTINO FUNNY!

Too many variables,

-what sort of rifle does belaclava man have?
-What clothes is he wearing?
-What is his body language? is his weapon up or is it lowered? How is he holding it?
-Does he have any identifying patches on?

As it stands,

Do I win?

PS-if this unknown terroist group has actually managed to stage a full on invasion, I ride my pink unicorn to safety on the moon.

Battleaxx90:

Zen Toombs:
snip

This is the kind of answer I'm looking for, btw.

It actually interests me how many different kinds of responses there are to this situation. Truth be told, I only expected people to give either troll responses, jerk responses, or the kind of response I wanted. I got that, and everything in between. Thanks, guys! You've all given me some insight on how a normal person would react in this situation!

Okay, I guess I should come clean. That story I wrote at the beginning? It's actually based off the first half of this short story I'm writing. Before I wrote the second half, I said to myself: "How would a normal person react in this situation?" I have Aspergers Syndrome, which essentially means my train of thought runs on a different set of tracks than the average person, and I doubt the protagonist of this story has Aspies as well.

Once again, this has been a real big help. Thanks!

Also, in regards to everybody asking why she's giving YOU the gun, I say this: Did I ever say that she was unarmed? Or defenceless?

That's the thing, most normal (AKA Average Joe/Jane) people would end the story with how I ended (The "Swiss Cheese" death). Same thing happens with zombie stories; every gamer in the world thinks they're going to be the survivor and not the zombie who gets his head blown off by the solider who actually knows what they're doing.

For example, OVERPUCE mentioned that the weapon being loaded isn't enough, you'd have to chamber a round for a pistol. Show of hands gamers (be honest!), how many of you knew that AND know how to do that (no, "I saw the Call of Duty guy do it so I could figure it out" is not an acceptable answer).

If you are writing a short story, you have to give a reason for why this character knows how to handle a weapon. Shit, if anything, just give him the "Gun Range" reason xSKULLY gave: Believable and with luck, could be a reason for him to actually survive the situation. There's a reason a hero is the hero; what's happening to him/her is not what would normally happen to the person. Most characters are the NPC's who get cannon-foddered.

My first response would be to give the gun back to the girl, as she clearly knows more about handguns than I do. (I have handled rifles and shotguns a few times, but it was a long time ago and I was completely crap at it.)

If you are looking for advice on what a normal person would do in this situation, keep in mind that what people think they would do and what they would actually do are two entirely different things. Still, this was a good idea and hopefully these responses will be useful. Good luck!

I wake up! Y'know, since this is some kind of juvenile pipe-dream. I must have been watching Die Hard the night before and fell asleep after wanking with a handful of motor oil.

Oh fine, I'll humor you.

Mystery girl apparently already knows how to handle a gun better than I do. I hand it back to her, and tell her to cover me while I charge the "terrorist" with a piece of rebar.

Yeah, I'll probably die. But I'd die anyway. I'm a lousy shot, and she'd have a better chance at killing the guy. She's the effing Mystery Girl, after all, and a moving target is harder to hit and he has to decide which target to shoot at. Meanwhile, I'm closing with my rebar and MG is drawing a bead on him.

Shoot the terrorist in a graceful and heroic passion!
...or urinate and get shot dead.
Of course I could alternatively open my eyes and be all "Oh thank goodness! It was all just a dream!" or something as equally cliched as the entire story.

Spot1990:

You gotta love that this is the first answer we see.

OT: I'm going to do exactly as this captcha is bidding me.

"White. Bread."

Now that won't be healthy for the guy whatsoever.

He'll be so morally shocked and aggrivated that you forced such an unhealthy choice into his mouth instead of wholewheat or rye, he'll storm home immediately to rant about it on his blog.

This is actually the most fun I've ever had out of a captcha response

Panic, flail wildly and hope she has a gun and can use it better than me.

Battleaxx90:

What do you do?

at first i thought she had a bomb in her rucksack since she avoids to tell you where she has to leave the train and you have already develpoed a kind and long conversation with her.

then the explosion occured and i was almost sure that something around her was strange.

then i read about the terrorist organisation and was about to leave her there since she might get up and blow herself up.

then i read about the dude and she 'quickly and skilfully places a magazine from the briefcase into the pistol, turns the safety off, and hands it to you handle-first'.

'normal' people do not load and turn the safety off that quickly.

so the conclussion is that she is a fucking terrorist (more so as she ask you if you are a 'soldier'.)or she might be a agent (but its more unlikely.)

so the questions are:
why does the big guy not shoot us from far away?
why does he stroll to us? does he know her or does he think we won't have a chance?
why does the skilled woman hand me the gun when she is more fit to use it?

so my course of action would be to hide the gun on my back since the guy does not immediately fire on you.
wait for him to get closer and try to find out who he is. (terrorist or special ops)
and if he is the 'bad' guy, distract him and use the new element of suprise to put a bullet into his brain.

then either gain the trust of her so you can both flee (she gets the gun i get the dudes rifle), move to safety and if possible or nessesary 'dump' her or straight out incapacitate her and flee.

never trust a beautiful woman, especially one who's interested in you - Magneto

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked