33.3% (12)
No
47.2% (17)
47.2% (17)
I don't know
16.7% (6)
16.7% (6)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Can George Zimmerman get a fair trial ?

Can the man who shot Trayvon Martin still get a fair trial after the media blitz that surrounded the death ?

If he does go free, will there be riots ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17691459

I've said it before and i'll say it again....

Tie him to a metal chair and throw him in a pond. If he floats he's a witch if he sinks he's not.

I resort to comedy answers because the whole thing is already a farce. Even if it does go the way of self defence the media have people so wound up that he's life will be royally fucked for a while anyway.

Rawne1980:
I've said it before and i'll say it again....

Tie him to a metal chair and throw him in a pond. If he floats he's a witch if he sinks he's not.

Damn right. Once again I find myself agreeing with Rawne, this is clearly the way to go, I mean -

Rawne1980:
I resort to comedy answers

Wait, comedy answers? Um... Yeah. Forget it. Never said anything.

OT: I have no idea. Judges are paid to be cool under pressure and not let outside factors/emotions cloud their judgment, but if Zimmerman goes on trail, one thing is for certain: the media will cover it 24/7 and do their hardest to get in the way.

As Rawne said, whatever happens, Zimmerman is fucked anyway. I hope the police are protecting him, otherwise hes probably going to be shot himself in the next few days.

Sybrina Fulton, Trayvon Martin's mother, told NBC's Today show that she did not think Mr Zimmerman had intended to kill her son.

"I believe it was an accident," she said on Thursday. "I believe that it just got out of control and he couldn't turn the clock back," she said...

Holy shit... I did not see that one coming. Her composure is remarkable given the circumstances. Now if the media and public could just take a step back.

I've seen episodes of Law and Order that were less far-fetched than this whole incident, unfortunately.

Ok, so my phone won't let me quote, but this is in part directed at SmashLovesTitanQuest. while there will be a judge in the courtroom, this will be a trial by jury. The judge is basically just there to keep the lawyers from being dicks and to basically make the jury's verdict offical.

While I personally think that Zimmerman is guilty, I don't think he can get a fair trial. This is, in my mind, because of two major reasons. Firstly, because of the treatment of the case in the media, there is no way that a jury can be impartial in their feelings about this case. There has been far too much talk about both his innocence and his guilt, with a greater emphasis on his guilt. The other reason is due to the other really high profile case in Florida that ended last year, the Casey Anthony case, where the defendent got off on the charge of mudering her infant daughter. I think that there is no way that acquittal doesn't affect the jury, and not in Zimmerman's favor.

NO, the man can not get a fair trial because he has already been tried by the media and the country at large. Finding an impartial jury will be like trying to find life on Mars- it theoretically exists but good luck locating it.

The whole thing is idiotic.
Whether he is racist or not is not an issue. He was neighborhood watch, not police, and he went looking for trouble.
Hit him in the dick with a brick, serve some time in jail, and prohibit him from coming near a firearm or children ever again. Done.

Brett Dumain:
NO, the man can not get a fair trial because he has already been tried by the media and the country at large. Finding an impartial jury will be like trying to find life on Mars- it theoretically exists but good luck locating it.

Yeah well, that's what you get for running jury trials. This is why I prefer civil law over common law, the verdict is passed by people who are actually experts in law and who can be impartial.

A jury can always be manipulated.

no because the jury will be made up of citizens (because thats such a good idea, why use people who understand laws and the court system jury when you can pick random idiots! /sarcasm) and due to all the media hype they will all be biased coming into the trial which is against the law (but is a law clearly not upheld) and also becuase in a fair trial zimmerman is probably innocent because the criteria for being guilty is to be proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt and there is allot of doubt around this case, a hell of allot and unless something big slipped by me there is no conclusive evidence zimmerman is guilty (the phone calls are not conclusive evidence)

but because martin is black and because of the biased way the news showed it zimmeremna will be found guilty

He can get a fair trial if it is decided by a judge alone.

By jury, though? No chance.

captcha: hard and fast
I guess that would be the trial.

I don't agree with him killing the kid, even if it was self defense. Cops told him to move on and not worry about it and he went and looked for trouble so this whole situation is nobodies fault but his own.

As for this being a hate crime? I really don't think thats the case anymore. After hearing that the media altered 911 calls to make him seem racist, I'm thinking this was just more a situation of a dumb do-gooder trying to do a cops job and things getting too hot and shit just hits the fan. Dude should still get some sort of sentence though as he did kill an innocent kid. Self defense or not, that's just bullshit.

But to answer your question, no he won't get a fair trial. The media has butchered this story and distorted the facts so much that its almost impossible for this trial to be fair.

I'm less interested in the fate of this one man than on the impact this case can hopefully have against the totally retarded Florida self-defense laws.

If OJ and Casey Anthony can get acquitted despite the large hatred towards them and their alleged crimes, then I'm sure Zimmerman can too.

magicmonkeybars:
Can the man who shot Trayvon Martin still get a fair trial after the media blitz that surrounded the death ?

Yes, he can. It won't be as easy as it normally is though.

magicmonkeybars:
If he does go free, will there be riots ?

Quite possibly, but they wouldn't be justified.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked