Guys, what do you think about make-up?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I'm not one to talk when even I think I look bad but I find makeup just ruins peoples looks. When someone looks at you they want to see you, not a bunch of makeup. You might as well go around wearing a paper bag on your head with a pretty face drawn on it.

Day to day I usually wear a light foundation, light pink eyeshadow and mascara, a very light amount of a light pink lipstick.
I used to go extremely overboard, but now other than the eyeshadow nothing really changes.

If I go to something fancy I may add some eyeliner and a bit of blush, but still, nothing too obvious.

Even dressing fancy up my face doesn't really change, I just go through it because I like to.

I don't pay attention to it, I mean I could maybe raise an eyebrown for a second if I see a guy wear make-up and maybe worry a bit because he may get shot for acting like a "fag".

Personally, I only use make-up when I perform on a play, I don't like how it feels on my face.

My husband dislikes make-up, and I agree with him. He says, "Any make-up is too much." Not only is it expensive, it's bad for the skin. I felt 'pretty' for the first three minutes after putting it on, but felt absolutely gross by mid-day; and I wasn't a fan of reapplying. You either had to wash your face and start over from wherever you were, or cake more on top. I'd end up just washing it all off and feeling ten times better. Now, I just wash my face regularly with coconut oil soap, use an oatmeal based moisturizer/light sunblock with a spot of acne cream in it; twice a day. SKIN CARE!

I like dramatic eyeliner but I can't be doing with anything else. I've tried making myself look smooth and flawless, so to speak, but then I look in the mirror and it's not my face. I have red bits round my nose, I have a big red scar on my jaw, this is my face and regardless of whether or not anyone else thinks it's terrible or not, it's what I look like and it's the face I like to wear.

Also, I like being able to scratch.

If it is well done, then great. Really I don't want to sound awful but for a lot of girls, make-up really helps. And I do like the idea of someone making an effort for something like a date.

I'm like others though that I like it to be subtle, to look like this is her natural apperance rather then being plastered in the stuff.

@lilithslave: That is a horrible position to put a boy in. I've been in it and I hate it, because you know she wants your opinion but you don't want to imply that on normal days your lady partner isn't the prettiest girl int he world to you. But at the same time you want to recognize her effort.

I usually go for the "You like especially nice this day" but that does always sound kind of weaselly.

Make up looks nice. Though for time and effort for outcome isn't worth it.

I wouldn't hold it against someone if they didn't wear make up. I dont. Why should they?.

I don't mind a bit of make-up. I appreciate the effort girls take to look good, I really do, and if make-up makes them feel pretty, more power to them. However, less is better, imo. A close friend of mine looks really, really, smokin' hot with make-up on, but when there's less or even none of it, she's breathtakingly beautiful.

I don't wear makeup, for various reasons I've never had the realistic oppurtunity. However, even if I could without people treating me weird, I still wouldn't. I guess I just don't care about looking good? No, that's a lie, I suppose I just don't think that makeup makes people look good? No, that's still not right, let me think about this.

I've always thought I look alright just how I am. I rarely get my hair cut because I like my hair as it is, I don't bother with what clothes I wear, because I reckon I look alright no matter what I wear. But that sounds like me boasting that I'm naturally beautiful, but it isn't. I guess I just don't give a shit? Everyone looks pretty alright to me, I couldn't tell you who looks ravishing and who looks horrendous. It probably helps that I'm kind of a loner and so rarely have to make an effort to look "good", because all of my friends don't give a flying fuck what I look like.

I've forgotten what point I'm even trying to make. Oh yeah, makeup? It's alright, if you're into that kind of thing, I'm not.

Oh, man, it's loads of fun! I mean, not looking like a clown or anything, but, you know, just enough to make you look sexy, and-

...oh... wait... you mean, like, uh, girls wearing it? Um. Yeah, that's. Okay. I guess.

I've gotta disagree that it's not as all "for the benefit of men". How else does one judge beauty nowadays other than what the opposite gender deems it to be? I know some amazingly beautiful women who think they're hideous because no matter what they do with themselves, they don't look exactly like those twigs masquerading as women in Victoria's secret catalogs. And unfortunately, that image exists in the fashion industry, because the average man likes it. Though I know so many guys that hate it, that I believe they'd be just fine without the twig look. But that's a whole other argument.

I know I've asked women why they put so much makeup on, and more than a few times I've gotten "because my boyfriend likes it" or "so guys will notice me more". Even when I ask my own girlfriend, I'll get "I wanna look good for you". I'm not saying it's solely for our benefit, but it's naive to think there's nothing to that. I'm sure a lot of women do it just to feel attractive to themselves, but I know for a fact that some women do it at least partially "for the benefit of men". I don't think it's right or that they should, I just don't see how one can converse and not think it's at least a small factor to some.

To answer the original question however, I prefer a completely makeup-less look. A small amount here and there can look good if done right, but more often than not, it detracts from the woman's attractiveness.

I don't have particularly strong feelings about make-up one way or the other, regardless of the gender using it.

I dislike it when the person using it is only using it out of a sense of obligation... but if people are using it because that's how they want to express themselves rather than because "society demands it," that's fine by me.

I guess just be yourself. That's what I find attractive in a person.

If it's noticeable, then it's bad. Too bad that as a 16 year old, half the girls in school seem to wear makeup that's so excessive it makes them look like a complete mess.

I don't like make up, and I'm find myself put off of girls/women who wear excessive amounts of it. I'd prefer to see a woman's natural face.

TheVioletBandit:
I really don't care if women wear make up or not, I just wish I could wear some war paint.

O.O

BluebellForest:

zehydra:
lol I know you probably don't think so but that sounds kind of cute lol

I'd like to say that it looks cute but it makes a huge contrast with my pale skin and isn't at all attractive, especially as it spreads to most of my face and makes me look like Rudolph :|

Rudolph is cute.
In a totally non-fury type way.

Phasmal:
It's funny. A lot of guys will say they like the natural look, when they really like neutral make up. Not a lot of women go out with none on.

I for one cant afford make up at the moment (its a rip off), and can't wear it either cause of my super sensitive skin. I like make up but I don't really bother, this is why:

Me (wearing make up): Do I look nice?
Boyfriend: You always look nice.
Me: Yeah but I'm making an effort to look nice.

I love him, but I could strangle him sometimes. I don't always look nice, the flithy liar. <3

MetalMagpie:

Yeah, I get this with my boyfriend too (but swapping makeup for clothes). I found an amazing dress for the office christmas party last year. My mum knows the drill, and practically started crying at how beautiful she said I looked. This is the best my boyfriend could manage:

Me: What do you think?
Him: It's nice.
Me: Do I look sexy?
Him: You always look sexy.
Me: I mean, especially sexy.
Him: You always look especially sexy.

Men are filthy liars. But I suspect they do it because they think it's what we want to hear.

Or MAYBE girls,
just MAYBE, There are some men out there in this big old wide world who don't think you look pretty just because you're wearing a nice dress or make-up.
Some women I find beautiful no matter WHAT they wear.
Hell I'm attracted to some girls even when they aren't wearing anything at all!
But I guess I'm just some kind of freak ;)

Seventh Actuality:
"Ugh...I hate how girls cake themselves in make-up, it's so artifical! Why do girls do that?"

"OH MY GOD IT'S A GIRL I DON'T WANT TO MASTURBATE TO HAHA LOOK AT THAT WORTHLESS HUMAN BEING."

YEAH ugly people should just go KILL THEMSELVES!
Now excuse me I have to get back to playing COD on Xbox Live.

I rarely wear makeup. When I do, it's because I want to.

Stasisesque:

And boys, we wear makeup because it makes us feel pretty - and when we feel pretty, we feel happy, and when we feel happy, we achieve more. We don't do it for you, sorry.

You worded it much better than I could. I'm hardly about to stop wearing makeup (on the rare occasions I do wear it) or wear it more often because someone else does or doesn't like it.

I'm not into make-up... I'm not very sure what I can say here, but I guess I'm just interested in ladies that look more natural than ... other people.

I'm a guy so I dont really get it, but from an outside perspective, it seems really idiotic! Why cake youself with chemicals and creams that dont even do half the stuff that the adverts say they do?

All natural, make-up to me is like wearing a mask and it's only good for hiding who you really are.

If it makes you look better and I don't notice it, then by all means. I'm not going to get in the way of science that pop girls up a letter grade.lol

I don't like any at all. I think all makeup is unattractive.

It's funny. A lot of guys will say they like the natural look, when they really like neutral make up. Not a lot of women go out with none on.

I for one cant afford make up at the moment (its a rip off), and can't wear it either cause of my super sensitive skin. I like make up but I don't really bother, this is why:

Me (wearing make up): Do I look nice?
Me: Yeah but I'm making an effort to look nice.

I love him, but I could strangle him sometimes. I don't always look nice, the flithy liar. <3

To a guy those questions always seem like a horrible trap. If you say you always look nice you get mad (as seen). If he says that you look better than you normally do then tomorrow when that crap's gone, you'll be mad. It's all a horrible and scary web of feelings and we pick the lesser evil.

As with everything, moderation. I don't like lots, but apparently none at all isn't good. Whatever makes the lady feel comfortable whether its a little or none at all. I just hope she uses it lightly and doesn't over-do it...

Almost every time I have the makeup/self esteem discussion with a woman, I wind up hitting a raw nerve or three. Our culture is throwing more expectations at women today than ever before, and they're often contradictory. Not sure where the desire to conform to those expectations comes from, but it makes a mess of a lot of psyches.

My personal preference is a natural or minimalist look, but I also don't have a thing for going on dates, theater performances, fashion, or any of the other activities that absolutely expect a woman to paint herself and dress a certain way.
...unless you count camouflage. I've helped several attractive young women with properly applying face paint meant to break up the outline of their face and help 'em blend into scenery. Usually when training in a swamp.

Girls wear makeup to be more appealing to men. I like either no make up or a small amount. One of the only girls i ever loved put on some mascara and that's all.

The only make-up I can approve of on a woman is whatever you need to emphasize the eyes. No more.

Works with some girls. For others it just brings out the ugly.

Make-up is ok in moderation. Not when there is a two meter layer of that in someones face. That doesn't look good at all imo.

it's like anything else, when it's done properly, it can do amazing things.

when done improperly, it can turn bad into much worse

A little make-up to show of some features sure. But those oompa-loompa looking motherfuckers with that Jersey Shore lookin browncream shit look fucking retarded. Sorry for the hostility but those women need to be beaten with lead pipes until some sense returns to their feeble brains. You're white, making your face look like a turd-cake while the rest of your body is white looks fucking moronic.

That or when women wear so much make-up that if they sneeze their face falls off are gross as well. Have some goddamn class when using make-up. More isn't necessarily "better".

Meh, sparingly or not at all. Well applied makeup can look really good, but I don't really think it's ever necessary.

My wife only ever wears a tiny bit of foundation, and I think she looks great.

I call it my war paint, and I wear it when I need a boost.

DVS BSTrD:

MetalMagpie:

Yeah, I get this with my boyfriend too (but swapping makeup for clothes). I found an amazing dress for the office christmas party last year. My mum knows the drill, and practically started crying at how beautiful she said I looked. This is the best my boyfriend could manage:

Me: What do you think?
Him: It's nice.
Me: Do I look sexy?
Him: You always look sexy.
Me: I mean, especially sexy.
Him: You always look especially sexy.

Men are filthy liars. But I suspect they do it because they think it's what we want to hear.

Or MAYBE girls,
just MAYBE, There are some men out there in this big old wide world who don't think you look pretty just because you're wearing a nice dress or make-up.
Some women I find beautiful no matter WHAT they wear.
Hell I'm attracted to some girls even when they aren't wearing anything at all!
But I guess I'm just some kind of freak ;)

*laughs* What I meant was that after we've spent 80 on a dress (or 2 hours putting on makeup) it's nice to hear that it was actually worth it! But a lot of guys seem either completely oblivious to clothes/makeup, or think that implying our appearance could be improved in any way (i.e. we didn't resemble an absolute goddess to begin with) will bruise our sensitive egos. (The fact that this is sometimes true is not the point. ;) )

We girls do hope you guys still think we're pretty in a paint-stained tracksuit with our hair in a state. But we also hope we look better when we dress up. Otherwise we're doing it wrong!

Maybe you're an exception, but I think most people can notice the difference when someone wears nice clothes.

Hate women with way too much make-up.

I'd like to add onto this the following: Piercings, Colored Nails, Fake Nails, Fake Tanner, Fried-Chicken-Tan.

Worst case scenario: All of the above combined.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked