Unpopular Opinions

Pages PREV 1 . . . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 . . . 26 NEXT

Matthew94:

orangeban:

Matthew94:

That's the thing, young people will most likely join the work force in the future and begin to pay taxes (other than the VAT they already pay on goods) and most elderly people will have worked for a long time which is why they get benefits. Unless they are scroungers, unemployed people generally try to find work and do not stay unemployed their entire lives.

The same cannot be said of vegetables. They will leach off the state from the minute they are born until they are dead and will never pay back a single penny in taxes, ever.

Also, vegetative is a word. Hell, it's even classified as a disorder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistent_vegetative_state

The point of paying taxes into the government so that the government will in return provide free services is that we help those incapable of paying for those services. The idea is that we don't value people by how much the contribute to society, but rather we recognise that they are human and are deserving of things like health-care because they are human.

Here's a question, why should a "vegetable" (do we have to use that term? It seems very dehumanising) who is rich be allowed to live, but a poor person not be allowed to (because they/their family can't afford healthcare)?

Firstly, how did the vegetable earn money? If you are talking about someone who earned money then became a vegetable then they should be entitled to it seeing as they were contributing before their unfortunate demise. If they earned a lot of money then it seems rational to think they paid a lot of it in taxes too.

If it was someone who was a vegetable and was handed lots of money they should be able to use that money to fund their healthcare.

My original point was towards people born with the illness, I hope you read it and didn't just jump on midway.

Yeah, I did read it, sorry if my point wasn't clear, I'll rephrase it.

Why should a vegatitive person with a rich family be allowed to live, but a vegatitive person who can't afford healthcare be forced to die?

Grey Day for Elcia:

deathzero021:
3. religion is the single worst thing to happen to our society.

Hey, now! No! Just no!

Obviously Nickelback is the worst thing to ever happen to our society.

your lucky you live in an age where religion isn't completely killing the world (however look at 9-11) and much more to come, i'm sure of it. towers will continue to fall due to this ridiculous religion war. dumbest reason for war really.

also are you talking about the band???

Grey Day for Elcia:

Matthew94:
words 'n' stuff

I don't think you understand what a strawman is.

You: "They will leach off the state from the minute they are born."

Me: "Human life is only worth what it can give back to the state."

Don't try to change your words after you've said them, silly billy.

I do understand what a strawman is. You are trying to say my point simply comes from their human capital alone which isn't my point. You also twisted my words.

You said "if someone is unlikely to be able to pay taxes"

I have used the word "never" to refer to vegetables many times during the thread.

I strongly believe in the death penalty. But not for a life = a life. I think 2, maybe 3+ murders should be punished with death. And I also believe that if there is ANY shadow of a doubt that the assailant didn't actually do it, or doesn't meet the parameters for it (And of which there will be many), then don't bite the bullet and give him death.

I am strongly against Marijuana, and don't all you stoners ever try to change that, because all they've ever done while trying to make me 'a believer' is make me think that it's street name should be 'the stoopid drugh' (obviously said in a deep, slurred voice) I don't think it should be legalized at all, and all the reasons stoners routinely give for it to be legalized is absolute bullshit, and would never bloody work in the real world. Like you care about the economy, the paper industry, the health services, in all likelihood you're just a adolescent American that wants to be able to get blazed in public, and somehow you feel the right to be able to do that because the Dutch take such a relaxed view to it... Maybe I'm generalizing, maybe some stoners are quite intelligent, and know what the hell they're talking about, but they are REAAALLY in the minority, that's all most things in a democracy needs... Most stoners are idiocy ridden, delinquent, anti-conformists that constantly want to 'fight the man' for mostly no good reason. They are modern day anarchists, without the lasting legacy. And I dunno about you, but I don't really want to encourage that.

I believe that euthanasia should be legal. I've always believed that people should have the right to end their life, provided that they give one last contribution back to the country, or state in which they came, be it money, a service, whatever. And have a 6 month to a year therapy course or something to try and talk them out of it.

And I believe that parents should chose if their child should live or die if they're faced with real, REAL crippling mental or physical disorders that the parents feel either they can't handle, or the child can't handle.

There is nothing worse than a struggling family- like, literally on the edge of being homeless, because they had a child that was a problem from day one. I know it's hard to understand, so I need to give some context.

And yes I know that picture is intended to be used in a dark humorous context, but that shit, or that shits equivalent does happen very often.

Yeah, that. If that happens, I don't think it's wise to let the parents have to fight through that, let alone the child. Sure people get all angsty about how life is sacred and stuff, but let's face it, in that situation, life really isn't worth it. That kid is never going to work, enjoy life, find love, or achieve any one of his dreams. It's all in the hands of the parents, and they're people too.

Matthew94:

Grey Day for Elcia:
Calm down, there. No need to caps lock and rage. As I was saying: Hitler wasn't too down with the idea of any race but German being portrayed as anything more than weak, inferior and worthless.

That's not true, he promoted the Aryan race, not the German race. There is a marked difference.

Aryan isn't a race, sweetie. It's a concept. A concept that comes from the idea that Nordic blood lines are superior to others. Hitler believed Germans (and only Germans) were the most superior of these bloodlines.

You tried, though.

S1leNt RIP:

The only truly OP champ was release Xin Zhao.

I thought Twitch with a 140% asp boost and unlimited shots for the duration on Spray n Pray was OP. The champion i've seen more noobs get pentakills on than any other. Even with all the nerfs hes had, he's still my favourite carry.

Pantheon had a bug where each heartseeker tick scaled 1:1. Anivia could sit in the fountain and spam q outside the game walls and activate it which made the game apply the hit to the whole map. Nasus's siphon strike used to be percentage health based so you could farm it to 100% and one shot someone regardless of health or armour they bought.

orangeban:

Matthew94:

orangeban:

The point of paying taxes into the government so that the government will in return provide free services is that we help those incapable of paying for those services. The idea is that we don't value people by how much the contribute to society, but rather we recognise that they are human and are deserving of things like health-care because they are human.

Here's a question, why should a "vegetable" (do we have to use that term? It seems very dehumanising) who is rich be allowed to live, but a poor person not be allowed to (because they/their family can't afford healthcare)?

Firstly, how did the vegetable earn money? If you are talking about someone who earned money then became a vegetable then they should be entitled to it seeing as they were contributing before their unfortunate demise. If they earned a lot of money then it seems rational to think they paid a lot of it in taxes too.

If it was someone who was a vegetable and was handed lots of money they should be able to use that money to fund their healthcare.

My original point was towards people born with the illness, I hope you read it and didn't just jump on midway.

Yeah, I did read it, sorry if my point wasn't clear, I'll rephrase it.

Why should a vegatitive person with a rich family be allowed to live, but a vegatitive person who can't afford healthcare be forced to die?

I never explicitly said that but I will answer it.

The vegetable in the rich family would live because they could pay for their own healthcare and help to avoid most of the cost of the vegetable on society. The poor family couldn't offset those costs, they would drain every last penny they could from the state.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/22/the-cost-of-autism/

I'm using extreme autism as an example:

Direct medical and nonmedical costs can add up to as much as $72,000 a year for someone with an extreme case of the disorder

The cost of their disorder can be as high as $72,000 per person per year and most likely higher for the disorders I'm referring to which cause them to be in a vegetative state. So for every vegetable you euthanise you could hire 1-2 teachers in the USA (depending on state), who could each provide an education to many students.

Syzygy23:

Rowan93:
God does not exist, and when I discover someone believes in god my respect of them drops considerably.

Yeah, that's a pretty common "upopular opinion", but still.

For a less common unpopular opinion... When I heard that Newt Gingrich promised a moon base by the end of his second term, I decided if he actually meant that, I didn't care what his other policies were.
And that's actually true, if a potential leader (I'm not American, so I should probably be talking about hypothetical Prime Ministers so it's my own country's freedom on the line) promised a permanent moon base in eight years, and could be trusted to deliver on that, I wouldn't care if the candidate was actually Adolf Hitler, I would vote for him and advise any Jewish or homosexual friends of mine to flee while they can.

So yeah, I guess I either care that little for other people's lives, or that much about space. Probably a bit of both.

Oh, one more, which I'm not sure if it's unpopular or not: The singularity is near. I put about a 50% chance on "by the mid-2030s".

You don't respect people for believing in God yet you would have voted for somebody based on the fact that they promised a moonbase in 8 years?

Sorry, but that is just... that is just plain stupid.

I added "and if they could be trusted to deliver on that". In the real world, campaign promises are worth Jack and shit (and Jack left town), and I'm not dumb enough to think Gingrich could realistically be expected to deliver.

But, on the other hand, I'm not American, so my vote doesn't exist, doesn't count for much, and there's much less risk if he actually gets into power, so he can still have my imaginary vote based on that promise alone.

Or are you actually talking about a moonbase in 8 years not being worth it?

Grey Day for Elcia:

Matthew94:

Grey Day for Elcia:
Calm down, there. No need to caps lock and rage. As I was saying: Hitler wasn't too down with the idea of any race but German being portrayed as anything more than weak, inferior and worthless.

That's not true, he promoted the Aryan race, not the German race. There is a marked difference.

Aryan isn't a race, sweetie. It's a concept. A concept that comes from the idea that Nordic blood lines are superior to others. Hitler believed Germans (and only Germans) were the most superior of these bloodlines.

You tried, though.

1. You are being pedantic

2. If he thought only the Germans and only the Germans were the best, why did he want to coexist and ally with the UK?

Matthew94:
2. If he thought only the Germans and only the Germans were the best, why did he want to coexist and ally with the UK?

Coexist and ally with the UK? You know there was a war and stuff, yeah?

Matthew94:
I have used the word "never" to refer to vegetables many times during the thread.

Correct. You said someone who is never able to pay taxes should be without healthcare, therefor leaving them to die. Hey, if you think an inability to give money to the government should mean you are void of the right to be looked after by hospitals and such, go right on ahead believing that. You'll grow out of it eventually. I know you were bullied in school and it made life shitty for you. I don't know what the school was or how bad it was, but you you said it affected you, so it can't be a good thing. But just because your school life sucked doesn't mean you need to pretend to be mature and beyond this whole concept of caring for people. Lots of teenagers go through it. Hell, my boyfriend sees it happen and he is studying with other adults at colleague. Get a bunch of people into a classroom and the urge for some of them to prove their dominance in a small community is apparently overwhelming.

Speaking of the other half, he is probably wondering why I am not in bed despite it being 04:30 in the morning >< We got off on the wrong foot, but hopefully you can see past your bullying and eventually get over this attitude. It would be healthy for you, imo.

Grey Day for Elcia:

Matthew94:

Look it up, he wanted to ally with the UK and he respected it. He never wanted to go to war with the UK.

WW2 didn't immediately start once he got in power, he was in power for a good few years prior to it's beginning.

Matthew94:

Grey Day for Elcia:

Matthew94:

Look it up, he wanted to ally with the UK and he respected it. He never wanted to go to war with the UK.

WW2 didn't immediately start once he got in power, he was in power for a good few years prior to it's beginning.

Yeah, it's a misconception that Britain and France started the war because we didn't like what Hitler was doing with his whole Aryan race thing. We also didn't join in order to protect Jewish people. We started the war because Hitler started aggresively expanding his borders and he was openly critical of the Treaty of Versailles.

Grey Day for Elcia:

Matthew94:

Correct. You said someone who is never able to pay taxes should be without healthcare, therefor leaving them to die. Hey, if you think an inability to give money to the government should mean you are void of the right to be looked after by hospitals and such, go right on ahead believing that. You'll grow out of it eventually. I know you were bullied in school and it made life shitty for you. I don't know what the school was or how bad it was, but you you said it affected you, so it can't be a good thing. But just because your school life sucked doesn't mean you need to pretend to be mature and beyond this whole concept of caring for people. Lots of teenagers go through it. Hell, my boyfriend sees it happen and he is studying with other adults at colleague. Get a bunch of people into a classroom and the urge for some of them to prove their dominance in a small community is apparently overwhelming.

Speaking of the other half, he is probably wondering why I am not in bed despite it being 04:30 in the morning >< We got off on the wrong foot, but hopefully you can see past your bullying and eventually get over this attitude. It would be healthy for you, imo.

I think this is irrelevant to our argument so I'll just focus on the last line of your post.

I hope this was just a case of us getting off on the wrong foot. Maybe I will change my attitude in the future. If I do and we are both still on the escapist, I'll PM you and let you know you were right.

orangeban:

Matthew94:

Grey Day for Elcia:

Yeah, it's a misconception that Britain and France started the war because we didn't like what Hitler was doing with his whole Aryan race thing. We also didn't join in order to protect Jewish people. We started the war because Hitler started aggresively expanding his borders and he was openly critical of the Treaty of Versailles.

As I reckon you know, he was more than critical of it, he blatantly defied it. After events like the Rhineland and the Sudetenland they didn't want him going any further, as you said.

I think that support to the poor should be cut off. (my name is a funny coincidence and not related to this opinion) Not to 3ed world countries, but to poor people in 1st world countries. Did you ever wonder how a homeless person became homeless? By failing. Most of the time in a way that hurt someone ells. If they don't have the skills to get themselves out, and if they ever did become a member of society couldn't be a productive one, then why should we help them?

Related to my above opinion, I think America is doing it wrong. Not just internally, but in its foreign policy as well. America has now become the police of the world, and we think that's reason to stick out noses in everybody's events. The tiniest roomer about a country, and America is swarming the beaches of the place. I'm not saying that we should become a introverted soly self surviving country, but that we should tone it down by a lot.

I also think that nuclear power is the best option we have for power, but that's not as unpopular as my others.

I think being dismissive and angry to something you do not like does not equal being intelligent or thought provoking. Or Hell, even correct.

Most people hate ideas because those backing these ideas are vocal about said ideas and push their agenda through their ideas constantly. If you are often vocal and vicious against said idea, you've simply become the antithesis of the idea. Just as bad, even if it sides to what you think is correct.

Because Lo and Behold... they think they are correct as well. And it will just cause more of a 'us against them' idea that so many people like to rally behind.

ablac:

Rikomag132:

ablac:
Major snip

Well, this IS a thread called unpopular opinions. And I knew that that opinion is unpopular, but I still think first world countries are assholes.

I-Protest-I:
A fight should not be broken up between 2 men who disagree, let them fight and whoever wins shakes hands with the other, no weapons, no whinging, just men who allowed their anger get the better of them releasing it.

THIS! As long as they don't seriously hurt each other, or hurt anyone else, let them! It's their body's they're banging up, it's they who will face the repercussions. So LET THEM.
Unless one of them does not want to fight and has not deserved a beating, as in the one who started it is just an asshole with no good reason to fight.

I wasnt disagreeing with you about global warming simply that these countries arent assholes as its a huge generalisation with bad logic. Im not an asshole because somepne else in my country is responsible for a large amount of CO2.

Yeah, I just couldn't be bothered with better phrasing. Of course not everyone in the country are assholes.

Agayek:

aprilmarie:
Americans need to stop telling me I spell words like colour and flavour wrong.

Dude... neither of those words have a "u". Silly Brit.

*ahem* born and raised in California and still live there. It is the proper spelling of the words. My mum got on my case about it the other day when she looked at the recipes that she had me type up for her. Because Microsoft Word told her it was wrong and I told her that Word was wrong. I got told that a lot in high school too.

Rawne1980:
This isn't a flame against anyone but it probably will be an unpopular opinion around here (seeing as quite a few people are like this)....

I hate miserable bastards. I don't mean dislike I mean I physically detest them.

They piss off everyone around them, they can turn something happy into an utter shit storm and generally aren't nice people to be around.

They say utter toss like "I have lost faith in humanity" oh fuck off with your cliché phrase.

"I don't want to live on this planet anymore", that's funny .... I don't want you living on this planet anymore.

They never say anything worth listening to.

And the most amusing part .... "I hate humanity, I hate people" so why, oh bloody why, are they hanging around forums that contain ... you guessed it ... people.

I say to them, crawl back under the bridge of misery and leave the rest of us to be happy and talk about sunshine and rainbows.

Yes the world is a shitty place, trust me i've seen a hell of a lot more of that shit than the some of the people that whine about it, but we get on with it. We like life and the little joys it brings.

And to the OP. I have kids, 5 of them. Am I angered by your words ... nay lad, nay I am not.

All I have to say to you is MY SPERM WORKS so all is well in the world.

Matthew94:
I think children with severe mental deficiencies (to the point where they aren't conscious of who they are or where they are etc) should either be killed or have all medical care cut off from them.

They don't do anything and cost the government thousands before they die. That money could go to a better cause.

*Flame shield up*

Hello friends. You and I have much in common. Let me buy you two a round of beers of your choosing.

OT: I believe religion is a threat that should be completely removed.
Spare me any discussion and/or flaming about this, I'm not interested. This is a thread about unpopular opinions. I haven't called anyone out on things I disagree with, and I ask of you to do the same. Things stated in this thread are bound to clash with someone's opinion, regardless of what it is, and that's partly the point.

aprilmarie:
*ahem* born and raised in California and still live there. It is the proper spelling of the words. My mum got on my case about it the other day when she looked at the recipes that she had me type up for her. Because Microsoft Word told her it was wrong and I told her that Word was wrong. I got told that a lot in high school too.

Doesn't matter. Anyone who spells those words like that is a Brit, regardless of where they were born :P.

Grey Day for Elcia:

bojackx:
They should be allowed to get all the benefits of marriage (financial-wise), but if the various groups of people don't want to marry gays, that's there own damn business.

You don't know what marriage is. It has nothing at all to do with religion; it's a legal contract you sign with the government. The wedding part can be a religious ceremony, but marriage is as far removed from religion as registering a car.

Then why are civil partnerships a thing?

Vault101:

BlakBladz:

I believe people need discipline, which is why I'd rather live in the past. People say 'what of disease? shit living conditions? this that and the other' eh. Shit happens.

I'd love to see if you would still be as eager if you really were living in whatever era you want

and disipline from doing what exactally?

He could always move to a third world country that he thinks must exist, at least he'll get the living conditions he wants >__>

hobohazard:
Did you ever wonder how a homeless person became homeless? By failing. Most of the time in a way that hurt someone ells. If they don't have the skills to get themselves out, and if they ever did become a member of society couldn't be a productive one, then why should we help them?

Why are you stereotyping all homeless people in First World countries like that? They're not all drug-riddled hippies. Some of them have been kicked out of their houses for genuinely unfair reasons, because some parents are dicks. Some homeless people have illnesses. Some of them get robbed. And so on.

Matthew94:

orangeban:

Matthew94:

As I reckon you know, he was more than critical of it, he blatantly defied it. After events like the Rhineland and the Sudetenland they didn't want him going any further, as you said.

Ah, yes, I did of course mean defiant when I said critical, thanks for picking me up on that. I have a tendency to understate things.

I think that we should leave the starving people in afric alone i.e. stop helping them and here's the why.

If you think about it, we are only prolonging their suffering and forcing them to keep writhing on the rusty blade of hunger and poverty. Obviously they cannot survive very well on their own out there, meaning they are supposed to die, they aren't supposed to live there and that's why nature is getting rid of them. If you can't survive, you die, it's the way of nature and we are getting in the way of and at the same time spending vast amounts of capital that could be used to do much better things, like funding scientific reasearch and such.
*rolls dice*
+10 flame resist

People with self-caused problems should not get free health care. If you drink/smoke/eat yourself into some kind of medical condition (liver failure, lung cancer, diabetes ect.) then that's your own damn fault and you should pay for your own fucking healthcare.

Also, I don't think DA2 was that bad. Not good, just not that bad.

Miss Magoo:
I think that we should leave the starving people in afric alone i.e. stop helping them and here's the why.

If you think about it, we are only prolonging their suffering and forcing them to keep writhing on the rusty blade of hunger and poverty. Obviously they cannot survive very well on their own out there, meaning they are supposed to die, they aren't supposed to live there and that's why nature is getting rid of them. If you can't survive, you die, it's the way of nature and we are getting in the way of and at the same time spending vast amounts of capital that could be used to do much better things, like funding scientific reasearch and such.
*rolls dice*
+10 flame resist

Also, them continuously spawning kids, only for them to fall into the poverty trap too and continue the cycle, doesn't help either.

I think both sides of the abortion argument are completely insufferable. Taking the life of an innocent human is not a good thing and not something we should be striving for in society. However, making abortion illegal would resolve exactly fuck all. The real problem is not "There are too many abortions happening", it's "There are too many unwanted pregnancies happening" and that's what should be focused on resolving.

Also, "pro-life" and "pro-choice" are some of the most transparently pandering bullshit names ever; you're pro-abortion or anti-abortion, stop trying to make your position appear to be something wider than it really is. People should start to refer to them as pro-death and pro-slavery to compensate.

J-RPG is best form of RPG.
GT5 superior to Forza 4.
i don't like Portal.
Madoka Magica is horrible and overrated anime.
Skyrim is boring.

Sparrow:
People with self-caused problems should not get free health care. If you drink/smoke/eat yourself into some kind of medical condition (liver failure, lung cancer, diabetes ect.) then that's your own damn fault and you should pay for your own fucking healthcare.

Sales tax on tobacco and alcohol products give you a clue?

Miss Magoo:

*rolls dice*
+10 flame resist

True and untrue. The problem is that there is an ebb and flow of 'help' and its sustainability that makes it a bad idea to help them at all. It forces them to become reliant on aid, which is the reason why lots of African countries such as Rwanda are refusing aid entirely or cutting back on it now.

Here's an example and the reason why its gotten so bad as it is now:

1) You're a farmer you plant wheat. You do alright and so do people around you. Everyone is poor sure, but things are improving at a nice rate.

2) The Western world comes along and decides that because they have so much more than you; they must be charitable and Christian by helping you out. So they see too many starving people and bring food.

3) Suddenly your wheat farm is now competing with a product that costs nothing. How do you run a business when your competition is a completely free product? You don't you fold because there's nothing you can do.

4) With food supplies going up people feel they are more prosperous so they have more children. So foreign aid ramps up to help them.

5) Eventually something changes in the west, we have a market crash or demand simply outstrips supply. What do the Africans and south east Asians do now? Their food growers were put out of business by free food. Their mosquito net makers were put out of business by free mosquito nets. And the places we did put them to work such as low cost shoe factories can not sustain their country at all. So they basically starve and die from diseases because of their poor health and malnutrition.

Its not that these places aren't sustainable. People have lived there for thousands of years. It's that we have forced them onto an unsustainable path with our 'charity.' If you want a better picture of the situation read, "Dead Aid: Why Aid is Not Working and How There is a Better Way For Africa." Its by Zambian economist Dambisa Moyo, who graduated from both Harvard and Oxford universities.

There is a way in which you can actually help however if you are so inclined. Don't donate to aid organizations that simply give people things. You can loan them money with 0% interest at http://www.kiva.org/ which will let them actually get businesses off the ground with usually zero cost to the investor. You can also donate to organizations that only go into war/disaster zones(where subverting local industry is not a concern) such as Doctors Without Borders or the Nonviolent Peace Force.

Raging atheists who stuff their atheism down my throat are as annoying as religious people who do it. I might not believe in a God, but if I can survive without forcing this point on others, so can you.

People who define themselves by their sexuality are irritating. My sexuality is a part of me, for sure, but it is not all that I am. I don't feel the need to express myself by highlighting my preference to men as my entire being, neither should you. We are made up of many facets. We are made up of all our experiences, all our thoughts, all our ideas and beliefs and personal preferences. Let that be who you show to me, not just one tiny part of you.

Marijuana should be legalised. Perhaps if it is regulated and distributed like any other legal drug, we mightn't have such a negative attitude to it.

Binge drinking cultures are a negative thing. Drinking is fine. Growing up with the belief that you need to get wasted as soon as possible and as often as possible is harmful to yourself and the the others who see you like that. Experience drink sensibly. Learn to love and savour some of the greatest alcohols out there.

People who hate smokers - why? Let them smoke. As long as they aren't - quite literally - in your face about it, then it's fine. Non-smoker here, and I don't get up in arms when someone sparks up until they blow it into my eyes. Then it's on.

Highly authoritarian people. Sure, some level of government intervention can be fine, and is probably needed in the world we live in, but there's such a thing as taking it too far.

I'm still a Liberal Democrat (UK politics yaaaaay :D ). While in an ideal world I'd like to believe in some form of anarcho-communism, I'm realistic. Clegg took the offer to get into power because if he didn't then he'd have been an ineffectual politician - why would you support a politician who didn't want to get into power? However, he has reneged on some of his promises, even ones that were part of the Coalition agreement. While this has weakened my trust in him, I still think that currently the Lib Dems are better than (or could be better than, if they ever properly got into power) New Labour, and certainly better than the Tories.

Finally, this might not sound controversial, but I think perhaps it is in our world. So, here it is:

Be Nice.

It's not too hard an ideal to follow, is it? I know I'm grumbling in this thread, but I don't go out of my way to hate things. I have a positive view of human nature; I reckon being nice and getting along is a great thing. Unfortunately, plenty of people seem to disagree :(

EDIT: Forgot my most controversial opinion: Every generation of Pokemon is great.

I think people with unpopular opinions should shut up about them.

...All right, in addition to being something of a paradox within the context of this topic, that's not exactly true. We need people with unpopular opinions to speak their mind. But I really wish that people who do so would have something to back their opinions up, some commonly recognizable shred of proof or fact or reason, something to make them a decent proponent of their point of view rather than just one more doofus with an opinion. If you have a burning fire in your belly about, say, vaccinations all being part of a government program to reduce voter IQ, you might want to consider the possibility that that burning fire is just the tacos you ate for lunch. And go watch a video or something, rather than clicking "post".

Failing to rise above the "opinions are like a$$#@%&$" test, could we at least try to sound like reasonable, polite human beings who are actually listening to one another rather than the Internet equivalent of that guy who's just waiting for you to stop talking so he can ramble?

Being with the majority does not make you right; any student of history can tell you as much. But neither does being with the minority make you some kind of brave, awesome rebel fighting the Man.

As far as non-opinion-related opinions, I'm really beginning to wish that the kind of atheists who feel a need to (ahem) proselytize their position would realize that the kind of smug certainty and derision for the opposite point of view they frequently express looks virtually identical to the kind of smug certainty and derision for the opposite point of view that comes from in-your-face fundamentalist Christians, to those standing outside.

Luca72:

But I also think all drugs should be legalized. Yep - morphine, amphetamines, you name it.

Morphine? That's legal, yeah it is mainly used in hospitals, and also can be acquired with a prescription, but it is legal.

Unless: Are saying that there shouldn't be prescriptions and limitations on how much can be given out, that we should be able to just buy it over the counter?

Nope, that I don't agree with.

If the drug is needed for some kind of health condition or whatnot, then yeah, make it legal to prescribe it. Other than that, no, I wouldn't make it easier for people to feed their addictions and mess up their lives, and possibly other lives connected to them in the process.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 . . . 26 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked