Help with computer building please :)

Hey guys,
So I'm building my first computer and I need some help with the parts. I'm not really looking for some hardcore gaming or anything, just the typical RTS like game (LoL, Diablo, Total War etc.) and would like to know if this is too much or too little. So far this is what I've got:

Processor: Intel Core i3-2100 3.10GHz Dual Core LGA1155 3MB HT 65W Processor (BX80623I32100)
http://www.a-power.com/product-19856

Motherboard: Gigabyte H77M-D3H Motherboard - mATX - LGA1155 - H77 - 4xDDR3 - 1xPCIe3.0 - 2xSATA3 - USB3.0 - CrossFireX (GA-H77M-D3H) #25116
http://www.a-power.com/product-25116

RAM: Kingston ValueRAM 4GB (2 x 2GB) - DDR3-1333MHz PC3-10600 - Non-ECC - CL9 (KVR1333D3N9K2/4G)
http://www.a-power.com/product-7768

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GT440 Video Card - 830MHz - 1GB DDR3 - DVI/VGA/HDMI (GV-N440D3-1GI) #20282
http://www.a-power.com/product-20282

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 16MB Internal 3.5" Hard Drive (ST500DM002) #23113
http://www.a-power.com/product-23113

Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 Series TR-600 600W ATX 12V 2.3 115/230V AC Power Supply
http://www.a-power.com/product-22908

Optical Drive: Asus 16X DVD-ROM Internal IDE - Black
http://www.a-power.com/product-14240

Monitor: Acer X223W LCD Monitor - 22" - 1680x1050 - 300cd/m2 - 5ms - DVI/VGA (ET.EX3WP.D01)
http://www.a-power.com/product-15359

Case: Thermaltake Case VM20001W2Z Armor A60 Mid Tower Black Window FP SuperSpeed USB 3.0, SideClick Easy Swap for 3.5" HDD 1x200mm 2x120mm Fans #18291
http://www.a-power.com/product-18291-421-1

This add's up to about $900 CAN/dls without tax.
Any suggestions? Any problems?
Sorry for being a pest, but I want to make sure I do this right.

Thanks for looking it over,
azzair

you'd be better getting a 460 (even the 768mb version, that can play most on high still) or a used high end 200 series instead of a 440, it might have alot of RAM but it's not really a gaming card.

Oh and you can't use that CD drive, you don't have an IDE port on that motherboard (most don't anymore, you need a SATA connection cd drive but other than that it's fine from a quick glance.

A GT 440 will really hold you back, I'd suggest a GTX 560 or perhaps a HD6850. Either will give you the performance you need for decent gaming.

Also, find an optical drive that uses SATA, IDE is pretty much finished now.

As others have said the only thing that is lackluster is the graphics card, and pushing it to a 460 instead of a 440 will really make a difference.

Not sure how much things cost in your strange currency though, but you might want to look around for the same parts at different places, got mine from two different places to deliver on the same day and still saved a fair amount even with twice the delivery.

I'd say spend a little more and you will be happier for longer, maybe an i5.

Thats just my take.

Only thing that sticks out to me (aside from the graphics card & optical drive as others have said) is the CPU - you'd get some more bang for your buck if you went for a core i5 or if you were feeling adventurous even one of the new AMD cpus but I've not used one of those yet so can't really recommend it. Only mention it as I heard they have GPUs built in which is interesting & might be good enough to run some games.

But yeah, see if you can get a slightly better CPU, graphics card & optical drive and youre laughing.

On a more general note, it's quite often cheaper to buy a PC or laptop than it is to build one of equivelant or better specs - but i love system building so never really done it until recently. Turns out 1k will get you a damn good laptop these days :D

r0binh00d:
On a more general note, it's quite often cheaper to buy a PC or laptop than it is to build one of equivelant or better specs - but i love system building so never really done it until recently. Turns out 1k will get you a damn good laptop these days :D

Wait wat.

No, in buying a prebuilt PC, normally it's MUCH cheaper to buy all the parts you want and build it yourself. To buy my ideal PC prebuilt I'm looking at an excess of 1400, but if I build it myself I can knock 500 or so off the price, so yeah, I don't think prebuilt is ever cheaper unless you get a ridiculous deal.

Palfreyfish:
Wait wat.

No, in buying a prebuilt PC, normally it's MUCH cheaper to buy all the parts you want and build it yourself. To buy my ideal PC prebuilt I'm looking at an excess of 1400, but if I build it myself I can knock 500 or so off the price, so yeah, I don't think prebuilt is ever cheaper unless you get a ridiculous deal.

True enough - but I wasn't suggesting you could get an ideal rig cheaper than building it - more low to mid end systems. Sorry, should have clarified that.

Quite right about higher spec . dream-pc stuff but for 300-400 quid you can get a perfectly good rig that will run most stuff and normally with peripherals too - that's where I find the most difference. 300 on hardware will get you alright hardware (though nothing too fancy) but then add on minimum 80 for a monitor, plus speakers, keyboard etc... whereas you can quite often get a decent deal that includes those things.

I'm sure it's equally possible to ace a prebuilt with separately purchased components if you get a good deal - swings and roundabouts and all that.

r0binh00d:

Palfreyfish:
Wait wat.

True enough - but I wasn't suggesting you could get an ideal rig cheaper than building it - more low to mid end systems. Sorry, should have clarified that.

Quite right about higher spec . dream-pc stuff but for 300-400 quid you can get a perfectly good rig that will run most stuff and normally with peripherals too - that's where I find the most difference. 300 on hardware will get you alright hardware (though nothing too fancy) but then add on minimum 80 for a monitor, plus speakers, keyboard etc... whereas you can quite often get a decent deal that includes those things.

I'm sure it's equally possible to ace a prebuilt with separately purchased components if you get a good deal - swings and roundabouts and all that.

Due to the new AMD fusion chips you can now build a PC better than prebuilts for low end markets quite easily too.

Matthew94:

r0binh00d:

Palfreyfish:
Wait wat.

Due to the new AMD fusion chips you can now build a PC better than prebuilts for low end markets quite easily too.

I assume by low end markets you mean people that want to surf the net and play flash videos, and not people that want to play games (aside from the occasional flash game etc)

On a semi related note, are those AMD chips any good though?

Palfreyfish:
I assume by low end markets you mean people that want to surf the net and play flash videos, and not people that want to play games (aside from the occasional flash game etc)

No, I mean people who want to play low end games of console quality. I have the A8-3850 and I could get around 40-60 FPS on Borderlands on Medium at 720P using the iGPU alone. You can also crossfire it with a 6670 on DX10/11 games.

I also got:

Matthew94:
I just built myself a new PC with an AMD A8-3850 and had DIRT 3 benchmark running on it at 44FPS (avg),35 (min) at all settings at Medium (a few were on high as no medium option was available) at 720P. The article below states the average framerate of the Xbox and PS3 is 30 FPS with 10% of frames on the PS3 having tearing.

So yes, they are good and your assumption was quite off. It can even run Metro 2033 well enough on low DX9 at 720P.

Matthew94:

Palfreyfish:

No, I mean people who want to play low end games of console quality. I have the A8-3850 and I could get around 40-60 FPS on Borderlands on Medium at 720P using the iGPU alone. You can also crossfire it with a 6670 on DX10/11 games.

I also got:

Matthew94:
I just built myself a new PC with an AMD A8-3850 and had DIRT 3 benchmark running on it at 44FPS (avg),35 (min) at all settings at Medium (a few were on high as no medium option was available) at 720P. The article below states the average framerate of the Xbox and PS3 is 30 FPS with 10% of frames on the PS3 having tearing.

So yes, they are good and your assumption was quite off. It can even run Metro 2033 well enough on low DX9 at 720P.

Oh, okay. Wow, actually they're pretty awesome then, might look into using one in the Home Theatre/Couch gaming PC I'm going to put together over the summer. Well thank you for clearing that up.

What are the results when it's in Crossfire with the 6670?

Palfreyfish:

Matthew94:

Palfreyfish:

I also got:

Matthew94:

Oh, okay. Wow, actually they're pretty awesome then, might look into using one in the Home Theatre/Couch gaming PC I'm going to put together over the summer. Well thank you for clearing that up.

What are the results when it's in Crossfire with the 6670?

Right, here is a few benches at 1280x1024.

Here is the Dirt 3 Bench in Dual Graphics Mode

Here is a Metro 2033 Benchmark at DX10 in DG Mode again.

Matthew94:
*snip*

Ok wow, that's actually really good. Granted Metro 2033 is on low, but it is a hungry hungry game, so yeah, wow. Will definitely be using something like that when I build my couch PC (Eventually, I have to get money first, and currently that's proving to be a challenge...)

Palfreyfish:
Granted Metro 2033 is on low, but it is a hungry hungry game

Actually, Metro 2033 scales really well.

But it must be said; that resolution is absolutely crap. Barely anyone runs 1280X1024, looks like shit on most monitors as well.

I suggest you switch out your graphic card. Maybe for something in the 400 series? 440 or 460? What price range are you looking at?

BTW is there a budget that you are looking at? I mean it would help so that we can see just what it is that we can add/subtract from the list.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked