Cognitive Biases you do not want to fall victim to :)

1. Just-world hypothesis

2. Confirmation Bias

3. Ad hom/Halo Effect

4. Fundamental Attribution Error

I thought I'd throw these out there since I know that lots of people make these mistakes. Now, my good readers :P, you will have improved as human beings!!! ;)

Captcha: creative vision

[1]

Okay.. what shall we discuss, then?

CAPTCHA says Cary Grant, so we'll go with that. I think my favorite of his movies is Arsenic and Old Lace, though to be honest, I haven't seen nearly all of them! There's just something about that one that I really like.. I can't put my finger on what it is, though.

The Fallacy Files - I find it a better source for these things.

OT: none of them. Which is impossible. So what are we discussing, really?

DoPo:

Given all the hot-tempered topics we've seen over the friend zone and the like recently, I guess it's a PSA about what to avoid using in a debate, as these all contribute to debate decaying into meaningless arguments. It is rather easy to fall into these fallacies, even if you know of them beforehand.

Melon Hunter:

DoPo:

Given all the hot-tempered topics we've seen over the friend zone and the like recently, I guess it's a PSA about what to avoid using in a debate, as these all contribute to debate decaying into meaningless arguments. It is rather easy to fall into these fallacies, even if you know of them beforehand.

This was my reasoning behind posting the OP :)

I dunno I think these are very interesting and if followed they make your ideas and opinions so much more valuable and truthful.

Nothing new here. I see hundreds of threads like the OPs every day. Heck, this forum is constantly littered with them. Probably posted by old, grumpy people with no jobs and too much time on their hands. If I ever post a thread like this, I'd actually follow it up with something useful - to make people think. But no, we just get some kind of lecture here. Don't worry, OP, your holier-than-thou attitude will get the best of you.

DoPo:

An impossibility claim, without proof. A universal generalization to all people at all times, without proof.

This is why I have no respect for psychology. At best it can make claims about tendencies of average people, it fails miserably when trying to apply itself universally.

isometry:

DoPo:

An impossibility claim, without proof. A universal generalization to all people at all times, without proof.

This is why I have no respect for psychology. At best it can make claims about tendencies of average people, it fails miserably when trying to apply itself universally.

Wat.

To avoid low content, let me ask you - is that a joke or are you seriously making that claim? It failed on both accounts, just so you know.

DoPo:

isometry:

DoPo:

Wat.

To avoid low content, let me ask you - is that a joke or are you seriously making that claim? It failed on both accounts, just so you know.

I'm seriously making the claim that "it's impossible to eliminate cognitive biases" is an abominable statement, and is one of the main reasons that the psychology worldview is a blight on civilization.

isometry:

DoPo:

isometry:

Wat.

I'm seriously making the claim that "it's impossible to eliminate cognitive biases" is an abominable statement, and is one of the main reasons that the psychology worldview is a blight on civilization.

Then may I ask you where I made that claim because I am quite sure I did not have that in mind?

Also, care to elaborate how the entire world can turn its back on quite a lot of evolution (of all sorts) which wired some thinking patterns into our minds? It is not "impossible" but improbable, time and resource consuming immediately come to mind.

EDIT: also, what's with the psychology, why bring it up in the first place.

DoPo:

isometry:

DoPo:

Wat.

Then may I ask you where I made that claim because I am quite sure I did not have that in mind?

Also, care to elaborate how the entire world can turn its back on quite a lot of evolution (of all sorts) which wired some thinking patterns into our minds? It is not "impossible" but improbable, time and resource consuming immediately come to mind.

EDIT: also, what's with the psychology, why bring it up in the first place.

I thought you made that claim when you said: "none of them, but that's impossible" in your first post of this thread, I thought that was meant as a response to the OP's question "cognitive biases you do not want to fall victim to?"

Whether the entire world corrects its cognitive biases is not relevant to the question of whether a single individual can correct his. Now that you admit that it is not impossible, but only improbable and difficult, we agree. In particular that means it is something we can work towards and improve, not that we must give up and accept flawed thinking forever.

As for why to bring up "psychology", cognitive biases are a concept from psychology. My problem is that research psychologists publish careful statements about percentages of sample populations experiencing cognitive biases in specific situations, and regular people casually generalize and extrapolate from that research to imagine that it applies to all people at all times. That's what I call the "psychology worldview", the overapplication of academic psychology in daily life.

Hum, I assumed the title referred to chosing the one fallacy out of the above mentioned that I would hate doind the most (I might have constructed badly this sentence, but I can't think of a way to make it better - although it still doesn't feel right, but you get my point). In this case, the first sound a lot like applying faith as an argument, which is bad, but the others sound even worse. I would pick number 3 as my most hated fallacy out of the three remaining. It's so shameful to make assuptions about others based on characteristics that have nothing to do with what you expect from them! I heard many people voted in a past president of my country (who stole money from everybody's saving accounts), just because they found him handsome! When I was first told this, I wanted to smack these people across the face so badly... I really hate the politicians of my country, but I've got to admit that the people of my country really get the leaders they deserve.

isometry:
I thought you made that claim when you said: "none of them, but that's impossible" in your first post of this thread, I thought that was meant as a response to the OP's question "cognitive biases you do not want to fall victim to?"

Whether the entire world corrects its cognitive biases is not relevant to the question of whether a single individual can correct his.

I do not want to fall victim to none of them. However, I do fall victim. That can come from me or other people. Hence, it is not possible at the moment and I would have to wait until the entire world totally changes its way of thinking. But given that it is not possible (given the current state of everything) for the entire world to change within my lifetime. I still think that "impossible" was the right choice of words there.

isometry:
As for why to bring up "psychology", cognitive biases are a concept from psychology. My problem is that research psychologists publish careful statements about percentages of sample populations experiencing cognitive biases in specific situations, and regular people casually generalize and extrapolate from that research to imagine that it applies to all people at all times. That's what I call the "psychology worldview", the overapplication of academic psychology in daily life.

I don't think pop psychology is the one you should listen to and then call out real psychology based on that. I am pretty sure real psychology only recognises those biases but does not claim that everybody, ever, all the time acts on them. In fact, I don't know anyone who makes such a claim. I'm not even sure why you called me out for that.

Hmm... I'd like to mention this site too, if we're talking biases.

The worst is probably just-world fallacy, followed by the halo-effect which in worst case scenario leads to a super happy death spiral. I don't like any of them, and try not to fall victim to any of these. Not always that I succeed, but still. You have to try.

I am sure there are tons of people who like thinking they would never be so gullible, judgmental, etc. but they would be wrong. We all make these blunders on occasion. That guy who cut you off on the freeway who you flipped the bird and dubbed "a complete asshole"? Maybe he didn't see you in his mirror, or was in an emergency rush. I know I've driven poorly before because of distraction, emergencies, and other things but would never intentionally cut someone off.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked