What are your thoughts on suicide?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

It's a subject I often find myself thinking about for one reason or another and I'm curious what my fellow Escapists think about it.

I know a lot of people find it to be one of the most selfish things a person can do and while I can see the argument that's being made I personally don't find that to be true in all cases..if any at all. Those who actually go through with it were obviously very troubled and more than likely weren't thinking ahead as to how it may affect those around them.

So what are your thoughts on suicide?

I still can't freaking do it.

I think people are too quick to judge people who commit suicide. I'm not saying it's an answer, and if you know someone who is suicidal then of course you need to intervene, but you don't know what was going through their heads that made them do that. The fact that someone is so miserable, so devoid of hope that they decide death is a better option is not something people should be mocked and judged for.

Overwhelming indifference.

However it does bother me when others label it an act of cowardice and I can't help but imagine those who do so are just overly privileged preps.

It is a permanent solution to what is most of the time a temporary problem. Tragic, wasteful, and extremely irritating when my train is late -AGAIN because someone couldn't sort out their shit.

I'll make allowances for medically assisted suicide (like when they are going to be in nothing but pain for the rest of their life), but -apart from that- sometimes the buttercups need to buck up.

Honestly, this may sound incredibly morbid, but I encourage people to weigh the options and potential benefits of suicide.

If you are unloved by family or friends, if you have no or slim career prospects, if you are a burden to someone or society, or if you have willingly or unwillingly destroyed other peoples lives, suicide may be your best option.

Otherwise, stop dwelling on your issues and make something of yourself. If you "can't", solutions exist, therapy or medicinal. You can think "what if it doesn't work?" or even give it a shot expecting nothing to change, but if you don't at least try to visualize a solution to your problems, psychologically, they will never fade.

Take it from someone who has "been there" if you get my drift.

I have no thoughts on it whatsoever.

What people get up to is their own business.

I got nothing against suicide as long as the person doesn't piss people off while doing t , like jumping in front of a train or slittig his wrists in a primary school . The reason i feel this way is because , people die every day of unforseen circumstances, accidents , murder and what not. Why should one be able to choose when and how he / she dies . That being said i don't encourage peopleto of themselves , but it is ultimately their choice . And stopping someone for killing themselves , but They would miss said , person is pretty selfish .

Come. At . Me . Bros.

Wow, I didn't think I'd have the controversial opinion here but...

I think it's the most selfish and cowardly act that someone can possibly do. Once your life is taken, it's over for you. However, think about all of the people that you are now letting down (not to mention future people). As required by the Internet Act of 1996, here is a great Cracked article that explains my feelings on it. If you don't want to read the article, I think the important part is this: The Vast majority of the time, they're upset over something that is temporary and will change

My friend's friend committed suicide and it completely wrecked her for a good week (not counting the lasting affects) and I'm sure it did a number on all the other people who knew him as well (hell, this was a friend. How about the family members, his wife, his kids, etc). MAYBE there are a handful of people out in the world with absolutely NO ONE who cares about them at all but even then, I'm going with the "future friends" thing...

You can argue all you want that the suicidal person doesn't realize that they're going to hurt everyone around them but that doesn't make their actions OK.

EDIT: Also, if you intend to quote me and try to get me to debate this, don't bother. I am going off of the experience I have with this subject; namely the damage it caused to the "victim's" loved ones. I've had suicidal thoughts (who hasn't?) but have never been in a deep enough depression to think of it as an actual option in life. This is one of those hot button topics that will not result in anyone getting their mind changed but has the tendency to flame up and burn everyone down...

I think people who talk about it should do less talking and more trigger pulling

All rights can be surrendered with consent, so why not extend that to life? If you really want out that bad, I don't care to stop you. Just don't get upset if someone pisses on your grave because they thought you made a bad decision.

I think, in numerous cases, you have to put yourself in the person's shoes. For example, those with extremely debilitating illnesses of unimaginable pain, both to themselves and their family, in which case euthanasia might be the best thing for them.

I believe some people jump to conclusions too quickly when they say that those who commit suicide are selfish, because they have no idea what that person's going through, and sometimes, people just feel trapped and actually don't think that anyone would care when they die. So, before you label all suicide cases as "selfish", try to have some empathy and don't act so "holier-than-thou" and prejudiced, saying, "Well, if I could deal with something like that, why couldn't they? Coward." That's not the right attitude to take with clinically depressed people like this.

Suicide is selfish. Of course it is. It is the decision to affect the lives of everyone around you by ending your own, and you're doing it because for yourself. The thing is, selfishness is not the same thing as wrong or bad. Ultimately, your life is your life, and no one else can live it for you. You have to decide when it has no further value to you.

And to everyone who says suicide is cowardly: That's crap. Unless you've tasted the barrel of the gun, unless you've started sawing the razor through your veins, unless you've stared at the rocky foot of the cliff, you have no idea what you're talking about or how much effort it took to override your screaming instinct for self-preservation to get there. You might not agree that self-annihilation is the best choice, but don't pretend that overcoming a fear of death is somehow easier than overcoming a fear of life.

JimB:
It is the decision to affect the lives of everyone around you by ending your own

As I aforementioned, many suicide cases actually think that no-one would care about them when they die. I heard a story about these two depressed boys that routinely talked about their desire to commit suicide. One of the boys became worse, while the other one was about to go on holiday. The first boy asked the second one to stay because he needed him, but the second boy brushed it aside and said that he'd be fine, and he'd only be gone for a couple of weeks or months. Sometime later, the second boy recieved a phone call from the first boy's mother or someone saying that he'd hung himself, leaving a note that said, "No-one cared enough to stay".

Something like that. When you remove that from the equation, it becomes much easier to understand these people's mindset. For them, there's no other way out of their living hell than to just end it all, and they've forced themselves into thinking that no-one would care if they died due to possible neglect, apathy or whatever. It's sad, but it's true.

From a objective point of view? A rather selfish act. Who does it affect? Pretty much everyone that person knows. 99/100 times, it is likely to impact everyone negatively.

However, I can understand why someone would do that, I've contemplated it before and so have many people.

Relish in Chaos:

JimB:
It is the decision to affect the lives of everyone around you by ending your own

As I aforementioned, many suicide cases actually think that no-one would care about them when they die. I heard a story about these two depressed boys that routinely talked about their desire to commit suicide. One of the boys became worse, while the other one was about to go on holiday. The first boy asked the second one to stay because he needed him, but the second boy brushed it aside and said that he'd be fine, and he'd only be gone for a couple of weeks or months. Sometime later, the second boy recieved a phone call from the first boy's mother or someone saying that he'd hung himself, leaving a note that said, "No-one cared enough to stay".

Something like that. When you remove that from the equation, it becomes much easier to understand these people's mindset. For them, there's no other way out of their living hell than to just end it all, and they've forced themselves into thinking that no-one would care if they died due to possible neglect, apathy or whatever. It's sad, but it's true.

This. I personally feel that way more than I'd like and it's an awful feeling. And I have to say that's quite a depressing story

I think if someone absolutely gives up on life, says to themselves there's no point in living, they should able to commit suicide when they want to. Everyone should die happy, so maybe by painless, lethal injection in a bed surrounded by family/friends. By choice, of course.

It's a really tough subject.

On one hand, you can call it selfish due to the great grief caused to the loved ones of the person. But on the other hand, it is that persons life. They are in full control of their life and ultimately should be able to make any decisions they see fit concerning themselves. Most (if not all) of those who do commit suicide are very troubled, and don't do it without any previous thoughts and deliberation.

Quite honestly, I cannot sway to one side or the other, because I agree with both arguments. It's an extremely tough subject, and it is difficult to dismiss either argument.

I think it is a permanent solution to a probably temporary problem.

Edit: Wow this is one of the few times I've been ninja'd

I think it's really sad. It's unfortunate that someone would feel themselves pushed to that point for whatever reason, that they'd be so dissatisfied with their lives they'd want to die. It makes me wish things could have gone a different way for them, that whatever was bothering them was resolved instead.

I don't like people going and calling it selfish and whatnot. These people apparently felt there wasn't anything left to live for, and people are just going to attack them for it? It's probably an irrational thing for them to do, but if they feel driven for it I don't despise them I feel sorry for them for being under such circumstances.

I'm fairly sure that I'll die either by killing myself as I approach old age, or by some form of sudden accident/unexpected illness.

I'm of the opinion that everyone should be allowed to kill themselves, whenever, for whatever reason they feel like, as long as they show that they are not going to budge in their opinion, and that they have tried treatment for mental illnesses etc.

I can't stand it when people say suicide is selfish. It's so disrespectful and self centred. In the mind of a suicidal person killing yourself is the most selfless thing you can do. And if someone has a mindset like that then it should be pretty obvious that the person needs real help. Dismissing them as being selfish is the worst thing you can do. And when I hear people say things like this they often explain their views by saying things like how someone jumping in front of a train is selfish because it's an inconvenience to everyone because they have to stop the train and everything. As if being late for work means anything compared to the crap that's made this person get to the point at which they want to end their own life. Others say it's selfish because they hurt people close to them, which I can kind of understand. But if they were so close then whey didn't they help this person who obviously really needed it?

Another thing that people say about the suicidal is that people who kill themselves is that they are only doing it for attention or as a "cry for help". If someone is truly suicidal and actually goes through with it then they are not looking for attention. The mindset of that person is that they want to erase themselves. They don't want people to pay any attention to them. They just want it all to end. Attention is useless to a dead person. It's the complete opposite of what these people say. And I don't understand how anyone can think that suicide being a "cry for help" somehow negates the seriousness of the situation. If someone is in so much need of help that they end up killing themselves then how the hell is the fact that they go past the point at which they can be helped somehow make them undeserving of it? It's complete madness.

And it's terrible how these views seem to be normal and seen as correct. It disgusts me. I think that the way the media makes a policy of not reporting suicides might contribute to these kind of opinions. People aren't aware of the kind of things that goes in in the life and the mind of a person who commits suicide. These people need help. They're not attention seeking emos. I know. I've been there. I find this attitude in the media to be completely hypocritical too. They say that they don't report on suicides because they are afraid of people copying what they see on the news, yet they have no problem on reporting on murderers and other criminals on a daily basis.

I would say that it isn't for me, but as a whole I have no problems with it if someone truly wants to die who am I? Or who is anyone to decide that for them that's my opinion on it.

On the subject of suicide, I don't really have any previous suicide experience.

I dont really want to think about it. The whole subject makes me feel uncomfortable.

tippy2k2:

I think it's the most selfish and cowardly act that someone can possibly do. Once your life is taken, it's over for you. However, think about all of the people that you are now letting down (not to mention future people). As required by the Internet Act of 1996, here is a great Cracked article that explains my feelings on it.

My friend's friend committed suicide and it completely wrecked her for a good week (not counting the lasting affects) and I'm sure it did a number on all the other people who knew him as well (hell, this was a friend. How about the family members, his wife, his kids, etc). MAYBE there are a handful of people out in the world with absolutely NO ONE who cares about them at all but even then, I'm going with the "future friends" thing...

You can argue all you want that the suicidal person doesn't realize that they're going to hurt everyone around them but that doesn't make their actions OK.

So you expect a severely depressed person who hates life to hang on just so you can feel good?

Sounds selfish to me.

Of course I am not a mind reader and can't project my happy thoughts onto someone who wants out. You know the main reason why people are against suicide is because it also effects them. They don't want to go through the grief of missing the person so they try everything in order to help them. My statement of not being able to read their minds means that most people want you to think like them. Everything is going good in their life, well then it has to be going good in your life as well. An annoying human trait we all have and it means that suicide will always be looked down upon by most people. Like you to think like me damn't, don't do something selfish that is going to make me feel bad.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
I dont really want to think about it. The whole subject makes me feel uncomfortable.

tippy2k2:

I think it's the most selfish and cowardly act that someone can possibly do. Once your life is taken, it's over for you. However, think about all of the people that you are now letting down (not to mention future people). As required by the Internet Act of 1996, here is a great Cracked article that explains my feelings on it.

So you expect a severely depressed person who hates life to hang on just so you can feel good?

Sounds selfish to me.

This. I really wonder at people being so unsympathetic to the troubles of those who might want to die, yet expect the suicidal to live on for their sake =/

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I think if there is a right to life, there should also be a right to death. It may be selfish, it may not be, but IMO that's irrelevant - it's your life, your choice and your responsibility.

If you have a child, however difficult it may be, suicide for them is a possibility. Same goes if you befriend a person. I think (feel free to take it up with me if you think I'm wrong!) the 'it's selfish' argument comes from it affecting others negatively, but I think it's illogical to live solely for someone else's sake if a person really wants to die. Of course suicide is overwhelmingly accompanied by mental illness, which should of course be treated and suicide /is/ a tragedy, but I don't think that takes away from a person's life being that person's responsibility.

People who commit suicide tend to be the mentally ill, the unfortunate and the downtrodden. These people harmless and don't deserve to die, not by their hand or anyone else's.

Still, freedom is freedom.

phylline:
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I think if there is a right to life, there should also be a right to death. It may be selfish, it may not be, but IMO that's irrelevant - it's your life, your choice and your responsibility.

If you have a child, however difficult it may be, suicide for them is a possibility. Same goes if you befriend a person. I think (feel free to take it up with me if you think I'm wrong!) the 'it's selfish' argument comes from it affecting others negatively, but I think it's illogical to live solely for someone else's sake if a person really wants to die. Of course suicide is overwhelmingly accompanied by mental illness, which should of course be treated and suicide /is/ a tragedy, but I don't think that takes away from a person's life being that person's responsibility.

No, it's the reasonable thing to say. Richard Epcar once said in relation to life "how I choose to waste it is my own damn business."

People say suicide is selfish. You know what's selfish? Ignoring someone that's suicidal. Not like it's an easy thing to do. Science tells us suicidal people broadcast it like a fucking HBO special.

For you folks that are saying suicides are selfish, if I were you I wouldn't judge until I've been in their shoes.

As a once suicidal person, I must say, you can't truely understand unless you've been pushed to the brink like that.
I'm not saying it's a good answer to anything, I just believe it can be justifiable.

Now, let's talk about rainbows.

Suicide is selfish if you do nothing to try and look at the "other side". I don't pitty those will not try help themselves, though I do believe you shouldn't judge people if you don't know the whole story. I have a friend who recently took his own life. I do not know whether or not he seeked help but I seriously doubt since no one could tell he was depressed or knew why he did it. The bottom line is be smart, think ahead and make the right choice. Try to not let depression cloud your decision making, no matter how bad the situation is.

I'm pretty lenient on it. If someone really hates their life that much they no longer want to live, then go for it I say, just don't expect any sympathy from me.

My personal view on suicide is that it is a very silly practice, there is virtually no benefit to enjoy from it since the mortality rate is so high. My Dad's friend died from suicide, he should have just played it safe, maybe if he knew that shooting himself in the head would probably kill him, he would have reconsidered.

People should stop doing suicide, suicide will kill them.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked