8.8% (21)
Sci-fi stuff
6.3% (15)
6.3% (15)
MLP
14.3% (34)
14.3% (34)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: What do you consider the nerdiest?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

This is just something that popped into my head today as I was playing Batman Arkham City. Just a question. Care to explain your answer below?

Maths. Computer stuff would come close if I knew what "computer stuff" meant. Does it mean messing with hardware, writing code, creating or using software, maintenance, or what? There's different levels of nerdiness there.

But maths has to take it. I'm a big nerd but I really cannot understand how anyone can enjoy maths. It's just so dry and dull. How anyone can make that their hobby baffles me. Computer stuff can share some of that same dry tedium but it at least has an obvious real world application. Maths purely for it's own sake just is so esoteric I just can't comprehend it.

Ummmm....I really dont know

I guess stuff that requires more intelligance and an apreciation for things that most people would find mundane

Ummm, what? I don't define nerdy as relating to an activity, but to a personality or lifestyle. So option x: none of these things.

I have consciously made a very clear difference between a "nerd" and "geek". A nerd is someone who is into maybe an unpopular medium or is into it "too" much for it to be considered normal. They need not be intelligent or antisocial. A geek on the other hand is far more into the sciences and mathematics. Here intelligence is a prerequisite. That is not to say there isn't overlap between the two groups, in fact there's undoubtedly a great deal.
So by these definitions I would place comics as the nerdiest. The fan of comics (at least in my experience) seem far more attached to their medium that most other fans and mathematics would be the geekiest.

I don't know what MLP is... so I can only assume it's so deep in the nerd forest that I dare not go.

IMHO, it's not the specific subject, but how one deals with the subject.

There are those who take something simple and explain it in a very complex manner.
And, there are those who take something complex and are able to explain it in a simple manner.

Think Sheldon Cooper vs Neil deGrasse Tyson.

gritch:
I have consciously made a very clear difference between a "nerd" and "geek". A nerd is someone who is into maybe an unpopular medium or is into it "too" much for it to be considered normal. They need not be intelligent or antisocial. A geek on the other hand is far more into the sciences and mathematics. Here intelligence is a prerequisite. That is not to say there isn't overlap between the two groups, in fact there's undoubtedly a great deal.
So by these definitions I would place comics as the nerdiest. The fan of comics (at least in my experience) seem far more attached to their medium that most other fans and mathematics would be the geekiest.

its funny,. Ive always seen it as the other way around

Math stuff hands down. I mean Star wars was main stream, LotR was main stream, almost everyone owns a computer. Super heroes are main stream for kids so if you are over say 16 they come in third. MPL gets second if you are a girl and over 12 or a buy and over 5.

Though I have to say it does mention comics not the charters within and in this digital "reading is hard" age comics may grab a close second.

Did we really need MLP as an option? Really?

OT: Math, because fuck Maths.

gritch:

I agree with Vault, I think it's the other way around.

OT: I always thought Math, since when I was a kid most of the time they called someone a nerd on TV, it was related to studying, then again I may be remembering wrong.

Over all be...... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA OMG xD..... After those 9 letters captcha threw in "to Boot" and my answer was computer stuff... omg... ok, back to topic:

So as said, my answer was "computer stuff"
Knowing code, hardware being fast at doing stuff on the pc is which one of those I think makes the "biggest nerd". Then again I don't find being a nerd a bad thing.
People concider me being a nerd... I am not anything special in math, I only play little video games and I don't know the difference between the fan and the motherboard in the pc.
I don't read comics, I haven't seen one episode of MLP and Fantasy / Sci-fi I am only into the "normal" stuff like Lotr, HP, Star Wars etc and that as much as: read the books and seen the movies, no deeper lore is known to me etc.
I wonder why the first impression of me is that I would be a nerd...

They are all just different types, so it is hard to say. In the end I went with Comics because I have yet to meet someone who reads comics and isn't into most of the other things on that list too. Whereas I have met people who like only one of all the others, and who would be hard to classify as nerds at times.
just my opinion, based on my own experiences, not speaking in generalities

I voted for computer stuff because I presume it's to do with coding. Particularly software engineering. That's what most of the "nerdy" stereotypes are studying.

Why isn't LARPing on that list?

I said comics, but I don't really know why. Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons probably influenced my decision :D.

Collecting action figures and other game/movie/comic paraphernalia, and wearing game/movie/comic related clothing.

If you're over the age of 18 and you're still doing this, I consider that really nerdy.

I wrote a program to rename all the files on my computer according to my arbitrary naming rules, I'd say that's pretty high up. Web development is less nerdy though...the higher level the language, the more acceptable it tends to get.

There should be an option for chess.

Seriously, I am open-minded as heck, and I have a ton of nerd hobbies, but chess is still something that makes me cringe.

I was going to say table top role playing games, but that is not an option.

Eddie the head:

I was going to say that too!

That and train spotting/ aircraft spotting... I am They are pretty nerdy!

Hmmm...

However, having mentioned that, it's rather difficult to say... but I'm inclined to say 'computer stuff', for reasons still unknown to me... -_-

Elementary - Dear Watson:

Eddie the head:

I was going to say that too!

That and train spotting/ aircraft spotting... I am They are pretty nerdy!

Thirdied! This thread needs more tabletop RPGs. Delightfully nerdy tabletop RPGs.

I thought the answers would include specific hobbies/activities instead of vague intrests.

I would say LARPing is about as nerdy as its humanly possible to get. Not that there is anything "wrong" with that

Zhukov:
Why isn't LARPing on that list?

Zhukov is 100% correct. The proper answer is LARPing, and it's not even a poll option. Broken poll is broken.

Vault101:

gritch:

its funny,. Ive always seen it as the other way around

Yeah, me too.

Well since table top gaming isn't an option I would have to say math or computers or that in some combo.
Anyone can read a comic, anyone can play a game, MLP is made for young girls and some fantasy literature is made for young audience too. Sci-fi is kinda nerdy, but that's still within borders of what those who aren't nerds can do for fun. Math and programming on the other hand are down right nerdy things.

Stuff that you do on you're own rather than with friends

TheBobmus:
Ummm, what? I don't define nerdy as relating to an activity, but to a personality or lifestyle. So option x: none of these things.

Im with this guy. None of the above are nerdy at all imo.

Depends. 'Nerdy' is a hard word to define. It might be the kind that codes computers and can hack anything, or the hipster kind that thinks playing video games and wearing fake glasses makes them a geek.
I voted computer stuff, since you have to be genuinely interested in coding and logic gates and that kind of thing to do something with computers as a hobby.

Maths and Computing are both incredibly useful life skills.

To invest a lot of time in the others brings no extrinsic reward, you just do it for the love of it, but that fact in itself makes it slightly more 'nerdy'.

Personally I enjoy mathematics and i do read up on some of the more esoteric bits, cos they're interesting. But because it also has very serious applications, i don't think of it as being nerdy.

I think it's this:

No interest is nerdier than another.

What matters is how deep one's interest is.

Personally, I think Mathematics and Computer Engineering/Programming are the geek things. Comics, Sci-Fi, and Fantasy are nerd things. And then I thought: how do I go about appreciating the distinction? Where are the defining boundaries of "geek" and "nerd"? It's all subjective.

If LARPing was a poll option, I would have voted for that, but that exists as an extreme offshoot of Fantasy (or possibly Sci-fi).

None of those. Then again, until finding out what MLP stood for, I do find the popularity of it rather strange but then again who am I to judge? to each their own.

This is easy. None. None of these things are nerdy.

Everything in this list is either far too vague (such as videogames) or way too mainstream (such as My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic). If you can get these down to subjects that are more specific and obscure, then, the term will have been used properly.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked