Would you purposely name your child with something exotic or from a video game etc?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

While it's beyond stupid for people to name their kids with something that doesn't even sound like a name, but if you got the final choice, would you name your kid after a character that has a normal sounding name?

I'd name a son Dante, Virgil, Judas, or Junus.

If I had a daughter I might name her Mia or Maya from PW, all other VG characters I can remember have ridiculous names :P

No, I wouldn't.

Call me old fashioned, but I like to keep my hobbies seperate from naming my offspring.

I wouldn't actually name them something from a video game.

I'd stick to something more traditional, since it might be difficult for them to be taken seriously in life - school then later in the workforce with a video game name. As far as I could see myself going is if the name was something classical that also happens to appear in video games, Altair for example.
I'd also like something that doesn't have stigma attached to it, Judas could rub a lot of people the wrong way.

Also isn't the question of this thread contradictory? If its a normal sounding name then its not really that exotic...

It's not from a video game, but I shall name my first born son as Theophrastus Bombastus.

I do plan on naming my son "Jayne," if that counts.

Not necessarily gaming, but fiction in general can be a good way to name kids. It's a couple decision though, so depends on how traditional the other half is in this thoroughly hypothetical situation.

I quite like the name Riven, and it's from both Myst and League of Legends. Something for everyone!

Tali and Garrus are also both nice and not-particularly-obnoxious names.

I'll give the next 15 posts to guess where my first son will be named from, winner gets a cookie.

His name will be Grif.

On an unrelated note: I'm also thinking of naming other sons Isaac, Carmine, or Doug.

There's a name that my girlfriend and I chose when we were talking about having a kid. For a girl it would be Coraline Apple (Last Name Here). We were big fans of the Neil Gaiman book of the same name and thought that Coraline would be a great first name.

Though it's not really exotic it does reflect a hobby of mine (reading).

probably not

I have thourght about Kaiden though

If I had a husky with blue eyes I would call him Garrus

Terminate421:
I'll give the next 15 posts to guess where my first son will be named from, winner gets a cookie.

His name will be Grif.

On an unrelated note: I'm also thinking of naming other sons Isaac, Carmine, or Doug.

wasnt that the name of "Biff's" grandson from back to the future 2?

Jedoro:

And he'll grow up to be the man they call Jayne =D

OT: If I ever have a kid I'll be tempted to, but honestly doesn't seem fair to them. It'd amuse me, but I should be picking their name based on that.

Vault101:

As if a Garrus dog avatar isn't enough, you'll have a real dog named Garrus XD

Terminate421:

His name will be Grif.

The only one that immediately springs to mind is that Red vs Blue fellow.

overpuce:
Though it's not really exotic it does reflect a hobby of mine (reading).

Ooh! Tyrion.

Mortai Gravesend:

Vault101:

I think ti would fit perfectly, a loyal freind whole stick by you

also the blue eyeed husky thing...he's look like Garrus

Vault101:

Mortai Gravesend:

Vault101:

I think ti would fit perfectly, a loyal freind whole stick by you

also the blue eyeed husky thing...he's look like Garrus

Good point. Garrus seems like a really good, loyal friend.

He's like Shepard's dog! Wait, that sounds awful...

Edit: Even more when I remembered that I romanced him as female Shepard -__-

I don't see it as all that different from naming a kid after a character from a book. I might LIKE a name I hear in a game but I wouldn't expressly name a kid after that character.

DarkishFriend:
While it's beyond stupid for people to name their kids with something that doesn't even sound like a name, but if you got the final choice, would you name your kid after a character that has a normal sounding name?

Judas... you are aware of where that comes from? I once met a guy named Demon, though I'm pretty sure it was a legal name change. ms-13 guys are craaaazyy.

Mortai Gravesend:

Jedoro:

Exactly.

"Honey, why the hell did you name our son 'Jayne?'"

"Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of his awesome!"

ace_of_something:
I don't see it as all that different from naming a kid after a character from a book. I might LIKE a name I hear in a game but I wouldn't expressly name a kid after that character.

DarkishFriend:

Judas... you are aware of where that comes from?

Red Dwarf. Arnold Judas Rimmer.

Jedoro:

Mortai Gravesend:

Jedoro:

Exactly.

That was definitely one of my favorite episodes of Firefly XD

Mortai Gravesend:

Jedoro:

Mortai Gravesend:

Exactly.

Hell yes. I'm not sure if you can tell, but Jayne might be my favorite character from that show.

... not necessarily a big chance I'll ever have kids, but if I had a daughter I'd definitely name her Riley. I don't think that counts as "exotic" though.

What might be more exotic is how much I like the name "Wolf". I think it'd be an awesome name for a boy to have. xD

Jedoro:

Mortai Gravesend:

Jedoro:

Exactly.

Hell yes. I'm not sure if you can tell, but Jayne might be my favorite character from that show.

Well, no, there wasn't enough for me to have a reasonable certainty he's your favorite, but I can understand the feeling XD

Mortai Gravesend:

Jedoro:

Mortai Gravesend:

Well, no, there wasn't enough for me to have a reasonable certainty he's your favorite, but I can understand the feeling XD

Of course, I have considered naming my son "Malcolm Jayne," but I think that might make the world explode.

No. I couldn't even bring myself to name my pets after something from a video game, movie, etc. That's just a little too outwardly nerdy for me v:

I can't think of any video game characters off the top of my head which I'd consider naming a child, but I'm sure that there are several names used in a few different anime series which I'd definitely consider.

I'm not sure I would name my kid something from a video game, but there are plenty of socially acceptable video-game names.

Though, given the chance I would name my kid something like Trajan, Hadrian, or Vulcan.

No. I've had my last name misspelled often enough that I know exactly how annoying it is for someone to have a confusing name (at least for written purposes). There are a few names I'd really like (Serah from FFXIII has a great name, IMO), but I would never name a kid something that would make someone ask how to spell it.

I wouldn't name my child(ren) the name of any video game character unless it happened to be a coincidence. If I had a son I would either be a complete bastard and name them after myself or name them after someone great in the past, such as a general or philosopher; so long as the name wasn't weird enough to cause mockery.

Off Topic: I once heard of a girl named La-sha. It is suppose to be pronounced Ladasha. The mother who named her apparently gets upset when teachers and others fail to spell her name as intended, which is La-sha. I'll be laughing when I hear the story of a foreigner pronouncing the dash as it is called in their language. La-halbgeviertstrich-a?. Correct me if I'm wrong with that name, I just Googled the German name real quick.

I'm unsure...if I were to name my son something like Gordon (as an example) it would probably be after Gordon Freeman, but I don't see me naming my possible future child something like "Cloud" or "Pyramid Head".

So, normal names in video games, yes, but weird or exotic names, probably not.

My first daughter's middle name will be Octavia. My mother always wanted to name her own daughter Octavia, but she got me instead. Tavi is nice nickname too. Hell, my middle name is quite Exotic, Rand. Not Randolf, not Randy, Rand.

No. No kids.

But

My first born son shall be named Kenshi Dracula VonFrankenstein. Least two of those would come from games haha. That or Maxi because I like fighting games.

My wife and I actually talked about naming our daughter Claes after one of the girls from the anime Gunslinger Girl. Does that count? I even researched the name. I think it means strength in Greek or something. We later decided to do something more traditional after a 100% blank stare ratio when talking about it.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked