Would you purposely name your child with something exotic or from a video game etc?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Awesome scenario:
I name my son Raistlin.
He would then be Raistlin Majere!
/)^3^(\

Oh, and Lyra if it's a girl.

If I had the opportunity to do so, which I probably won't, I would come up with a human name by altering the fictional name.
So Cloud (FF7) = Claud
Dovakiin (Elderscrolls 5) = Donovan or David
Amatarasu = Amy
and so forth. I'd also attempt to mock-proof the names I come up with.

If you want, we can play a game. Come up with a weird name and I'll try to normalize it. (Is this what romanizing is?) (Ok I'm not an expert at this, but I'll try)

I intend to name my daughter Jaina, which is from Warcraft. But I guess I lose points for Jaina sounding like a perfectly normal name.

No, I would not.

I already know what I'd like to name a potential daughter, so if I do have children someday, I'd rather name them what I (and the mother) would like to.

But I know I'd end up breaking my back bending over backwards so she could name them what she likes.

No, just for the fact that they have to live with it, not me. I wouldn't have a problem naming my pet something like that, but not a child.

If it's a reasonable name I could definitely go with a reference, yeah. But I draw the line at 'Chell' for what I consider reasonable

The only names I ever considered for a child's name were Zoe from Left 4 Dead (but then again I liked the name Zoe before I even played L4D) and Zelda,.... from guess where. But neither of the names I picked sound particularly exotic or super crazy.

I won't have kids, but if I did it would certainly be considered. Wouldn't go with Dogmeat or something lame or obvious, it would be unnoticable for most people, like Andrew (Ryan) or Garrus.

I always wanted to name my kids after the Blue Team Spartans; John, Sam (later replaced with Fred), Kelly, and Linda.

I can't think of any names from video games that I would want to name my children after, but I don't see anything wrong with it. I always plan on naming my first son Atticus after Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird, but I think naming children after characters from books is pretty common.

But the thing about "exotic" names is I find a lot of what we consider odd now are really just old names. I know my friend is thinking about naming her daughter Imogen, which a lot of people would find weird today, but really, it's a name that was fairly common in the South a long while ago.

Crimson for a son.
Scarlet for a girl.

I think that's kinda cool. They both mean red and everything.

I've already (kind of) done it. Tried to get my sister-in-law to give her son the middle name Soap, but that failed miserably. She settled for Price, though.

And yes, I would give my child a video game character's name if it was a good name.

If it's a boy, Dante of course!
Son:"daddy, why did you name me Dante?"
Me:"Shut up and keep applying that white hair dye"

If it's a girl...hmm, Maya perhaps?

mysecondlife:

Terminate421:
I'll give the next 15 posts to guess where my first son will be named from, winner gets a cookie.

His name will be Grif.

On an unrelated note: I'm also thinking of naming other sons Isaac, Carmine, or Doug.

KOTOR. Mission's loser brother's name.

Its the only Grif (or Griff) I know.

Grif from red vs. blue

It's a hilarious web show, of you have not heard of it, watch it, though you may want to start from episode 1. It's hard for new comers to jump in at this point.

My step daughter is called Kayleigh.

The song by Marillion was playing just before she gave birth.

Daystar Clarion:
No, I wouldn't.

Call me old fashioned, but I like to keep my hobbies seperate from naming my offspring.

Little cultural fact: The name July originated in Peter Pan.

OT: I've considered what I might go for. If I wanted to give my unborn child a really unique name, I might go for Eddard (after Eddard Stark) because it does sound like a fairly decent name.

Equally, I've considered Miles, or Dean, though.

I would love to name one of my future daughters Tali.

I also would like to name one of my sons Kira.

Terminate421:

mysecondlife:

Terminate421:
I'll give the next 15 posts to guess where my first son will be named from, winner gets a cookie.

His name will be Grif.

On an unrelated note: I'm also thinking of naming other sons Isaac, Carmine, or Doug.

KOTOR. Mission's loser brother's name.

Its the only Grif (or Griff) I know.

Grif from red vs. blue

It's a hilarious web show, of you have not heard of it, watch it, though you may want to start from episode 1. It's hard for new comers to jump in at this point.

I don't know, Grif really comes off as a last name. That said, I have a friend called Dale Terry, which really sounds like it should be the other way around.

If you wanted to be a dick, while sticking to Red vs Blue, you could call him Lavernius.

Since Link and Logan are real names...yes yes i would.

No, I will not give my child the burden for having an unsual name (one could look at this as I'm denine giving my child an interesting/ cool name). He or she will have an ordianary name.
The only possibly different name I would use is if I have a girl I could name her Faye but that name is sort of more of an anime thing than an game. I had only know one girl with that name.

I don't know if it's "exotic" but I think Damien is a pretty pimpin' name.

Specifically or deliberately, no.

I am not likely to pick an ordinary name (although nothing incredibly weird will be on the list either), but if I name a kid after something specific, it is far more likely to be from classic literature or a historical figure than a video game.

To put it another way, Dante or Virgil might be name choices, but if the kid asks about where it came from, I'll be telling him about "The Divine Comedy", or "The Aeneid", and not a video game that has nothing to do with the former story aside from the names involved. (I wouldn't name my child after a narcissistic bigot like Dante Alighieri in any case, whether it be the actual man, the character the man made up for his book, or the character in the game.)

If I had a son, I'd consider naming him "Cid", after the characters sharing that name in Final Fantasy. If I had a daughter, like Robin Williams, I'd consider naming her "Zelda", after the aforementioned princess in The Legend of Zelda.

Something exotic or from a video game? Probably not though I won't rule it out.

However I will give my kids names out of spite. Names to be mocked. Like Sally or Sue for a boy and Bubba or Jeff for a girl.

DarkishFriend:
While it's beyond stupid for people to name their kids with something that doesn't even sound like a name, but if you got the final choice, would you name your kid after a character that has a normal sounding name?

I'd name a son Dante, Virgil, Judas, or Junus.

I always liked the name Octavia (this was before MLP:FiM) and many people think it would be weird naming someone like that.

The only "gaming" convention-type name I could think of is, if I had a red-headed daughter, I would name her Fira. Yep.

If I have a son I will name him Vincent Valentine Shepherd, obviously the Shepherd is my last name not some other reference.

Vincent Valentine is my favourite character of all time, from anything and its unlikely to change anytime soon as it hasnt in 15 years.

I would never do such a thing. I get that names usually have a story behind them, but if that story is that your dad was on a skyrim binge and named you Dovakhin then that's just sad.

Anoni Mus:
Zelda, sounds like a name and it's uncommon, so it would be cool for a girl.

Robin Williams beat you to the punch, he named his daughter after the princess of hyrule.

daughter shall be named Jenova Eve (blank)- Parasite Eve and FF 7

and my son Mithos Angelous (blank)- from tales of symphonia, though he wasnt called angelous, he is an angel

Maybe, I'd do it if the name sounded nice.

I really don't want to give my kids names that are way out there, my four adopted Russian cousins got named Sky, River, Jade, and Ember. Awesome names to be sure but I don't envy them.

I want something that is not common but isn't bully worthy.
If I ever have a girl I will name her Luka, I will not take no for an answer. Offering of a cookie for someone who guess where the name came from.

If I have a boy I shall name him Tristan, I like the sound of the name. No cookies for guessing. This one is one of the Knights of the Round Table.

Jedoro:
I do plan on naming my son "Jayne," if that counts.

If wishes were horses we'd all be eaten steak?

If I had a male kid (unlikely) I'd name him Arakasi.

Arakasi is the Spy Master from Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts's Emipre Trilogy

No. Name your pets with weird names from characters you like, not your kids.

Hafnium:
I won't have kids, but if I did it would certainly be considered. Wouldn't go with Dogmeat or something lame or obvious, it would be unnoticable for most people, like Andrew (Ryan) or Garrus.

I... don't think Garrus would be too subtle, personally. (Despite how awesome it would make the theoretical kid.)

OT: Probably not. I'm perfectly willing to name a pet something from a video game... but I wouldn't do that to a kid. Not that I'm really planning on having kids anyways.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked