Video games cause violence

Yeah, I dont believe the above statement. It was a weak attempt to drag people here to help me out.

I am trying to write an essay about violent video games and moral panics. In short, I am going to argue that the current media outcry about videogames is at the level where it could be defined as a moral panic. And I could do with help.

ANY articles you can remember that are just insane, any studies that you can remember that have no real basis in fact, any Fox News segment that shows the sheer insanity of the anti-gaming lobby, I need em. It would be much appreciated.

Oh, and for discussion value? Your thoughts and opinions on the whole issue. If you know what a moral panic is, tell me your views (And a moral panic is not so strait forward, I mean the sociological construct as outlined by Stanley Cohen.)

Thankyou for helping a fellow gamer out. Hell, After I am done I might put the essay up on the internets. It will be produced at a university foundation level so should be pretty good.

Well its kind of a weird topic. See, I have a cousin who is very young and he kind of worries me sometimes as his parents let him play some violent video games like call of duty and when he tells me about his little middle school problems he seems to think you can just solve problems by shooting them. "This one kid at school annoys me so much, I wish I could just shoot him." Now, his parents own no guns so i'm not too worried but I don't ever remember wanting to shoot anybody for being annoying at that age.

While he's not the majority in any way and most likely wouldn't go through with it even if he had access to a gun it's just kind of bothersome that some kids today think you can solve problems but beating/shooting them. I'm sure you outgrow it once you mature around junior/senior year in high school but damn.. hell, I just don't know.

RazadaMk2:

Thankyou for helping a fellow gamer out. Hell, After I am done I might put the essay up on the internets. It will be produced at a university foundation level so should be pretty good.

I was actually thinking of doing an article on much the same topic for fun, so I've got a fair bit of info already!

Look up Mary Whitehouse for some details on historical moral panics, and religious attitude to them, in the UK.
Keith Vaz is a UK MP who thinks that video games cause anti-social behaviour, and campaigns for stricter controls. I'm not sure about the US so much, but I'm sure others will fill you in in that regard!

A read of the wikipedia article on gaming controversies yields a bunch of studies both against an in favour of the hypothesis that video games cause youth violence.

If you want games that have caused controversies (both with regard to violence and other issues), here's a non-exhaustive list:

Manhunt & Manhunt 2 (violence) , GTA (everything), Left4Dead (violence), Left4Dead 2 (violence,racism, hurricane katrina), Bully (bullying), Portal 2 (adopted children), Mass Effect (LGBT content), The Old Republic (LGBT content), MMORPGs in general (addiction)

As an aside, might I suggest you change the title to "Video Games cause violence - true or false?" or something, to stop people getting pissed off without even reading the thread.

It's exactly the same "Moral Panic" as when Rock Music or Television were introduced to the world. The majority of people who embraced it are much younger people. Younger people will always appear inferior to the older generations because the older people have had much longer to accumulate knowledge and experience than younger people have.

Eventually, it'll become a cultural norm - if not slightly more popular with younger people - and people will stop complaining about it.

/opinion.

I apologise for not providing any sources, but perhaps you can use the opinions of the Escapist's users in your report somewhere? :)

RazadaMk2:
Yeah, I dont believe the above statement. It was a weak attempt to drag people here to help me out.

I am trying to write an essay about violent video games and moral panics. In short, I am going to argue that the current media outcry about videogames is at the level where it could be defined as a moral panic. And I could do with help.

ANY articles you can remember that are just insane, any studies that you can remember that have no real basis in fact, any Fox News segment that shows the sheer insanity of the anti-gaming lobby, I need em. It would be much appreciated.

Oh, and for discussion value? Your thoughts and opinions on the whole issue. If you know what a moral panic is, tell me your views (And a moral panic is not so strait forward, I mean the sociological construct as outlined by Stanley Cohen.)

Well... you could go down the ruote of tieing moral panic of video games to the moral panic of tv and film cenorship in the 1980s britain headed by Mary whitehouse.

Hope this is of help and not to off topic :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Whitehouse

Compulsary:

-Edit i see i was beaten to the punch by a previous poster shoulda checked ;)

Right-wing politics in the United States.

Ha, just kidding.

But if there's one thing that almost always seems to go hand in hand with moral panic it's a lack of information about the topic at hand. It gets dragged into the picture over an alleged relation to something negative (video games and violent behaviour, for instance), which causes the negative aspects to surface more than anything else. But since they don't know all that much about it they fill in the lacking blanks with stuff that's even more negatively loaded. I mean, jeez. Remember reading an article from some time ago where an organization had apparently defaced Dungeons & Dragons for allegedly promoting everything from witchcraft and satanism to sexual perversion and murder.

I think the whole "EA responds to Anti-gay E-mails" thing was a fairly absurd blowout. You could find it by searching this site and expand it beyond violence.

Look up Jack Thompson as well. He's a disbarred lawyer from Florida who lead some pretty idiotic cases where murder was involved. He claimed that GTA was a murder simulator and that the murderers were only acting out what they have been trained to do.

He also tried to ban a Florida release of 2 Live Crew in Florida.

Also you may want to also want to review this Escapist Article that was recently released. Link

overpuce:
Look up Jack Thompson as well. He's a disbarred lawyer from Florida who lead some pretty idiotic cases where murder was involved. He claimed that GTA was a murder simulator and that the murderers were only acting out what they have been trained to do.

He also tried to ban a Florida release of 2 Live Crew in Florida.

Also you may want to also want to review this Escapist Article that was recently released. Link

This is the first time this has happened to me, I think. I have been "ninja'd". That's exactly what I was going to talk about.

If videogames are being bashed so much for violence, then why should we forget things like chess, lots of television shows, films, books and paintings? Sure, they're not as interactive with the violence, but, they should be pointed out at some level.

Funny, I'm basically doing the same thing. pcmag has a few articles to help, a few from here at the escapist, and if you're in college and need more, see if your school has an online database or something you can scour.

OneCatch :

RazadaMk2:

I was actually thinking of doing an article on much the same topic for fun, so I've got a fair bit of info already!

Look up Mary Whitehouse for some details on historical moral panics, and religious attitude to them, in the UK.
Keith Vaz is a UK MP who thinks that video games cause anti-social behaviour, and campaigns for stricter controls. I'm not sure about the US so much, but I'm sure others will fill you in in that regard!

A read of the wikipedia article on gaming controversies yields a bunch of studies both against an in favour of the hypothesis that video games cause youth violence.

If you want games that have caused controversies (both with regard to violence and other issues), here's a non-exhaustive list:

Manhunt & Manhunt 2 (violence) , GTA (everything), Left4Dead (violence), Left4Dead 2 (violence,racism, hurricane katrina), Bully (bullying), Portal 2 (adopted children), Mass Effect (LGBT content), The Old Republic (LGBT content), MMORPGs in general (addiction)

As an aside, might I suggest you change the title to "Video Games cause violence - true or false?" or something, to stop people getting pissed off without even reading the thread.

I will be honest, I want people to read it and get pissed off. That way they are more likely to open the thread, read it and realise what I want. If it seems calm, they are less likely to do so. Logic!

Anyway, cheers for the links, if you can think of any others it would be helpful. Basically, I need to submit a research project as part of my current course. Also, fun fact for you lot

The BBC just reported on Brevik's WoW habit. Which does help out with my current essay. They are mentioning the "Stratergies he learnt playing games". Oh, happy days.

JaceArveduin:
Funny, I'm basically doing the same thing. pcmag has a few articles to help, a few from here at the escapist, and if you're in college and need more, see if your school has an online database or something you can scour.

My college does not have much of a library and lacks in an online database of stuff. If you know any issues with relevant articles that would be helpful, I dont want to just buy a mag on the offchance, I am not exactly a wealthy person, heh.

Folji:

Ha, just kidding.

But if there's one thing that almost always seems to go hand in hand with moral panic it's a lack of information about the topic at hand. It gets dragged into the picture over an alleged relation to something negative (video games and violent behaviour, for instance), which causes the negative aspects to surface more than anything else. But since they don't know all that much about it they fill in the lacking blanks with stuff that's even more negatively loaded. I mean, jeez. Remember reading an article from some time ago where an organization had apparently defaced Dungeons & Dragons for allegedly promoting everything from witchcraft and satanism to sexual perversion and murder.

Well, that is one of the traits of a moral panic. The media blowign something out of proportion. The key study by Cohen that was the founding... moment in moral panics was centered abotu the mods and rockers in the united kingdoms. Basically, the media indicated there were hundreds of people and mass riots. The reality? The riots were almost non-existant.

So, to all of you, If you can think of any specific examples of media depiction of gamers in a negative light, that would be awesome. Particularly more respectable media. I love reading the Daily Mail (The daily mail and fox being half the reason I chose this research project, it is good fun to read insane views.) but if you know ofany examples of the Guardian and similar, more rational newspapers or media outlets that helps me out massively.

A Raging Emo:
It's exactly the same "Moral Panic" as when Rock Music or Television were introduced to the world. The majority of people who embraced it are much younger people. Younger people will always appear inferior to the older generations because the older people have had much longer to accumulate knowledge and experience than younger people have.

Eventually, it'll become a cultural norm - if not slightly more popular with younger people - and people will stop complaining about it.

/opinion.

I apologise for not providing any sources, but perhaps you can use the opinions of the Escapist's users in your report somewhere? :)

First part of your comment: I agree whole heartedly. That is the nature of moral panics of all kinds.

Second part of your comment: I am uncertain how I would do so. This is an academic repor though. However, as this site does cover 20 something gamers, I might be able to involve you within the research project as an example of how gamers view the issue (Even though it will be blatant, naturally).

OneCatch :

RazadaMk2:

Considering I am in the UK and my teachers are all natives, I will be concentrating more upon the views of the media here rather than accross the pond. Simply because the tutor who will be marking this is old and boring and will like to read about the views of the Daily Mail, the Guardian and the BBC more than the views of FOX and the like.

So, I have replied to you all and, with luck, dragged you in to help me out further. If the essay is good enough I might try and trim it down after it is finished and perhaps see if I cannot get it onto the escapist. If not, well, I will probably just post it to Reddit and give whoever is interested links.

EDIT: Posting whilst tired is fail. I quoted one of you twice. Sorry about that. In future I will hit preview. Heh.

RazadaMk2:
So, to all of you, If you can think of any specific examples of media depiction of gamers in a negative light, that would be awesome. Particularly more respectable media. I love reading the Daily Mail (The daily mail and fox being half the reason I chose this research project, it is good fun to read insane views.) but if you know ofany examples of the Guardian and similar, more rational newspapers or media outlets that helps me out massively.

You really should explore the controversies around Dungeons & Dragons if that's not on your list yet. Murders, schizophrenia, suicides, occultism, there's a long list of things that the media have claimed the game to lead to.

There is absolutely no conclusion either way in this debate. Studies have results on both sides of the fence, and there are a thousand factors that actually affect aggression levels after playing video games.

Folji:

Ha, just kidding.

oh yeah i still remember being told i was going to hell and that it will make me perform witchcraft and sacrifice small children and goats to the DM's manual.

nikki191:
oh yeah i still remember being told i was going to hell and that it will make me perform witchcraft and sacrifice small children and goats to the DM's manual.

'Tis the toy of the devil! Shun it, before its evil might takes hold of you!

RazadaMk2:

Portal 2 Report:

GTA controversy synopsis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_%28series%29#Controversy

The other controversies I mentioned are easy to find on the respective wiki pages of the games - links to original news coverage at the bottom of each page.

RazadaMk2:

A Raging Emo:

/opinion.

First part of your comment: I agree whole heartedly. That is the nature of moral panics of all kinds.

Second part of your comment: I am uncertain how I would do so. This is an academic repor though. However, as this site does cover 20 something gamers, I might be able to involve you within the research project as an example of how gamers view the issue (Even though it will be blatant, naturally).

Yeah, that I actually what I meant; perhaps you could use us all as an example of how we view the topic - perhaps gather opinions from both sides of the fence to raise questions that you could tackle within the Report itself?

DugMachine:
...it's just kind of bothersome that some kids today think you can solve problems but beating/shooting them. I'm sure you outgrow it once you mature around junior/senior year in high school but damn.. hell, I just don't know.

I dunno about that. Look at what happened after 9/11.

Well, you can definitely include the "Dungeons and Dragons is satanic devil-worshipping witchcraft" in there. Ditto for the panic against Rock 'N Roll and comic books.

My ex-girlfriend's mom, a complete (religious) nutjob, still seriously thinks that D&D is "satanic," yet lets her daughter play all sorts of violent shooters and dress like a tramp. Quite funny, really.

I don't think they do.
I think they CAN desensitise people to violence at a young age.

But that's fine, because there are big yellow and red warnings and age rating and such, and (in Britain at least) the salesperson is legally obligated to straight-up SAY "This is violent, filled with swearing and is not the sort of game someone under this age should play." if they think it's for someone who's underage.
So nobody would be stupid enough to buy Timmy the tenacious ten-year-old Call of Duty, even after they bitch for an hour.
Right?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2364912,00.asp here's one that could possibly be useufl

Just go to the site and use the search function, it's free.

What the issue here is anger. People are to quick to lose their temper and lash out at the most minor issues. Games can get you worked up and make you through the joypad in frustration. We have all done that at some point. But their are others that cant control their anger and end up taking their frustrations out on their wives or children like we saw in the news where a man killed his baby just for crying and spoiling his game.

If games really did cause violence there then wheres the proof? Surely with the million of people that game routinely every day their should be hundreds of thousands of game related violence every day. But the few that do lead to violence are the same people that get violent when drunk, when some one cuts them off while overtaking, when there team loses at sport or just because woman turned them down.

OneCatch :

What i love about this list of games that are routinely blamed is that they are normally rated 15 or 18 certificate. Adult content. So why do they keep bitching about the children when those games are not meant for them in the first place.

The news is far worst. Constantly showing the 9/11 attacks (that gave my baby brother nightmares and a panic when he saw planes over head for a while). Showing the bodies of dead people and soldiers. An the stuff the news show is real, not fake like a game.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked