Could you do this for the price of world peace?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

no. Torture is wrong in all forms, it is barbaric and uncivilized, any person or country committing such atrocities are the filth of this earth.

since the hypothetical situation is so far off from reality, i will stick with my morals.

I would.
We would have to wait to see if I could.

Yes I would. It's a seriously basic social dilemma. Thousands of babies are tortured or neglected at any one moment, by any one person anyway. The world is not a nice place. It's filled with sickos that do it for no reason other than the kick they get out of it.

But If this scenario was real, I wouldn't be doing it for a kick, I'd do it to save 7+ Billion people. It wouldn't phase me, it wouldn't depress me to know that I've sacrificed a budding life form for the gain of trillions of other budding life forms to come.

Sure I'll feel sorry for the baby, and I'd probably do a whole annual memorial thing for it stating that 'This baby gotcha' world peace.'

And if I'm honest, If I had to chose a baby, I'd pick a handicapped baby, just to perform a proverbial euthanasia on it. As I'm incredibly pro euthanasia anyway.

If it was world peace for like... 1 day, I wouldn't kill a baby for that, because the stakes aren't high enough. 1 Week, maybe... 1 month, okay getting better... World peace for all time? Definitely.

Abandon4093:

hazabaza1:

krazykidd:
Sure why not . Babies don't feel pain anyways . Like fish .

I seriously hope you're not being fucking serious.

OT: Probably not, no. I'm not some sick fuck who gets off on abusing children.

It's not about getting off on anything and you bloody well know that. Why even make that accusation?

My apologies if some people seem a bit too into the idea of torturing an infant.

hazabaza1:

Abandon4093:

hazabaza1:

I seriously hope you're not being fucking serious.

OT: Probably not, no. I'm not some sick fuck who gets off on abusing children.

It's not about getting off on anything and you bloody well know that. Why even make that accusation?

My apologies if some people seem a bit too into the idea of torturing an infant.

It's the internet.

You know 99.99r of what gets said is complete bullshit. We've got literally millions of Cowboy astronaut billionaires.

Chances are if someone says "They'd do a hundred just to be sure". What they mean is "I don't know, but I'm going to say I would so I don't seem weak and human."

Like I said, there is an objectively correct answer and there's the answer where we don't personally sacrifice anything.

I've got no idea what I'd do and I doubt anyone here honestly does either.

World peace is impossible due to the nature of humans so unless killing the baby ends all life it couldn't bring about peace and why would I want to end all lifed?

No. With something like "world peace" being promised it will almost certainly turn out to be a kind of monkey's paw effect. You'll get the impossible but not in the way you wanted.

Yes. It's one baby, and that one baby's suffering will prevent millions of other babies form suffering in the future. I won't let my own morals come in the way of world peace, I think that's just selfish. Needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few and whatnot. Oh, and the question being asked is NOT if world peace is possible. It is assumed it IS and torturing the baby will make it happen.

Captcha: Moveable feast. Captcha is into some weird shit.

Nope. While the result would be nice the rights of the individual cannot be ignored for the sake of the many however many there is. It might be a price worth paying but principle cannot be broken.

game-lover:
So seeing that thread "Save One...Save Many" reminded me of this topic I saw on another forum stemming from this youtube video down here... I have no idea how to embed these things so if you wanna watch, feel free to click it. For those who don't wanna watch, why just jump on down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WKurvkobtV0

To basically sum it up, this girl was on this other site she frequents where they sometimes get polls with serious questions. And on this day, she got the question: "Would you torture a baby for world peace?"

Her answer was yes and she gave reasons and stuff. It's really a short vid. But now I am asking you all!

Could you do it? Would you do it?

My answer by the way is no. Sorry world. I'm not gonna go against my morals and risk emotional scarring and a whole bunch of issues for you. NO DICE.

Is this how people video blog these days? Badly lit and sprawled out on your bed?

Yes, I would torture the hell out of that baby. Its one life to better the life of BILLIONS. Todays world is not looking good, we are in serious need of help. So after I force it to choke to death on its own eye balls I will erect a statue in its honor.

Short answer: yes. I would torture and innocent baby for the good of the world.

Long answer: No. I don't like world peace. World peace is A) unattainable, B) untenable, and C) would destroy us. We are a species that thrives on conflict, in a world without conflict, we would destroy ourselves.

I would do it but I don't think you could ever get true world peace. Human's as a species are inherently individualistic and we are encouraged to do so. For world peace everyone would have to agree on every issue that there has ever been or will be. I just can't see that happening, the only way you would achieve it is by taking away people's emotions (Equilibrium) or taking their free will.

Of course.

Fuck, I'd even go a few thousand if it meant world peace.

To do otherwise would be the most sick, twisted and selfish act in the entirety of human history. To let billions of people continously suffer for the entirety of human existence just because of your own selfishness.

What a cunt thing to do.

Torturing a single baby to achieve peace for 7 billion others?

Pfft, yes.

How could anyone be angry at me for doing that to a single baby when I just ended all wars, saving thousands of lives?

And the baby wouldn't be mentally traumatized, baby's tend to not remember things.

I'm not a fan of babies... but world peace?

How about overpopulation and stuff? How would we be able to exploit Africa for all its worth in order to maintain our nice lifestyles if they didn't spend their free time killing each other instead of developing?

So, yeah... no way!

I'm sorry, but...

How would torturing a baby in any way, shape, or form, ever possibly cause peace to break out over the world? One doesn't logically follow the other, which renders the entire question to be completely pointless.

There's no merit to this discussion, whatsoever.

idodo35:

Risingblade:
I don't want to live in a world where torturing a baby brings peaces, what kind of sick twisted place would that be...

what if you made a deal with the devil or some magic stuff? it wont be the torture that brought peace but the deal...

Would you really trust a deal that involved torturing a baby? Wouldn't' that seem suspicious to you?

Since it's j ust hypothetical I'll ignore the large stretch of imagination required for this to be an actual situation and say:

Without any hesitation yes. I don't buy into the "babies and innocent and special and lovely and cute" rubbish, they're just people. Very, very young people. So the price is to torture a person, one that will maybe only suffer physical scarring if any, for the sake of saving potentially billions from emotional and physical scarring and even death. Just yes. So many people suffer so much more than that one child I would need to torture. It's the sensible choice. Actually being able to do it might be a problem because I'm pacifist, struggle to even joking punch friends. Violence isn't in my nature. But I'd be willing to try for the benefits it would reap.

Quick edit: This being said, it depends on the specific type of world peace it means. I'm just assuming here it means no physical conflicts or issues. But mental conflict, disagreeing, competition etc, that's pretty essential and fine to keep. So no if it was the sort of perfect world where nobody is ever disappointed, made fun of or disagreed with sort of thing, but yes if it's just the end of physical violence.

OneCatch :
Can I take the Republican definition of 'baby' and proceed to torture 40 cells?

This.

Also, still. That's a decision you can't really make until you're faced with it for real. So I have no clue. I don't really like babies tho. Loud, drooling, annoying. Not having kids. Ever.

Only if I could kill it afterwards. Not having some kid go through life seven shades of fucked up just so I can feel better about myself.

Buretsu:
I'm sorry, but...

How would torturing a baby in any way, shape, or form, ever possibly cause peace to break out over the world? One doesn't logically follow the other, which renders the entire question to be completely pointless.

There's no merit to this discussion, whatsoever.

Really?! And here I thought everyone here actually believed torturing a baby could bring world peace! Silly me, thinking it wasn't a hypothetical question?

Seriously, though, do you always do this with threads about super powers, or things like that?

Justify saving the faceless many by the suffering of a faceless one? Of course this is the internet and things are so delightfully abstract and free of consequence or reasonable introspection. The beauty of it all, and the sheer simplicity of thought, no matter how twisted, sick or disturbing the reasoning exists.

No, I wouldn't torture a baby, because then all that has been gained is the proof that world peace can never exist, because then you've shown that one person is willing to torture an innocent for their own ends and is capable of justifying and rationalizing it. What's to stop another who believes what they're doing is right and pure from carrying out another heinous act like that? There are already people in this world today who willingly murder children to achieve their objectives and sincerely believe that what they're doing is right and true and reasonable.

"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy." - Christopher Dawson

TheVioletBandit:

I think your confusing torture with murder.

Maybe I am just searching for an excuse to do it at that point.

Sparky12:

So, who's all still up for torturing that baby?

I still am!

Eddie the head:
No the ends don't justify the means. You are harming the innocent, why you are doing it doesn't matter.

Far more innocent are hurt for far less noble reasons everyday.

NightmareLuna:
Hell yeas! Not for world peace, but to get the chance to torture a baby without facing prison.

That was my thought when I posted too.

crudus:

Far more innocent are hurt for far less noble reasons everyday.

That doesn't make it alright. Both in my mind are unacceptable.

Not unless I know WHY torturing this baby will bring World Peace. Only an insane person would torture a baby because he thought it'd bring world peace.

Seriously why are moral choice discussions always "Will you do <horrible thing X> for [amazing thing Y]?" where X could never happen or would never correlate to Y?

Yep. It helps that babies don't really look like people and can't beg me to stop with words.

It would honestly be a much harder question if you asked the same but substituted "baby" for. . . well someone I know and care about beyond belong to the same species.

Considering that I believe that humans are inherently evil, and violence is our natural state, and that world peace is unattainable, no.

Risingblade:

idodo35:

Risingblade:
I don't want to live in a world where torturing a baby brings peaces, what kind of sick twisted place would that be...

what if you made a deal with the devil or some magic stuff? it wont be the torture that brought peace but the deal...

Would you really trust a deal that involved torturing a baby? Wouldn't' that seem suspicious to you?

good point... but it wont mean the world is fucked up and we are assuming it works...

If i'm honest i would love to say i would do it for world peace.

But when im stood over this baby with a knife or such in my hand and it smiles at me... i couldn't do it.

Ill take the fact i denied world peace on my shoulders, chances are world peace wouldn't last all it takes is 1 person to get greedy, or think god had a turban instead of a baseball cap and its on.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked