Does it piss you off when people text at a movie theater?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I find it annoying when people text during a movie. I feel like it is disrespectful to the other movie-goers. Plus having the backlight of the phone flashing every five minutes very distracting. /frustrated rant

The reason I bring this up because 12 teenager did this when I went go see The Cabin in the Woods. Great movie, I had fun despite my awful theater experience

Is there really even a reason to ask this? The answer is obviously yes.

If you text in a movie theater you should be dragged naked by your genitals across a field of broken glass.

I'd be shocked if anyone thought this was ok. I remember a few years back a friend of a friend answered his phone half way through a film - I was utterly shocked someone could be so rude. Also, if you're watching a film at my home, there must be no talking and phones must be off ... I don't entertain much.

Captcha : "get over it" Ha!

Only if I can actually see them doing it.

And since I generally sit at the back of the theater, I can usually see them.

So yes. Most of the time, anyway. Unless it's something like Safe House, as I didn't care at all if someone distracted me from that. >_>

BloatedGuppy:

If you text in a movie theater you should be dragged naked by your genitals across a field of broken glass.

We spent 30 min arguing this in my ethics course today. Some of my fellow students felt that it was justified because they have social lives that are more important than being respectful to other movie-goers.

I agree with your idea of what the punishment should be

Calls? Fuck yes

Texts? Not really, if its just like once or twice throughout the film its alright but if its some teenage girl texting throughout the entire fucking film then yes.

As long as they are quiet I couldn't give a damn.

However, walking into my local, answering your phone and then shouting like you are trying to be heard over the sound of a plane taking off while i'm trying to watch the fucking football.....

His phone "accidentally" fell into the toilet.....

Yes! it's so distracting!

If the phone is on silent whilst they're texting then no, I couldn't care less. I tend to have my eyes on the movie screen and not on the other people in the room.

Of course it's annoying and the fact that they had to put up a message that says, "Please turn your cellphones off," shows you how dumb people really are. Yeah it's like saying, "Please don't piss on an electric fence or else you won't be able to breed and have more retarded children." This happens all the time when you put a bunch of people in a room that don't know eachother. Most people live in their own little bubble and could give two fucks about ruining your enjoyment. All I got to say is that if you would grabbed his phone and broke it, then chances are he would probably never do it again. Literally wouldn't be able to enjoy the movie because you would have a bunch of worthless teens pissing and moaning.

Not really seeing that the worse thing they can do is not having their phone on silent mode and answering their calls.

I think it's very disrespectful. If you don't want to see the movie, if your social life is more important, then don't go to a theater.

And I wish theaters would enforce their rules better. If someone is texting, KICK THEM OUT!

OP I suggest you start going to the drive-in. I personally have to drive anywhere from an hour to nearly two hours just to go to the drive-in, but its SOOOO worth it. While most theaters charge you nearly five bucks for a box of candy, at a drive in you pay five dollars for a burger and fries. You have direct volume control over the movie and most of the time you don't hear your fellow movie-goers.

It is the Valhalla of movie-going.

I hate when people text, talk on the phone, and talk loud in general in the theater. Why would you pay money to sit in a dark room and text when you can do that at home?

When I went to see 21 Jump Street the girl sitting next to me kept texting, it was fucking annoying, and this guy sitting like 6 seats to the right of me felt the need to answer his phone, talk loudly, and loudly repeat every line he found funny right after they said it.

Also when I went to see American Reunion this loud mouthed girl would not shut the fuck up during the movie.

Oh yeah I just remembered when I went to go see The Crazies with my friends there was this group of teenagers sitting behind us, they kept talking loud and getting up. One of them got their phone taken away, which was awesome.

Screamarie:
I think it's very disrespectful. If you don't want to see the movie, if your social life is more important, then don't go to a theater.

And I wish theaters would enforce their rules better. If someone is texting, KICK THEM OUT!

OP I suggest you start going to the drive-in. I personally have to drive anywhere from an hour to nearly two hours just to go to the drive-in, but its SOOOO worth it. While most theaters charge you nearly five bucks for a box of candy, at a drive in you pay five dollars for a burger and fries. You have direct volume control over the movie and most of the time you don't hear your fellow movie-goers.

It is the Valhalla of movie-going.

I always go to the Drive-In during summer here, the only thing that sucks is that it's by a train track and a race track, so if a train goes by or there's a race it's hard to hear. Our drive in never adapted to transmitting sound through the radio, we're stuck with those speakers you hang in your window.

Why do you even care?
If it's on silent and they're not making calls then it's OK. Other people eating pop corn is more distracting.

Here's a really handy tip:
Don't look at other people, look at the screen.

As long as the screen is not backlit and its on silent, sure. Otherwise, no. I don't want a huge white glow erupting 5 feet in front of me.

HardkorSB:
Why do you even care?
If it's on silent and they're not making calls then it's OK. Other people eating pop corn is more distracting.

Some people have peripheral vision.

OP: If they have a backlit screen and there's sound, then it's annoying and disrespectful. Otherwise I don't care.

Psykoma:

HardkorSB:
Why do you even care?

OP: If they have a backlit screen and there's sound, then it's annoying and disrespectful. Otherwise I don't care.

Another tip:
Don't sit at the back. Sit in the middle or closer to the front. That way you'll have to look straight, even a bit up (if you're more in front) and you won't see the lights of the phones.
Also, if a tiny light can ruin a movie experience for you, the cinema isn't for you.

as long as their backlight isnt too strong its fine by me I swear some are flashlight bright
and can be distracting

personally i am more concerned when people don't even make an effort to shush their kids when I went to see secret of arriety there was this one kid that kept talking and the mother did not even try to tell the kid not to talk during the movie

jackpackage200:

We spent 30 min arguing this in my ethics course today. Some of my fellow students felt that it was justified because they have social lives that are more important than being respectful to other movie-goers.

Then they should get the fuck out of the room and answer the phone / text back.

It is part of the social etiquette, in cinemas in my area there is always an ad before the film which basically asks people to shut down their phones.

Hell yes. I don't mind people talking during the pre-adverts, when the lights are on. When the adverts start then nobody should be talking in any way, but texting or turning phones off should be fine. As soon as the adverts end and the trailers start, then everything else should be off, and everyone silent (snacks are acceptable provided they aren't too loud).

During the film itself, I hold to the view that anyone who uses anything like a phone or ipod or anything in any way should be made to leave the cinema, without a refund. We have ushers, right? Surely this comes under affecting other people's enjoyment of the film. The only acceptable exception should be in the case of an emergency, otherwise if you want to text or otherwise use your phone then leave the screen and do it outside. Come back in to the film afterwards, but don't you fuckers dare use it in the screen while the film is playing.

(Sorry, I just get a bit angry at these people sometimes...)

EDIT: Who's seen the newest Orange ads/'turn off your mobile' videos they do? Here in the UK, it's been a rather funny one with 'Orange Phone Wardens' or something setting up a TSA/Border Control style over-zealous anti-phone system, with spot checks, x-ray machines and sniffer dogs trained to 'sniff out phone signals'. I'd actually love to see that in cinemas, if only for the lulz...

HardkorSB:

Psykoma:

HardkorSB:
Why do you even care?

Another tip:
Don't sit at the back. Sit in the middle or closer to the front. That way you'll have to look straight, even a bit up (if you're more in front) and you won't see the lights of the phones.
Also, if a tiny light can ruin a movie experience for you, the cinema isn't for you.

I never sit in the back.
Something doesn't have to ruin the movies to diminish them.

Seriously, some of these phones are like flashlights turning on in the theatre.

It would be nice if theatres were more strict about it, like have the ushers check the room every now and then, if you've got your phone out, you can expect to be kicked out without a refund.

The most practical solution is to complain to the theatre a lot and encourage others to do it, it's common sense that they would try and root out a problem that makes so many customers furious. Better yet, ask for a refund since your entertainment was compromised, a lot of them are obligated to do it. The loss of revenue will entice them to do something about it.

Once or twice I can ignore.

But if it is frequently happening, then I get annoyed, and that's only if I see it (i.e. it's directly between me and the screen).

it pisses me off when people text in my presance..even when it reasonable it still pisses me off

"like Im too cool for you so Im going to text because of my CRAZY social life and all"

The theaters I go to are never pitch black anyways, so as long as it's quiet I don't really mind

I'm blatantly immune to light pollution and most people text silently or quietly, it really isn't a problem for me.

Not particularly, as long as they don't have any sound on or full screen brightness or do nothing the entire movie but send texts. Keep it civil and at least try not to bother others, and it's cool

jackpackage200:

To those entitled shits I'd say I feel smashing their faces in after the movie to feel better is more important than their social life.

Damn it, it's late and I didn't phrase that right. All I'm trying to say is that if you don't care about being respectful, don't be surprised when someone pisses in your coat pocket while you are enjoying your texts.

BloatedGuppy:

That was a bit... Kaiden, you got this...

EDIT: Stupid timed link isn't working :(

Texting in general is annoying.
I saw a group of highschoolers or whatever all on their phones texting a year or so ago at a restaurant table. Sooo why bother hanging out if you're going to txt and that's it?

During hangouts, playing a co-op shooter, pause txt, play, pause, txt.
"Something going on?"
"Nah just bullshitting with a friend"
"Why not invite him over?"
"Nah he's annoying"

....:| ....>:U

No why should it? If i am paying more attention to what people are doing around me than i am to the film then it's obviously not a good film. Also phone back lighting is not brighter than the film projectors so if your complaining about the glow being distracting then a pro tip would be, watch the damn film not the dudes around you.

If the film is so boring you need to text to keep yourself entertained, get the fuck out of the theater. It is really as simple as that.

BRIGHT LIGHTS

In a dark room, bright lights are VERY irritating. I nearly slapped someone's hand over it once, but he shut the phone and didn't take it out again.

I honestly rarely notice and even when I don't mind because I don't feel like it's distracting me from the movie the way, say, a ringtone going off would.

jackpackage200:

That makes no sense, why are they spending their time watching a "less important" movie when they have socializing to do then?

I've never noticed honestly, I'm too busy watching the movie

just got a new job at a cinema, when we do screen checks it's down to our own discretion with what we do with phone users, some people ignore it, oters only interfere if the offender is talking on the phone, I however don't stand for it, you're in a cinema, phones off! I've only been there a few weeks and already I've had two people removed from the films because of repeated phone usaage

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked