Largest Megastructures in Sci-Fi

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

What do you think the biggest Megastructure is in Sci-Fi? Obviouslly there is many of them, and some may be bigger but not as widely known.

I think at the moment that is is the Shield World in Halo, the one in Ghosts of Onyx and Glasslands, is 2.55036e+17 (500 Million times the surface area of Earth) or 255 quadrillion km2.

So post what you think is the largest Megastrucutre is!

The place where they construct planets in The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy is 13 light seconds across, or 3,897,301,954 metres. Which would be... 190,870,132,282,126,866,381.2 m2. So, roughly 190.87 quintillion m2.

Your move.

Melon Hunter:
The place where they construct planets in The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy is 13 light seconds across, or 3,897,301,954 metres. Which would be... 190,870,132,282,126,866,381.2 m2. So, roughly 190.87 quintillion m2.

Your move.

I was going to go with the Corellian System in the Star Wars EU, but the Hitchhiker's Guide one utterly trumps that. Fuck.

Only the Culture or something is going to beat that.

EDIT: GOT ONE! The Galaxy pendant in Men in Black!!
That's got a whole galaxy in it, so approximately 4.1x10^48 m^3. That's:

4,100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000m^3

Your move :P

Wouldn't it be a Dyson Sphere? I mean, stars are pretty big, and you'd have to build an enclosure around one...

Loop Stricken:
Wouldn't it be a Dyson Sphere? I mean, stars are pretty big, and you'd have to build an enclosure around one...

We're already way beyond Dyson Sphere's my friend. Look at the above posts!

What about the mechs at the very end of Gurren Lagann? Weren't they throwing galaxies at each other?

I hate to be 'that guy' here but...

Technically the hitch hikers one doesn't count as the book says it's a closed loop of hyperspace so it's not really a structure as such, more of a place.

I'd go with Loop Stricken and say Dyson sphere

x EvilErmine x:

Technically the hitch hikers one doesn't count as the book says it's a closed loop of hyperspace so it's not really a structure as such, more of a place.

It's still 'constructed' though (it's a big shipyard within in the hyperspace loop), so is technically a megastructure. And, more importantly (pseudo-arrogance btw) does my suggestion count?

OneCatch :

x EvilErmine x:

It's still 'constructed' though (it's a big shipyard within in the hyperspace loop), so is technically a megastructure. And, more importantly (pseudo-arrogance btw) does my suggestion count?

Hmm that really depends on your definition of what a megastructure is. Is a large collection of smaller associated structures considered a megastructure?

The Ark from Halo

And you thought a Halo ring was big!

Fappy:
What about the mechs at the very end of Gurren Lagann? Weren't they throwing galaxies at each other?

Yeah I think they were. Don't think anyones gonna top this.

The UAC towards the end of Isaac Asimov's The Last Question has spread its receptors and processes throughout the entire universe. It isn't a single physical structure, but I think it counts.

Fappy:

Hazy992:

Fappy:

Those are Mech's. Even if's really large, It doesn't quite qualify as a Megastructure as it is a mech.

If I remember correctly, the maximum size of structure built is classed by the Kardashev scale.
I'm pretty sure "someone clever" worked out that a type 4 civilisation could not exist in our universe yet though because our universe isn't old enough, but they're the guys who would theoretically be building megastructures.

A type 4 civilisation should theoretically be able to construct a megasphere that takes something like 1200 galactic masses to cover 200 light years (numbers might be a bit off.) Much bigger than that and it would most likely turn into a massive black hole. That makes the assumption that the type 4 civilisation needs an atmosphere similar to humanity though. Some folks believe that voids in space (such as the Bootes void) have been harvested for use in big constructions by advanced civilisations, but that just made me think of Dyson spheres made by the vacuum cleaner manufacturer, not aliens.

OneCatch :

Loop Stricken:

I don't know how big a Dyson Sphere would actually BE.

Also RE: the MiB pendant, Frank said it himself that it's very very small.

Korten12:

Fappy:

Hazy992:

Fappy:

Those are Mech's. Even if's really large, It doesn't quite qualify as a Megastructure as it is a mech.

I'd disagree on the distinction between mech and structure being relevant to the purposes of this discussion, but I'd still blow it off as being too stupid to be considered.

OneCatch :

Melon Hunter:

Your move.

I was going to go with the Corellian System in the Star Wars EU, but the Hitchhiker's Guide one utterly trumps that. Fuck.

It clearly isn't that many meters at all. It is an entire galaxy in the size of a marble, so the galaxy is the size of the that marble.
I suppose that maybe the aliens playing with our galaxy at the end of the movie might count for something. Maybe the bag that they put it in?

Guys guys, the real answer here is your mother.

Irridium:

i would have thought it was '42' ......

In one of the Inheritance Trilogy by Ian Douglas, an ancient sentient robot race built a Dyson Sphere around the supermassive black hole at the center of the Milky Way.
Link here to the wikipedia Supermassive Black Hole page- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermassive_black_hole

Irridium:

Damn it. Ninjas everywhere. Twenty-six minutes earlier (at time of writing), and I would have been good.

I'll chime in with the Hitchhiker's guide one, then. That's almost as big as your mom.

twistedmic:
In one of the Inheritance Trilogy by Ian Douglas, an ancient sentient robot race built a Dyson Sphere around the supermassive black hole at the center of the Milky Way.
Link here to the wikipedia Supermassive Black Hole page- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermassive_black_hole

But a Super Massive Black Hole (at least what's at the center of a SMB) is small compared to say a Star. If we were talking about Mass per Volume, SMBs trump all.

I'm not sure what the largest mega-structure would be but looking about the internet Topopoli seem to be the largest structures. A structure that varies from miles in length to billions of miles in length with a several mile/kilometer radius. I read about one that encompassed the universe.

What about forge world from 40k? They are planets converted into giant factories, hell I'm pretty sure that there would be a forge world that was used to make other forge worlds in the dark age of technology....

Fappy:

Yeah, I can't think of anything bigger.

Loop Stricken:

OneCatch :

Loop Stricken:

A Dyson Sphere for the Sun is about 1 AU, or the distance between the Earth and the Sun. However, a Dyson Sphere's size depends on the size of the star. A Dyson Sphere around, say VV Cephei, would probably be several light-years in diameter.

Buster Machine 3 from Gunbuster
in short it,s a black hole bomb designed to destroy a star system it does this by imploding the planet Jupiter. I was going to say the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann but that one wasn't constructed but created.
this thing is bigger then any planet in the solar system

Besides, silly a$$ things like Hitchhiker's or one-off episodes about Dyson Spheres, the largest mega structures I've seen was those Skyscraper-ships that would just land on top of the existing civilization in The Chronicles of Riddick

I forget the name of the novel (I will look it up at some point), but within the story it is posited that the Milky Way itself was constructed by a race, or collective, of hyper-advanced beings.

So basically, it's a "structure" approximately one hundred thousand light years across containing billions of stars and countless other celestial bodies.

That may trump just about any other "structure" I can think of in any science fiction story I've ever come across.

dunno if it's the largest. but i think it gets points for being mobile.

Magog World Ship from Andromeda.

No doubt, Bolder's Ring (or the Ring) from Xeelee Sequence. It's basically a ring over 10 million light years across in intergalactic space. Its rotation affected the motion of galaxies and its gravitational forces generated a portal to another universe.

If constructs made of cosmic strings don't count, then the largest megastructure is probably a Dyson shell.

wintercoat:

Loop Stricken:

OneCatch :

A Dyson Sphere for the Sun is about 1 AU, or the distance between the Earth and the Sun. However, a Dyson Sphere's size depends on the size of the star. A Dyson Sphere around, say VV Cephei, would probably be several light-years in diameter.

I doubt it - Canis Majoris (biggest star) is still 'only' around 2000 solar diameters across - stars can't actually get that much bigger.

A dyson sphere around a sol sized star would need to be about 1 AU. Scale that up by a factor of a couple of thousand for a massive star (just for the sake of extra luminosity or whatever) and you get a number that's still a couple of orders of magnitude below a light year - we're probably talking 10's of light minutes or a few light hours across. Let's not forget that Voyager 1 is only about 15 light hours away from the sun - and that's at the goddam heliopause!

A light year is *really* big. Any stellar scale object just isn't going to cut it - which is why everyone (myself included) is now coming up with daft examples from horribly soft sci-fi and space opera :P

ajemas:

OneCatch :

Melon Hunter:

Your move.

It clearly isn't that many meters at all. It is an entire galaxy in the size of a marble, so the galaxy is the size of the that marble.
I suppose that maybe the aliens playing with our galaxy at the end of the movie might count for something. Maybe the bag that they put it in?

It's that big if you're inside it - Ooooohh 'philosophising about perspective' time! :P

Alastair Reynolds' novel Pushing Ice features an alien structure several light hours in size. The size of an entire solar system. Makes Dyson Spheres seem like marbles.

For a more well-defined structure I'd go with the Ringworld. The surface area of Larry Niven's Ringworld is about 3 million times that of Earth.

Relevant

Not the largest I know, but certainly impressive is Earth from Warhammer 40000. It's one big building that covers the entire planet, and it mainly serves... administrative purposes.
Now that shit is scary!

And from the Foundation novels, Trantor the Imperial capitol. A world enclosed by steel were the word "surface" doesn't really have any meaning.

Also from Warhammer 40K, one of the last remaining Star Gods is trapped inside a Dyson sphere as large as a very big solar system.

Man science fiction is awesome!

Ares Gandhi:
No doubt, Bolder's Ring (or the Ring) from Xeelee Sequence. It's basically a ring over 10 million light years across in intergalactic space. Its rotation affected the motion of galaxies and its gravitational forces generated a portal to another universe.

If constructs made of cosmic strings don't count, then the largest megastructure is probably a Dyson shell.

Yeah the Bolder's ring is the one I was going to go with. I doubt there are structures larger then that except maybe something that the dark matter bird race that defeated the xeelee created.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked