21st Century Children and Respect

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Recently, I was talking to my 12-year-old brother and his friend, and I was shocked to discover that they didn't find Dead Space scary. Well, okay, not everyone does... but as I delved into the subject with them, I grew increasingly disturbed to find that they didn't consider ANYTHING scary. Friday the 13th, Doom 3, Alien, the Thing, etc... and something clicked for me. I understand now all of the problems with today's youth. Whenever someone says that something is wrong with a modern child, I will now know the cause of that. It's not video games making them more violent. It's not TV making them stupid. It's not TV showing them sex. It's that they don't RESPECT anything.

Modern (American, let me make myself clear that I mean American and, to a lesser extent, British and Australian children throughout this) children are raised in varying environments, but with one unifying factor: they are somehow taught not to respect anything, and to take it all for granted. They don't respect any forms of entertainment that they are provided with, they just use them up and moan when it isn't there (technically, children have been doing this for a while, but I think it's worse now.). They don't respect their lives, they just waddle along without even considering what they do or don't have. They don't even respect their parents, I don't think. They may pretend to, or even think they do, but this is just to keep them on the same side. I know my brother takes my dad for granted; he doesn't consider him a person, more a force of nature that will always be there, giving him whatever he wants. This is why he shows so much surpise whenever my Dad shows any kind of emotion.

I'm not sure if I'm just imagining this, so... thoughts?

A good example of the logical fallacy of generalization.

My little brother left the room half way while watching the Thing with me, and had nightmares for about a week.

/thread.

It has been my experience that "these kids these days" are lacking in the respect of everything (especially other people) category, but I have no idea how that impacts (or doesn't) whether they find movies scary.

Of course, my opinion on their level of respect may be directly influenced by my dislike of kids/teenagers. *shrug* But, in my defense, I'd like them more if they were more respectful of other people. *shakes cane and wanders back out*

bigfatcarp93:
snip?

I cant watch horror movies, Im a wuss who cant take gore

and I didnt find dead space scary...at all

in fact aside from "cringe inducing uncomforable" of gore in horror movies I wouldnt find them "scary"

"scary" and "omg thats gross!" and "AHH JUMP SCARE" are all very different things

anyway I dont think theres anythign wrong with "kids" today...socreties said that "kids today" were disrepectful little shits, back in ancient greece

I guess I have a lack of respect then...

Istvan:

Well said Mr.Spock, well said.

I think that the general lack of respect and self entitlement stems from shit parents. It's not the kids fault that they were raised with a TV for a parents. Not the kid's fault that they come to expect getting everything that they want when that's what their parents do.

I've seen it when working in retail. 12 year old kid wants GTA. I warn the parents that the game is rated M and may not be suitable for his/her child. Parent takes time to read the back of the game. Parent says no. Kid pitches fit. Parent says yes.

Maybe I'm just a moron, but they don't find anything scary because they don't have respect? What?

Also this:

Istvan:

Gross generalization, I find none of that stuff scary, in fact I have never been scared by any type of horror media and even in real life I'm really hard to scare, but that's just the kind of person I am, most people of my generation do find those things scary, also Dead Space is not even a Horror Game as far as I'm concerned it didn't even attempt to scare you.
But anyway, that's just the way those 2 kids are don't assume that's the standard of this generation, because it's not, most kids of this generation that I know (All of my nephews, seriously there are over 20 of them) think I'm the bravest person in the entire world, because I don't get scared with anything, nor do I seem to get sad or startled, but anyway I'm fairly sure they respect me and admire me.

And the "Kids these days have no respect for anything" was old before I was born, seriously every generation says that of the next one.

First, fallacious generalization as Spock said.

Secondly, I'm going to ask how you got from lack of fear to no respect.

Lastly, I'm just going to say I think it's nonsense to think that they don't respect anything these days. Old rhetoric and I have never seen substance for it.

Kaleion:
(All of my nephews, seriously they are over 20)

They're over 20? Or are there over 20? The former seems unlikely since you're 21 according to your profile and would not make them kids. The latter... well it's possible, seems extreme, but quite possible.

Mortai Gravesend:

Kaleion:

They're over 20? Or are there over 20? The former seems unlikely since you're 21 according to your profile and would not make them kids. The latter... well it's possible, seems extreme, but quite possible.

*Sigh* My grammar sucks, sorry I meant there are over 20 of them, I'm going to correct that now.

Kaleion:

Mortai Gravesend:

Kaleion:

*Sigh* My grammar sucks, sorry I meant there are over 20 of them, I'm going to correct that now.

Well it wasn't too hard to guess what you meant. Though I figured that it's also possible there's a huge age difference between you and your siblings, it's just so much more unlikely.

But yikes, huge family. How can you even keep track of that many nephews?

imahobbit4062:
Maybe I'm just a moron, but they don't find anything scary because they don't have respect? What?

Yeah, maybe I could have made my logic a little clearer there... my thought is that you have to respect something to fear it.

bigfatcarp93:

imahobbit4062:

Yeah, maybe I could have made my logic a little clearer there... my thought is that you have to respect something to fear it.

Still terrible logic.

imahobbit4062:

bigfatcarp93:

imahobbit4062:

Still terrible logic.

I stand by it.

"Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers."

Socrates, Ancient Greek Philosopher, 470 BC-399 BC

Sure, 21st century kids must be the problem right? Not to mention your logic is silly OP, I'm not scared by pretty much any film or video game, not because I lack respect but simply because I'm not a particularly fearful person. Your brother is probably the same.

Mortai Gravesend:

Kaleion:

Mortai Gravesend:

Well it wasn't too hard to guess what you meant. Though I figured that it's also possible there's a huge age difference between you and your siblings, it's just so much more unlikely.

But yikes, huge family. How can you even keep track of that many nephews?

I don't, seriously I wouldn't be surprised if there are actually 50 of them and I never noticed, now there are so many of them because I count my cousins children as nephews too since they call me uncle, I don't know what else I would call them, but anyway there are a lot of them, and most of them seem very respectful, and even the teenagers seem respectful enough, but for some reason the teenagers love me and like to stick with me like chewed gum on shoes, really not sure why since I'm really boring to be around, but anyway, I figured they counted as this generation.

So can this thread be basically summed up as "Those damn kids"?

Because I feel like old people have been saying that since forever

bigfatcarp93:

imahobbit4062:

bigfatcarp93:

Still terrible logic.

I stand by it.

Continue to stand by your incredibly flawed and downright stupid logic?
Yeah, you do that.

Complaining about our horrible kids is a time honoured tradition of getting old. If kids do not stand up to offer seats to elderly passengers on trains, I write a letter to the school-as is a right of getting older and grumpier.

I do not think that this lot is any worse than us back in the 90s (remember pogs) and the thing about being young is that you grow out of it.

I always laugh at parents who pander to their children because at the end of the day little precious will be 30, uneducated, unenployable, and sponging off mum and dad.

You reap what you sow.

bigfatcarp93:
I understand now all of the problems with today's youth. Whenever someone says that something is wrong with a modern child, I will now know the cause of that. It's not video games making them more violent. It's not TV making them stupid. It's not TV showing them sex. It's that they don't RESPECT anything.

Emphasis mine.

You were born in 1993. You're still a kid. In fact, you're one of them.

Besides, your reasoning is flawed and only a repetition of the age old whinging that comes and goes about once a month when someone your aged has this whole "oh god, they don't respect us older folk!" realization dawn on them, without actually realizing the irony of the entire situation.

Huh? They didn't find film scary so don't have respect o_O

Thing is, respect is something which is also taught, parents who're not this generation aren't teaching it to their children to respect people, toys, themselves.

I don't think we can throw all of the blame on the kids.

Plus, every generation has said kids have no respect. Just in different ways (as in, they didn't have the gadgets in the 70's like the do today which can show disrespect) there will always be people who frankly don't give a shit.

overpuce:
I've seen it when working in retail. 12 year old kid wants GTA. I warn the parents that the game is rated M and may not be suitable for his/her child. Parent takes time to read the back of the game. Parent says no. Kid pitches fit. Parent says yes.

I'd throw a hissy fit over that. Not because my parents said no, but because they said no as a result of seeing the rating. Ratings are hugely exaggerated. I was watching/playing M and MA movies/games when I was eleven years old. I wasn't any more succeptible to them then than I am now. I think the problem with kids today is that we coddle them and treat them like stupid retards who can't cope with anything or think for themselves. Then we act confused when they start acting up or rebelling. Or worse, when they actually wind up as mindless dumbasses.

Ok that scared thing is just silly, please don't make connections like that.

But on the topic of respect, no kids are not being taught to disrespect things they learn it from others, and who might those others be?! Strange people on a lost island somewhere?
No those others are adults, they learned disrespect from adults.
Now let that one sink in next time you go banging on how disrespectful kids are, because that is what you taught them to be.

Treat people with respect only then can they learn how it works.

manic_depressive13:

I'd throw a hissy fit over that. Not because my parents said no, but because they said no as a result of seeing the rating. Ratings are hugely exaggerated. I was watching/playing M and MA movies/games when I was eleven years old. I wasn't any more succeptible to them then than I am now. I think the problem with kids today is that we coddle them and treat them like stupid retards who can't cope with anything or think for themselves. Then we act confused when they start acting up or rebelling. Or worse, when they actually wind up as mindless dumbasses.

As far as the warning, there's a prompt at the cash register that tells us to warn the parent and/or request ID. What concerns me to a kid that age pitching a hissy fit in the first place. Sure it might be acceptable when you're 3 but when you're in your pre-teens or teenage years?

I know that kids can think for themselves and they have brains. I'm also acutely aware that overbearing parenting can cause their child to rebel (I did). I also know that they're more resilient than most people give them credit for.

What it all boils down to is shit parenting.

There have been changes in the way children behave, but it's nothing to do with a specific generation, more to do with a steady progression down the last few generations. The current crop of children, including my stepson, are being taught that they can be anything they want to be... but equally that they need to KNOW what they want to be, at eleven.

Parents, increasingly confused as to what they can and cannot do to teach and discipline their children, are being forced to leave it to the schools.. and the schools have their hands tied and are trying to do more than they can reasonably do.

Still.. I don't think the fact they are not scared of video games can really be used as a factor in that.

its not the problem of kids but people in general take things for granted

"Doom 3 is not scarry" -> OP got trolled by two 12 year olds.
Also, fear is not synonymous with respect.
Silly trolls.

oh what some one else making incorrect generalizations about me!
and looking back on "the good old days" with nostalgia!
and saying "your generation is bad"!

i cant even be bothered to argue against this anymore because its so obviously wrong...

actually fuck it ill point out everything your wrong on
1. dead space isnt scary
2. most modern horror films are not scary, people go to them to be freaked out by gore, not my thing though if i want to be mentally scared i'll go to motherless.com for 5 minutes and if i want to see gore ill use my imagination
3. "CHILDREN DONT RESPECT ANYTHING AHH FULL CAPS RAGE" dont you think this is a bit of a overreaction, kids dont find horror films scary, they have no respect for anything, solders? NO!, firemen? NO!, athletes? NO! parents? NO! teachers? NO! e.c.t
4. you take food for granted i take entertainment for granted why? because both are needed to function as a human being and there is a abundance of both of them readily available to me
5. um i really respect my parents and so do allot of people my age, my dad is a high ranking accountant who works super hard to provide for our family and is a really smart, successful guy of course i respect him (same goes for teachers)

/edit i thought id add this

Well i consider that HAS A KID EVERYTHING IS SCARY. Heck i remember watching Alladin's sequel and watching Jafar's big scary eyes, scared me completely. Heck when i was a kid i acctually thinked The Ring 2 was a scary movie. And at the time i felt scared about it.

Now has an Adult i can play survival horrors or watch scary movies withouth feeling scared... cuz i know it's all fantasy, unreal, fake.

So yeah... sorry to burst your bubble in wich you think your bulletproof to every single horror movie/ game. It would be kinda ridiculous if those games left you scared.

I dunno about kids, but I still find shit scary and I'm 21. Last halloween, me and my housemates sat down to watch the original Halloween movie. We totally freaked the fuck out. We kept hearing noises from the house, we were afraid to leave the living room first. I think the kids aren't watching the stuff properly, and wanting to sound hard to their friends.

...The fuck? I'm 18, so I've spent the better part of my upbringing in this oh-so-terrible century, and I'm not some barbarian. Every generation thinks the following one is full of savages, right back to Socrates' day. Nothing new, nothing to worry about.

Istvan:

Ninja'd by the first reply. Damn.

Jakub324:
...The fuck? I'm 18, so I've spent the better part of my upbringing in this oh-so-terrible century, and I'm not some barbarian. Every generation thinks the following one is full of savages, right back to Socrates' day. Nothing new, nothing to worry about.

Basically, this. The only game that really scared me was Amnesia: The Dark Descent (and it's expansion, Justine). Does that mean I don't respect anything? Because I react differently to some people in other situations?

I think the reason that, dare I say, my Generation, and the Generation below mine, raise less fingers and hide behind less sofas than older people at things like Alien is because we've seen it parodied, redone, parodied again by another parody, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public inquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters. We're used to these things, and aren't as intimidated by them as we know, more or less, what to expect.

I leave you, with this.

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm 17; almost 18. I do consider that there is another Generation after mine right now.

Your oldness is showing... We call that weakness round these parts.

Really though, you're sounding like a fuddy-duddy. I'm 22, when I was a nipper I was watching all the horror films and remaining remarkably un-phased. It's a combination of knowledge oversaturation, desensitisation and an inability to contextualise. Nothing to do with respect.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked