What are you reading? What books have you got lined up?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I've been reading American Psycho, and it strikes me as the sort of book that some Escapists might be knowledgeable about.

Anyway, I'm about 40% of the way through it, and while it's definitely interesting, it just seems very scatterbrained. A plot is emerging, but it's all surrounded by a lot of unannounced occurrences. All in all, definitely stranger than any other book I've read.

I was just wondering, is there a point to all this? Does it become clear at any point?

While it's very interesting, and entertaining (and a little bit unnerving) I do want to blast through it, partially because it's borrowed, and I should get it back to my friend, and also because I'm of a mind to start the Sharpe books, of which I have bought the chronological first two, as well as continue the Sword of Truth books (I've just gotten Naked Empire, which is a mind bendingly large book)

Aside from hopefully getting an answer to my question, I'd like to see what other Escapists are reading, too.

Mistborn Trilogy. It's alright. Characters are kinda flat.

Thinking of Name of the Wind next, I hear it's decent. That's assuming Abercrombie's new book isn't out by then.

BloatedGuppy:
Mistborn Trilogy. It's alright. Characters are kinda flat.

Thinking of Name of the Wind next, I hear it's decent. That's assuming Abercrombie's new book isn't out by then.

I've never heard of either of those. The characters can't be anymore mind numbingly average than the ones in the Hunger Games books.

Binnsyboy:
I've never heard of either of those. The characters can't be anymore mind numbingly average than the ones in the Hunger Games books.

Hunger Games is read for its brisk pacing, not its memorable characterizations. Although I would argue that bitchy, paranoid, manipulative Katniss is a more interesting character than many.

BloatedGuppy:

Binnsyboy:

Hunger Games is read for its brisk pacing, not its memorable characterizations. Although I would argue that bitchy, paranoid, manipulative Katniss is a more interesting character than many.

I just find her whiny and contrived. Probably why Stephanie Meyer liked the books so much.

The only interesting character to me was Hamish.

Binnsyboy:
I just find her whiny and contrived. Probably why Stephanie Meyer liked the books so much.

Well, she's a 16 year old. Of course she's whiny.

I disagree on the contrived. One of the things I enjoyed about her was that she was stubbornly NOT a Mary Sue. Not only is she borderline unlikable, she spends 90% of the books alternating between life threatening injuries and getting her ass kicked. The "dead shot with a bow" bit is a little corny, but compared to, say, Lisbeth Salander, she's about as far from contrived as you're likely to get in "young adult" fiction.

However, to each their own. I don't really want to end up in a situation where I'm stubbornly defending Hunger Games, because it's not like I think it's great literature or anything.

I just recently finished reading Gates of Fire and am currently reading Tides of War, both by Steven Pressfield. I plan on following up this one with The Virtues of War and Last of the Amazons, also by Pressfield, and Pride of Carthage by David Anthony Durham. After I've done all this, I'm going to read the Kull and Solomon Kane original short stories by Robert E. Howard. :D

EDIT: Also, I recently tried a failed attempt at reading the Lord of the Rings books. I finished and loved The Hobbit, I survived through The Fellowship.. with some ups and downs and I just died at The Two Towers. I absolutely loved the first half of the book, but by all the glorious gods humans have ever worshipped, did those Frodo/Sam/Gollum sections downright suck. After two chapters of the Hobbits' half of the book, I just lost all desire to continue reading. The Hobbit sections were just horrible for me and drove me from reading the last book. Which is unfortunate because, like I said, I love the first half of The Two Towers so much.

I'm reading Dirk Gently - The long Dark Tea-Time Of The Soul

I watched the bbc series and had to read the books, I've already finished the first book and I have to say I think I enjoyed the tv-series better. They're still pretty good good books though.
After DG2 I'll probably read the salmon of doubt.

BloatedGuppy:

Binnsyboy:

Well, she's a 16 year old. Of course she's whiny.

I disagree on the contrived. One of the things I enjoyed about her was that she was stubbornly NOT a Mary Sue. Not only is she borderline unlikable, she spends 90% of the books alternating between life threatening injuries and getting her ass kicked. The "dead shot with a bow" bit is a little corny, but compared to, say, Lisbeth Salander, she's about as far from contrived as you're likely to get in "young adult" fiction.

However, to each their own. I don't really want to end up in a situation where I'm stubbornly defending Hunger Games, because it's not like I think it's great literature or anything.

Indeed. That was a deadly trap I almost lured you into!

I'm about halfway through "A Renegade History of the United States - How Drunks, Delinquents and Other Outcasts Made America" by Thaddeus Russell. It's pretty good, lots of 'I didn't know that' information and different views on things I did know about.

Next up is either a re-read of the "his Dark Materials" series, or some books I still need to order.

Currently juggling the Iliad (Robert Fagles translation) and some of Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser stories. They're excellent.

Binnsyboy:
Anyway, I'm about 40% of the way through it, and while it's definitely interesting, it just seems very scatterbrained. A plot is emerging, but it's all surrounded by a lot of unannounced occurrences. All in all, definitely stranger than any other book I've read.

I was just wondering, is there a point to all this? Does it become clear at any point?

Dunno, I did watch the movie, though. And judging from that, the book must be full of awesome. I'll try to explain it that way - when I watched the movie, I had no idea it was based on a book. That's how good it was. Very few other movies manage to do that and they are mainly based on very good books, as well. Fight Club was another notable example.

I'm not going to spoil the ending for you (assuming it's similar enough across the two versions) but...just read the damn book. It should be good.

Anyway, what I have lined up is
David Wong's John Dies at the End
Kevin Mitnick's The Art of Deception (I'm half way or 2/3 through it, I just need to finish it) as well as the sort of sequel The Art of Intrusion.
And eventually Cold Days by Jim Butcher. When it comes out.

That's what I have lined up for the foreseeable future. I have a few more books on my Amazon wishlist but after I'm done with these, I'll see if I want them then or would I rather go for something else.

I'm about half way done with Lords of the Sea by John R. Hale. It's a book about the ancient Athenian Navy and how it impacted their society, what? It's totally interest and the guy that wrote it make it a really good read and not boring as hell.

After that I plan on reading The Eldritch Tales by good 'ol H.P. Lovecraft.

Uhm, I've got the fourth Dune book (God Emperor of Dune) half-read. Same goes for The Hound of Baskerville but in my ebook collection.
I also am part-way through Dante's Divina Comedia, Plato's Politeia as well as the Poetic Edda... though those last ones are all books I prefer to stretch out over a longer time due to their exhausting unreadableness.
And technically speaking I should count the atlas of human anatomy I am currently having open on my bed too I guess.

Rereading my Raymond E.Feist collection at the moment.Currently on "Rise of a Merchant Prince"

I just finished Destined, the latest in the House of Night series. I'm not sure what I'll be reading next. The next HoN book won't be out until October. Probably a fetish-related book that I'll decline to name here.

Discworld series (by Terry Pratchett). Just finished Thud! (again), going to start Snuff.

MetalDooley:
Rereading my Raymond E.Feist collection at the moment.Currently on "Rise of a Merchant Prince"

I read those and they are awesome.

On Topic:
I've got a few books that I am currently reading right now depending on what room and mood I am in.

1) Fairy Tale - Raymond E. Feist: It's about a family that moves onto a Fairy reservation.
2) Fragile Things - Neil Gaimen: A series of short stories by the author
3) A Confederacy of Dunces: First read through, I have yet to start

I would be re-reading Snowcrash or Vamped if my friends ever returned those books.

I'm currently reading A Feast for Crows, from the A Song of Fire and Ice series by George R.R. Martin. Once I have finished this series I'm going to read It by Stephen King.

Padwolf:
I'm currently reading A Feast for Crows, from the A Song of Fire and Ice series by George R.R. Martin. Once I have finished this series I'm going to read It by Stephen King.

Oh, what I like about A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons is they both cover different events happening around the same time, with A Dance With Dragons then leading further on towards the end.

Just spent the last hour binging American Psycho. I'm a little over half way through it now.

Binnsyboy:

Padwolf:

Oh, what I like about A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons is they both cover different events happening around the same time, with A Dance With Dragons then leading further on towards the end.

Just spent the last hour binging American Psycho. I'm a little over half way through it now.

I can't wait to get further in the books, but sadly university essays is holding me back from reading all day! Only two days left and then I have a whole lifetime to read!

American Psycho was a great book and fun to read, but very strange.

Padwolf:

Binnsyboy:

Padwolf:

I can't wait to get further in the books, but sadly university essays is holding me back from reading all day! Only two days left and then I have a whole lifetime to read!

American Psycho was a great book and fun to read, but very strange.

All of this I've said in the OP, but I might as well discuss it.

I'm enjoying it, as freaky as it is, but I can't wait to crack open the two Sharpe novels I've bought. Sharpe's Tiger and Sharpe's Triumph. Chronologically speaking, the first in the series, and even though they weren't written first, I've heard they don't spoil the books they serve as prequels for.

overpuce:

MetalDooley:

I read those and they are awesome.

I second, third, fourth and fifth this opinion...

'Hello, daddy!' is possibly the best line out of the whole quadrilogy, never fails to amuse me, at least.

OT: Einstein's Clocks & Poincare's Maps by Peter Galison... to remind me how mad people were in years gone by. Would you believe that 'local time' meant that there was a time zone for every minute of longitude?!

Anyway, really wondering what I'm going to read next... something by Robin Hobb, probably...

Game of thrones books. Should be good. It's boring atm, although I've only read the prologue and about 14 pages through though.

Why is captcha asking me to describe subway?

Currently reading:

- Lord of Chaos, book 6 of the Wheel of Time series.
- Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett.
- Volume 2 of Pandora Hearts.

And loving them all.

Cowabungaa:
Currently reading:

- Lord of Chaos, book 6 of the Wheel of Time series.
- Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett.
- Volume 2 of Pandora Hearts.

And loving them all.

Hey, I'm currently on Shadow Rising, doing a reread so it will be fresh for when the final book comes out next year.

I'm also reading Poirot's Early Cases.

Last Chance To See- Douglas Addams goes around the world for the BBC with a naturalist friend and describes animals that are very near extinction. It's excellent, hilarious, informative, and thoughtful.

I just finished American Gods which was excellent.
I'm currently speeding through A Game Of Thrones which is fan-fucking-incredible. I cannot put it down.
Next I'll probably be reading A Clash Of Kings although I've got a few Discworld books to be cracking on with and I want to read the Leviathan Wakes series.

I also read way more comic books than I do novels so my novel reading is always second on my reading priority list.

Just Finished Ubik by Phillip K dick and im now reading Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

I've got The End of Faith and Atlas Shrugged sat on my stereo speaker, I just can't decide which to start.

Just finished Jurassic Park (I thought it was time I got to it), now I've just started Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks. The Culture series got recommended to me by a friend, so why not, eh?

After that, I think I'll re-read the Revelation Space trilogy by Alastair Reynolds. Those are some amazing books.

Right now im reading Shadows of the empire. Mainly just to kill time before the next dark tower book (Wind therw the keyhole) comes out.

Big fan of Issac Asimov, already read Starfall, End of Eternity, and Foundation series. Almost through his Robot series.

Kevin Anderson's Saga of the Seven Suns was also enjoyable. It has aliens that live in both gas giants and stars! How could it not be entertaining.

My current books are The Republic by Plato (SLOWLY coming along, rather dull book) The Aeneid by Vergil (love greek/roman culture) Ron Paul's Liberty Defined: 50 Essential Issues that Affect Our Freedom, and re-reading The Count of Monte Cristo By Alexandar Dumas, my all time favorite book. (the man gets some SERIOUS revenge!)

..I tend to jump around what I am reading. I should focus on one bok at a time more, but I start to wonder about the other books to the point where I can't pay attention to what I am currently reading.

Jimmy Stewart A Biography. Starred in Mr.Smith goes to Washington which I only recently saw and he did a phenomenal job so I'm pretty interested in him now.

I'm halfway through Joe Abercrombie's Last Argument of Kings, third book in The First Law trilogy. Loving it so far. Next up: A couple of H.P. Lovecraft collections (Eldritch Tales and Necronomicon, from Gollancz) and the Complete Chronicles of Conan The Barbarian, also from Gollancz.
After that, I'll probably read The Black Company by Glen Cook, and then likely Asimov's Foundation.

A lot of good reading coming up, that's for sure.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked