48.9% (219)
48.9% (219)
fuck your country and i hope you burn in hell
8% (36)
8% (36)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: What do other country think of america

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I'm from the USA and I love my county. But sadly out government no longer fights for us its all about big mega corporations, oh and not to mention my congress now trying to take our rights away. I am getting the hell out of here as soon as I can. I have always loved British culture so I'm heading there, Not to mention I'm directly related to the York's from the war of the roses, so finding out more about my family history is important to me.

Time to get off the sinking ship

Regnes:
Well here in Canada we don't really hate Americans, even if we do consider them to be an inferior culture in general.

And why is that exactly?

A lot of us do take issue with America's portrayal of WW2 though, how they ignore every other country's contributions and even take credit for famous battles they didn't win. Also quite rich when you consider most of the world still looks down upon America for joining the war two years late.

Even more hilarious because historically the British commander Montgomery was the one disliked for hogging the spotlight. Also speaking as someone who just passed through the rectum of public education (lol) every combatant in the war was mentioned. Even the extremely small amount of non german/italian/japanese axis forces. We only take the spotlight for the pacific theater; Where it was around 95% U.S. 3% Austrailian 2% British with scant forces from France and the Dutch.

We tended to focus on America's contributions, but we're in America. Did you learn more about George Patton or Henry Crerar? Yes I do know who that was. :D

About joing the war late... Well at that point we wanted to stay the hell out of everyone's business. (Hilariously large amount of irony)

You're alright in my eyes. I think the problem with a lot of this perceived hatred is that people take something like your government or aspects of your culture and use it judge you entirely, which is just stupid (like how everything about my country of Australia is dropped in favour of upholding the stereotype that our wildlife wants you dead). I can no less judge America than I can collectively judge a race.

Besides, most of the criticism I see regarding the US comes from proud Americans, which brings to mind this quote I've never forgotten from James Arthur Baldwin.

My biggest problem is the American (and this is a generalisation) assumption that their way of life is the best and everyone else should have the same economic system, governance system, cultural content, and cultural values as America.

However, I deeply admire the vision and principals that the nation was founded on. The world could be revolutionised if any country, especially the United States, had the guts to actually try it.

I'm from the U.S. and I don't mind how everyone thinks that we're just a bunch of redneck idiots. Since I live in the U.S. I know that only MOST of us are redneck retards. Truth be told, I'd rather be Irish but I'm proud to be who I am. I don't really hate other countries but I do hate people who hate us without reason. I know a few British people who stayed in the U.S. and they thought that it was a pretty decent place. Although I do hate most people here for giving us a bad name. So if you stay here, try to stay as far away from the inner states as you possibly can. That is where the stereotypes come to life.

While I admit that there are plenty of faults with this country that need to be fixed, I don't hate this country because of my freedoms and hos hard my father worked to come here and start a family. What I don't get is why other countries turn down their noses at this place and mostly look the other way at their own country's faults. Americans are not the worst people in the world, history has proved time and again that people everywhere are capable of truly terrible things, heck, the U.S. wasn't even the biggest slave holder, the Arabs had control over that before the Europeans stepped in and turned it into a business.
Political backstabbing and poor leadership - Nazi Germany and Stalin's Russia anybody?
While we're at it, even parts of India undertake child marriage and parts of Africa are more war torn than any other place on the planet. - I understand this is all common knowledge by now.
The point is, the people of the world need to fix their own mistakes and that of their country's before they can point fingers.

when i was younger an old cow used to come to England and rent the house next to my grandparents, I hated her and I think that i just got the impression that most Americans are fat, homophobic, morons but I learned that was just a minority.

Charge em to be born, charge em for their education, charge em to fill out tax forms, charge them the actual taxes, charge them for the license needed to get a gun license, charge em for the gun license, charge em for the gun, charge em when they shoot each other, charge em to get their bullet holes patched up, charge em for dying.

I'm sure it's a good system.

OT: In all seriousness I love americans and the physical country itself, but like many countries an awful lot of things are fucked up.

Sounds like a lot of people are generally okay with individual US Americans, but skeptical of their government. Which is cool, because that seems how most of us feel in the US.

I honestly see my country as a ticking time bomb. It started with some beautiful ideas, and as is usually the case in history, power got accumulated by a small few. Now we have a country politically split over the direction we should be moving in (but that seems to be careening toward the same destination regardless) and completely inept politicians who can't or won't do anything to correct it.

I've got a question for the rest of you though. Are you aware of how much religion rules our politics? From what I understand, in most first world countries religion isn't a factor. How odd does that seem to you that in the US we still have arguments about God in the political theater?

Luca72:
I've got a question for the rest of you though. Are you aware of how much religion rules our politics? From what I understand, in most first world countries religion isn't a factor. How odd does that seem to you that in the US we still have arguments about God in the political theater?

I've heard it is a big factor but have no idea what it is actually like. It doesn't seem "odd" exactly, I understand that people who are religious are going to do what they believe their religion calls for. For me it's just a case of "glad that doesn't happen over here".

UK is the opposite. For example the Labour party basically hid the fact that Tony Blair was a Christian as it was shown that the public didn't see that as a good thing, "we don't do god" as Alistair Campbell once said. It was only in his second term when he started getting unpopular that the fact that he was religious became widely known, the UK and most of Europe are very secular although the church does have some power in the House of Lords and Italy. Also on a related note he converted to Catholicism after he left office as it is still illegal for a Catholic to hold the position of PM.

I wouldn't say you are all idiots, just the South and some of the North.

There are of course exceptions to everyone in the South being dumb but well... ya.

I hate the all people, just the stupid, ignorant, bigots. *cough* *republicans!*

Eh, I don't really see any difference between Americans and the rest of the world. I find that the people who rag on them for having no concept of global geography (because we all know if the Chasers did a piece on it then it must be true) don't have any concept of global geography themselves.

Well my opinion of america is already stated as the highest option chosen in the pole. I know not all americans are idiots but by golly there are quite a bit who are.

I voted for "ok" since I don't hate americans, but I really don't like em' either.

I love canadians though.

TomLikesGuitar:
I think it's funny when the naive nationalists hate on other countries than theirs. I've been around the world, and while I favor my home of South Africa, I love America.

People are the same.

Your awesome, thanks for being so rational.

From my experience, no ones seems to hate us Americans more than other Americans, which is odd when you consider how self-righteous we tend to think other countries think Americans are.

ImmortalDrifter:
We only take the spotlight for the pacific theater; Where it was around 95% U.S. 3% Austrailian 2% British with scant forces from France and the Dutch.

You forget the Chinese, there were about 5 million of them.

I should also mention that most of the "America hatred" was due to Bush Jnr. era politics. 3 years into the Obama administration and it has all calmed down a lot.

I had a feeling that I would regret reading this thread. You know some of us don't give two fucks about politics and just want to get on with our lives. No I'm not trying to kiss up to you, I really don't care about politics, mainly because my life under bush and my life under Obama has pretty much been the same. I admire what other countries did in WWII (espically the polish) and I'll be the first to admit that we're spoiled when it comes to war.. BUT! Don't expect me to just nod my head and say "yup everything about America sucks". People say we're too divided, yeah outside of America all politicians say please and thank you, always agree and cuddle under the sun, once you cross the Atlantic it's paradise. I would like to think that the fact that Americans and non Americans can get along just fine on these forums would be a sign that nationality doesn't matter but nooooooooooo, we have to keep coming back to which flag you live under and classify you under that. Would what I say on this website matter if I was British? Polish? Russian? Japanese? The day we put such petty things behind us and look at one another for who we are and what we do instead of which country we live in is the day we move forward as a species. "whew". Sorry about that, you can only have your country and your nationality insulted so many times before you snap. I admit that America is flawed, but point out a country that is perfect. People that get haughty just anger me is all, other countries aren't below America, but they sure as fuck aren't above us.

I think Australia's main problem with America is that our Government does what ever America's tell them to. Personally, I don't like America's World Police attitude and the fact that someone like Rick Santorum can run for president and have support! Really? The country that supposedly fights for freedom could have a guy like that for president? I will say though that you guys have awesome theme parks and rediculously cheap food with large sizes. Plus you have Vegas.

Evil Smurf:
I hate the all people, just the stupid, ignorant, bigots. *cough* *republicans!*

See, I've got a couple of friends who are Republican, and they're nice people I can have a rational conversation with. I don't agree with some of their political views. And they aren't far-right-wing Republicans. They seem to be somewhere near the middle of the spectrum. I will agree that an awful lot of the party seem to be pretty scarily right wing though.

erttheking:
Sorry about that, you can only have your country and your nationality insulted so many times before you snap. I admit that America is flawed, but point out a country that is perfect. People that get haughty just anger me is all, other countries aren't below America, but they sure as fuck aren't above us.

Eh, it can be a bit taxing to hear others' views.

Then again, from my travels most people in other countries have some basic misconceptions. You take a country like, say, France - and try to explain how it's basically the same size as Texas. Yup, one very large European country is about the same size as the second largest US State, and that the United States is about 14x the size of France.

The entire EU is about half the size of the USA. So, for Europeans, talking about the citizens of the United States and how wacky the politics are is basically asking:

"Imagine that the European Union had twice as many countries, and none of them could be removed if their economy turned to shit."

So, yeah, states are closer to countries in Europe - and as far as that metaphor goes, most States have a pretty homogenous population and pretty similar opinions within the states themselves.

In general, individuals and small groups are nice regardless of where they are.

My personal opinion is that the USA should just let (or FORCE) the South to secede. It wanted to 150 years ago, and it's dragging the rest of the country into its pit of despair. The poorest states are in the South, and the most political wackos come from the South. They can have their Theocracy, and the North could have a government that's not deadlocked for 90% of the year.

Mortai Gravesend:

TheOmenCorpse:

Mortai Gravesend:

It seems so much easier to call those the Americas, and I'm pretty sure that's how it's usually done.

Call it a pet peeve, but I always think it implies a level of arrogance you do not see in other countries.

How many other countries have a name that can really only easily be shortened to part of the name of the continent? I'm not sure how I'm arrogant for having no better word to call myself.

It doesn't imply arrogance, it's just the easiest abbreviation. I'm Canadian, we're on the North American continent too, but we call people from the U.S.A. Americans, we call the country America, that's just how we think of it, and not in a sense that they're the arrogant masters of the continent - they're just called Americans. It doesn't make them seem superior - I don't think of them that way.

OT: As to what I think of America... well, right now, what leaps foremost to my mind is that, as a country, it's politically insane - socially in particular, but also economically - seriously, it scares me to think that some people can honestly hold some of the beliefs being bandied about in such large numbers as to make them viable voting blocs. Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone, and like any place you can find plenty of lovely people. Historically it's a mixed bag - the way it's treated your native population is a far sight worse than Canada, there's the whole slavery thing, but the political example it set was far ahead of its time, and it really broke major ground in developing the modern western liberal democracy and demonstrating its viability. Culturally you tend to drown out other stuff a little, but there's enough good stuff there that it's not a huge deal.

SciMal:
My personal opinion is that the USA should just let (or FORCE) the South to secede. It wanted to 150 years ago, and it's dragging the rest of the country into its pit of despair. The poorest states are in the South, and the most political wackos come from the South. They can have their Theocracy, and the North could have a government that's not deadlocked for 90% of the year.

The problem is that then you have a theocracy full of pushy political wackos with lots of guns and no government to restrain them on your border. And depending on how their laws get written, there's very little to stop them going into Manifest Destiny mode and starting a civil war anyways. Not to mention that it's not fair to the people who live there who are would be disenfranchised by the social regulations that would be put in place. Personally, I think aggressive education reform is the best solution. While you're at it, take a vorpal sword to the jabberwocky that is Fox News

Some of you are fine.
Some of you are idiots.
Same as most other countries.
I hate the attitude some display towards a lot of things, but there are others who display the opposite attitude.

I've run into both nice Americans who I have no problem with, and some stupid, arrogant and rude Americans, who I have many problems with. From personal experience I run into more of the latter group, and that latter group tends to be worse than, say, a stupid, arrogant and rude British person, but that doesn't necessarily reflect the whole country.

So, out of the options:
-You are different from us. Different culture, different views on things - to claim that you are the same would be to ignore that so no.
-You're ok. Some of you are anyway.
-You're idiots. Some of you are anyway.
-I'd rather not engage in intercourse with a large, solid landmass, and it burning would be a waste of resources. As for the people of the USA, I try to make it a habit not to wish any ill will upon others. Some that I've met from the US really need to get a Darwin award sometime soon however, though others are completely fine.

Americans online = idiots
Americans IRL = Normal People

But this generally extends to everyone but sweds and swiss peoples.

Well you're one of the leading superpowers so you're good to have around.
The thing that I think mainly (at least in Scandinavia) people are often thinking is that you guys are pretty ignorant when it comes to other countries. I have heard that you study other countries very little, while I understand that with the size of your own and all the history you'd have to know you study USA a lot. As I said this is stuff I've heard not based on facts.
But there comes a lot of stuff both good and bad out of a country your size, I won't say you're all screwed dickheads who should be shot but I don't have A USA flag either and some things in your country could be changed (like in my country too).

I am stuck between you are ok and you are idiots. The many individuals in the states are all right but both the government, culture (seems quite narcissistic), and a small but vocal and to some extent, powerful group of right wing extreme nationalists. But all nations have a few of those.

ToTaL LoLiGe:
...some food ideas are hilarious I like it seriously spreadable marshmallow

Wait, wait. We have what?! I've never heard of that until now... Lets see what Google has to- Oh god. Why. Why would anyone ever want to spread a marshmallow on anything? Only one of my countrymen could dream this up. Who thinks, "You know what the world needs? A way to spread congealed sugar on stuff without having to heat a marshmallow."

Sorry if this seems melodramatic, but that blows my mind.

As an American, I'm rather disappointed in my home country. As someone who thinks bullies should be vilified, it's hard witnessing the things my government does and understanding where some of the hate that other countries throw our way comes from. That being said, some of the vitriol that gets spewed about my country is just terrible. It baffles me that people will use a ridiculous stereotype to judge every single person in the States.

no offence to you, I'm sure there are many exceptions to this, but as a majority I think Americans are stupid

overpuce:
I'm a US American and it seems that there are fellow US Americans that hate us just as much as the perceived hatred coming from other countries. Honestly, we're a country that makes mistakes and I don't think there's a country out there that has never made a mistake.

overpuce:
I'm a US American and it seems that there are fellow US Americans that hate us just as much as the perceived hatred coming from other countries. Honestly, we're a country that makes mistakes and I don't think there's a country out there that has never made a mistake.

The main difference, really, is that most countries learn from their mistakes. I respect Germany much more for the genocide they commited during WW2 than America because the germans stopped doing that shit.
America commited genocide during WW2 (A large part of the Nuremburg trials defense, for instance, was that America's arrogant moral superiority was completely undermined by the fact that almost everything the National Socialist regime did, right up until the formation of death camps at the end of the war, was basically a direct mirroring of horrific human rights violations that had been going completely unchalleneged in The States), and we still act completely superior to everyone else for it for little reason other than because nobody's kicked our asses for it.

That's why I dislike America: Since the moment we became a world power, we've been actively and indirectly taking part in the massacre of peoples all across the world, but absolutely refuse to give a shit in the slightest because they're not Americans. As it's said, the death of a 23 year old from Iowa gets more airtime in The States than the death of 50,000 people he died to protect.

Oh hey, I found the video I wanted. Here's why I dislike the US in a nutshell:

SciMal:
[quote="erttheking" post="18.371614.14363446"]

Erm, I have to intervene here and say a few things.

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0728.pdf
Census info showing the south with some of the lowest cost of living (which shows proof of financial stability).

Also, this info shows how the poverty rates in the census can be skewed. Why?
http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/poverty/about/overview/measure.html
Poverty levels do not vary geographically.

Sorry, I just take offense to that statement when the south has a great economy, providing many many raw materials and food, and who put the love of America in their children, MANY of who give their lives for the country.

Sorry once again for the tangent.

OT: Well, im an American. So... I like us? Well, most of us.

Voted "no differant to us". Every country has its share of crazy and stupid.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked