So Bronies, your thoughts on MLP:FiM season 2.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Idlemessiah:
But the best thing is, since Discord wasn't the bad guy in the finale, that means we get him back next season! Discoooooord!!!!

Has Discord's return been confirmed, then? I know de Lancie did some more voice work, but that doesn't necessarily have to be for the same character.

Oh, new page! User group link time! I'm so glad to have another decent pony thread at last.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/MLP-Friendship-is-Magic
I recommend that anyone who watches the show uncheck "Chat Notifications" when it prompts you as the group chat tends to be quite active.

Daystar Clarion:
I thought it was the poniest pony that ever ponied a pony.

I don't watch MLP but I imagine my statement is eerily accurate.

Daystar, it's MLP not the Smurfs.

You know I know you know I know you know I was thinking so because you know I know you know better. ;)

Remember Smurfs are all blue, and them ponies rock the whole light spectrum.

Imp Emissary:

Daystar Clarion:

What do SPESS MEHRENS have to do with anything?

Loop Stricken:

Imp was just pointing out that FiM's writing is far superior to that of the Ultramarines. A valid comparison, I'd say, if a bit of a non-sequiter.

Aidinthel:

Loop Stricken:

Imp was just pointing out that FiM's writing is far superior to that of the Ultramarines. A valid comparison, I'd say, if a bit of a non-sequiter.

I have in my hand two printouts I got from the JobCentre.
They are literary works of genius compared to the tripe that gets written about the goddamn Ultramarines.

Aidinthel:

Idlemessiah:
But the best thing is, since Discord wasn't the bad guy in the finale, that means we get him back next season! Discoooooord!!!!

Has Discord's return been confirmed, then? I know de Lancie did some more voice work, but that doesn't necessarily have to be for the same character.

Well in two interviews now he's confirmed that he's done v.a. work. He refused to comment any more but I don't think they'd use somebody with such a distincive style for two different characters. Unless it's like Discord's uncle or something.

Idlemessiah:
Well in two interviews now he's confirmed that he's done v.a. work. He refused to comment any more but I don't think they'd use somebody with such a distincive style for two different characters. Unless it's like Discord's uncle or something.

Granted, but I prefer to take the Yahtztee approach to things like this. If Discord is back, that's awesome! But if he isn't I'll have kept my expectations from getting too high and won't be very disappointed.

Loop Stricken:

Imp Emissary:

Daystar Clarion:

Aidinthel:

Loop Stricken:

Actually, I was just making a little joke about how Daystar used the word pony the same way Smurfs use the word.....Smurf.

Though, I do like MLP's writing more than the Smurfs.

Ah. Context......You rotten bitch.

Imp Emissary:
Actually, I was just making a little joke about how Daystar used the word pony the same way Smurfs use the word.....Smurf.

Right, we got it. We were joking around. You know, for humor purposes.

I personally think that Season 2 was an overall improvement over season one. I mean, sure while they didn't really change their direction much between seasons, they were more aware of who actually was watching the show by season 2, and I feel like that prompted them to increase the general quality a bit. Like, I feel the animation and various minor things like that were improved slightly between seasons.

Sure I'll also admit that there were episodes that weren't as strong as others, like "Mysterious Mare-do-well", but season one had a few of those as well, like "Over a barrel" and the Spike episode. However, I think the songs were a great improvement in season 2, not that I have anything against winter wrap up and such, but I'm pretty sure Daniel was having lots of fun making songs like "Smile, Smile, Smile" and The Flim Flam Brothers' song now that he knew other people like him would be listening to them. And while episodes like "the Cutie Mark Chronicles" are awesome, In season 2, we got to watch two-parters, Luna returning, Twilight going crazy on 2 separate occasions, one of which involved time travel, and a parody of Murder on the Orient Express that included no less that 7 different shout-outs to various movie cliches.

Maybe I have some sort of reverse nostalgia with the season since it was more recent and fresh in my mind, but I honestly think that the crew learning what was really happening with the show, and managing to keep up Lauren's ideals really made it stronger. Plus there was a lot more Continuity this season than the last. I remember seeing a lot of fan theories over the summer about where each episode fell in chronological order. However, for example in "Read it and Weep" Rainbow Dash learns she likes books, and in the next episode she's seen reading in the library with Twilight.

Maybe over the summer I'll hold a party or something and watch 18 hours of Pony and I'll make my final decision then.

The villain from the finale was actually a succubus in disguise as the Queen of Flies.

I thought season 2 was amazing and an improvement from season 1.

Also, a new theory has come to light:

And just saying, Hurricane Fluttershy was the best episode.

Eomega123:

kiwi_poo:
It had its highs and lows. Overall, not as good as Season 1, but some episodes were brilliant.

Though I never really got where the Changelings came from. Was there previous mention of them, or did they (writers) pull them (Changelings) out of their (writers') asses?

The changelings have always been there. Look in the background. Those Colgate duplicates? They're changelings. An extra Lyra? She's a changeling. Bon Bon showing up somewhere she shouldn't be? Changeling. Why do you think they were able to launch an attack on Equestria's capital without anypony else noticing? They have a vast network of informants and sleeper agents, an entire army hiding right under Celestia's nose. There are no continuity errors in MLP:FIM, no animation glitches, no lazy animators. Every mistake we thought we caught was just a changeling being careless. But they're not gone, and they will strike again, and we'll never see it coming.

That's some grade-A fridge brilliance right there. I'll never look at those crowd shots the same way again.

Personally, I enjoyed season 2 far more. Season 1 had its moments, but I felt season 2 was consistently better (though it had a few lackluster episodes to be sure). My favorite moments were the following:

-Anything involving Discord. Making him the "Q" of Equestria in action and voice was a stroke of brilliance. He's quickly become one of my favorite villains.

-Twilight in "Lesson Zero." And people thought Pinkie Pie's breakdown in "Party of One" was disturbing...

-"Family Appreciation Day." "Respect the elderly" is a lesson that isn't taught nearly enough in a society obsessed with youth and good looks over age and wisdom.

-Derpy Hooves' big scene in "The Last Roundup." It was the ultimate shout-out to fans like myself who have a soft spot for the cross-eyed pegasus. I was giddy for hours afterwards (shame about the controversy and backlash that followed it, though).

-The finale. I never thought I'd see the "mane" six lay the smack-down on an army of buglike changlings (also another brony shout-out by revealing DJ PON-3's eye color).

-The music. There were all sorts of awesome songs that gave the musical numbers from season 1 a serious run for their money. My personal favorite is the Flim Flam brothers' number.

I enjoyed season 2, it had a lot of good episodes. I couldn't name my favourite one though. Some of my favourites are; Lesson Zero, It's About time, MMMystery on the Friendship Express, Read it and Weep and the finale.

I'll care once my ideas* are used. And when the theme song is removed. >:(

*An undead necromancer, HUMANS, Celestia doing evil stuff, a mostly-shapeless blob of hate itself, the name "Ditzy Doo", that sort of stuff.

Aidinthel:

Idlemessiah:

Granted, but I prefer to take the Yahtztee approach to things like this. If Discord is back, that's awesome! But if he isn't I'll have kept my expectations from getting too high and won't be very disappointed.

You know thats probably the best way of looking at it. In any case we still get more John deLancie. *party cannon*

Aidinthel:

Idlemessiah:

discord is 100% CONFIRMED to make a return, it's no longer speculation.

john de lancie said it himself during a Q&A at a star trek convention. here's the proof http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IxeReTsF2vY

Neverhoodian:
(also another brony shout-out by revealing DJ PON-3's eye color).

INCORRECTLYGARBL

Dtox333:
discord is 100% CONFIRMED to make a return, it's no longer speculation.

john de lancie said it himself during a Q&A at a star trek convention. here's the proof http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IxeReTsF2vY

If that's the same interview I watched earlier I don't think he ever outright stated he did more Discord work. It kinda seemed that he was intentionally dancing around the issue. An NDA, maybe? Anyway, I just prefer to err on the side of caution is all.

Aidinthel:

Imp Emissary:

Right, we got it. We were joking around. You know, for humor purposes.

......Sorry what? Got distracted by the awesome gator. Best pet of the show, in my opinion. Unless you count Spike as a pet.

Oh, I almost forgot about the topic here. Season 2? Pretty good, as usual.

Imp Emissary:
.....Sorry what? Got distracted by the awesome gator. Best pet of the show, in my opinion.

I don't blame you. Not only are you right about Gummy being the best, but this .gif is pretty awesome. My old avatar was just a plain image of Gummy in his tuxedo, and then Drop_D-Bombshell randomly sent me this. And then resized it twice because I didn't have PubClub back then and it was too big. That was a good day.

I loved season 2, and season 1 as well. I will admit that s2 did have my least favorite eps (Mysterious Mare-do-Well, Putting Your Hoof Down), but it made up for it with great ones as well. I particularly liked Hurricane Fluttershy.
I'm almost always happy after watching ponies.

Neverhoodian:

Eomega123:
[quote="kiwi_poo" post="18.372178.14372123"]Though I never really got where the Changelings came from. Was there previous mention of them, or did they (writers) pull them (Changelings) out of their (writers') asses?

The changelings have always been there. Look in the background. Those Colgate duplicates? They're changelings. An extra Lyra? She's a changeling. Bon Bon showing up somewhere she shouldn't be? Changeling. Why do you think they were able to launch an attack on Equestria's capital without anypony else noticing? They have a vast network of informants and sleeper agents, an entire army hiding right under Celestia's nose. There are no continuity errors in MLP:FIM, no animation glitches, no lazy animators. Every mistake we thought we caught was just a changeling being careless. But they're not gone, and they will strike again, and we'll never see it coming.

It's more than that. You know how Pinkie can appear in 3+ places at once? How she can apparently use magic and ignore gravity despite being an earth pony? How if you run from her she's already at your destination, regardless of your speed? How she's driven to make friends with everypony and when she thinks she's lost her best friends she gets all grey and droopy? How she's completely different from the rest of the Pie family? How she doesn't seem to have anything resembling a normal digestive system? Even in the fight at the wedding, when she says "I've seen better" to a changeling that did her.
Pinkie Pie is actually a half-dozen changelings, feeding on the whole town's love for them. It explains everything.

penguindude42:

*An undead necromancer, HUMANS, Celestia doing evil stuff, a mostly-shapeless blob of hate itself, the name "Ditzy Doo", that sort of stuff.

You know that Jayson Thiessen has said in interview that there will never be humans in Equestria, right? Sorry...

Suncatcher:

Neverhoodian:

Eomega123:
[quote="kiwi_poo" post="18.372178.14372123"]Though I never really got where the Changelings came from. Was there previous mention of them, or did they (writers) pull them (Changelings) out of their (writers') asses?

It's more than that. You know how Pinkie can appear in 3+ places at once? How she can apparently use magic and ignore gravity despite being an earth pony? How if you run from her she's already at your destination, regardless of your speed? How she's driven to make friends with everypony and when she thinks she's lost her best friends she gets all grey and droopy? How she's completely different from the rest of the Pie family? How she doesn't seem to have anything resembling a normal digestive system? Even in the fight at the wedding, when she says "I've seen better" to a changeling that did her.
Pinkie Pie is actually a half-dozen changelings, feeding on the whole town's love for them. It explains everything.

Anyways...yeah.. Not sure what to say after that. At all.

OT: I can't wait for S3. It gonna be awesome since it been reported that Discord is coming back. WOOO!

Suncatcher:

penguindude42:

You know that Jayson Thiessen has said in interview that there will never be humans in Equestria, right? Sorry...

I for one don't understand why anyone would want humans to appear in the show. Maybe I'm just hopelessly cynical, but I don't think my suspension of disbelief would extend to humans acting as, well, as good as the ponies do. And if they weren't as good, then I don't see what point they would serve other than to make negative commentary on human nature, which I get quite enough of from my other entertainment (and real life, for that matter).

That Final song was amazing. I have to wonder though, would I/we even like it if it was under a different context, Say at the end of a Wizards of Waverly Place movie. Disney-esqu that song also is yes, but is it the good Disney?

Tucker154:
Season 2 I think was very good. It focused more on the relationship between characters more than the characters themselves better than season 1, the animation was (obviously) better, and well...

Yeah Chryalis was a great villain. Creepy look, creepy voice, She planned things out. And hell in her song even says 'i'm gonna keep him for funnsies.' Speaking of that song...it is perfectly put together. The switch ups between Evil Cadence and Real Cadence. The Expressions on both their faces, the musical change up's just a great song that I can't get out of my head.

Also they never said the Changelings are done they got flung all over the place. I don't think we've seen the last of them.

Seanfall:
Also they never said the Changelings are done they got flung all over the place. I don't think we've seen the last of them.

I hope not, but considering the show's format I wouldn't be surprised if they were just never mentioned again. Look at what happened to Luna, and she's a critical part of the setting.

Aidinthel:

Seanfall:

I hope not, but considering the show's format I wouldn't be surprised if they were just never mentioned again. Look at what happened to Luna, and she's a critical part of the setting.

Good point. If they don't it would be a waste of a ready made villain/plot. Changelings start popping around Ponyville and other places sowing...DISCORD! which awakens the being from slumber AGAIN. And Da Da Da! another war only this time Discord just makes the elements disappear halfway round the world. (cause I'm assuming he can't destroy them.) And restarts his chaos empire. With the Changelings helping out for some reason i'm not smart enough to come up with.

I don't know if I could be considered a brony. So I hope you don't mind.

Found it dreadful. I noticed straight away the writing had changed, mainly how the story's were written and the characters altogether. Straight into unlikable morons that were more annoying than funny, like the latest Family Guy.

Nice villain, good story, would have liked it if there was a bit more reliability on the part of the Equestrian army, seemed kinda weird to me in the middle of an invasion all the guards suddenly disappeared. When the mane cast were cornered by all those changelings I was kinda hoping for a crowning moment of awesome where all the guards pop out and engage the changelings in an epic pg-13 battle to allow Twilight and her friends to escape, but meh, small disappointment.

I am now secretly waiting for the inevitably influx of Queen Chrysalis x Discord.

*posts*

...wait crap. IGNORE THAT LAST BIT!

I love how the anti bronies complain about 1 pony thread being started, then decide to try and spam and flood it with annoying posts. But I guess people who watch this show are less prone to hypocritical behaviour than those who decide to judge it without watching it and think they can derail a thread like this in one unfunny post.

You should probably watch the show, you'd learn a lot from it. Then again, the show is designed to be unenjoyable to trolls and attention whores which is probably why we have such an awesome fanbase (annoying ones aside, who are like 1/10 as annoying as the average anti brony. I mean when was the last time we went into your threads and tried to derail them with pony?).

But keep it up, you make the rest of us look much better by comparison. And if you derail this thread by flooding (good luck on that) we can always show you what a real pony flood is like...

Anyway overall I liked this season, but from the second half onwards I think it was a lot weaker with plots and charactisation. Still a great show. Finale felt cheesy and out of place, but eh maybes its just because I grew up with all the Disney movies

Seanfall:

Tucker154:
Season 2 I think was very good. It focused more on the relationship between characters more than the characters themselves better than season 1, the animation was (obviously) better, and well...

Yeah Chryalis was a great villain. Creepy look, creepy voice, She planned things out. And hell in her song even says 'i'm gonna keep him for funnsies.' Speaking of that song...it is perfectly put together. The switch ups between Evil Cadence and Real Cadence. The Expressions on both their faces, the musical change up's just a great song that I can't get out of my head.

While I would love to see them again, I doubt we will hear from the changelings, again aside from a couple of mentions, do to the fact that the series tends to be more slice of life than adventure. Maybe we'll see the changelings in another special, but I doubt that we would, as I think they will probably come up with another villain instead of recycling them.

BlazeRaider:
Nice villain, good story, would have liked it if there was a bit more reliability on the part of the Equestrian army, seemed kinda weird to me in the middle of an invasion all the guards suddenly disappeared.

Yeah, they looked pretty cool at the beginning marching around win formation with their spears (how were they holding those, anyway?), and then they apparently didn't put up any sort of fight at all. In retrospect it may be kind of a bad idea for Canterlot's defenses to depend entirely on one guy.

Oh, new page! User group link time!
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/MLP-Friendship-is-Magic
I recommend that anyone who watches the show uncheck "Chat Notifications" when it prompts you as the group chat tends to be quite active.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked