I need some types

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Yknow in a videogame you have
fire
water
earth
blah di blah di blah

Can you suggest a different typ or just a different one?

Heart?

ICE!

Pelvis?

Mydogisblue:
Heart?

I second this, heart is the best power.
I mean using it you could.... uh
uh... Politely ask the enemy to stop beating your ass?

EDIT: Just looked at my avatar and slapped myself for not realizing the two best elements

Giant Robots and GAR!

edit

Batman. Batman is the ultimate type.

hulksmashley:
I've personally always wanted to see a show/book/comic where there is a super hero for every element on the table of elements. So theres a guy who can control cobalt, a guy who controls hydrogen, a guy who controls uranium etc.

I think it'd be awesome.

what about the poor buggers who get the Lanthanides. They're really rare and they're not even radioactive.

PLASMA!
It just rolls of the tongue

blood, dark, light, life, ice, void?

Mydogisblue:
Heart?

Wind! And when our powers combine...

I suppose you could look at the pokemon types, so grass, ice, dark, ghost, electric, dragon etc.

A few ideas:
Sound,
Electricity,
Force,
Light,
Dark,
Air

HEAVY METAL!

Solid Liquid Gas? I'unno.

Cynicism.
Yeah, when they're all going on about how love conquers all, i'm slumped in a corner moaning about how a dagger to the stomach can quickly sort that out.
And that they're all shit.
And I'm awesome.

Well excluding what the over above me had said, there're metal, wood, rock and ground.

Persona also uses: Nuclear, Allmighty and Holy. I'm not sure what you really mean by types, but if it's elements, metal could also work. Or it falls under earth, if you prefer.

EDIT: Neutral? Just to mess with people? And ninja'ed on metal :/.

The_Blue_Rider:

Mydogisblue:
Heart?

I second this, heart is the best power.
I mean using it you could.... uh
uh... Politely ask the enemy to stop beating your ass?

EDIT: Just looked at my avatar and slapped myself for not realizing the two best elements

Giant Robots and GAR!

THERE IS NOTHING MORE MANLY THAN THE POWER OF HEART! YOU BEAT ENEMIES TO DEATH WITH THEIR OWN HEARTS, AND NOBODY WILL EVER FORGET IT!

Aether.
The best element.
Seriously, just read a bit about it. It's bloody fascinating to see the theories about it.

Failing that:
Friendship
Light
Energy
Force (There could potentially be some seriously cool interactions between Energy types and Force types)

hulksmashley:
I've personally always wanted to see a show/book/comic where there is a super hero for every element on the table of elements. So theres a guy who can control cobalt, a guy who controls hydrogen, a guy who controls uranium etc.

I think it'd be awesome.

That would suck so bad for the guy who could control francium or any of the other elements that are so volatile they don't exist in any quantifiable amount.

OT: I can't really think of anything original but how about shadow or poison, those types were always cool in pokemans

Heh. "So and so with the power of Yttrium"

If not, go with magic or something.

kiwi_poo:

Heh. "So and so with the power of Yttrium"

If not, go with magic or something.

I wish I could just post that and be done with it, but some content is necessary to fill out the post...

Does OP only want tangible elements such as fire and earth, or are intangible concepts such as Force, allowed?

...back when I was a teenager and into the whole alchemical breakdown of magic systems thing... I made an elemental chart with 8 elements, each with an opposing element and kindred elements... then I went and made combinations for spell bases, put a lot of work into it, but never took it anywhere. I think I still have that notebook somewhere. Been about 17 years since I thought much about it.

for the curious, lessee if I can make a text chart that turns out right...

air--light--heat
| - - - | - - - |
celestial - | - infernal
| - - - | - - - |
cold--dark--earth

Sort of bastardized from every old fantasy JRPG with a little bit of D&D for seasoning, but I managed to fill a couple of notebooks with applications, combinations and the occasional spell.

Revnak:
Batman. Batman is the ultimate type.

I second this. No matter what the situation, it can be improved by adding Batman to the mix.
Or monkeys; monkeys are a close second.

Explosive, Volatile, Flesh, Bone, Caustic, Archaic, Runic, Molten, Pancakes.

Trying to avoid all the ones in Pokemon here, its tough. Whats this for anyway if you don't mind me asking?

Eggs and Bacon. Or just Bacon.

Or coffee...

I always liked the FF system:

fire - ice (blizzard)
water - lightning (thunder)
earth - wind (aero)
holy - dark (shadow)

Lovecraftian.
Because why not.

Sexy

God knows what that Pokemon would be like

I think you mean elemental powers/forces.

earth + fire = lava
air + earth = dust
air + fire = energy
energy + air = storm
fire + dust = ash
lava + air = stone
fire + stone = metal
water + stone = sand
energy + metal = electricity
water + air = steam
metal + steam = boiler
fire + sand = glass
water + earth = swamp
fire + water = alcohol
swamp + sand = clay
swamp + energy = life
alcohol + water = vodka
water + life = weeds
swamp + life = bacteria
swamp + weeds = moss
earth + moss = grass
swamp + grass = reed
water + bacteria = plankton
life + sand = seeds
life + ash = ghost
life + stone = egg
egg + earth = dinosaur
dinosaur + fire = dragon
air + egg = bird
swamp + moss = fern
clay + life = golem
golem + life = human
human + fire = corpse
human + human = sex
life + corpse = zombie
zombie + corpse = ghoul
human + energy = wizard
wizard + energy = demigod
seed + earth = tree
human + metal = tools
metal + tools = weapons
weapons + man = hunter
hunter + weapons = warrior
warrior + dragon = hero + blood
blood + human = vampire
fire + clay = bricks
tools + reed = paper
bird + hunter = meat + feather + blood
tree + tool = wood
feather + paper = book
swamp + bacteria = worm + sulfur
tree + fire = ash + ash + coal
coal + boiler = steam-engine
human + alcohol = alcoholic
sand + worm = snake
snake + water = fish
water + coal = oil
plankton + fish = whale
snake + tools = poison
poison + weapon = poisoned weapon
poisoned weapon + human = assassin
wood + tool = wheel
earth + tools = field
field + seeds = wheat
wheat + stone = flour
flour + water = dough
dough + fire = bread
bread + alcohol = beer
sand + egg = turtle
swamp + egg = lizard
wood + wheel = cart
cart + steam engine = locomotive
bird + fire = phoenix
lizard + earth = beast
beast + vampire = werewolf
worm + earth = beetle
fire + grass = tobacco
beetle + sand = scorpion
tobacco + paper = cigarette
wood + water = boat
cart + beast = chariot
hunter + beast = meat + wool + blood
human + clay = ceramics
human + stone = hut
stone + plankton = shell
shell + stone = limestone
limestone + clay = cement
tools + wool = fabric
human + beast = domesticated animal
life + tree = treant
weeds + earth = mushroom
water + cement = concrete
concrete + bricks = house
fish + beast = dolphin
wood + boat = ship
oil + cart = car
car + air = airplane
fabric + human = clothes
air + worm = butterfly
100. storm + bird = thunderbird
glass + house = skyscraper
domestic animal + grass = milk + fertilizer
limestone + fertilizer = saltpeter
saltpeter + sulfur = gunpowder
weapon + gunpowder = firearm
ship + fabric = frigate
ship + steam engine = steamship

Fire
Water
Electric
Grass
Ice
Fighting
Poison
Ground
Flying
Psychic
Bug
Rock
Ghost
Dragon
Dark
Steel

Sarcasm. The most powerful ones who wield it's power can make entire armies go home and cry!

Racism,
Lack of personal hygiene,
Beatnik,
Procrastination,
Grammar Nazi,
Curtain hooks.

Depends on the game. If you need five, you can go with the eastern elements - water, fire, air, wood, metal. That give you nice established elements (as fire isn't one. It's a chemical reaction. The things made of fire are: fire. Maybe fire elementals, too, if you have them in the game).

If you take a page from the Dresden files, there is the classical Eurapean 5 plus Spirit. And Spirit is sort of catch-all for "energies" - this includes stuff like invisible kinetic force, or creating light, also making something invisible (technically, you could also call that "manipulating light" but it might not be) and so on.

If you want to view the elements as building blocks of the world, you can use the four plus "life" or "blood" or "soul" (or "spirit". Also the eastern "wood" sort of maps here) - something to signify the living. If you take this approach, you would probably want to swap "fire" with "energy". Or preserve the name but change the function.

It really, really depends what you want the elements to show. You can add "void" or "darkness" (or call it "light" and let it control both) or "lightning" or "passion" (yeah..."heart") and each would shift the overall feeling in a different way. Also, it depends on whether you want derived elements or not (water -> ice, maybe temperature, weather). For example, this may determine if the final element is derived or if the current ones were derived from it. Also, another aspect of "what role do they show" is how are the elements set up - are they interconnected? For example, the classical four (or the eastern five) are equal among each other. Because each covers a different niche. So with this in mind, do you want the final one to cover something the others don't (hence "life", for example) or do you want it to be something else ("void" would be the opposite of elements, for example or just sinister stuff. Could be the opposite of life).

If you want an entirely different take on things, then let's take Mage the Awakening for example: using the five Supernal realms - Aether (sort of pure energy. The realm is vaguely heaven), Primal Wild (the flesh and soul of living beings. The name describes the realm), Arcadia (governs the fate and fortune....also time. The realm is of enchanted forests and magical creatures), Stygia (everything dead - extinguished life and just inert materials. Yeah, the realm of the dead) and Pandemonium (in a way it's about the internal perception - the thoughts, emotions and the spacial perception - space and mind. The realm reminds of hell but it could also more of purgatory). There you go - you have five completely different sources of power that are nothing lice the classical 4/5 elements.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked