[Kony 2012] "Cover the night" flops hard

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/apr/21/kony-2012-campaign-uganda-warlord
http://www.vancouversun.com/Kony+2012+campaign+fails+offline+Vancouver/6498106/story.html

The Kony 2012 Cover the Night campaign woke up to awkward questions on Saturday after activists failed to blanket cities with posters of the wanted Ugandan warlord, Joseph Kony.

The movement's phenomenal success in mobilising young people online, following last month's launch of a 29-minute documentary which went viral, flopped in trying to turn that into real world actions.

The campaign aimed to plaster "every city, on every block" around the world with posters, stickers and murals of Kony to pressure governments into hunting down the guerrilla leader, who has waged a brutal, decades-long insurgency in central Africa.

But paltry turnouts on Friday at locations across north America, Europe and Australia left cities largely unplastered and the movement's credibility damaged. "What happened to all the fuss about Kony?" said one typical tweet. "Kony is so last month," said another.

Elissa O'Dell, 24, an activist in Los Angeles, put a brave face on the fact just her and two other volunteers attended the painting of a mural on an auto dealership off Santa Monica Boulevard.

"It's just been us the entire day," she said on Friday. Another campaigner took photographs while an artist painted the mural, which said "Our liberty is bound together".

"The point of Cover the Night is for our community of supporters to give something back, pick up trash, paint schools, some direct, local action," said O'Dell. So, where was everybody? "We didn't expect people here," said O'Dell. Supporters were to place posters in coffeeshops, fire and police stations and other locations. "The response has been terrific. Tomorrow people will wake up and see our posters everywhere."

But on Saturday the boulevard, and according to reports the rest of LA and other cities, were largely free of Kony.

The campaign also tanked on twitter. "Find the silence around #Kony'12 interesting. It's muted embarrassment from prior supporters, mixed with quiet smugness from detractors," said one tweet.

Well looks like the ship finally officially sank. Th cover the night event failed, as it failed to gain much more than a few supporters. It was so bad a couple protests only managed to gain around 50 people.

So what do you think? Is this a good or bad thing?

Personally, I find this a victory. It shows there is hope for the greater populace, that emotional fervor has almost no staying power if there is valid criticism. Still, its sad that money didn't go a worthwhile charity instead.

Apparently it was absolutely brutal in Sydney. Out of an originally planned 18,000+ people, only around 25 showed up.

This all more or less proves that the majority of the Kony "campaign" was a temporary fad, whether the original video makers were genuine or not.

Partly it was because of an Internet fad but also I think people started to do some research on this and realized. "Hey. Maybe there is more to that video than we first thought." Yes people are idiots, but at some point everyone is, and they started to educate themselves on what was going on. They learned that Kony was not as a big a threat as made to be at first and that the group that made the video may have had a hidden agenda. Then they realized that things had already been set in motion for years to get Kony.

So yeah a mix of an Internet fad and education on the topic killed Kony12.

And ladies and gentlemen...a fad. I hope it was more because of education though.

Guess the guy who made the documentary looks like a jackass with his dick in his hand...

In all seriousness I think this has showed a few people that didn't already know that talk is cheap. Maybe if Kony was still active more people would have showed up.

I knew that this was going to happen

Here in Melbourne it was a massive flop.

I saw about 3 posters all day. It was very amusing seeing it crash and burn.

"Put posters up ... outside?"

"But that would mean leaving Facebook ..... NOOOOOoooooooo".

...This is still a thing? Huh...

So...who didn't expect this to happen?

This was more of a "click like to catch Kony" slacktavist kinda thing.

I totally forgot it was happening and happened. Wow that fad died fast.

I wonder which had the greater influence, Kony already being defeated or the slacktivist leader running around jerking off in public.

Samurai Silhouette:
This was more of a "click like to catch Kony" slacktavist kinda thing.

I'll have to remember that word, thanks xD. 'slacktavist' heh.

It's hard to tell whether this was due to the people of Uganda explicitly stating that Kony is not the country's biggest problem and all this attention doesn't help things at all, or due to kids not caring anymore as soon as the effort takes more than clicking a like button. Probably a mix of both.

And I wouldn't describe how I (a so-called "detractor") feel about this muted response "satisfaction." It's hard to be satisfied about the failure of other people who believe they are doing the right thing, even if they aren't. I'm relieved it's over with, but it must suck to be someone dedicated to the cause of Kony 2012 right now. I feel for them, and hope they can find a more worthy cause to put their effort in to.

I saw a Kony 2012 poster while driving home from the grocery store today, my first and only thought was, "which fruitcake put that up?"

Regnes:
I saw a Kony 2012 poster while driving home from the grocery store today, my first and only thought was, "which fruitcake put that up?"

I thought the same thing when I saw the stupid posters on a few telephone poles up where I work.

Rawne1980:
"Put posters up ... outside?"
"But that would mean leaving Facebook ..... NOOOOOoooooooo".

I think you just wrote the most accurate ever summary of that entire Kony nonsense.

Sorry but I can't help to laugh at the demise. I'm not laughing that Kony is still out there, just that the whole Kony 2012 video had always been a fad and this prove it.
It's ironic that the people who think they were doing a worthy cause by posting that video on their Facebook acoount but when they could of taken part in a real cause they simple couldn't be bother. It pretty much those who really are into the campaign and who wasn't.

I'd hope that this entire thing, the con involving the donations, the eventual non turn out, everything about it teaches people the dangers of false facebook activism. People go around on facebook liking pictures of starving kids whilst never actually doing anything about it, it lets people who do nothing feel that they've done "their part".

People are assholes, this proves it for good. I think that he left too long between the initial release of the video and the Cover the Night event. If it had been, say, a week afterwards, then it might have worked, but a whole month and a half? It was doomed to fail, even without their esteemed leader running around shaking the monkey in public.

Oh, that's why I saw some posters in my street. (I live in Belgium :/)

Jack the Potato:
It's hard to tell whether this was due to the people of Uganda explicitly stating that Kony is not the country's biggest problem and all this attention doesn't help things at all, or due to kids not caring anymore as soon as the effort takes more than clicking a like button. Probably a mix of both.

And I wouldn't describe how I (a so-called "detractor") feel about this muted response "satisfaction." It's hard to be satisfied about the failure of other people who believe they are doing the right thing, even if they aren't. I'm relieved it's over with, but it must suck to be someone dedicated to the cause of Kony 2012 right now. I feel for them, and hope they can find a more worthy cause to put their effort in to.

So we meet again, Jack.....

(i know we haven't actually met, but I just wanted to do a Noir film scene)

Kony 2012? What's that? A presidential campaign? A new game?

maybe it would have been better to stage this event pre public wank but what do i know.

This was to be expected, after the massive publicity hit with one of the heads jerking off in public and the reveal that Invisible Children weren't as noble as everyone thought. Then of course there's Uganda telling everyone Kony is not a problem and hasn't been for a long time, then telling IC to stop what they're doing, essentially people have researched and woken up.

Although it was pretty embarassing with the posters here in Australia. They printed out and posted all the same ones they use in the states.... with the democratic and republican symbols on them. They clearly didn't think that one through.

They're surprised at this?
The only reason Kony 2012 was so successful is because of the creepy self-righteous propaganda aimed at teens (which I hate to be a 'demographic' right now) and that nobody actually had to DO anything!
That was the key, it let people feel like they were actually doing some good in the world (not really) by just clicking a button.

But when it comes crunch time, almost everyone buckled.

My area was covered in posters.
I took it upon myself to rip down any one with in reaching distance.

Spartan1362:
My area was covered in posters.
I took it upon myself to rip down any one with in reaching distance.

I did the same, High five!

Doclector:
I'd hope that this entire thing, the con involving the donations, the eventual non turn out, everything about it teaches people the dangers of false facebook activism. People go around on facebook liking pictures of starving kids whilst never actually doing anything about it, it lets people who do nothing feel that they've done "their part".

Ahh god, I love the horrible sillyness of Facebook.

"JohnSmith liked [starving children in africa]"

It always makes me chuckle at how horribly that can be interpreted.

It flopped because Cover The Night was basically a front to get a mental patient money so he could fulfil his dreams of making music videos. 70% of the funds went to merchandise, barely any went to the actual cause. Everyone who was fooled into supporting the nut job realised how foolish they were, and realised that liking a Facebook page would do nothing, so it fell apart. It's scary how easily people are influenced these days.

By the way, yes, I know Kony is a bad man, but there is so much bad in the world, and so many bigger problems like third world hunger, that he is quite far down the list of priorities methinks.

Ultratwinkie:
http://www.vancouversun.com/Kony+2012+campaign+fails+offline+Vancouver/6498106/story.html

[quote]

"The point of Cover the Night is for our community of supporters to give something back, pick up trash, paint schools, some direct, local action," said O'Dell.

If anything, they're putting out more trash with those goddamn posters.

Yesterday when we were driving around I saw maybe three of these posters. Looks like Kony 2012 is expiring a lot sooner than December 31.

I knew it was going to fizzle out the moment I heard about "Kony 2012". The entire movement was based on acting upon emotion, not logic. That kind of thing is powerful, but never lasts long.

It is funny though about how almost everyone here seems to be rejecting Kony, yet when the movment started the majority of people( yes, even on the Escapist) were in favour of it's support.

I got one through my door in England lol... I thought they established that Kony isn't active anymore and the guys campaign was all a big con?

And he got caught masturbating in public or something :/

There's still people who are campaigning this? Wat.

Ultratwinkie:

The Kony 2012 Cover the Night campaign woke up to awkward questions on Saturday after activists failed to blanket cities with posters of the wanted Ugandan warlord, Joseph Kony.

The movement's phenomenal success in mobilising young people online, following last month's launch of a 29-minute documentary which went viral, flopped in trying to turn that into real world actions.

The campaign aimed to plaster "every city, on every block" around the world with posters, stickers and murals of Kony to pressure governments into hunting down the guerrilla leader, who has waged a brutal, decades-long insurgency in central Africa.

But paltry turnouts on Friday at locations across north America, Europe and Australia left cities largely unplastered and the movement's credibility damaged. "What happened to all the fuss about Kony?" said one typical tweet. "Kony is so last month," said another.

Elissa O'Dell, 24, an activist in Los Angeles, put a brave face on the fact just her and two other volunteers attended the painting of a mural on an auto dealership off Santa Monica Boulevard.

"It's just been us the entire day," she said on Friday. Another campaigner took photographs while an artist painted the mural, which said "Our liberty is bound together".

"The point of Cover the Night is for our community of supporters to give something back, pick up trash, paint schools, some direct, local action," said O'Dell. So, where was everybody? "We didn't expect people here," said O'Dell. Supporters were to place posters in coffeeshops, fire and police stations and other locations. "The response has been terrific. Tomorrow people will wake up and see our posters everywhere."

But on Saturday the boulevard, and according to reports the rest of LA and other cities, were largely free of Kony.

The campaign also tanked on twitter. "Find the silence around #Kony'12 interesting. It's muted embarrassment from prior supporters, mixed with quiet smugness from detractors," said one tweet.

Well looks like the ship finally officially sank. Th cover the night event failed, as it failed to gain much more than a few supporters. It was so bad a couple protests only managed to gain around 50 people.

So what do you think? Is this a good or bad thing?

Personally, I find this a victory. It shows there is hope for the greater populace, that emotional fervor has almost no staying power if there is valid criticism. Still, its sad that money didn't go a worthwhile charity instead.

Heh... and people thought I was being pessimistic when I said I doubt this "Kony' 12" will do anything worthwhile. This was just a internet fad...

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked